• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #9 | More Dan Meets The Eye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, although you have things like The Simpsons in HD being all cropped because they made it fit widescreen televisions... all because people can't handle the black bars on the side of their TV. Assuming we all end up watching stuff in super widescreen or even in the VR headsets, I can only imagine the new complaints that people will have with old content on newer display technologies. lol

Ugh. That was awful. Although, in my opinion the DNR applied to it was even worse. So much detail was scrubbed out in the guise of cleaning the image. That popular "Old man yells out cloud" image was so fuzzy, you could barely make out the text. Thankfully the streaming versions coming this fall are OAR, uncut, and untouched. On that Patrick stream earlier today, he said Fox is considering doing this again with the X-Files. Maybe after the backlash fans had, they'll change their mind before it's too late. From what I under stand, the new widescreen versions of the Simpsons (Seasons 1 to 19 1/2) will remain the only versions shown on FXX.

As to your point on those super-wide TVs, hopefully the technology could get to the point were you could bend the ends of the screen to the back of the TV so when you want to watch 16:9 content you can if you wish, but when you want 21:9 content you could bend the screen back from around the back and make the TV its full width. Does that make sense?

Ughh... I was working in a video rental place in the early '00 and this was the worst... We actually made displays to leave on the counters next to the cash register that showed scenes from Starwars Episode 2 in both format to show people that the fullscreen actually had less content than the widescreen.

But you know what is fucking stupid? When you go to watch a movie on your nice HD TV and you get a cool Blu-Ray and it still has letter boxing on the top and bottom. That is fucking stupid.

I kind of wish they'd watched a clip of Boohbah just to see their reaction. My younger brother used to watch it when we arrived home from school. Even as an 11 year old my brain was telling me it was fucked up nonsense.

I mean look at it.

That sucks... but kinda funny still lol

oUStH3T.png
noooooo!!!!! his vita :(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ugh. That was awful. Although, in my opinion the DNR applied to it was even worse. So much detail was scrubbed out in the guise of cleaning the image. That popular "Old man yells out cloud" image was so fuzzy, you could barely make out the text. Thankfully the streaming versions coming this fall are OAR, uncut, and untouched. On that Patrick stream earlier today, he said Fox is considering doing this again with the X-Files. Maybe after the backlash fans had, they'll change their mind before it's too late. From what I under stand, the new widescreen versions of the Simpsons (Seasons 1 to 19 1/2) will remain the only versions shown on FXX.

As to your point on those super-wide TVs, hopefully the technology could get to the point were you could bend the ends of the screen to the back of the TV so when you want to watch 16:9 content you can if you wish, but when you want 21:9 content you could bend the screen back from around the back and make the TV its full width. Does that make sense?

Oh shit, I didn't even think about what would happen to X-files if it ever got re-released. I hope they don't ruin the show by forcing the early seasons to be widescreen.
And DNR is freaking terrible. But people want "clearer" pictures now. :/

Having a physically transforming TV sounds like a "Jeff" solution to a problem that really isn't a problem... but I bet someone will make it because there will be demand for a TV that hides black bars. lol

But you know what is fucking stupid? When you go to watch a movie on your nice HD TV and you get a cool Blu-Ray and it still has letter boxing on the top and bottom. That is fucking stupid.

That's because HDTV's are 16:9. Most major blockbuster movies are filmed at an even wider aspect ratio to make for a more immersive movie in theaters. There are actually new TVs that are made to be that wide (21:9), but they just did not do well because there was little to no content. You can't expect to put a Blu-Ray movie on a 21:9 TV and have a perfect full screen image with no black bars because the disk would be unfortunately be non-anamorphic on these TVs. This was an issue with older widescreen DVDs on current HDTVs where you would be saddled with bars all around the image (top, bottom, and both sides).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/21:9_aspect_ratio

Also, FYI, there are essentially 3 aspect ratios for TVs 4:3 (the AR your standard square TV), 16:9 (the AR of your standard HDTV), and 21:9 (the AR of superwide HDTVs). Like I said in another post, I hope tech can get to a good enough point where you can have a 21:9 TV where you can fold the edges of the screen around to the back of the TV, transforming it into a 16:9 TV to accommodate for content.

Scizzy

Guys, first Dan's Vita is "stolen" and then a nearly impossible event "happens" to occur that startles Rorie into dropping his Vita in the toilet. I think we can all see what's going on here: Sony is making a dastardly attempt to boost Vita sales by ruining the ones that have already been bought and they're starting with Giant Bomb!

man, that sucks for Rorie, he loved that device

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Guys, first Dan's Vita is "stolen" and then a nearly impossible event "happens" to occur that startles Rorie into dropping his Vita in the toilet. I think we can all see what's going on here: Sony is making a dastardly attempt to boost Vita sales by ruining the ones that have already been bought and they're starting with Giant Bomb!

Except, if you remember all those Bombcast emails, the Vita is apparently not in stock anywhere. lol

If you're going to be awful, you might as well zoom in so it fills the whole screen like the monster you are.

Oh shit, I didn't even think about what would happen to X-files if it ever got re-released. I hope they don't ruin the show by forcing the early seasons to be widescreen.
And DNR is freaking terrible. But people want "clearer" pictures now. :/

Having a physically transforming TV sounds like a "Jeff" solution to a problem that really isn't a problem... but I bet someone will make it because there will be demand for a TV that hides black bars. lol

The same treatment is being given to The Wire as well. I think it's a miraculous feat of forward thinking that WB shot all their 90's shows (especially Friends and ER) in 16:9, but aired them in 4:3 until widescreen TVs became commonplace. The older episodes were then easily switched to the already in place 16:9 broadcasts. I wish all TV studios had this in mind.

justjim89

I had a nightmare that Dan got a tumblr and got so many asks about watching god damn anime that he quit Giant Bomb and moved back to Minnesota.

Eh, I watch a movie to watch what the movie's trying to show. If I just wanted to jack off to my screen being filled up I'd just stick a USB drive of bmps on there.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The same treatment is being given to The Wire as well. I think it's a miraculous feat of forward thinking that WB shot all their 90's shows (especially Friends and ER) in 16:9, but aired them in 4:3 until widescreen TVs became commonplace. The older episodes were then easily switched to the already in place 16:9 broadcasts. I wish all TV studios had this in mind.
Yeah, some people were smart enough to block for both full and widescreen because they saw it coming. Babylon 5, another WB show, was like this too.

Myggen

Yup, it's pretty fantastic. I'm just glad that The Wire is getting that treatment, such a great show and season 4 is the best season of any TV show ever.

edit: Did we ever get any indication on why UPF was yesterday, not today? Is it that Destiny event or whatever it was?

Rainmaker

Banned
For some reason I ended up buying Sims 4. Was adding some people to my town and noticed someone had made the duders. I downloaded them and edited them a bit but still haven't gotten them exactly right.

Anyway, I decided their house should at least be inspired by their office so I came up with this.

6AStTS8.png

It's not exact because... well, it can't be and plus they need to live here. Oh well, I kind of dig it. I took some creative liberties, of course. Also, this game isn't too shabby for a base game. I miss a lot from the old Sims but I'm really enjoying this.

popo

Or Rorie is a cat burglar and was destroying the evidence.

Zaph

So I assume several Thunder in Paradise DVD box sets are already on the way to the office.

Hand delivered by Terry 'Hulk' Hogan.

Man, and I thought getting a new sega cd for $60 back in the day was a bad deal. At least that platform had a real awesome version of final fight and snatcher.

MegaCD had Night Trap, BC Racers, Slam City with Scottie Pippen, Road Avenger and Kris Kross Make My Video!

What more could you need?

I seriously paid cash money for all those games...

edit. Road Avenger had a fucking sick intro in spite of being anime. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CNf3luFiLw

Shit, and how can I forget After Burner III?

Man, and I thought getting a new sega cd for $60 back in the day was a bad deal. At least that platform had a real awesome version of final fight and snatcher.

There is no game that redeems the cdi, though. Shit, even the jaguar had a good doom port and AVP.

Also, FYI, there are essentially 3 aspect ratios for TVs 4:3 (the AR your standard square TV), 16:9 (the AR of your standard HDTV), and 21:9 (the AR of superwide HDTVs). Like I said in another post, I hope tech can get to a good enough point where you can have a 21:9 TV where you can fold the edges of the screen around to the back of the TV, transforming it into a 16:9 TV to accommodate for content.

If you need to do this, your OCD has reached unhealthy levels. Just ignore the sides...

For some reason I ended up buying Sims 4. Was adding some people to my town and noticed someone had made the duders. I downloaded them and edited them a bit but still haven't gotten them exactly right.

Anyway, I decided their house should at least be inspired by their office so I came up with this.

6AStTS8.png

It's not exact because... well, it can't be and plus they need to live here. Oh well, I kind of dig it. I took some creative liberties, of course. Also, this game isn't too shabby for a base game. I miss a lot from the old Sims but I'm really enjoying this.

That's pretty cool. See if you can make their Sausalito office next :p

JonCha

I like watching MGScanlon but at the same time sometime's it's really hard work. If I had a copy of it to hand I'd probably just play it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom