• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Quickly tried the Sharpshooter at a local store and as I suspected it's not for me. Fast and precise turns are really difficult to pull off since you have to perform much bigger movement than simply flicking the wrist. It's very easy to "over-turn" and difficult to halt camera rotation timely simply because you have more body muscles involved compared to when using just your wrist. I had to turn on camera assist in order to minimize this issue but still, I couldn't line up my shots as fast and reliably as with the vanilla Move.

Another issue I have is with the jump button. They mapped it on the Square button to the side of the gun since your left thumb is on the stick, but accessing that blindly and timely ain't easy so you have to keep a finger on it. I ended up using the index for jumping, which forced me to operate the trigger with the middle finger and the Move button below it with the ring finger. It all felt quite awkward.

Also, reloading with either the pump or the bottom smash options is just too slow and causes the Move to tilt either up or downwards, fucking up the camera.

Melee worked fine.

Finally, I played for 5 minutes and I can still feel the pain in my shoulders.

Overall I think it's a nice peripheral for the single player mode (with assists on) and for simple shooters like Time Crisis or Extractions, but for online competitive play I'd definitely advice against it.

Soma

Just waiting for my cousin to get out of the shower and we're gonna go pick up my copy of the game.

So very excite!

chris121580

TTP said:
Quickly tried the Sharpshooter at a local store and as I suspected it's not for me. Fast and precise turns are really difficult to pull off since you have to perform much bigger movement than simply flicking the wrist. It's very easy to "over-turn" and difficult to halt camera rotation timely simply because you have more body muscles involved compared to when using just your wrist. I had to turn on camera assist in order to minimize this issue but still, I couldn't line up my shots as fast and reliably as with the vanilla Move.

Another issue I have is with the jump button. They mapped it on the Square button to the side of the gun since your left thumb is on the stick, but accessing that blindly and timely ain't easy so you have to keep a finger on it. I ended up using the index for jumping, which forced me to operate the trigger with the middle finger and the Move button below it with the ring finger. It all felt quite awkward.

Also, reloading with either the pump or the bottom smash options is just too slow and causes the Move to tilt either up or downwards, fucking up the camera.

Melee worked fine.

Overall I think it's a nice peripheral for the single player mode (with assists on) and for simple shooters like Time Crisis or Extractions, but for online competitive play I'd definitely advice against it.
You definitely need more than 5 minutes with it. It took a little over an hour for me to finally feel comfortable with it. You also really need to take the time to calibrate the controls to how you want them. I'm not sure why your reticle moved when you reloaded. It sounds like either the move or the navigation controller were not sealed in all the way. That has never happened to me. I can definitely understand this peripheral won't be for everyone but you definitely need to spend more than 5 minutes with it to really get a good feel for how it's going to be.

Just finished playing an MP session. Just can't get used to the DS3 at all for FPS games. Guess I'll be playing with the move whenever I get the move motion controller.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
The set pieces even in the first level of the campaign are just astounding. They really capture the scale and magnitude of an extrasolar war. Can't wait to see what else the game has in store.

chris121580 said:
You definitely need more than 5 minutes with it. It took a little over an hour for me to finally feel comfortable with it. You also really need to take the time to calibrate the controls to how you want them. I'm not sure why your reticle moved when you reloaded. It sounds like either the move or the navigation controller were not sealed in all the way. That has never happened to me. I can definitely understand this peripheral won't be for everyone but you definitely need to spend more than 5 minutes with it to really get a good feel for how it's going to be.

I'm guessing he's talking about having to take a hand off to hit the bottom button to reload, which just causes you to have to readjust the weight of the gun in your other hand, meaning the whole thing moves.

Jtrizzy

TTP said:

Melee worked fine.

Yeah I'd say the sharp shooter is best with on rails segments in the game so far. Granted, I suck with Move and am having trouble with movement/turning anyway.

I think putting sharpshooter on some kind of swivel stand, and just have the seperate nav controller would be ideal. I wish that this was just pointer control and there was a joystick on the move honestly. Hopefully I'll get the hang of it using Move be it with the sharpshooter or without.

Weird, I bought this at Futureshop and it came with a free Starship Troopers Blu-Ray. Haven't watched it in about 13 years, maybe I'll pop it in later.

Started the campaign. It's Killzone. God I love Guerrilla's style, every frame is suitable for... framing. Opening sequence was a pleasant surprise.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Just started the campaign. Can't believe how good this looks. Best looking fps I've seen to date including anything on the PC.

torontoml

revolverjgw said:
Weird, I bought this at Futureshop and it came with a free Starship Troopers Blu-Ray. Haven't watched it in about 13 years, maybe I'll pop it in later.

Started the campaign. It's Killzone. God I love Guerrilla's style, every frame is suitable for... framing. Opening sequence was a pleasant surprise.
I bought this at futureshop today, but I didn't get anything free??

OSHAN

KingOfKong said:
ups tracking showed out for delivery at 7 AM and about 2 hrs later it shows arrival back at the facility. i am slightly worried.

I empathize. I ordered my copy through Amazon with release day delivery but apparently it hasn't even shipped yet; I called UPS and they said they had no information beyond:

A label for this shipment has been created, but UPS does not yet have possession of this shipment. Once we receive the shipment, the tracking status will be updated.

UPS said contact Amazon, and I just did, and they're looking into. Boo.

Oneself

Damn this game looks good. I'm blown away, it looks much better than I expected. The particles, the lighting, everything in the background animates, it's really impressive. !!! at the water effects too. Texture work is awesome too.

woohoo it arrived! just checked the tracking and it still shows that it is back at the facility so hopefully that is some good news for those of you still waiting,

chris121580

blurredvision said:
I'm guessing he's talking about having to take a hand off to hit the bottom button to reload, which just causes you to have to readjust the weight of the gun in your other hand, meaning the whole thing moves.
You actually don't have to take your hand off of it to reload. You just cock it with your left hand.

A.R.K

dark10x said:
Just started the campaign. Can't believe how good this looks. Best looking fps I've seen to date including anything on the PC.

oh what did you do here...now the PC Elite Force will be after you ;)

Anyways, got my copy from Amazon! 10 more hours till I get to play :(

Oneself said:
I'm having lots of sound issues though... only the in-game voices, they keep repeating like a broken CD.

Yeah, had that on the first stage. The conversation went something like this:
"Do you see the convoy?"
"Do you see the convoy?"
"Do you see the convoy? convoy?"
Rico: "yeah"
"Do you see the convoy?"

I find it kinda amusing lol.

btkadams

"The code you entered may not be correct or may no longer be valid." Does anyone else get this message when they enter the socom beta code into psn??? :(

dark10x

A.R.K said:
oh what did you do here...now the PC Elite Force will be after you ;)

Anyways, got my copy from Amazon! 10 more hours till I get to play :(
Hey, to be fair, the PC could do a better job with what's here if it were ported. :)

Zoibie

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Is there any word of a digital retail release of the soundtrack? If not does anyone want to sell their voucher coupon for it?

Nothing yet, but I'd be surprised if it didn't end up on iTunes or some place.

OSHAN

Does anyone know if the bonus MP maps from pre-ordering can be shared? My friend picked the game up today but didn't pre-order, and he has access to my PSN account.

Sporran

btkadams said:
"The code you entered may not be correct or may no longer be valid." Does anyone else get this message when they enter the socom beta code into psn??? :(

I didnt think the beta was ready yet, the code is for when it goes live?

MoFuzz

dark10x said:
Hey, to be fair, the PC could do a better job with what's here if it were ported. :)
But you'd just end up tweaking graphics effects to achieve a perfect 60 fps that never once stutters even though the PS3 version is capped at 30.

Better to have it on PS3, where you'll actually play it.

mr stroke

2real4tv said:
Make sure you turn the bass up the sound is awesome.

is the sound this good, like reference quality good? enough for me to hook up PS3 in another room with a 5.1 system?

Reviews don't say much about the audio quality

Oneself

The more I play (single player) the more I wonder what some reviewers were expecting.. it's like Killzone 2 but better in every way. The CODs of this world aren't getting lower scores because they just do what every CODs did before.

And Sony must have magicians working for them; games like Uncharted2, GOW3 & this with no install.. WTF!?

A.R.K

brandonh83 said:
God, the graphics. Holy shit.

Damn it!! you guys are making the wait more painful :)

Too bad I am reading bad things about the MP framerate. I never had a bad experience of a drastic low framerate in the beta. I hope this is not true.

chris121580

Dreamgazer said:
Yeah, had that on the first stage. The conversation went something like this:
"Do you see the convoy?"
"Do you see the convoy?"
"Do you see the convoy? convoy?"
"Do you see the convoy?"

I find it kinda amusing lol.
:lol I got this too. Hilarious

Skyebaron

Banned
dark10x said:

Good thing KZ3 is a very good shooter because graphics wise its not very impressive if you have a decent PC. 460gtx decent.

spats

Skyebaron said:
Good thing KZ3 is a very good shooter because graphics wise its not very impressive if you have a decent PC. 460gtx decent.

Let's not start this again. Every few fucking pages, it seems it's unavoidable.

Oneself said:
And Sony must have magicians working for them; games like Uncharted2, GOW3 & this with no install.. WTF!?

Yeah, really. I rented it this morning, had some things to do so I thought eh why not just go ahead, start it up and get the install out of the way... WAT

A.R.K

Skyebaron said:

I told you they will be here after your bait lol

dark10x

Skyebaron said:
5870 here with i7 @ 3.2 Ghz. I've played Metro and Crysis at the highest detail settings. I know what the PC has on tap. It's not a matter of power, rather, one of design. Kz3 is just impressive all around.

Top Bottom