• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Spring TV shows will you be watching? - 2014 Edition -

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Vert boil

Seriously. Just a total deluge of TV this week.

childrenshospital18pr04.gif

OMG... there's a "Heavy Metal" TV show and I'm only finding about it a year late?!

It probably sucks, too. And I'm okay with that as long as there's space adventuring and alien boobs.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

Glee - Fox - 8/7c

About a Boy - NBC - 9/8c

Rizzoli & Isles - TNT - 9/8c

Growing Up Fisher - NBC - 9:30/8:30c

Perception - TNT - 10/9c

Mind Games - ABC - 10/9c

Game of Arms - AMC - 10/9c

Reviews:

NY Post - Father knows best in ‘Growing Up Fischer’

After a while it starts to feel a bit like “The Wonder Years,” with Baker in the role played by Fred Savage and Bateman as that show’s unseen narrator Daniel Stern, commenting sagely on how Mel and Joyce’s divorce has brought the family closer together in so many different ways. Still, Growing Up Fisher has potential, and Simmons tackles his role with good-natured authority, without descending into glibness.

Newsday - Review: NBC's 'Growing up Fisher'

Good-hearted and gentle, Fisher struggles on the "funny" front.

RogerEbert.com - Review: Growing up Fisher

One of the worst comedy pilots of the 2013-14 season relies entirely on two-dimensional character tropes.

AV Club - Mind Games is a kinda creepy series about doing good

The dialogue often crackles; the educational aspect even makes exposition fun to watch. Zahn is quite good, and the supporting cast already has an entertaining ensemble energy.

Variety - TV Review: ‘Mind Games’

Conceptually interesting but rather thin in its “Mission: Impossible”-type moorings, the show weaves in some unexpected threads but does little to warrant a second thought.

TV Guide - TV Review: Mind Games

ABC hits a new low with Mind Games, an inexplicably and ridiculously convoluted drama which achieves the rare trick of making Christian Slater look like a master of understated acting.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm surprised at the tepid feedback on Growing Up Fisher. I thought the pilot did a good job of establishing who all the characters are, I thought it was sincere, I thought it set the tone for the show as a positive, loving exploration of family love. The Wonder Years was what immediately jumped out at me, and not just because of the narration framing. The scene where the boy meets the girl living in his apartment, despite lasting all of 10 seconds over the final credit roll, seemed the most directly evocative. I mean, a comedy pilot is a comedy pilot, you need to spend your time establishing characters and that means you have limited time to actually develop jokes, but I thought as far as they go it was pretty promising.

From the review on Ebert's site:
One of the worst comedy pilots of the 2013-14 season relies entirely on two-dimensional character tropes. Dad is challenged but refuses to let it define him. Mom is trying desperately to relate to her daughter. Son is awkward and uncomfortable with girls (there’s no other kind of pre-teen boy in sitcom TV).

Dad is secretly vulnerable and scared because he's alone for the first time in his life and wants to reach out to his son; Mom, finally unburdened from her marriage, wants to live a little; Son is fiercely protective of his father--and also a pretty gregarious boy who uses his intelligence and things he parrots from his father to try to act more adult than he is. This, incidentally, is also part of the characterization of the boy's friend, who speaks like a kid's impression of an adult from television. Ta-da, instant depth.

Every joke, every line, every beat is built around either a “I can’t believe a blind guy did that” joke or the lesson learned from his atypical parenting

The show is told from the son's point of view. Kids view their parents as indestructible heroes. The gags are meant to be a little supra-realistic, a little cartoonish.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

Survivor: Cagayan — Brawn vs. Brains vs. Beauty - CBS - 8/7c

Mixology - ABC - 9:30/8:30c

The Americans - FX - 10/9c

Legit - FXX - 10/9c

Ali G: Rezurection - FXX - 10:30/9:30c

Reviews:

Entertainment Weekly - Mixology (2014)

If you like--or like zoning out to--slick and shiny romantic comedies in the vein of New Year's Eve and Valentine's Day, Mixology is the show for you. But underneath the glossy, Ryan Seacrest-produced banner, this cocktail actually has some genuine sweetness and originality.

TV Guide - Wednesday Review: Mixology

While some of the flirtatious banter in these random odd couplings can be witty and even winsome, after a few rounds (I made it through three episodes), I was ready to close out my tab.

Tim Goodman - Mixology: TV Review

Mixology is a tone-deaf, poorly executed, badly written series that, in the parlance of the show, kind of rapes comedy.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

The Red Road - Sundance - 9/8c

Grey's Anatomy - ABC - 9/8c

Scandal - ABC - 10/9c

Portlandia - IFC - 10/9c

Review with Forrest Macneil - Comedy Central - 10/9c

Vikings - History - 10/9c

Reviews:

Philadelphia Inquirer - 'Red Road' continues SundanceTV's roll

The Red Road may not be SundanceTV's strongest drama, but it has a hypnotic power, a strange rhythm of dread that makes it far more interesting than most network dramas.

SF Gate - 'Red Road' review: Intriguing premise but no credibility

Instead of thinking so much about complicated moral themes and Shakespearean redos, the show's creator and writers would have been better off trying to make the story credible and the characters three-dimensional and realistic.

TV Guide - Thursday TV: The Red Road

A lugubrious six-episode drama that's as overwrought as it is underwhelming.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Legit's season two premiere was a typical episode of Legit - a poignant moment and a few funny lines sprinkled throughout an otherwise terrible episode, with a great song playing over the credits. I still wish FX had cancelled it.

What are the chances of Almost Human getting a renewal for season 2?

It's on the bubble.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Red Road was very interesting to me. It's clearly a flawed work; really stupid dialogue, not particularly gripping acting, a sort of dark muddy look; the tone is hardboiled to the power of ten throughout... but, it's also very refreshing in other ways. Not only in its exploration of white-native American race relations, but also as a portrait of a small working poor town. I want to see more for this reason. The AV Club review of the series (C-) focused on the negatives, but I think there's enough unique and original here to merit a charitable approach, despite some thematic similarities with Top of the Lake. Momoa is fine, he seems to have a pretty deep understanding of his character's inner history/life and it comes through in the way he carries himself and moves.

I have no idea what Sundance's business model is, but I hope they keep producing original programming.

Commercials for Resurrection during the Oscars looked pathetic in comparison to Les Revenants.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

Bates Motel - A&E - 9/8c

Those Who Kill - A&E - 10/9c

Bates Motel: After Hours - A&E - 11/10c

Reviews:

SF Gate - 'Those Who Kill' review: Chloë Sevigny stands out

As has been the case in so many films and TV shows, Sevigny is the most compelling reason to watch Those Who Kill, but if the scripts remain as carefully crafted as that of Monday's pilot, Sevigny will have found a vehicle worthy of her singular skills.

Slant - Those Who Kill: Season One

Laughably unoriginal, the greatest novelty of creator Glen Morgan's series is that his predictably troubled detective is a woman rather than the usual thirtysomething white dude with three-day stubble and a morning hankering for bourbon.

NY Times - An Added Helping of Murder

It’s histrionic and preposterous without being entertaining, and those qualities infect all the performances.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Ratsky might have claimed it as our go-to Cinemax guy, but I can't remember anyone else asking for it. It's not airing until this Summer.

I would like to make the thread, if that's alright. :)

Also, Starz posted a full trailer for "Power". That will also premiere this Summer.

That trailer didn't really make much of an impression on me one way or another. Eh. It does give off some mild Boss/Magic City vibes though, which isn't necessarily a good thing.

- Deadline: AMC Sets June Premiere Date For Drama Series ‘Halt And Catch Fire’
AMC’s new 10-episode drama series Halt And Catch Fire will debut on Sunday June 1 at 10 PM. Starring Lee Pace, Scoot McNairy, Mackenzie Davis, Kerry Bishé and Toby Huss, Halt And Catch Fire captures the rise of the PC era in the early 1980s, during which an unlikely trio – a visionary, an engineer and a prodigy – take personal and professional risks in the race to build a computer that will change the world as they know it. Series is created by Chris Cantwell and Chris Rogers and executive produced by showrunner Jonathan Lisco and Gran Via Production’s Mark Johnson and Melissa Bernstein. In addition, Halt And Catch Fire will make its world debut this Saturday, March 8 during the Film portion of the SXSW Festival in Austin, TX. An early screening of the pilot, held at the AMC Theater at Violet Crown Cinemas, will be followed by a panel discussion featuring Lisco, Cantwell, Rogers and select cast.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

Once Upon a Time in Wonderland - ABC - 8/7c

Suits - USA - 9/8c

St. George - FX

Sirens - USA - 10/9c

Reviews:

AV Club - George Lopez returns to prime-time TV, but not to form

It smells like something that’s been tested in focus groups to within an inch of its life.

NY Times - A Virtuous Divorced Man, Pestered to Date Again - In FX’s ‘Saint George,’ George Lopez Enters a Lowbrow World

George’s mother (Olga Merediz), the show’s only amusing character, asks him in the premiere. “You’re fat, boring and stupid.” Two of those, at least, apply to this show.

NY Post - Lopez’s new ‘Saint George’ is a one-dimensional disappointment

The sitcom is cookie-cutter and one-dimensional--with thinly written characters and, most notably, a hyperactive laugh track that’s really grating.

AV Club - Sirens is low-key but surprisingly funny

It’s not exactly groundbreaking, but it’s fun to watch and slightly addictive.

SF Gate - 'Sirens' review: Not bad TV, but scripts need work

The characters are charming and likable, but the show is strangely humor-challenged.

TV Guide - Thursday Review: On USA, Sirens

Confusing tastelessness and cheap profanity with actual humor, this misfire from executive producer Denis Leary feels like a series of limp outtakes from the more daring Rescue Me.

beat

Also, Andy Daly's Review, which I am hyped for pretty much just on the strength of Andy Daly and the AV Club's glowing review.

And in Canada, Dave Foley's new sitcom "Spun Out".

beat

BTW, I've hate-watched two episodes of Mixology now and I gotta stop. It's not just aggressively bad, but the show actively hates everyone. At least with 2BG, the lead two characters like each other.

Calculon's sentiment has never been so true: "That was so terrible I think you gave me cancer!"

beat

Hey, I took the hit and watched the pilot for "Spun Out".

Good things about it:

* Dave Foley is still great.
* the office set layout evokes Newsradio fairly well, if that's what they were going for.

Bad things about it:

* laugh track's way too loud.
* jokes are terrible.
* dialogue is bad.
* plotting is really implausible.
* editing and directing are subpar.
* The show doesn't focus on Foley, and pretty much everyone else is not good enough to save the wretched writing. The actual main character is not good. (He's the main character because he has a roommate (ex-girlfriend, too broke to move out) and his apartment actually has a set.)

CTV is airing the second ep tomorrow, so I might as well watch and see if they got better at making TV.

Hey, it's not as painful as Mixology. But Ground Floor, despite no one being as funny in it as Dave Foley is even in this, is still a far better freshman multi-cam.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

Once Upon a Time - ABC - 8/7c

Cosmos: A Space-Time Odyssey - Fox - 9/8c

Resurrection - ABC - 9/8c

Revenge - ABC - 10/9c

Lindsay - OWN - 10/9c

Reviews:

Mo Ryan - 'Cosmos' On Fox: The Universe Is Awesome And Science Is Too

There are a lot of shows on TV that are fun, many that are educational and a number that are beautiful to look at, but it's rare for a show to have all of those qualities in abundance.

Vulture - Seitz: Don't Look for a God Cameo in the New Cosmos

Sagan was on record as being agnostic, but he carved out a space within the 1980 Cosmos for believers as well, and some of his more oracular turns of phrase convinced many people of faith that he was, if not an ally, then at least not an adversary. This new Cosmos is not so easygoing.

NY Times - Hitchhiking in a Starry Reboot of a Journey Through the Universe - Neil deGrasse Tyson Hosts ‘Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey’

Where Sagan’s narrative often approached poetry, Dr. Tyson’s can sound like an overwrought, overamplified planetarium show.... The animation used to present his story resembles low-budget anime and isn’t terribly absorbing. Bruno deserves better. Nit-picking aside, if the new Cosmos doesn’t deliver quite the punch of the original, it’s because this isn’t 1980.

San Jose Mercury - Review: ABC's 'Resurrection' is no zombie scarefest

It's not as atmospheric and artful, nor does it exude the same visceral sense of place [as French series "Les Revenants"]. But taken on its own, it is an absorbing, well-paced, thoughtfully rendered production with a quality cast that ranks as one of the better new winter shows.

Alan Sepinwall - Review: ABC's 'Resurrection' suffers badly compared to 'The Returned'

It is non-terrible, but when there is a vastly better take on the exact same idea, the only excuses for watching this one are a lack of a Netflix subscription (and you can also buy the episodes on Amazon and iTunes) or a violent medical allergy to reading subtitles.

SFGate - 'Resurrection' review: Zombie show is DOA

Nothing could bring this show life.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I've been getting pummeled with online ads for Resurrection that loudly proclaim "everyone on Twitter" loves it. Always a great sign when your pull quotes are just one word utterances by random people.

Blader

I've been getting pummeled with online ads for Resurrection that loudly proclaim "everyone on Twitter" loves it. Always a great sign when your pull quotes are just one word utterances by random people.

"What is #resurrection" x10000

Everyone loves it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom