• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - input lag now? if you want a reskinned COD4, go play WaW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foil

SolidSnakex said:
I think the flame thrower would cause even more complaints than the rocket launcher does. The chaos someone using the flame thrower could cause in small areas like Radec Academy or Blood Gracht would get frustrating very quickly.

That'd be my worry as well, my only suggestion for that would be to lock that class out of small confined maps. I think it'd work well in more open maps like Market, not so much in a tight quarters map. Though if they limit the ammo, the damage it does, and the time fire burns for it could work. I think rockets are more annoying and deadly since they can be shot from long distance and kill anything and everybody in one hit. A guy with a flamethrower and fuel tank on his back could be set on fire and killed just by shooting his tank pack.

Last night was funny in the beta as some guy on the other team was using nothing but rockets over and over. I swear some people wanted to strangle him through the tv.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
hulot said:
Have you come across the flashlight glitch? And wow, didn't know about the pulling away.

Nope. What's this flashlight glitch? Please tell so I can make a 10min vid out of it. :lol

Pojo

Banned
J-Rzez said:
Stupid AI. Obviously the narrow beam exposing himself more would be the better cover choice than wasting an awesome butt-scoot animation to get behind wider cover. Ppphhhfft.
Actually, he looks easier to hit right there. :p Does he scoot further or something? I MUST SEE THE VIDEO.

hulot

TTP said:
Nope. What's this flashlight glitch? Please tell so I can make a 10min vid out of it. :lol
Switch to the pistol when you have the shotgun's flashlight on. I didn't notice it until the Radek level but it's present from there on until the end of the build.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
hulot said:
Switch to the pistol when you have the shotgun's flashlight on. I didn't notice it until the Radek level but it's present from there on.

I didn't even realize I could actually turn on the shotgun's flashlight. Too much online beta I guess.

SSM25

ItsInMyVeins said:
Wait, 1up complained about the Helghast as enemies in the game? Why?

Because they are not monsters that come out of the ground, aliens with funny voices or super duper ugly big muscular terrorists, that's why.......

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
But seriously, what did they say about the Helghast? I haven't heard it, but my first thought is that if you're gonna complain about enemies in the game, there's a fucking ton of games out there with enemies that look bad. The ones in Killzone actually look good and have consistent design between the various types, judging from what I've seen.

Ceb

ItsInMyVeins said:
But seriously, what did they say about the Helghast? I haven't heard it, but my first thought is that if you're gonna complain about enemies in the game, there's a fucking ton of games out there with enemies that look bad. The ones in Killzone actually look good and have consistent design between the various types, judging from what I've seen.

They're faceless.

You know, unlike the unique snowflakes that make up the enemy base of CoD4.

ChryZ

ItsInMyVeins said:
To be fair, it's not they ... it was only Tina Sanchez complaining about it.

itsinmyveins

Ceb said:
They're faceless.

You know, unlike the unique snowflakes that make up the enemy base of CoD4.

Did they actually complain about the Helghast having masks? I bet they gave HL2 shit since the combine have masks on them!

I definitely prefer enemies having masks over five different kinds of faces repeated Ad nauseam throughout the entire game, or monsters with actual faces that all look the same (grunts in GoW for example).

The whole look of the Killzone games, with the Helghast and all, is one of the reason that game stands out.

ChryZ said:

It was only an off-hand remark? :lol

Man, I've seen 1up and Killzone 2 being commented so much in other threads I was beginning to get the impression they were like five people just hating on the game, as a response to all the hype and expectations or something :lol

No_Style

ChryZ said:

This is true, but you're just giving the "Anti-Tina Brigade" more ammunition by pointing that out. Poor girl has been called out on nearly every audio/video 1UP production this week. :lol

ItsInMyVeins said:
Did they actually complain about the Helghast having masks? I bet they gave HL2 shit since the combine have masks on them!

rocksolidaudio said:
i never said i preferred it. but if they're going for that faceless, creepy entity design -- and i agree that they seem to be -- i don't think they're getting it right. it's tough to put my finger on why the Combine work so well, for example, but i think it has a lot to do with the way you're introduced to them and their place in the narrative.

and i didn't say that mindless drones results in not being fun, i said it results in little satisfaction, psychologically or otherwise. the reason i didn't fun the game "fun," per se, was due to its more realistic design sensibilities, which are rarely my cup of tea. the fact that i can't find a way to appreciate the Helghast's design is just another niggling, unappealing aspect for me. i don't dislike the game, it's certainly engaging for other reasons, it's just not really my type of shooter from what i've played. i also talk about it a bit in my part of the group preview we ran.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13899020&postcount=263

Schrade said:
Sev saying "Aw Shit!":
2nbrmol.gif

I figured that one could be used for something in other threads.
Full Recovery said:
edit: also, this gif would make a great "DO NOT WANT" gif, cause you can't really tell he's saying "ahhh shit"

You should make a gif about 10 seconds after this, it would be a great bailout.gif
hahaha "Bail Out!" would be perfect right when he turns around after saying "Oh Shit"

itsinmyveins

SolidSnakex said:

Hmm, but isn't the Helghast from the moon or Mars or something and needs those masks and shit to be able to function on earth or whatever due to difference in atmosphere or something like that?

Honestly, "can't put my finger on that" sounds like a bad excuse. What "way you're introduced to them and their place in the narrative"? What does that even mean in the context of HL2? You see them, they boss you around and then you fight them. What's this about a place in the narrative?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
ItsInMyVeins said:
The Helghast are just rip-offs (or unstated inspiration) of the Kerberos Panzer Cops - a manga and anime saga that was created in 1988 spanning a decade or so.

Tome1kamuikerberos.png

itsinmyveins

speedpop said:
The Helghast are just rip-offs (or unstated inspiration) of the Kerberos Panzer Cops - a manga and anime saga that was created in 1988 spanning a decade or so.

Tome1kamuikerberos.png

Yes, I've seen Jin-Roh. KZ2 has a whole variety of designs on different enemy types, right?

What's your point?

speedpop

ItsInMyVeins said:
Yes, I've seen Jin-Roh. KZ2 has a whole variety of designs on different enemy types, right?

What's your point?
Geez why so feisty? My point was I'm surprised Oshii hasn't sued the shit out of Sony for image likeness.

speedpop

I certainly touched a sore and bitter nerve in this thread :lol

SolidSnakex said:
Because he wouldn't get far trying to sue someone over modified gas masks.

Because

Helghast_1.JPG

doesn't resemble

Hellhoundsmanga.png

???

NameIess

speedpop said:
Geez why so feisty? My point was I'm surprised Oshii hasn't sued the shit out of Sony for image likeness.

I just think people are starting to grow tired of all the silly nitpicking regarding this game...
It's cool for HL2 to use faceless enemies, but Killzone 2 uses mask & have over 10 different variations of these faceless enemies & still get beat up about not using faces...

Honestly I think it get's silly to see twins & quintuplets all over the place playing every other title ever created...

I definitely know this game will have short coming, but it's starting to piss me off when you hear people bitching about Sev's hair style or other trivial bullshit. I have yet to hear the gaming media provide some constructive criticism it's just the typical bullshit you would expect to hear for any AAA PS3 exclusive title...

I can see the reviews now:
"Killzone 2 is a technical marvel with amazing visuals & production value, but does not innovate or redefine the genre."

I just find it amusing how every PS3 exclusive is expected to revolutionize the genre...

ItsInMyVeins said:
ChryZ said:
I think it was that Nick Suttner guy. Tina complained about the cover system after saying it was one of the best things in the game... Enough with one up though they're probably just trying to cause controversy to get more hits on there site. Ignore there unfound complaints.

I really like the enemies in killzone 2. And if he said the helgahst aren't scary then what videogame enemy is? The enemies from halo? lol

itsinmyveins

speedpop said:

I'm not feisty dude, I just don't wanna get into that design discussion since I read a few pages of it in some thread a few days ago :)

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
speedpop said:

This is always a fun topic... I don't feel like digging up dev quotes, but it's been addressed many times.

There are plenty of instances in most games where things look similar to other stuff... doesn't necessarily mean it was ripped off.

Nearly every scifi game looks like it lifted shit directly from Aliens.

I jusy hope the signle player campaign isnt absolute scripted crap AI crap that the COD4 campaign was. Sure those enemies has faces but they were more like drones than any other fps games i have played. Cod5 is the same way and didnt Nick enjoy that game?

speedpop

recklessmind said:
This is always a fun topic... I don't feel like digging up dev quotes, but it's been addressed many times.
By all means, please provide them. I wouldn't have a clue because I'm not a Killzone fan, I'm just being a bitter Kerberos Saga fan who feels that the Killzone developers do not have an original bone in their body because they couldn't figure out how to draw their own original enemies.

I'd love nothing more for them to state "we read Kerberos, we love it, we used the characters that Oshii created as a backbone to our own creations."

God's Beard said:
oh fuck guys mamoru oshii must be PISSED
killzone1.jpg

Kerberoshead1.png

Kerberoshead2.png

Evolved1

speedpop said:
By all means, please provide them. I wouldn't have a clue because I'm not a Killzone fan, I'm just being a bitter Kerberos Saga fan who feels that the Killzone developers do not have an original bone in their body because they couldn't figure out how to draw their own original enemies.

Ok... now it's not worth my time.

NameIess

^^^If you are not interested in the game why are you posting?
Who really gives a fuck if the characters are similar to some unknown anime series.
Only a handful of people have ever heard of that bullshit you are referring too...

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Not this fucking shit again. Look, it's 2003 old news.

I saw the Jin-Roh anime after we've already had a design (though of course there's a whole bunch of other Jin-Roh material before the anime), and showed it to the lead character designer who said he hadn't seen it before and didn't base/rip it from Jin-Roh. He's way more of a 2000AD fan anyway than a manga/anime one. Both Jin-Roh and Killzone borrow heavily from 30s/40s fascism and warfare.

The armor is completely different except for the color; and the only real similarities are the mask and glowing eyes.

Jin-Roh's armor is plated metal, while Killzone's isn't. Etc. Look, I love Jin-Roh, but you're heavily mistaken if you think Jin-Roh is completely original regarding the designs.

guys who cares ppl rip of inferior shit all the time. It doesnt matter.

What I am more concerned about is that the SP campaign is being compared to the COD games. Which are shallow AI-less gimmick filled affairs. According to the AI video on gametrailers the Dev says AI will actully be dynamic thus nothing like Cod games?

Cod games are the biggest offenders when it comes to throwing drones at you yet 1up never complains about them!

Evolved1

GAZERK said:
:lol

This is such a stupid argument.

It's been tread over a million+ times... and I can see why people would bring it up. There certainly are similarities. But why must it be that anyone who brings up the similarities is always such a massive douche about it?

Kind of starts things off on the wrong foot.

NameIess

Kabuki Waq said:

What I am more concerned about is that the SP campaign is being compared to the COD games. Which are shallow AI-less gimmick filled affairs. According to the AI video on gametrailers the Dev says AI will actully be dynamic thus nothing like Cod games?

Cod games are the biggest offenders when it comes to throwing drones at you yet 1up never complains about them!

Well COD is not an exclusive AAA PS3 title...
Killzone 2 should have AI good enough to do your discrete math homework.
Let's remember the PS3 has the cell processor so the AI should be smart enough to wait until you turn off your PS3 to win the war in Helghan...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Kabuki Waq said:

People compare everything to CoD cause everyone ball licks Infinity Ward for no reason. Then they go whine about the same shit CoD does exactly when it's in other games. Oh this is too linear! Oh this game has bad AI! Oh this game has respawning enemies! Oh this game has gimmicky bullshit! Oh this game has frustrating choke points!

When did Infinity Ward buy all these people off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom