• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

coopolon

I'd be very happy to get GalCiv2 on Steam. I always mean to pick it up on sale, but I NEVER open Impulse or go to impulsedriven so I never see when they have sales. I'm sure it's been on sale at an acceptable price numerous times, but now that it will be on Steam I can't miss it.

Edit: In other news, I just unlocked a Skyrim achievement while in Offline mode. I thought that wasn't possible?

Chesskid1

Banned
DyMjp.png

NHvYl.png

GGDPb.png

Super Meat Boy Anniversary Pack is coming to steam, comes with

Half-Life 2
Half-Life 2: Deathmatch
Half-Life 2: Lost Coast
Gish
World of Goo
Aquaria
Braid
Machinarium
Super Meat Boy
Bit.Trip Beat
Bit.Trip Runner
VVVVVV
+ soundtracks for most of the games.

Super Meat Boy was released Nov 30th, 2010, so the sell will probably be sometime around then.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
What a weird selection of games. Does that have anything to do with the Humble Bundle? That's the only connection I can discern.

Lime said:
How's Diner Dash? I thought I heard about it somewhere, but I cannot remember if it was good or bad info.

I've only played the iPhone version, but that was pretty fun. I know the PC game has been hugely popular for years.

Chesskid1

Banned
Madrugador said:
What does this even mean? o.o

Super Meat Boy Anniversary Pack is coming to steam, comes with

Half-Life 2
Half-Life 2: Deathmatch
Half-Life 2: Lost Coast
Gish
World of Goo
Aquaria
Braid
Machinarium
Super Meat Boy
Bit.Trip Beat
Bit.Trip Runner
VVVVVV
+ soundtracks for most of the games.

Super Meat Boy was released Nov 30th, 2010, so it will probably start around then. seems very random for game selection, who knows.

don't see any, gez!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I just want Bit-Trip Runner by itself. Why is it always packed in with games I have and shitty games?

Dice

Nabs said:
i got it for 2.50 on it's own a few months ago.
*checks steamprices.com* Jul 1st, huh? Was that the summer sale? Probably overshadowed by other deals...

morningbus

Dice said:
*checks steamprices.com* Jul 1st, huh? Was that the summer sale? Probably overshadowed by other deals...

It was a fairly prominent sale. You got a Summer Camp achievement for doing something in the game, if I remember correctly.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Spwn said:
So Oblivion is outselling Modern Warfare 3 on Steam? That's madness!

Call of Duty has always lacked the iron grip on the PC that it has on consoles.

ArjanN

morningbus said:
What a weird selection of games. Does that have anything to do with the Humble Bundle? That's the only connection I can discern.

All those games have characters that are in Super Meat Boy.

The headcrab from Half-Life
Tim from Braid
Commander Video from the bit.trip games,
etc.

PaulLFC

Not sure if posted: More Humble Bundles on the way, this time Introversion.

The initial bundle - Darwinia, Uplink, Defcon, Multiwinia
Extras for paying more than average - Aquaria, Crayon Physics Deluxe

Sye d'Burns

PaulLFC said:

I remember seeing it mentioned on here. Still it bears reminding. It's a heck of a pack. It's just a shame I already have everything in it.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
PaulLFC said:

That's an excellent bundle.

upandaway

PaulLFC said:

What's "more than average"?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
upandaway said:
What's "more than average"?

... same as every other Humble Bundle, you choose how much or how little to pay, and if you choose to pay more than the average of whatever everyone has paid, you get bonus games.

krpiper

PaulLFC said:

I have the "extra" games but I have always wanted to play Defcon and Darwinia

Sye d'Burns

upandaway said:
I mean yeah okay, but is it a known value or is it a guessing game? Sorry for not clarifying.

It's above the "average" donation. The average goes up or down depending on the total amount of money divided by the amount of donors.

edit: I think I see what you mean. They post the average donation so that you are aware of it and tell you that if you give more you will get the extras.

morningbus

upandaway said:
I mean yeah okay, but is it a known value or is it a guessing game? Sorry for not clarifying.

There is no way to know until the bundle starts. You must beat the current average donation to receive the games. So, if the current average donation is $5.00, you must donate at least $5.01.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Sye d'Burns said:
As well you should. You have brought shame upon yourself, your seed, breed and generation.

:p

That's a lot a shame. I should be proud!

PaulLFC said:

Aquaria is a nice bonus.

upandaway

Sye d'Burns said:
It's above the "average" donation. The average goes up or down depending on the total amount of money divided by the amount of donors.

edit: I think I see what you mean. They post the average donation so that you are aware of it and tell you that if you give more you will get the extras.
Yeah, thanks, I see now. I think it would have been fun to guess for an appropriate price and hope that it was similar to what everyone else thinks.

Joe Molotov

Usually the extras are added like a day or two later, and everyone that donates before the extras are added gets all the stuff no matter what they donated. So if you're poor but you still want everything, get in early.

Tomodachi

I bought Oblivion on Steam (the only "modern" elder scrolls I didn't have on it), which crashes on me as soon as I start a new game. Not right away tough, but as soon as I move towards the prison door and the other prisoner starts talking to me. What the hell... playing on a 560 Ti if that can help.
I installed Obscuro's mod and thought that was the crash source but then I disabled it, deleted the oblivion.ini file and I still get the error... :(

EDIT: correction, game crashes as soon as I move or jump, it crashes even if I approach the wall opposite the door. no problem as long as I stand still and just move the camera with the mouse. Weird.

Dice

Seems like a sound-related crash. Are your audio settings set too high for the game? Right click on your volume icon, click playback devices, select your main/default one and hit properties, then go to advanced and set that to 24bit 44100 Hz.

If that's not it, I don't know, but if you can look around graphics probably aren't the issue.

Tomodachi

Dice said:
Seems like a sound-related crash. Are your audio settings set too high for the game? Right click on your volume icon, click playback devices, select your main/default one and hit properties, then go to advanced and set that to 24bit 44100 Hz.

If that's not it, I don't know, but if you can look around graphics probably aren't the issue.
I actually had those settings quite messed up, audio was 16 bit and 48khz. But even correcting those, rebooting and all, game still crashes.

One thing I forgot to mention before, when it crashes an audio loops remain until I reboot the computer. So I guess it probably is something audio related indeed... I'll do some more tests :/

EDIT: I disabled my sound card (asus xonar dg) and no crashs at all :O thanks man, great intuition! now I'll have to find a way to play with sound :/

PaulLFC

Had my first real annoyance with Steam today, and it could have been entirely avoidable.

Saints Row: The Third just turned up in the post today, but since it's not released until tomorrow, I can't play it. Fair enough, but here's where things get silly.

After activating the game, I clicked "install" with the disc in the drive, only to be told "No! The game isn't released yet, so you can't install it!"

Only, when I double click Saints Row: The Third in my game library, I'm given the option to pre load it. It appears to be downloading the entire game, refusing to acknowledge that the disc containing the needed files is in my DVD drive, and instead wasting my bandwidth downloading files it already has access to.

Yeah, I could wait a day and install off the disc then, but if I can pre-load, why can't I pre-load off the disc I have?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
PaulLFC said:
Yeah, I could wait a day and install off the disc then, but if I can pre-load, why can't I pre-load off the disc I have?
Complaining about an online platform (in this case, Steam and it's interface) because said platform does not allow you to use a disc (Your Early Saints Row The Third DVD copy) to circumvent a system (pre-loading game content so, when the game comes out, downloading it is not an issue) implemented to solve/diminish a problem (servers get too overloaded when a game releases, preventing people from downloading the game in a timely manner) that only exists in a digital distribution scenario is not really a valid concern in my book.

In other words, you bought the DVD, you already physically pre-loaded your game files. Just wait until the game is out and then install it.

An alternate, less asshole-y answer:

The files on the game disc are not encrypted. Pre-loaded files are always encrypted. Unless you want Steam to encrypt them locally (which would be stupid, because then Steam would have the encryption keys, which would make the fact of them being encrypted useless in the first place), there's no way to recreate the preload files locally.

PaulLFC

drizzle said:
Complaining about an online platform (in this case, Steam and it's interface) because said platform does not allow you to use a disc (Your Early Saints Row The Third DVD copy) to circumvent a system (pre-loading game content so, when the game comes out, downloading it is not an issue) implemented to solve/diminish a problem (servers get too overloaded when a game releases, preventing people from downloading the game once it releases in a timely manner) that only exists in an digital distribution scenario is not really a valid concern in my book.

In other words, you bought the DVD, you already physically pre-loaded your game files. Just wait until the game is out and then install it.

Also, the files on the game disc are not encrypted. Pre-loaded files are always encrypted. Unless you want Steam to encrypt them locally (which would be stupid, because then Steam would have the encryption keys, which would make the fact of them being encrypted useless in the first place), there's no way to recreate the preload files locally.
How am I "circumventing" the preload system by wanting to use a disc? I'm simply wanting to preload the files through another, faster means which I already have access to.

The first paragraph of your post almost reads as if you're accusing me of some sort of wrongdoing ("circumventing the system") because Tesco managed to get the game to me a day early. Plenty of online stores do this. It's not an issue.

I haven't "already preloaded" the game as I can only install it after it releases, making the preload system useless unless I want to download all of the files again while perfectly good versions of them are sat on a disc.

I've already said I could wait until the game was out and install it that way, and was simply surprised that the preload process could not copy all, or some, of the files from the disc. As I said earlier, it could always not copy certain files which must be downloaded after release - at least then I wouldn't have to download gigabytes of data in order to preload.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
PaulLFC said:
How am I "circumventing" the preload system by wanting to use a disc? I'm simply wanting to preload the files through another, faster means which I already have access to.

The first paragraph of your post almost reads as if you're accusing me of some sort of wrongdoing ("circumventing the system") because Tesco managed to get the game to me a day early. Plenty of online stores do this. It's not an issue.
Circumventing does not always mean doing something illegal. It means bypassing one step. "Circumventing the law" means going around the law, which is illegal. "Circumventing the lake", on the other hand, just means going around the lake.

PaulLFC said:
I haven't "already preloaded" the game as I can only install it after it releases, making the preload system useless unless I want to download all of the files again while perfectly good versions of them are sat on a disc.
But that's what preloading is for. To download the game before it's released so you don't compete with millions of people on the limited amount of servers. YOU don't have to do that. You already have the game files.

PaulLFC said:
I've already said I could wait until the game was out and install it that way, and was simply surprised that the preload process could not copy all, or some, of the files from the disc. As I said earlier, it could always not copy certain files which must be downloaded after release - at least then I wouldn't have to download gigabytes of data in order to preload.
Again, you don't need to download ANY FILES. It's the point of getting a Steam game on disc. You install it from the disc and then play it (if there are no day one patches, that is). Like I said earlier, the entire game is encrypted when you pre-load it (I'm sure some game out there was not entirely encrypted, but they usually are). There's no way to extrapolate that encrypted data from your non-encrypted files.

Let's see if I can explain this in a simpler way:

The only way Steam recognizes Saint's Row The Third Files today, before release in some regions, are the encrypted files. If you manually copy your DVD files to the SRIII folder on Steam, Steam will compare the files on disc with the files on the server for that game and it will be different, because the files on the server are encrypted. Steam cannot create those files, so it'll do the only thing it knows what to do when files locally are different from the files on the server: It'll download them.

Now, once they flip the switch and release the game, Steam gets the decryption key and uses that key to decrypt the files locally. Then both files (locally and on the server) change to their unencrypted versions. And then you can play the game.

If you take into consideration that a Steamworks games always has to be linked into Steam to work, one could argue that the files in the disc should've come encrypted. But decryption is a one time thing that occurs when the game releases: Having to decrypt a physical copy of Saints Row III months from now would be stupid and they would have to keep those servers running forever.

There's no way to do what you want to do, other than partial encryption of the files. Even in this scenario, you would still have to download some encrypted files. But aren't we discussing the issue of having to download files? You either download all the files (thus, pre-loading) or you download NO FILES (because you bought a physical thing). What's the advantage of buying a disc, installing half the files from that disc and then downloading the other half?

I guess I just don't understand why would you want to pre-load anything when you already have the files in your physical version. There's no advantage to pre-loading files from a disc. Hell, outside of "I want to play this game THE MINUTE AFTER IT RELEASES", there's no advantage to pre-loading AT ALL.
Pre-Loading was made with the sole purpose of helping people DOWNLOAD the game. You have a PHYSICAL version of the game files. You don't need to download anything, thus, you don't need to pre-load anything. The amount of time it'll take you to install the game once it's released will probably be around the same time it'll take me to decrypt the pre-loaded files.

And, on top of that, I don't see how this is a problem, as it prevents you from doing something that gives you no advantages in any possible scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom