• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hollywood Reporter: Why Did Marvel and Dreamworks Whitewash Their Asian Characters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
On paper, it reads like a great week for Asian representation in Hollywood – but the Ancient One and the Major are played, respectively, by Tilda Swinton and Scarlett Johansson. And so these two projects – long awaited by many fans of their source material – instead join Gods of Egypt, Aloha and Pan as recent inductees to Hollywood's Whitewashing Hall of Shame.

Too many stories, from Lawrence of Arabia to Avatar, relegate natives of a culture to background players and, at best, mentor, antagonist, love interest or sidekick. In Doctor Strange, Swinton fills the mentor role, Mads Mikkelsen is the villain and Rachel McAdams seems to be the damsel, leaving British actor Benedict Wong to play Dr. Strange's personal valet.

Of the four, he's the only one not glimpsed in the two-minute trailer, which mostly features Benedict Cumberbatch's Dr. Strange wandering through streets in Nepal and Hong Kong and learning magical martial arts from Swinton in a temple beautifully appointed with traditional Asian architectural features. In other words, Doctor Strange is a movie that looks very Oriental, except for the people part.

The reaction to Johansson's Ghost in the Shell look reminds me of the backlash when the Nina Simone biopic starring Zoe Saldana was released last month. In both cases, the filmmakers went to some lengths to alter the appearance of their leading ladies, rather than cast actresses who more naturally matched the subjects. What makes these two examples different from the countless instances of actors transforming themselves for a role – Steve Carell in Foxcatcher, Nicole Kidman in The Hours – is that Asian women and dark-skinned black women rarely get to be the leads in Hollywood movies. So whitewashing any Asian character is unfortunate, but keeping the character Asian-ish (but not actually Asian) is salt on the wound.

Many online commenters have trumpeted Oscar nominee Rinko Kikuchi as the ideal live-action Kusanagi – no one has come closer than her to doing it already, as robot pilot Mako Mori in Pacific Rim. Many other actresses of Asian descent have been mentioned as well, but the harsh truth is that their combined star wattage doesn't even come close to touching Johansson's.

So how does an Asian actor become famous enough to play an Asian character? Judging by Speed Racer (starring Emile Hirsch), Dragonball Evolution (starring Shameless' Justin Chatwin), Ghost in the Shell and the upcoming Death Note (starring Nat Wolff), Hollywood has yet to answer the question.

A great opinion piece by the Hollywood Reporter. I suggest a read through - just a few important excerpts.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...s+(The+Hollywood+Reporter+-+Top+Stories)&KaE4

vinnygambini

Is Johansson actually going to be playing 'Motoko Kusanagi'?

From the article, hope it helps:
IMDb still lists the character as "Kusanagi," although the press copy released alongside Thursday's image refers to her simply by her police rank, "the Major." That photo continued to send an ambiguous message – Johansson appears in a short black bob and darkened eyebrows, hewing closely to how Kusanagi is depicted in the comics.

Traditionally, this is a fan's greatest hope – an adaptation as faithful to the source material as possible. But in this case, Paramount/DreamWorks seem to have retained all the markers of Kusanagi's Japanese identity – her name, her basic physical appearance – except for the actual ethnicity of her portrayer. Perhaps the whitewashing controversy wouldn't have gone quite as viral had the producers cleanly erased all traces of the material's origins, as Edge of Tomorrow did in adapting the Japanese novel All You Need is Kill and anglicizing protagonist Keiji Kiriya into William Cage, played by Tom Cruise.

I have a lot of Asian friends who'd take issue with their use of 'Oriental' in describing people than Swinton playing that role.

Timbuktu

I really think it is easier for Asian American actors to leave Hollywood and try their luck making movies in Asia. Look at what happened with John Lone, brilliant actor that got barely any roles after the Last Emperor and things haven't really i proved since then.

Ratrat

Dont buy the 'star power' argument. How many blockbusters featured unknown actors in the past? Too many to count. Hugh Jackman was unknown when he got X-Men. Hollywood is not going to bother trying to make an Asian movie star when the general racist public will reject it immediately.

catmincer

Surely they could find Asian actors for these roles. Off the top of my head Maggie Q would be better choice for ghost in a shell.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The reaction to Johansson's Ghost in the Shell look reminds me of the backlash when the Nina Simone biopic starring Zoe Saldana was released last month. In both cases, the filmmakers went to some lengths to alter the appearance of their leading ladies, rather than cast actresses who more naturally matched the subjects.
How does that one photo from Ghost in the Shell demonstrate production trying to change Johansson's appearance?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Dont buy the 'star power' argument. How many blockbusters featured unknown actors in the past? Too many to count. Hugh Jackman was unknown when he got X-Men. Hollywood is not going to bother trying to make an Asian movie star when the general racist public will reject it immediately.

On the other hand they are also trying to court the likes of China and still have not made the connection that maybe having Asian leads would maybe help with that.

Kalentan

While I do agree with a decent bit of the article, there are some parts that seem like a lack of understanding of the characters, like this:

While I'm happy to see a "white role" played by a black man in the movie, Ejiofor's casting reinforces the implications of Thor, Captain America: The Winter Soldier and the Iron Man movies that every white hero gets a black sidekick in the Marvel Cinematic Universe

While we can't be for sure yet... Baron Mordo, if I recall correctly, has mostly been a villain to Doctor Strange, never a side kick.

Also:

To make matters worse — or, at least, more frustrating — there's the fact that, in the casting of Cumberbatch, Marvel managed to sidestep the possibility of offering up a non-white, non-male lead in one of its movies for the first time.

While I don't think they needed to cast someone white for Doctor Strange, this sentiment seems to be from a lack of understand that Doctor Strange or rather Steven Strange, was already mentioned before hand (specifically mentioned in Winter Soldier). It seems like an odd complaint after the fact.

As for the Ancient One... It's hard to say cause on one hand it's changing a male character to a female character, on the other hand it still is white washing...

I have a lot of Asian friends who'd take issue with their use of 'Oriental' in describing people than Swinton playing that role.

Yes, the term is depreciated these days and it's odd to see it used there.

False dilemma. There's actually nothing pointing to the idea that the public will rejection Asian or Asian-American leads. In fact, TV shows the opposite is frequently true.

I actually think Tilda Swinton is inspired casting for the part.

She is, it's merely that the trailer is full of what looks to be East Asian mysticism, yet the cast lacks any Asian roles. This should be corrected if Dr. Strange mainstay and companion Wong features in a trailer, but it was odd not seeing him here.

How does that one photo from Ghost in the Shell demonstrate production trying to change Johansson's appearance?

I have a feeling the writer heard a version of the rumour going around that the producers thought about making ScarJo look more Asian with post prod CG and assumed it's what they actually did.

The whole piece is horribly amateurish, even if it comes from a good place about a stronger Asian presence in Hollywood.

Blackhead

Redarse
I really think it is easier for Asian American actors to leave Hollywood and try their luck making movies in Asia. Look at what happened with John Lone, brilliant actor that got barely any roles after the Last Emperor and things haven't really i proved since then.

Any examples of successful Japanese-Americans actors taking this path? How about Chinese-American actors with the Chinese B.O. booming in recent years? Bollywood has been around for decades, and the Korean Wave is a more recent phenomenon, but I don't know if any examples

Timbuktu

As for the Ancient One... It's hard to say cause on one hand it's changing a male character to a female character, on the other hand it still is white washing...

The idea itself screams of orientalism and that's still there no matter who you cast. If the ancient one was cast as asian, then it would be jist like Batman Begins. At least in IM3, they kinda realised how ridiculus that kind of thing would look on screen.

Timbuktu

Any examples of successful Japanese-Americans actors taking this path? How about Chinese-American actors with the Chinese B.O. booming in recent years? Bollywood has been around for decades, and the Korean Wave is a more recent phenomenon, but I don't know if any examples

Daniel Wu is pretty big in HK and still speaks cantonese with an accent. He has started to look at Hollywood roles more recently. Maggie Q is probably the most notable success by making a name in Asia first and then moving back into Hollywood. K-pop gaf will know, but i'm sure plenty of k pop starts are American born.

Donos

Some valid points but did i read that correct that Dr. Strange could have been e.g. an indian woman?

To make matters worse — or, at least, more frustrating — there's the fact that, in the casting of Cumberbatch, Marvel managed to sidestep the possibility of offering up a non-white, non-male lead in one of its movies for the first time. Unlike, say, Iron Man or Captain America, there's nothing inherently gendered or racially-specific in the lead character's main concept

That role, literally, could have gone to anyone.

"Let's make a female Dr. strange, just to be diverse."

Dan

I have a feeling the writer heard a version of the rumour going around that the producers thought about making ScarJo look more Asian with post prod CG and assumed it's what they actually did.

The whole piece is horribly amateurish, even if it comes from a good place about a stronger Asian presence in Hollywood.
Yeah, the article is not explicitly referencing an alleged experiment to digitally alter Johansson to look more Asian. It's referencing the direct reaction to the photo that people can actually see... a photo included in the article that the writer was presumably familiar with before commenting on. It doesn't make sense.

Off the top of my head, Daniel Wu who is the main character in Into the Borderlands, is an Asian American got his start with Jackie Chan in China (though it wasn't really intentional). His interview with Slate might interest many of you. He said that when Jackie Chan was active and big in the US during the Rush Hour era, they were looking for foreign Asian action stars, but when they found out he was American born they became disinterested and about typecasted roles they faced.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat...ew_he_s_the_asian_action_hero_that_bruce.html

Also Chloe Bennet from Agents of Shield was born Chloe Wang. She started with some pop stuff back in China and said that she changed her name to Bennet because when she tried to find work in the US, her name gave her trouble booking gigs.

KonradLaw

Maybe they will open the Ghost in the Shell movie with japanese actress, who then gets her brain extracted, put into cyberbrain and finally installed into ScarJo's body. And her boss will say something like "the Section decided this body is better for our public image" and he will look directly into the camera and do
giphy.gif

Village

Some valid points but did i read that correct that Dr. Strange could have been e.g. an indian woman?

"Let's make a female Dr. strange, just to be diverse."

Strange as a character unless i'm forgetting something isn't tied to race, hell he's not even tied to the title sorcer supreme. Brother Voodoo was running around as sorcer supreme for a hot minute.

Suggesting Rinko is ideal because she co piloted a robot that one time and she's Asian doesn't sit well with me for some reason. Also I would have liked the article to actually name some of those other Asian actresses that were suggested just for the sake of acknowledging them by name.

vinnygambini

False dilemma. There's actually nothing pointing to the idea that the public will rejection Asian or Asian-American leads. In fact, TV shows the opposite is frequently true.

TV shows are a different medium though and offer a lower financial risk to financiers - I don't think the comparison is apt as films like these (Ghost & Strange) require $100M+ on production and usually hover around the same area for P&A.

TV shows seem to be much less burdened and given creative license comparatively to the output of film studios - I think that is one of the reasons why people gravitate more to TV these days and go to the movies solely for blockbuster entertainment.

A lot of the films picked up (greenlight) live in and die on the cast availability and talent, same for TV, but more so for films it seems (old mentality that still remains in Hollywood maybe?)

Duno if I explained myself well, it is late :p

Donos

Strange as a character unless i'm forgetting something isn't tied to race, hell he's not even tied to the title sorcer supreme. Brother Voodoo was running around as sorcer supreme for a hot minute.

No problem with race. I really like Elba-Heimdall but Dr. Strange for me is always a bearded sorcerer guy with a cape.

While i think Marvel would not have a problem rebooting characters in 10 years from a complete different angle (hey we got an all female ghostbuster team), they would never risk to change too much in the first AAA production of a known character.

harSon

Banned
They tried to explain their fuckery last year:

http://www.hitfix.com/harpy/marvel-...ir-whitewashing-of-doctor-strange-ancient-one
We’re never afraid to change. In the comic books, Jarvis is an elderly butler. In the movies, he’s an A.I. system which becomes Paul Bettany’s Vision. We are always looking for ways to change. I think if you look at some of the early incarnations of the Ancient One in the comics, they are what we would consider today to be quite, sort of, stereotypical. They don’t hold up to what would work today. Also, within the storyline of the comics, and our movie, ‘the Ancient One’ is a title that many people have had. We hit very early on on, What if the Ancient One was a woman? What if the title had been passed and the current Ancient One is a woman? Oh, that’s an interesting idea. [Clicks fingers.] Tilda Swinton! Whoah! And it just hit.”

Unfortunately, the diversity flow chart always seems to make the jump to white women and then abruptly stops. Why not an Asian woman? It's not like Tilda Swinton is a seat filling box office juggernaut, and Marvel has proven that its the brand, and not necessarily the actors/actresses filling the screen - that are ultimately key to their film's continued success. So in a film with a bunch of recognizable faces like Benedict Cumberbatch, Mads Mikkelsen, Rachel McAdams and Chiwetel Ejiofor - why not seize an opportunity to cast an Asian woman if you're so keen on moving forward with a female Ancient One? Because Hollywood and Marvel ain't shit. That's why.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
How did they think that was a good idea?

Why not just give her an anglicized name?

Should have changed it to Major Martha Kent.

He was way more interesting than Strange, too.

Daniel Wu, currently starring Into the Badlands, worked this way.

It was 1997, and I decided to visit Hong Kong because this historical moment was happening, with the island being handed back to China. I made the mistake of going to Japan first, where I spent all of my money. By the time I got to Hong Kong I was broke. I was in this bar having a drink, depressed that I’d have to go straight back to the U.S., and this guy came up to me and asked if I wanted to be in a TV commercial. I asked how much, and they told me $4,000. And because I wanted to keep traveling, I took the money and did the ad. Well, this director, Yonfan, saw my commercial, and he called me in for an interview, and by the end of the conversation, he asked me to play the lead in his next film. I said to him, “Are you crazy? I don’t act, and I can’t even speak Cantonese!”

That same week, I ran into Jackie Chan at a party, and within a few minutes of talking, he told me he wanted to be my manager. “What, are you serious?” My mind was blown. I went from drinking in a bar to starring in a feature film and having the biggest star in Asia as my manager.

---

I knew from growing up that they wouldn’t put my kind of people onscreen. There were no decent roles for Asians, much less Asian males. Even when Jackie Chan broke through over here and people fell in love with him, they weren’t really seeing him as this iconic, superstar actor—they were seeing him as this cute, funny oriental dude who spoke broken English and did acrobatic tricks. As an Asian American male, what they were in love with is everything you hate, you know?

When they were premiering Rush Hour 2, Jackie invited all of the artists his company managed to come to L.A. for the premiere, and at the premiere party a producer came up to me and said, “Oh, you’re an actor in Hong Kong? But your English is amazing!” And I said, “Oh, I was born here.” “Oh, you’re not from Hong Kong?” And he lost interest in me as soon as he knew I was from America, not Asia. He bought into the stereotype that all Asians are foreigners, that we all speak with an accent.

I grew up with 16 Candles, Long Duk Dong, that shit. That character, for our generation, pretty much sealed the idea for a lot of Americans that all Asian people are like that.

Daniel Henney found a strong career as an actor in Korea.

“These projects wouldn’t have been there, years ago. There are so many doors that are opening now. I think that its a natural progression. I think it is important for us, as Asian Americans and Asians, to make sure we are ready.”

Korea served as the launching pad for his acting career, the significance of which is not lost on Henney. His fondness for the nation is expressed through his time spent in the country, when he is not filming in the United States. He continued to speak about the Korean entertainment industry and his pursuit of quality projects, “For all the great dramas that come out of Korea and all the great movies, there are tons that don’t make an impact. I want to make sure that the one that I do is a good project. It is important to me and I want to do something soon, in Korea. It is a very special place to work, I owe everything to the country.”

Maggie Q found a career in Hong Kong first.
In essence, Q’s story traces the timeworn arc of the American dream, except that Hong Kong, China, is the place that made it all possible. From misfit American teenager, to Asian supermodel, to struggling Hong Kong action actress, to international screen star, Q’s ascension has been fast, rocky and improbable at every turn. “Maggie is the only young talent of her generation to come out of the Hong Kong system and make the transition to Hollywood success,” says local film producer and Hong Kong cinema expert Bey Logan, who was one of Q’s confidants and frequent collaborators during her later Hong Kong days.

None could speak the language, but still found opportunity.

TV shows are a different medium though and offer a lower financial risk to financiers - I don't think the comparison is apt as films like these (Ghost & Strange) require $100M+ on production and usually hover around the same area for P&A.

TV shows seem to be much less burdened and given creative license comparatively to the output of film studios - I think that is one of the reasons why people gravitate more to TV these days and go to the movies solely for blockbuster entertainment.

A lot of the films picked up (greenlight) live in and die on the cast availability and talent, same for TV, but more so for films it seems (old mentality that still remains in Hollywood maybe?)

Duno if I explained myself well, it is late :p

As I've pointed out elsewhere, the star-driven picture is mostly a myth and crutch these days, not based in any reality.

Here's a result from crunching the hard data.

Epagogix a U.K. company led by Nick Meaney relies on neural networks to make predictive analyses about films that should or should not go into production by looking for script elements that correspond with either success or failure at the box office. They try to assess risk, for example, by looking at factors such as cast and location. Epagogix has found that A-list actors and directors are for the most part irrelevant to a film's bottom line.

The highly successful The Pirates of the Caribbean and the ill-fated Lone Ranger films illustrate this finding. Both films were produced by the same studio (Disney), same director (Gore Verbinkski) and boasted the same star (Johnny Depp). While the same writing team from Pirates worked on the Ranger film in the development at the mid-point, the Lone Ranger was subjected to numerous and substantial rewrites. The script was considered significantly weaker.

http://www.vulture.com/2012/07/why-stars-dont-matter-gavin-polone.html
Hiring an actor who has previously played the lead in a successful film does not necessarily convert into success and hiring a non-star cast doesn’t ensure failure. Hiring a star does always mean a higher budget for the picture and, sometimes, that the best actor for the part was passed over because he or she was not deemed “bankable” by the studio. I don’t think any studio executive would disagree with me on any of this, and yet when a studio has a script that they like and are thinking about making, whether or not that picture goes into production most likely depends on the attachment of a “bankable star.” And yet, history shows that there isn’t really any actor whose participation means a project will succeed.

I asked the successful head of marketing at a major studio if he needed a star to market a movie and he responded, “People pay money for concepts. Having a star doesn’t matter. There are a couple of stars who work within a concept. Daniel Craig is the best example; he hasn’t worked outside Bond. There is a legitimacy in Liam Neeson. I feel that Brad Pitt legitimized Inglourious Basterds. It made it mainstream. But if you have to take a leap with the concept, like on [Johnny Depp’s] Rum Diary, then it doesn’t matter. I’d rather have a $6 million actor and a good concept than someone else for $15 million and hope that the concept works.” All of that does make sense: The right actor in the right role will be attractive to an audience. It puts the horse before the cart; unfortunately, that’s not how studios usually green-light a movie.

The foreign market is frequently cited as the reason that stars matter. Whenever I’m trying to get an independent film going, I am always presented with a list that comes from a sales agent working on behalf of a prospective financier; this list shows the predicted international value of various actors or actresses on whose name the film is to be financed. The problem with this practice tends to be that those who are valuable internationally may not be as worthy to distributors in the U.S., or right creatively for the movie. A top international sales agent gave me the example that, “Jean Claude Van Damme is still huge in Eastern Europe and he may still be the No. 1 star in Turkey. That’s why he continues to get projects financed.” That’s all fine, but I could never get him approved to lead a movie here. If I’m trying to get an independent movie going with a female lead, the first two names that I’m almost always given from whoever is selling the movie around the world, regardless of what the movie is about, are Milla Jovovich and Kate Beckinsale, based on the overwhelming strength of the Resident Evil and Underworld franchises in most international markets. It could be a comedy about a bookish woman from Alabama and the first thing I will hear from the sales agent will be “Jovovich.” If I counter with anyone from Rachel McAdams to Emily Blunt, I will receive a disappointed, “Maybe … if you get someone like Gerard Butler to play the guy who works at the gas station.”
Notable quote:
Why, then, do studios continue to chase so-called “movie stars” for their films as opposed to just casting whoever would make the best movie? Because it provides cover for the decision-makers: If it fails, they can say, “I couldn’t have made a mistake by green-lighting this film because Leo is in it.” It’s about insecurity, which is rarely the basis of superior decision-making.

