• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Blade Runner 2049' Is A Box Office Disaster With Poor $13M Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlsojo

Worst part of Blade Runner is all the nerds trying to bash other films to prop up Blade Runner.

Top of the page: you guys are going to be even saltier when Happy Death Day crushes Blade Runner this weekend.

Worst part of Blade Runner is all the nerds trying to bash other films to prop up Blade Runner.

Top of the page: you guys are going to be even saltier when Happy Death Day crushes Blade Runner this weekend.

I’m just tired of people complaining about a lack of original filmmaking in Hollywood and then never support original films. Say you just want crowd pleasing sequels and move on.

Yep, we have fluffy bullshit like Thor: Ragnarok trending for a 100m+ opening weekend while a brilliant film crashes and burns. Americans have very poor taste overall.

I loved Blade Runner, but I also like fluffy bullshit comic book films. There's room on my plate for both.

dabig2

Seriously. I'm half expecting people to un-ironically start going:

"At this moment, I'm euphoric. Not because of empty, mass-consumed "fun" popcorn movies, but because I am enlightened by my own intelligence in watching high art sci-fi".

Drifters

I'm heading to see it again tonight. First time was on IMAX and now on regular 35mm. I don't get why people hate the film, it's quite brilliant!

Zakalwe

Banned

It /is/ shit that HDD will earn more than 2049, and that has nothing to do with looking down on anyone.

Simply that 2049 is something rare, a huge budget mood-piece sequel to a much beloved original that's actually good. HDD doing well/badly will change nothing, people are still going to get their popcorn flicks (and HDD looks like a lot of fun) and there's an abundance of them already...

2049 doing poorly will make it harder for films like this to get made and they're already very rare.

RS4-

150 million.

Production company went all in.

If 2049 does poorly long-term this will definitely make it difficult for films like this to be made, for a while at least.

That means more Twilight-like movies which makes the world a better place!

mlclmtckr

Banned
The movie has made ~$100M worldwide so far. It's doing alright for an R-rated movie.

But I think they did release it too wide. It's the third biggest R-rated movie release ever:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/widestmpaa.htm?page=R&p=.htm

It has excellent reviews and word-of-mouth. And it'll be a go-to 4k showoff movie on home video.

So it definitely isn't going to be a financial disaster. Budget was $150M. We'll see how well it does this weekend but I think it will probably make its production budget back before it's out of theatres.

The fuckup seems to be exhibitors putting it on so many screens, not Columbia marketing it wrong or the movie being bad. Which is good news for people who want more movies like this, because the people who made BR2049 are going to do alright.

lol Why are people in this thread so angry.

I don't think anyone was bashing other films.

If you enjoy movies, how is it not a tad sad that movies like 2049 have such a difficult time in the theatres and as a result will less likely be even given the opportunity to be made while we just keep getting bombarded with these popcorn flicks all year long.

It /is/ shit that HDD will earn more than 2049, and that has nothing to do with looking down on anyone.

Simply that 2049 is something rare, a huge budget mood-piece sequel to a much beloved original that's actually good. HDD doing well/badly will change nothing, people are still going to get their popcorn flicks (and HDD looks like a lot of fun) and there's an abundance of them already...

2049 doing poorly will make it harder for films like this to get made and they're already very rare.

Maybe, just maybe Hollywood will finally learn to not blow huge budgets on movies people don't want to see. The original earned the title of "cult" classic for a reason. You don't blow 150 million on a sequel to that type of movie.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Maybe, just maybe Hollywood will finally learn to not blow huge budgets on movies people don't want to see. The original earned the title of "cult" classic for a reason. You don't blow 150 million on a sequel to that type of movie.

this is a fundamental misunderstanding of why studios make 'prestige' pictures

I hope they don’t as this movie is amazing. If you’re going to take a loss on a movie take a loss on a movie that I think will be regarded as one of the greats in the genre

gatti-man

Idk about bashing other films but Blade Runner is a great film that deserves financial success.

mlclmtckr

Banned
This was both a "prestige" picture and a "we need to prove we can do big budget blockbusters" movie.

Trying to do both at once was a colossal error.

Why do you say that though? I don't think this was ever intended to compete with, like, Star Wars or a cape movie.

kirblar

Why do you say that though? I don't think this was ever intended to compete with, like, Star Wars or a cape movie.
Because that was explicitly why this smaller studio did a $150M movie. They felt they needed to do this in order to get more work. This has been gone over in multiple articles.

DonShula

The movie has made ~$100M worldwide so far. It's doing alright for an R-rated movie.

But I think they did release it too wide. It's the third biggest R-rated movie release ever:

It has excellent reviews and word-of-mouth. And it'll be a go-to 4k showoff movie on home video.

So it definitely isn't going to be a financial disaster. Budget was $150M. We'll see how well it does this weekend but I think it will probably make its production budget back before it's out of theatres.

The fuckup seems to be exhibitors putting it on so many screens, not Columbia marketing it wrong or the movie being bad. Which is good news for people who want more movies like this, because the people who made BR2049 are going to do alright.

Loved the movie, but the marketing was definitely off. I watched the original and 2049 on the same day, for the first time, and I honestly thought I was going to see two action movies. I liked what I saw from the original and liked 2049, but they were not at all what I thought they were. I got the sci-fi part of the marketing for sure, but in 2017 sci-fi pretty much means action. It seems this happened to a lot of people from the opening weekend reactions, and a good percentage weren’t happy about it. Even the name is just off - and I suppose it always has been.

kirblar

Well yeah, to me that is like textbook prestige as opposed to blockbuster.
$150M is a blockbuster budget.

Here's a list of the 2015 Oscar nominees- http://variety.com/2015/film/awards/for-oscar-nominees-prestige-often-meets-profits-1201431462/
BOYHOOD
Production Budget: $4 Million
Worldwide B.O.: $44.2 Million
ROI: 1,005%

THE IMITATION GAME
Production Budget: $15 Million
Worldwide B.O.: $132.9 Million
ROI: 786%

THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL
Production Budget: $25 Million
Worldwide B.O.: $174.6 Million
ROI: 598%

AMERICAN SNIPER*
Production Budget: $58.8 Million
Worldwide B.O.: $321.6 Million
ROI: 446%

THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING*
Production Budget: $15 Million
Worldwide B.O.: $81.9 Million
ROI: 446%

BIRDMAN*
Production Budget: $16.5 Million
Worldwide B.O.: $59.2 Million
ROI: 259%

WHIPLASH*
Production Budget: $3.3 Million
Worldwide B.O.: $9.6 Million
ROI: 191%

SELMA*
Production Budget: $20 Million
Worldwide B.O.: $43.7 Million
ROI: 119%

Tales from my ass the blade runner edition, who is bashing other movies?

mlclmtckr

Banned
Loved the movie, but the marketing was definitely off. I watched the original and 2049 on the same day, for the first time, and I honestly thought I was going to see two action movies. I liked what I saw from the original and liked 2049, but they were not at all what I thought they were. I got the sci-fi part of the marketing for sure, but in 2017 sci-fi pretty much means action. It seems this happened to a lot of people from the opening weekend reactions, and a good percentage weren’t happy about it. Even the name is just off - and I suppose it always has been.

Hmm that is a good point, I guess this movie inherited all the marketing issues from its prequel. Maybe they were leaning too hard on people having seen the first one.

It's kind of funny that the movies are called "blade runner" and yet are very slow and have no, uh, blades. Like I remember seeing the poster or DVD box or something for the first one and thinking it was about swordfighting futuristic cyborgs.

So it makes sense that people would think the same thing with 2049. I guess they just thought everyone had already seen the original.

this is a fundamental misunderstanding of why studios make 'prestige' pictures

Hey if the studio is happy with losing a large amount of money just for the "prestige" of the film then more power to them. Just don't think many studios are in the business of losing a hundred million dollars.

mlclmtckr

Banned
$150M is a blockbuster budget.

Here's a list of the 2015 Oscar nominees- http://variety.com/2015/film/awards/for-oscar-nominees-prestige-often-meets-profits-1201431462/

I mean, alright. But do you think of a movie like Dunkirk as a blockbuster? Or as intended to be a blockbuster? Mad Max Fury Road? Master and Commander: Far Side of the World? Miami Vice 2006? The Great Gatsby 2013?

Edit-

Hey if the studio is happy with losing a large amount of money just for the "prestige" of the film then more power to them. Just don't think many studios are in the business of losing a hundred million dollars.

They're not going to lose a hundred million dollars on this, not when all is said and done. It still has this weekend, plus whatever foreign markets it hasn't opened in yet, and then a long lucrative life on home video and streaming.

But even if that weren't true the thing is they do see a movie like this as a good investment. Studios don't make prestige pictures out of a love of cinema, they make them because they raise the profile of the studio and the people involved. There are payoffs in the form of awards, reviews, best-of lists etc which translate to more money down the road.

hydruxo

At this point, I'm just happy this movie was even made at all for the budget it had. Definitely one of my favorite films of the last decade.

Trago

The bolded is especially true. This is gonna be the first UHD movie I buy when I get a 4KTV.

I fear the weekend to weekend drops will only get worse. Zero word of mouth in my neck of the woods, I'm the only person I know who has seen it. And I couldn't really recommend it to most of my friends because it's just not everyone's kind of movie.

Still a masterpiece and I'm so glad it got made. Denis V is the messiah of 21st century cinema.

Risible

I’m just tired of people complaining about a lack of original filmmaking in Hollywood and then never support original films. Say you just want crowd pleasing sequels and move on.

This is way too binary of a viewpoint.

You can be original but still not be that good. I loved the first but didn't enjoy the second. That doesn't mean I didn't support the film, as I clearly bought a ticket to it. It does however mean word of mouth will be negative and then drive others away. Should I lie and tell people I liked it just to drive traffic to the movie?

Good to hear.

Going to see it again today. It's just too cool. I could watch movies like this every day.

So is it pretty safe to say there won't be a sequel?

No, wouldn't say that at this point.

I've seen a lot of discussion on how the movie treats its female characters poorly. I didn't even think about it but, most of the violent deaths were from female characters. I know it's par the course for the Noir genre but I can understand someone not being comfortable seeing those scenes.

So is it pretty safe to say there won't be a sequel?

If Pacific Rim got a Sequel, I'd say there's a chance we get one here too.

Depends on Alcron and if they stick around, I imagine. I bet they could make a Blade Runner for 90 million and that might work out just fine.

I'm not quite sure what they'd do though. I don't think I want to watch a movie about the uprising/war.

I've seen a lot of discussion on how the movie treats its female characters poorly. I didn't even think about it but, most of the violent deaths were from female characters. I know it's par the course for the Noir genre but I can understand someone not being comfortable seeing those scenes.

My girlfriend didn't enjoy the movie nearly as much as I did, and largely for this reason. It would have been nice if there were at least one major female character who got out relatively unscathed.

kirblar

I mean, alright. But do you think of a movie like Dunkirk as a blockbuster? Or as intended to be a blockbuster? Mad Max Fury Road? Master and Commander: Far Side of the World? Miami Vice 2006? The Great Gatsby 2013?

Edit-

They're not going to lose a hundred million dollars on this, not when all is said and done. It still has this weekend, plus whatever foreign markets it hasn't opened in yet, and then a long lucrative life on home video and streaming.

But even if that weren't true the thing is they do see a movie like this as a good investment. Studios don't make prestige pictures out of a love of cinema, they make them because they raise the profile of the studio and the people involved. There are payoffs in the form of awards, reviews, best-of lists etc which translate to more money down the road.
You need to go read the articles about this film. They are explicit about their intentions. They wanted a big budget blockbuster to carve a piece of that market pie for themselves.

They also wanted to make sure it was a really good movie on top of that.

You don't make a 150 million dollar movie to bank on 20 years of home video sales to turn a profit.

mlclmtckr

Banned
You need to go read the articles about this film. They are explicit about their intentions. They wanted a big budget blockbuster to carve a piece of that market pie for themselves.

They also wanted to make sure it was a really good movie on top of that.

I believe you, but that's a weird thing for them to say. I mean anyone who has seen this movie would be able to understand that it doesn't have the same appeal as a Star Wars or Marvel or even a Nolan movie.

But the larger point still stands, there is such a thing as the big-budget prestige movie. And whether intentionally or accidentally, that's what BR2049 turned out to be. If the studio thought this was going to have a $100M opening weekend then, yeah, they were extremely wrong. But that doesn't mean that kind of movie doesn't exist.

Every studio wants a La La Land that they can make for $30M and that turns a massive profit. But occasionally they put out something that's really expensive and generally well-reviewed but not a giant tentpole box office success.

You don't make a 150 million dollar movie to bank on 20 years of home video sales to turn a profit.

I'm not talking 20 years, I'm talking, like, less than 1.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
It’s a damn shame, but movies are fucking weird anymore. Box office still rules the day, but someone will sell the Blade Runner IP to some AR company in 10 years for twice what it woulda gone for.

Surfinn

If Pacific Rim got a Sequel, I'd say there's a chance we get one here too.

Depends on Alcron and if they stick around, I imagine. I bet they could make a Blade Runner for 90 million and that might work out just fine.

I'm not quite sure what they'd do though. I don't think I want to watch a movie about the uprising/war.

My girlfriend didn't enjoy the movie nearly as much as I did, and largely for this reason. It would have been nice if there were at least one major female character who got out relatively unscathed.

I think they could do a sequel about the uprising/war in a way that doesn't amount to be a straight up action film. But yeah, it would probably have to be quite a bit different from the other two films

But the larger point still stands, there is such a thing as the big-budget prestige movie. And whether intentionally or accidentally, that's what BR2049 turned out to be. If the studio thought this was going to have a $100M opening weekend then, yeah, they were extremely wrong. But that doesn't mean that kind of movie doesn't exist.

Which movies were created with 150 million dollar budgets with no expectations of turning a profit at the box office?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom