• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V - PS3 vs PS4 Comparison Video (IGN)

OraleeWey

For comparison I took these on the Ps3 using the in game phone.

0_0.jpg

0_0.jpg

sugarless

Just noticed that the Mini-map seems a little different now. The black border around it is gone now... Should help it be a little less intrusive and fade into the background a bit better. I often played on either Mini-map Off or just with Blips because I always thought it was too intrusive. Wish we could make it smaller or more transparent... mods will take care of that fast.

I hated how the mini-map was holding your health display hostage if you wanted to have a more minimal display. I kinda need to see my health and armour regardless of my map display options. Hope this is more flexible on PS4.

Speaking of which does anyone know how Amazon pre-orders will claim the $1m in-game cash bonus?

cackhyena

Really don't want them to waste time on RDR remaster. I loved the game, but I'd rather them spend their time on a sequel. Leave old gen in the past.

Rembrandt

Banned
So no more news and am I just blind or did none of these videos have the release date on them? Idk why I keep thinking this is getting delayed.

also, if Rockstar takes one thing from their competitors, let it be sleeping dogs and let us open trunks/take hostages.

Scrawnton

So no more news and am I just blind or did none of these videos have the release date on them? Idk why I keep thinking this is getting delayed.

also, if Rockstar takes one thing from their competitors, let it be sleeping dogs and let us open trunks/take hostages.

It's not delayed.

I have a bad feeling heists won't release day 1
It won't. They would be advertising it like hell if it was releasing in less than 2 weeks. At this point we'll be lucky if we even see a glimpse of it by the time the PC version comes out. They should have pushed it for release along side the next gen console releases.

Thanks for the video.

Uh oh that chromatic aberration (colour) aliasing.
http://dezeer.kapsi.fi/gtav/GTA5.webm

And I can't unsee that repeating windows texture in the helicopter scene.

Hopefully the PC version will have (option for) real reflections on the vehicle mirrors.

I honestly don't see how most of you guys see this stuff or even find it. It's like looking at an awesome steak dinner and being angry the napkin has a tear in the lower left corner.

To each his own though, I guess we all enjoy things in a different way.

Yup :( also I would not be surprised if it is only on new gen systems now.
Yup expect them to say well it wasn't possible on last gen smh lol I traded my copy for FW
It won't. They would be advertising it like hell if it was releasing in less than 2 weeks. At this point we'll be lucky if we even see a glimpse of it by the time the PC version comes out. They should have pushed it for release along side the next gen console releases.

True, probably release it with the PC version and go with the excuse of having the extra time to polish the mode etc.. BS it's been a year

-griffy-

Banned

Both the first person trailer and this one have the November 18 release date (for PS4/XBO) at the end.

Spazznid

Bless you, man.
I guess that it would be something like this -

Transfer from PS3>PS4:
you can still play on PS3 and continue there, but progress won't be transfered to PS4

PS4>PC
the same - everything will be in its own console/pc database.

I really hope so.

Out of the several times I brought the subject up in GTA threads on here and on Reddit, nobody seemed to care in the slightest.

red731

I really hope so.

Out of the several times I brought the subject up in GTA threads on here and on Reddit, nobody seemed to care in the slightest.

Yeah. I bet they will clear this question when we are nearing the release on PC.
The thing I don't think will happen will be CURRENT GEN = PC progress since..PC (mods, cheats, playing with data saved in the cloud).

Nzyme32

I honestly don't see how most of you guys see this stuff or even find it. It's like looking at an awesome steak dinner and being angry the napkin has a tear in the lower left corner.

To each his own though, I guess we all enjoy things in a different way.

Sorry but that is a rubbish analogy considering how little that compares to the experience. CA when done poorly is really distracting and a nuisance for me. In this instance it isn't so obvious, yet this is just from brief gameplay. I would disable such CA use where possible if it was continually prominent and detrimental to the IQ.

Moreover, CA use and other effects designed to emulate film and other lens effects seem to completely miss the point that these are video games in the first place and shouldn't have to have this need to emulate it. By all means in some games it will make sense in certain areas (Alien Isolation is a great example of this), but applying it everywhere is often just needless and tacky looking when there is no context for it.

But of course you are right, each to their own indeed.

Nzyme32

I really hope so.

I'd imagine this is something they would discuss when they get round to building up to the PC release. I think it is certainly something they would have considered, and likely isn't hard for them to do.

drotahorror

CA is horrible and it's bad in everything. Please remove it Rockstar! It basically ruined Lords of the Fallen IQ on ps4.

All of that sounds way better in writing than it actually was to play. The game felt incredibly shallow. It was missing that special something that Rockstar seems to nail every time. Its obvious they pour over every detail in the worlds they create.

I'd say feeling "incredibly shallow" is Ubi's "special something" that they manage to nail every time :)

Think of them as different LODs. At that distance, probably all that is being rendered is a moving dot.It would be a waste of resources to render anything more.

Except if you want to wreak havok from a rooftop with a sniper or grenade launcher :-D Can you do that in GTA5? Can I shoot off a couple of rockets which hit shit a mile away and can I expect some debris and maybe even cops etc to be at the impact site when I arrive a few minutes later?

Sorry but that is a rubbish analogy considering how little that compares to the experience. CA when done poorly is really distracting and a nuisance for me. In this instance it isn't so obvious, yet this is just from brief gameplay. I would disable such CA use where possible if it was continually prominent and detrimental to the IQ.

Moreover, CA use and other effects designed to emulate film and other lens effects seem to completely miss the point that these are video games in the first place and shouldn't have to have this need to emulate it. By all means in some games it will make sense in certain areas (Alien Isolation is a great example of this), but applying it everywhere is often just needless and tacky looking when there is no context for it.

I don't know what CA is and it doesn't bother me, since I'm not really looking for it at all. All I see is a better looking game than last gen that will of course have some small flaws in visuals like all games do. But nothing that is going to make me stop look and take a picture of it to point out the flaw, and be distracted every time I see it.

Nzyme32

I don't know what CA is and it doesn't bother me, since I'm not really looking for it at all. All I see is a better looking game than last gen that will of course have some small flaws in visuals like all games do. But nothing that is going to make me stop look and take a picture of it to point out the flaw, and be distracted every time I see it.

I would agree with you in this instance since it really doesn't stick out till someone goes through the effort of highlighting it. It's probably more to do with me being a PC user who immediately sees something like that, and sees an eye sore that should be easily removed in an options menu. And I have a hatred of games pretending to follow the conventions of films unnecessarily.

I think the game looks fantastic. The only thing that bugs me so far is the hit and miss reflections, lack of functioning reflections from mirrors (an annoying oversight when considering first person) and minor pop in here and there.

Well of course it doesn't bother you if you have no idea what it even is, lol. :p

These would be extreme examples of CA:

Chromatic_aberration_(comparison).jpg

The game is still going to look great...but it would look even better if CA wasn't implemented. It's just completely pointless for this game, imo.

AndyD

aka andydumi
So have they listed all th enew features added to these versions? I saw in one trailer they said over a hundred, and then it focused on the first person view, but no actual list of improvements.

Eh, I think it's an apt comparison. The game is still 100% improved and playable. That small sample you pointed out is something you'd have to go hunting for while in the "heat of the action". We're basically just throwing opinions at each other, lol.

I would agree with you in this instance since it really doesn't stick out till someone goes through the effort of highlighting it. It's probably more to do with me being a PC user who immediately sees something like that, and sees an eye sore that should be easily removed in an options menu. And I have a hatred of games pretending to follow the conventions of films unnecessarily.

I think the game looks fantastic. The only thing that bugs me so far is the hit and miss reflections, lack of functioning reflections from mirrors (an annoying oversight when considering first person) and minor pop in here and there.

Ah, I get it. And yes, CA can be extremely annoying, I have a DK2 and it's the most apparent in there for a multitude of demos/games that have the option/issues with it (outside of the far end of some of my cheaper lenses for camera gear). I had not noticed it before and watching the blim video again I still don't see it as an issue is all. But I do agree with the whole "film" thing. I don't think games should try to look like movies IMO, unless there is a specific camera/video option where you can set the filters yourself, like Skate or Halo has.

I'm sure we'll both still enjoy it, unfortunately they are making me buy this game 3 times.

bud23

Fortunately, all of this added fun in the upgraded version of Grand Theft Auto Online for Xbox One and PS4 also brings with it the chance to add way more detail to your avatar, even if you’re importing one from the Xbox 360 or PS3 (of note: stats can also be tweaked when importing, effectively allowing for a re-spec). The character creator in GTAO now rivals that of peak Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf, allowing you to customize no less than your eyes, nose, nose profile, nose tip, cheeks, cheek shape, lips, and more. Each has its own spectrum in which to tweak each individual setting.

And as for the long-awaited Online Heists? Of course they’re still coming (to all platforms), and “soon,” Rockstar insists.

SOON™

KePoW

Banned
The only thing that bugs me so far is the hit and miss reflections, lack of functioning reflections from mirrors (an annoying oversight when considering first person) and minor pop in here and there.

It's possible these are because of performance reasons, not oversight...

Dabanton

I wonder who will enjoy gta 5 more, the ones who played it already or the fresh recruits. They really went above and beyond with this remaster.

I think the people who've played it before will certainly enjoy revisiting areas and seeing the improvements. I know I am.

I think the people who've played it before will certainly enjoy revisiting areas and seeing the improvements. I know I am.
it's an odd question too because of course folks playing it for the first time may enjoy it more... but that means they haven't been enjoying it for the last year :p

i mean if I play TLOU for the first time tomorrow I may enjoy it more than someone who replays it tmr with me but do you think he cares? no cuz he's been enjoying it for a long time already haha

some new comparison gifs from GTAF
http://gtaforums.com/topic/714737-gtav-graphics-old-gen-vs-new-gen/page-18
Credit to user WhatsStrength for taking the pics and user Gr4ndy for animating gifs of them

3m6fuVt.gif

3zS6vtn.gif

S7V9nzE.gif

SnObhij.gif

Ohl3Cyo.gif

kjLaKLt.gif

One thing to note is any difference in colours is most likely just timing... e.g. the different colour horizon in the last pic. East LS is always a more red-ish hue around 11pm and then gets more blue-ish closer to 3am. But moonlight doesn't really change unless its overcast so the night pics show not only better quality lighting but in general that the city, water, etc is lit up much more under moonlight now. Lights never glisten like that currently even when the moon is full and the sky is clear. Same with the sea pic with the dock, where you can see the water glisten. That light 'line' leads directly to where the sun comes over the mountain in Grand Senora so it may not mean the sea always reflects light so much but just that the sun has barely come over the mountains. But water definitely catches light differently now: you can see it here or you can see it in the trailer when car lights reflect over rain puddles.

Just over one week! I hope my ps4 doesn't sound like a printer like it did on ps3 while running GTAV. Dat streaming engine they created was pushing it to the limits... actually surprised my ps3 didn't crap itself, but it did buy the super slim for this game incase it did :).
I'm going to take tons of clips and screenshots with the share button. I love it, it's like your own personal video/screenshot capture device that works in the background.

Check out the draw distance in this gif of the ps3 ver (you can see the cars all the way in the distance). Amazing what they achieved on old hardware and a huge improvement over GTAIV.

S7V9nzE.gif

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

EktorOni

Haven't played this game yet, so this'll be a treat. Now, to choose what platform to play it on.

Is the Online great for team-based challenges, or is it more for solo-ing deathmatch? That'll decide where to pick it up for, XBO or PS4.

murgo

I just placed my order for the PS4 version from Amazon.fr. 52€ instead of 74€ at Amazon.de :) Can't friggin wait.. the differences between the versions are staggering.

Top Bottom