A film like Strange is being sold on one thing and one thing only:

vinnygambini

http://www.hitfix.com/harpy/marvel-...ir-whitewashing-of-doctor-strange-ancient-one

Unfortunately, the diversity flow chart always seems to make the jump to white women and then abruptly stops. Why not an Asian woman? It's not like Tilda Swinton is a seat filling box office juggernaut, and Marvel has proven that its the brand, and not necessarily the actors/actresses filling the screen - that are ultimately key to their film's continued success. So in a film with a bunch of recognizable faces like Benedict Cumberbatch, Mads Mikkelsen, Rachel McAdams and Chiwetel Ejiofor - why not seize an opportunity to cast an Asian woman if you're so keen on moving forward with a female Ancient One? Because Hollywood and Marvel ain't shit. That's why.

Thanks for the article, didn't know this.

Dan

Also, how does an article like this not mention 21? There's a case where the story was already entirely localized and based on reality. No weird questions about whether to move the story to America for a western adaptation or something. They still went and subbed in a white guy to play the character based on a real-life Asian-American.

I thought it was cause Tilda Swinton is a pretty well-known androgynous-y looking actor

I heard they called Lucy Lui and Michelle Yeoh but they didn't pick up.

On the other hand they are also trying to court the likes of China and still have not made the connection that maybe having Asian leads would maybe help with that.
It's ironic. Hollywood wants China's money for every movie yet they don't want to fully cater to them with Asian actors.
While I do agree with a decent bit of the article, there are some parts that seem like a lack of understanding of the characters, like this:

While we can't be for sure yet... Baron Mordo, if I recall correctly, has mostly been a villain to Doctor Strange, never a side kick.

Also:

While I don't think they needed to cast someone white for Doctor Strange, this sentiment seems to be from a lack of understand that Doctor Strange or rather Steven Strange, was already mentioned before hand (specifically mentioned in Winter Soldier). It seems like an odd complaint after the fact.

White actresses are no longer becoming the minority in Hollywood. There getting a lot of work now and Hollywood thinks that's where diversity ends.

Strange is a weird one cuz in the comics he always looked hispanic to me. I don't think the comics ever talk about his ethnicity.

jaekeem

Hollywood is so afraid of trying something new, but they don't realize that if you put out a blockbuster with some underrepresented lead than people would flock to see it simply for that reason, especially in today's environment where people are very cognizant of how whitewashed hollywood leads are.

Also, how does an article like this not mention 21? There's a case where the story was already entirely localized and based on reality. No weird questions about whether to move the story to America for a western adaptation or something. They still went and subbed in a white guy to play the character based on a real-life Asian-American.

And the lead they chose was the pulse-pounding firebrand that is Jim Sturgess. Yup.

White actresses are no longer becoming the minority in Hollywood. There getting a lot of work now and Hollywood thinks that's where diversity ends.

For white actresses in Hollywood, the issue is one of aging out far quicker than their male counterparts.

Walshicus

People from the occident are occidental. People from the orient are oriental. 'Asian' is a bad descriptor as a good chunk of the planet will use it exclusively to refer to people and things from the Indian subcontinent.

But yeah, it is a shame to see so many roles not go to actors who could fit the appearance requirements better. Negative feedback loop in terms of 'star power' there...

Yeah also speed racer and dragon ball bombed.. Partly because they failed to capture the fans of the original material and that also had to do with hiring actors that do not look like the original material at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom