• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man E3 2017 Gameplay - PS4 - 2018

Skux

Feels like people complaining about QTE is because they know they will mess them up, lol. Never had any trouble and I am personally fine with this, game looks amazing.

That's the thing though. You either get them or you fail and try it again. There's no meaningful choice in how you approach the scenario.

Symphonia

Banned
The only true QTE sequence I saw was with Spiderman running up the crane. Other than that, there was nothing. Even that sequence looked fine and had context critical to the plot. People just love making mountains out of molehills.

QkYML2W.gif

Sweet jesus.

The 4K footage and the gifs are just so damned beautiful.

shit..... is it GTA open or Batman open though? cause batman is hardly open in my eyes with all it's designed levels and decently made map

People have strange definitions of what open-world means. How is Batman not open-world? Sure it has designed levels...that are within an open-world. The entire world is open to you at any point.

DieH@rd

Banned
I just saw gamersyde's 4K trailer, and wow. What a treat.

BTW, I don't think that Spidey was Miles. Miles was just one of the people in the crowd seeing the action.

Gradly

I'm not sure what people are complaining about, this was a STORY mission so ofc lots of cutscenes and QTEs and if the game lacks those cinematic moments it will not be a Spider-man game, it will be another game and everyone will shout that this lacks the charm of being Spider-man.

If I have a problem with something I try to offer solution, not just complaining. And I'm pretty sure the devs tried a lot of things and some worked and some didn't and this what have worked so well

After Ratchet & Clank, I'm so excited to play this, and basically any Insomniac game from now on

People have strange definitions of what open-world means. How is Batman not open-world? Sure it has designed levels...that are within an open-world. The entire world is open to you at any point.
If you think far cry 4 and batman have anywhere near the same gameplay and mission structure then I think that is the strange part.

Most of batman's missions are levels made very specifically. It has some open missions and things to do but not that much.

And the world definitely isn't that big

There is a huge different in batman when compared to far cry, red dead and other open games that just create a big map and splotched enemy clusters all over it. They really are very different

Infamous one has some structures, second son felt a lot weaker and bland in many aspects and that's within the same series.

If I can finish it, then there is definitely a difference. I have newer finished a gta, quit red dead after forty Mintuee. I don't want to do something this trivial. Uncharted is hard enough for me but make it through for story and to see the next local atleast. Open world games feel more like work. All games do have a bit of redundancy and preemptive procedures though, I admit. That's why I want more skill based games and more physics based simulations

LaNaranja

Were my eyes deceiving me or was that a counter-based combat system ala Batman/Assassins Creed? If so I am super disappointed. I was hoping for a third person character action game in the vein of God of War/DMC/Most Platinum games with crazy combos and move sets.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
I'm not sure what people are complaining about, this was a STORY mission so ofc lots of cutscenes and QTEs and if the game lacks those cinematic moments it will not be a Spider-man game, it will be another game and everyone will shout that this lacks the charm of being Spider-man.

If I have a problem with something I try to offer solution, not just complaining. And I'm pretty sure the devs tried a lot of things and some worked and some didn't and this what have worked so well

After Ratchet & Clank, I'm so excited to play this, and basically any Insomniac game from now on

I'm guessing you've never heard of "the internet" before?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
If the qte's are just confined to the setpieces, then I'm fine with the sporadic use. We still don't have a lot to go on to form an opinion, all we can say for sure now is that the game looks stunning. Now the swinging, combat and overall gameplay need to match up to it. I just hope the combat scenarios don't feel too much like the Arkham games. Like for instance 'predator encounters' wouldn't really fit in this game, where stealth is the focus and you're not supposed to have an open brawl when seen. I'd like the mix of maybe taking on a few guys quietly and then do the rest in open combat. As little stealth as possible would be fine by me.

kiyomi

Were my eyes deceiving me or was that a counter-based combat system ala Batman/Assassins Creed? If so I am super disappointed. I was hoping for a third person character action game in the vein of God of War/DMC/Most Platinum games with crazy combos and move sets.

The combat looked extremely Arkham to me. The punching combo, dodging etc. Even a lot of the swinging remind me of the grapple in Arkham. I guess that was all to be expected, but I kinda wanted.. more? It doesn't look like particularly unique which was kind of a shame.

Bl@de

The combat looked extremely Arkham to me. The punching combo, dodging etc. Even a lot of the swinging remind me of the grapple in Arkham. I guess that was all to be expected, but I kinda wanted.. more? It doesn't look like particularly unique which was kind of a shame.

Don't forget the red flashes when an enemy is about to attack. The moment when you press the counter button ;-)

I love the Arkham games so it's fine by me.

iMerc

game looks awesome.
the cameo from miles morales was a nice touch. i wonder if he'll get to be spiderman in this game, too?

also interested to know if this closely follows the "One More Day" saga and mephisto has retconned a whole bunch of stuff. after all, Mr. Negative seems like the main bad guy.
wouldn't mind if they also introduced agent Venom.
also, Spiderman helps the avengers out a lot. wonder if they'll make any cameos. :)

Head.spawn

I'm loving all of these little details you can actually see in the 4k footage. Looks amazing.

Are all of those movements of his suit physics based or are those touches hand animated in? There is a lot going on there while he's darting all over the place.

This game looks fucking amazing, imo. Much better than the infamous games as well. A more refined and fun version of that, is what it looks like. If the QTE are short and sweet, as they seem to be, I quite enjoy them. And if they are not too many, in that case it can actually be really cool little scene to play out.

If you know Suckerpunch you can see how they'd come to such a great Spidey game. And it seems like Superhero games and other big franchises are now getting great studios like we always wanted.

This game is going to be money in the bank. It's going to sell so well.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I didn't watch the entire video last night, but what I saw looked good. But like in E3 shows of the past I feel it wasn't real. It looked like a staged showing like The Division and Watchdogs, where the final product doesn't measure up to it's E3 counterpart.

JimiNutz

Banned
I thought this looked brilliant and I still can't really believe we are getting a Sony/Insomniac Spider-Man game.

Sunset Overdrive was amazing.
Ratchet and Clank was amazing.
This game is going to be amazing.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit

spider man fights by flipping around not getting hit while making small precise hits not rushing in doing dbz shit the arkham way of doing counters and dodging is perfect for spider man

Well, Batman combat was Spider-Man 2-esque so full circle I guess.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
spider man fights by flipping around not getting hit while making small precise hits not rushing in doing dbz shit the arkham way of doing counters and dodging is perfect for spider man
Indeed. Wild dodging and counters are what Spider-Man combat should be like, with tons of environmental usage. The video looked real appropriate to me.

I didn't watch the entire video last night, but what I saw looked good. But like in E3 shows of the past I feel it wasn't real. It looked like a staged showing like The Division and Watchdogs, where the final product doesn't measure up to it's E3 counterpart.

Watch the whole video?

This isn't ubisoft. lol

Hopefully more clarifying tomorrow, they are going to be playing variation/extension of this demo.

It might be inspired by both. That interview sounded like you still have full control of aerial combat, webbing, environment attacks and all that

imo, Arkham style fighting makes a lot of sense here. Handling multiple enemies and spidey sense really lends itself well to that Spidey kind of fighting.

Rurunaki

People complaining there's too much QTE? Wut? My first thought was this game is like Batman but with Uncharted scenematic set pieces. Excited for this.

That looked fantastic!

Insomniac knocks it out of the park with this style of game, so you know it's gonna be awesome even without seeing the gameplay.

Spinluck

You really need to stop with the "set piece" excuse.

Because it doesn't matter. The set pieces should be super exciting to play, far more than the generic "go stop thieves" missions you're gonna get in sand box.

A succession of forced actions and QTE is boring.

The point of having better technology is allowing games to let you play "insane moments". Uncharted 4 did a great job at that. Was the gameplay guided ? Sure, but it was still playable.

Having no interaction and being forced to press the button the game wants you to, just to see a cutscene, is the least fun you can have. Linear moments and set pieces are fine if they make you feel like you are doing something.

Uncharted has a lot of so called walking simulator moments amarite (only kidding, U4 is my favorite in the series)? I like the example, but there​ are a ton of moments when control is taken from the player.

If it's done well given the context of what's on screen it's fine.

You're using the experience of an entire game up against a 9 minutes clip of footage meant to look as flashy as possible.

Top Bottom