• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct NA on 9/4 at 3 PM PT for Bayonetta 2 for WiiU

Boss★Moogle;128551028 said:
While I'm relieved at the M rating however I still notice that Bayo 2 is Pegi 16 and Bayo 1 Pegi 18 so it's definitely toned down at least a little.

sloth-no.gif

PEGI is weirdly nondescriptive with their ratings.

I'm going to guess it basically comes down to Fuck. Which I think Ninja Gaiden 3, also published by Nintendo, had in it like two years ago, so it's probably not a Nintendo mandate or anything.

Monocle

Thats the thing, i bet you there are people out there that will have a hard time with Bayo.
Well... that's what Easy Automatic and the touch controls are for. Unlike TW101, if you know which buttons make you attack and dodge, you can probably cheese your way through any battle on Normal difficulty, and gradually improve along the way.

I found W101 way more accessible than the original Bayonetta.

I still can't manage to remember combos or pull off dodge offset, let alone delve into weapon switching and the like.

This is day 1 regardless though :p
Your experience probably isn't typical, because TW101 is way more mechanically complex than Bayonetta.

In Bayonetta you have:

- A core move list that your weapons modify but never change completely. The combo inputs remains more or less the same whether you have pistols or a katana or a whip or lightning/flame claws. Basic reliable combos like PKP work for every single weapon if I remember correctly.

- Logical button inputs organized by function, and mechanics that modify your basic skills in simple ways. Pressing the punch or kick button gives you a punch or kick. Holding punch or kick extends the attack by shooting bullets or charging it up or something else, according to your weapon. This works for almost all attacks with almost all weapons. The dodge button is tied to evasive movement. Tap once to dodge, twice to transform into your speedy panther form. Dodging when an attack is about to hit you activates Witch Time, where the enemies are stuck in slow motion while you move at normal speed.

- Two sets of weapons. One button switches between the two weapon sets you pre-select on your inventory screen.

- Dodge offset, a logical extension of the basic combo system. You simply insert a dodge during any extended attack. If you take PKP for example, you can extend any hit by holding the button. So if you want to extend the kick, you do P(hold K)P. To apply dodge offset to that hit, you input P(hold K)(dodge)P. This allows you to evade an attack during your middle hit and finish the combo right after your dodge.

In TW101 you have:

- Multiple functions per input and per attack type. Unlike Bayonetta the button functions are not consistent, and there are more factors to deal with because you control a team instead of a single character. Example: X is your team attack button. A regular team attack strikes an enemy with your supporting team members. Repeated team attacks will cause members to cling to the enemy like Pikmin and deal damage over time. The more team members cling to an enemy, the more vulnerable your leader is and the lower your attack power becomes (you have fewer members for unite morphs). After you deal enough damage this way, the enemy will be stunned and vulnerable to throws and aerial combos. Team attack can be charged if upgraded, unlike other types of attacks. Team attack doubles as your lock-on function by tagging enemies with reticles for a few seconds. Dashing with your leader character can call back attacking team members. The team attack button is also tied to team unite morphs, which let you form up to four auto-attacking weapons in addition to the weapon that you control. These weapons can all be different, because TW101 gives you...

- Access to every weapon at once. Weapons (aka unite morphs) are selected by drawing their symbols on the gamepad or inputting their symbols like fighting game commands on the analog stick. There are seven standard weapons plus bonus weapons and alternate modes for the gun. The size of the symbol you draw directly controls the size and attack power (and mode) of your weapon. Equipping weapons requires careful management, because your team members are sometimes vulnerable during your symbol inputs (since free members are used to form the lines you draw), and the direction your symbol points toward controls where your weapon will be facing when formed, and sometimes the environment can prevent you from drawing in certain areas, and your number of free team members limits the max size of your line. Equipping a weapon involves a further layer of management because weapons slow down your movement speed. You can queue up a weapon by drawing its symbol, pressing the attack button to confirm the morph, then canceling out of it. Now the attack button will automatically form the queued morph. Additionally, the drawing mechanic does much more than selecting weapons. You use it to reveal hidden items by encircling their hiding places, collect items and money, recruit team members, throw enemies and objects, revive fallen team members, form context-specific morphs like ladders and bridges, etc.

- The Wonderful 101 includes almost all of Bayonetta's mechanics, including its own version of Witch Time, dodge offset, and parrying and countering.

Do you see what I'm talking about? If it seems like I went into too much detail, I really just scratched the surface.

With Bayonetta you have a very straightforward character action game with intuitive controls. With The Wonderful 101 you have a radical reinvention of the character action genre where actions are distributed across a group of units, and the intricacies of team management complicate every mechanic by adding factors like the positions of your leader and support members, the number and status of your support members, your battery level (charge level limits attack power. No charge means you can't attack or dodge or absorb/reflect enemy attacks), how many support members to commit to specific actions (large weapons commit more members. If a weapon breaks, those members are knocked out for a while. You need team members to dodge, and increase your movement speed with Unite Ball, and absorb attacks with Unite Guts, and shield your leader character from damage), and much more.

The Wonderful 101 throws a mountain of complexity on the heads of players and barely explains a thing. The quality of this game's design is insane, but it's overwhelming and unforgiving. Bayonetta, on the other hand, is possible for anyone to pick up and play if they've ever tried an action game before, and the more complicated stuff like dodge offset is a simple extension of basic mechanics that become very easy to perform with a little practice.

Lernaean

Banned
Btw guys, for those of you with experience with GAME but not living in UK, i have a couple of questions.
They say they do international shipping using royal mail, but also say they ship preorders earlier. In your experience, do international (Europe) preorders arrive in time?
Also i want to ask about packaging. Does GAME pack them well, or is it piss poor packaging like Amazon UK?
Thanks in advance.

PS: i approve of this last post of yours Monocle.

Damn, Monocle. That's some good shit and exactly why I don't feel like I'm playing the same kind of thing. Kamiya always turns the tables.

Nope, Bayonetta 2 is rated E10+ in order to appeal to Billy and Susie.

Nintendo fully funded a sequel no other publisher wanted anything to do with so they could make her a family-friendly mascot for everyone to enjoy.

e5NFFzQ.gif

I can't wait to try the camera mode DLC and watch this scene from another angle. LOL!

Monocle

That triple scythe is everything. I can't tell what the hell is going on during its combos, but it's awesome. I'm looking forward to exploring the move list myself.

Also Luka has clearly been hanging out with Uncle Dante, judging by his new style.

Who's that demon frog in the last pic? Don't remember him from Bayonetta 1.
Brand new demon summon. He pops out during Umbran Climax-enhanced combos as well as finishers for some giant enemies.

Hermii

Makes me sad there probably won't be an Iwata Asks for this game. The previous ones with platinum were some of the best ones.

That triple scythe is everything. I can't tell what the hell is going on during its combos, but it's awesome. I'm looking forward to exploring the move list myself.

Also Luka has clearly been hanging out with Uncle Dante, judging by his new style.

Brand new demon summon. He pops out during Umbran Climax-enhanced combos as well as finishers for some giant enemies.
Awesome, thank you! Might have to get this now.

correojon

Haven´t had a chance to watch the direct yet, is anything shown about the practice mode? In Bayo1 you could press a button during loading screens to practice combos, but it was just you in an infinite empty room with no enemies to try air juggles for example.
A practice mode in which you could choose an enemy with infinite health to try combos on would be great.

TW101 didn´t have a practice mode either so I have little hope for this :(

Eolz

Haven´t had a chance to watch the direct yet, is anything shown about the practice mode? In Bayo1 you could press a button during loading screens to practice combos, but it was just you in an infinite empty room with no enemies to try air juggles for example.
A practice mode in which you could choose an enemy with infinite health to try combos on would be great.

TW101 didn´t have a practice mode either so I have little hope for this :(

It was shown in the direct yes. No idea if it's just a loading screen or a separate mode though, but apparently you could press +/start at anytime to stop this practice mode.

exmoor

Neo Member
after watching this direct (especially the trailer at the end) my hype level went from wicked weaves to infernal weaves in umbran climax mode! can't wait anymore...must resist play bayo1 with shitty framerate on my ps3 again to satisfy my umbra witch needs! :)

Watched both the NA and Japan Directs. I'm more hyped for this game than Smash. I thought it was weird how they had these NOA people talking on it when the Japanese one just had the developers, but whatever. I guess NOA wants to talk more now after the success of the Treehouse Live at E3. How about you guys put together a nice Direct about this year's NA games for us now? It's been a while.

I thought Platinum was going yo try to do someghing like Anarchy Reigns with the multillayer for a second, but I guess not.

RagnarokX

I'm going to guess it basically comes down to Fuck. Which I think Ninja Gaiden 3, also published by Nintendo, had in it like two years ago, so it's probably not a Nintendo mandate or anything.

Hell, maybe PEGI gave it a lower rating just because they're stuck with a pre-1994 view of Nintendo's policies like other people.

TheMoon

Boss★Moogle;128548730 said:
Is this game rated M? I'm just so scared that it will be heavily watered down to better fit in with Nintendo.

Edit: I see that the Bayo 2 alone is rated Pegi 16 and the pack with Bayo 1 is Pegi 18, that does not reassure me one bit.

Please leave your outdated misconceptions in the 90s. The game is rated M as you can see on the box. For god's sake, Nintendo asked them to remove the undershirt on the Link costume!

Please.

Kouriozan

Yeah, in Bayonetta 2 you can see more skin than in Bayonetta 1, and there is more sexy poses.
People scared at this point didn't bother watching any footage it seems.
It looks like they're using Super Famicom color buttons in the practice mode. This just makes me want Bayonetta on the new 3DS. lol

Nice catch!

It looks like they're using Super Famicom color buttons in the practice mode. This just makes me want Bayonetta on the new 3DS. lol

Kamiya said that he´d love to make a Bayonetta spin off on a Nintendo handheld featuring Jeanne as a teacher.

That would be a perfect 4DS launch title.

exmoor

Neo Member
Are there any news about which resolution it will run? I can remember they said 1080p is targeted but I can't see how the WiiU HW can deliever that much going on on screen with 60 fps (which is confirmed I think) @ 1080p!

Eolz

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Nintendo coming back to this color scheme on their pads for their next console.

Are there any news about which resolution it will run? I can remember they said 1080p is targeted but I can't see how the WiiU HW can deliever that much going on on screen with 60 fps (which is confirmed I think) @ 1080p!
Heard by some already having the game (review version I suppose) it's 720p upscaled.

Monocle

Boss★Moogle;128548730 said:
Is this game rated M? I'm just so scared that it will be heavily watered down to better fit in with Nintendo.

Edit: I see that the Bayo 2 alone is rated Pegi 16 and the pack with Bayo 1 is Pegi 18, that does not reassure me one bit.
Have you seen the prologue? Lol. Bayonetta 2 is easily saucier than the original. Easily.

A school teacher?
I think I read somewhere that Jeanne's job when she's not angel hunting is being a school teacher. Bayonetta is a nun, of course.

That's definitely the case in the anime movie, at least.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Especially if you're looking for differences between the 16+ and 18+ ratings. The 18+ description is basically "Same as 16+ but a noth on top of that".

Anyway, that's not the essence of the game for me which would be purely the game design.

Monocle

Missed the Direct yesterday. Is it worth watching it or should I just watch the new trailer? What about spoilers (in both)?
Well worth watching for the new combat and co-op footage. The trailer is mind blowing but kind of spoiler heavy. I turned away at parts because I don't want a good look at mid to late game locations before I play.

The Direct itself showcases all of the weapons revealed so far, a new playable character, new costumes, a few new enemies, and a vehicle-like sequence.

mclem

- The whips can be equipped to your hands as well as your feet. (Their description on the shop screen says so.) I was pretty sure this would be possible, but it's nice to have confirmation on a weapon option I haven't actually seen yet.

The EU direct explicitly made a point of stating this, IIRC.

Monocle

The EU direct explicitly made a point of stating this, IIRC.
Was it different than the NA direct? If not, maybe I missed that part. My stream was pretty bad and I've only seen parts of the 720p recording on Youtube.

In any case I thought it was strange that none of the videos I've seen show the whips equipped to Bayonetta's arms. It's great to have that option.

scamander

Banned
There's three versions. The normal game which is the equivalent of $60 and has just the game. That's on the left. The one on the right is the Limited edition and comes with both Bayo 1 and 2 and the Book and it's the equivalent of $100.

Then you get this, which is what the US is getting as standard I presume. Bayo 1 and 2 in a cardboard box. Equivalent of $75.
BwuSMKdCEAA8Yu3.png

Well Goddamn. Europe is actually the ones getting screwed then.

Exactly, we actually have to pay more for a special edition to get both games.

What all of you are forgetting is that European prices include VAT, while US prices are pre-tax.

Special Edition: £39,99 on ShopTo, which are around $65 including tax and less than $55 without VAT. So no, we are not paying more, we only have a cheaper option for those who already have the first Bayonetta and don't need it for Wii U.

Top Bottom