• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - input lag now? if you want a reskinned COD4, go play WaW

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyD

aka andydumi
test_account said:
Yep, you also use the SixAxis when you set up some wall-mines/explosives (or what it is) :) Those animations doesnt look too good as you say, at least not compared to the rest of the animations in the game, i agree. I am not sure how many times you must do these things through out the game though, but if i should guess it is not that often :)

Its better than games where you press the C4 button and it magically appears in front of you on the wall... Or wheels and levers auto turn. At least they tried here.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I can't wait for this game, I think I may go pay it off in full sometime in the next two weeks.

Hopefully I can track down a cheap copy of Killzone for the PS2 too while I'm at EB.

test_account said:
Yep, you also use the SixAxis when you set up some wall-mines/explosives (or what it is) :) Those animations doesnt look too good as you say, at least not compared to the rest of the animations in the game, i agree. I am not sure how many times you must do these things through out the game though, but if i should guess it is not that often :)

I think realistic animations + sixaxis could prove confusing though. The way it is done you see instantly that the controller orientation has an effect of the action onscreen. Imagine if you turned the wheel like in Mirror's Edge but with sixaxis, it would feel less responsive. At least IMO.

mr_nothin

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
That never really happened in the beta. Unless you have a sniper rifle you really don't have much of a shot to hit someone from a really long distance. I managed to do it once with the standard rifle but I even know that was luck. But getting that headshot was still awesome. :)
Oh it happened...but it wouldnt stay like that for long because the Helghast couldnt do the same thing. Helghast couldnt really stay still as much as the ISA could. If I was helghast, I would stay moving and stick more to close combat. If I did long distance stuff, I couldnt stay in 1 spot for long. I used to search for Helghan lights in the distance and try to pick them off sometimes. I think adding the lights to both but not adding the fade would have caused people to hang back alot more..

mr_nothin

Banned
AndyD said:
If you see the video, he uses a sniper rifle and the blue tags are still very visible. Maybe too much so.

The US army tested something similar a little while back, where they use special glasses to see a tag only visible with the special glasses. This helps with identifying friendlies from planes, helis...
I'm wondering if the lights are more pronounced because of the fact that he's zoomed in on them.
I'm not sure....

AndyD

aka andydumi
mr_nothin said:
Oh it happened...but it wouldnt stay like that for long because the Helghast couldnt do the same thing. Helghast couldnt really stay still as much as the ISA could. If I was helghast, I would stay moving and stick more to close combat. If I didnt long distance stuff, I couldnt stay in 1 spot for long. I used to search for Helghan lights in the distance and try to pick them off sometimes. I think adding the lights to both but not adding the fade would have caused people to hang back alot more..

Yep, even if I wasnt killing HG at long distances, the bullet spray kept them moving from cover.

Good point above. I didn't notice if pre zoom you could see them or not. That said, they are mighty bright.

Ballistictiger said:
Won't the scout tag people anyways?

The Scout can tag them but it won't help you hit them if they're really far away. In the beta you could usually see a Helghast from an extended distance because you'd see a red glow. But hitting them with any weapon outside of the sniper rifle is very difficult unless you luck out. I hit my target once and that was out of a lot of tries.

mr_nothin

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
The Scout can tag them but it won't help you hit them if they're really far away. In the beta you could usually see a Helghast from an extended distance because you'd see a red glow. But hitting them with any weapon outside of the sniper rifle is very difficult unless you luck out. I hit my target once and that was out of a lot of tries.
I'd HS them with the assault rifle because im the headshot king!
:lol

...was ranked #1 HS guy in beta by a long shot.

test_account

XP-39C²
AndyD said:
Its better than games where you press the C4 button and it magically appears in front of you on the wall... Or wheels and levers auto turn. At least they tried here.
Ye, i agree :) I didnt really mean to complain about the animation (it might have looked like that though), i just agreed to him that those animations werent exactly the best. I guess that you wont see too much of these animations through out the game anyway, so i dont think these animations will "ruin" (or what i shall say) the overall gameplay experience or anything :)

MvmntInGrn said:
I think realistic animations + sixaxis could prove confusing though. The way it is done you see instantly that the controller orientation has an effect of the action onscreen. Imagine if you turned the wheel like in Mirror's Edge but with sixaxis, it would feel less responsive. At least IMO.
Ye, i agree, if they should have much more fluid animation in Killzone 2 when turning a wheel with the sixaxis, i would guess that would have to make the sixaxis trigger an animation instead of being in realtime like they are now, so it wouldnt feel so responsive as you say :) The animation are in real time, right? I mean, if you move the controller to the left or right, the arms in the game will follow exactly what you do?

EDIT: I added some text.

Aladuf

Banned
I've got a question for those of you who were in the beta and did a bit of sniping because I'm a sniper whore when it comes to MP and all that, and KZ2 will be no exception. :p

How is the Sixaxis implementation when sniping? I know how steady you hold the controller is supposed to determine how steady your shot is or something along those lines, but how does it control? Is it difficult to hold it steady enough or is it noticeable but not too bad?

I just want to be popping heads like crazy.

Aladuf said:
I've got a question for those of you who were in the beta and did a bit of sniping because I'm a sniper whore when it comes to MP and all that, and KZ2 will be no exception. :p

How is the Sixaxis implementation when sniping? I know how steady you hold the controller is supposed to determine how steady your shot is or something along those lines, but how does it control? Is it difficult to hold it steady enough or is it noticeable but not too bad?

It's perfect, not much more can be said.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Doc Evils said:
don't need it. you'll find out your self.

I am sure I will, but I want everyone to know easily.

And Aladuf on the sniping, its as easy as you being able to hold the controller still. The cool thing is you can also do fine adjustments with tilting.

mr_nothin

Banned
Aladuf said:

Movements, both small and large, affect your aim. You have to be pretty steady, but it makes it alot better and satisfying. It's not so much that it gets on your nerves...it actually makes you feel like a sniper moreso. It was crazy when I 1st found out about it. I was rocking on the bed while sniping and my rifle kept shaking. I thought they just had the guy shaking automatically. I started thinking "what if my shaking has something to do with the shaking on the screen". I then held the controller straight....
"...holy shit..."

Schrade

mr_nothin said:
Movements, both small and large, affect your aim. You have to be pretty steady, but it makes it alot better and satisfying. It's not so much that it gets on your nerves...it actually makes you feel like a sniper moreso. It was crazy when I 1st found out about it. I was rocking on the bed while sniping and my rifle kept shaking. I thought they just had the guy shaking automatically. I started thinking "what if my shaking has something to do with the shaking on the screen". I then held the controller straight....
"...holy shit..."
And then you headshotted me from the opposite end of Blood Gracht. The End.

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
I was in the beta and one thing that i really did like was that people had to earn the right to get to their respective classes, especially the sniper class.

Aladuf said:

It's not difficult to hold it steady at all. It's more or less just kind of a cool, immersive feature.

From what I understand, though, the SixAxis control also lets you make really quick adjustments to your aim. So if you move the controller left, the reticule will move too. Unfortunately I didn't get to try that out, but it sounds like a cool feature.

In other words the SixAxis control is implemented well and it's not going to be annoying because it takes a bit of movement to get a reaction. Most people didn't even notice it until it was pointed out.

mr_nothin

Banned
Schrade said:
And then you headshotted me from the opposite end of Blood Gracht. The End.
:lol True :p

bbyybb said:
I was in the beta and one thing that i really did like was that people had to earn the right to get to their respective classes, especially the sniper class.
I loved that aspect too.
Alot of people dont...
You have people like my friend, who says "they should have all classes unlocked at the beginning". I think that's just plain stupid. I actually hope they make it so you have to get more points to unlock the classes.

Aladuf

Banned
user friendly said:
It's perfect, not much more can be said.

mr_nothin said:
"...holy shit..."
Sounds fucking awesome, thanks guys. I can't wait for it.

edit:
Private Hoffman said:
It's not difficult to hold it steady at all. It's more or less just kind of a cool, immersive feature.

From what I understand, though, the SixAxis control also lets you make really quick adjustments to your aim. So if you move the controller left, the reticule will move too. Unfortunately I didn't get to try that out, but it sounds like a cool feature.

In other words the SixAxis control is implemented well and it's not going to be annoying because it takes a bit of movement to get a reaction. Most people didn't even notice it until it was pointed out.
Damn, that quick adjustment seems like it'll be fucking great. I'm glad it's all well implemented.

zeloe326

Aladuf said:
Holy shit, the audio is insane. The guns and everything going on sounds epic. I'm gonna be rocking the shit out of my surround sound when this comes out. :lol

Even more impressive, is the wind sound. The breeze sound so fucking amazing.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Watching only but a minute of that Eurogamer video makes me hurt. It's crazy how much detail and polish they have put into it. It looks unbelievable. And more importantly, it looks FUN. I can't wait to dig into the MP as well.

Aladuf said:
Damn, that quick adjustment seems like it'll be fucking great. I'm glad it's all well implemented.

Sniper V Sniper that's what was the better determining factor of who would win, that last little jolt to get the crosshairs on the target makes a helluva difference.

TheFatOne

cjdunn said:
Agreed. Is there a limit to clan size? We might want to split into regions smaller than "North America" in that case. GAF-NE, GAF-SE, GAF-NW, et cetera.

I'm not sure if there is a limit to clan size, but we should make a plan to save those names for the different GAF regions.

Boss Man

xenorevlis said:
Haha, while this isn't an avatar it is the result of 20 minutes well spent. ENJOY!

koolzowned1.gif

Got to this late, but I don't care that it isn't an avatar. <3 <3<3

nib95

Banned
This game is in such a peculiar position. There's mountains of hype and pessimism for it. Some have and do rag on it at every given opportunity, whereas others are incredibly optimistic. Difference here is that this game has had more time, money, talent and media invested in it than most. Not to mention it looks insanely good graphically. Just look at this thread as an example of the amount of attention it's been getting, both positive and negative (or should I say scepticism).

It's because of these reasons that I am subconsciously finding that I am being extra cautious and careful with how I approach and judge the game. But is that fair? I wonder how many will play the game more cautiously than other games. By that I mean trying to ensure they aren't getting over exited in fear of over hyping or over selling.

My way of measuring the accuracy of my opinions of the game (or it's quality) was to play the shit out of it. Not a hard task, since I've loved every minute of it and wanted to keep playing it. I've since beaten the game twice, and am partially through a third play through. I've also since completed Resistance 2 (after beating KZ2) and started Gears 2 again (almost finished). I wanted to refresh my memory and compare it with some of the best out there (what I consider the best in regards to typical shooter SP campaigns). KZ2 did not disappoint. In-fact, you can probably guess which games SP campaign I most enjoyed. I won't say anything beyond that till the embargo's are lifted. Not everyone will share my sentiments (naturally), though I am positive many will.

I actually did something rather naughty. To quell something that was playing on my mind about the game. The main thing that imo will likely divide people on the game are the controls, or more specifically the aiming. It's totally different from other shooters in this regard. There's this sense of realism, weight, motion and immersion (add a lack of auto-aim) about them that sets them apart. My fear was that some less hardcore/casual gamers might be turned off by them, and those who are more used to other shooters might not get on. So I actually let a few people I know matching the above criteria play very brief segments of the game (only parts already seen dozens of times in video's of the very first level, and in a very controlled environment). Just to see how they'd get on with the controls.
Not only did they adjust fairly quickly, but they were incredibly impressed with the game, and wanted to play more. Thankfully, they all thought they were playing an early "demo" (the one that you will all likely be playing very soon). I have to admit, I was relieved to find that the controls didn't deter them from enjoying the experience, rather the opposite (which slightly surprised me, as I thought the lack of auto aim might frustrate them).

Can't wait to read/hear other people's opinions of the game and see how it reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom