• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrick01

Banned
Oblivion will be hard to play through again after Skyrim, even with the mods. I wouldn't recommend it if you're in the middle of Skyrim.

Chavelo

Derrick01 said:
Oblivion will be hard to play through again after Skyrim, even with the mods. I wouldn't recommend it if you're in the middle of Skyrim.

It shall be bought for the sacrifice... TO THE BACKLOG PIT WITH YOU!

1-D_FTW

NSQuote said:
What are the chances of Skyrim having a sale for the Scavenger Hunt? For the full blown Winter sale?

Game looks amazing, the wait is killing me. Don't want to have waited for nought.

I'd bet money it's included in the Winter sale, but at something like 25 percent off. Even 33 percent off is debatable.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Stallion Free said:
Hmm unlocking the framerate in Sideways seems to have no effect on the 30 fps lock in the level for me.

I assume you have v-sync disabled?

I don't know then. I totally felt a difference between 30 and 60.

Damn, I hope it wasn't a placebo.

Edit: Damn it, looks like it may have been. I turned on some FPS monitoring and it is pretty much solidly still 30fps. I'll need to do some more testing.

Iztli

I highly recommend this mod guys :p

Nehrim - At Fate's Edge

"Nehrim - At Fate's Edge" is a finished Total Conversion for the RPG The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and at the same time one of the biggest mods for this game at all. Total Conversion means it is a self-contained game that bases upon the Oblivion game engine, but has no relation to Oblivion's lore. It is a world in which neither Tamriel nor any other TES based name exists. The continent itself on which the game is situated is called Nehrim, it is completely independent from the base game.

Joe Molotov

morningbus said:
I assume you have v-sync disabled?

I don't know then. I totally felt a difference between 30 and 60.

Damn, I hope it wasn't a placebo.

Edit: Damn it, looks like it may have been. I turned on some FPS monitoring and it is pretty much solidly still 30fps. I'll need to do some more testing.

I thought there was a night and day difference?
16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

LOL Sideway NY is locked to 30 fps. Well there's one less game for me to buy.
*Reads top of page* Oh, you can unlock it? Too late, I already deleted the demo and don't feel like downloading it again.

upandaway

Welp, I'll get Oblivion then. Gonna be my first Steam purchase.

This Steam thing is pretty awesome. Till now I had to pay import on every game. It stings a little to not own the disc and package but it beats paying double the (usually launch) price.

Still haven't bought Skyrim... waiting till I get more time + the bugs calm down a little. And I admit I'm hoping for a sale somewhere.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Took a damn long time for a 75% off Oblivion sale. I was on the fence about the Deluxe Edition, but then noticed it included the horse armor, and knew I had to get it.

Smash88

Banned
Tenck said:
Bought Oblivion Deluxe Edition. Will try it out when I'm done with Skyrim though :D

Probably the worst thing you can do. Going back from a game that fixes a lot of issues and does everything better is going to sting, but if you can take it, by all means go right ahead.

Let's be honest here. Is there any reason whatsoever to buy Oblivion now that Skyrim is out?

Disclaimer: I don't have time to play too many video games, so I'm prioritizing which games are truly worth my time.

Lasthope106 said:
Let's be honest here. Is there any reason whatsoever to buy Oblivion now that Skyrim is out?

Disclaimer: I don't have time to play too many video games, so I'm prioritizing which games are truly worth my time.
Outside of the fact that there are some referrences in Skyrim to what happened in Oblivion, and the fact that it is a different area altogether I'd say no. Skyrim for me is better then Oblivion.

Echoplx

Lasthope106 said:

Oblivion is the worst in the 'modern' games of the series (Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim)

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Joe Molotov said:
I thought there was a night and day difference?
16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

All I can say is that the placebo effect can be pretty powerful. Also, I didn't do a proper test of it at the time. I had played through the demo in its entirety, then tried futzing with the config files. I must have gotten used to how the game felt at that point, so it definitely seemed better, especially for the few minutes I bothered to play again. I should have used an FPS counter then, but I was being sloppy.

I went back and tested it some more, with an FPS counter on, and there are some interesting things at play here. Possibly another thing that may have thrown me of initially, and it was absolutely one of the first things I noticed after changing the setting, is that unlocking the framerate actually let's the game's title screens and menu run at 60fps. Try it for yourself: switch it to 60 and just observe the title screen. It is much smoother.

Which is really weird. Setting the game to 60fps makes everything but the game itself run at 60fps.

Anyway, sorry for the confusion. I should have tested it much more rigorously.

upandaway

NBtoaster said:
Oblivion is still enjoyable (even unmodded). Don't believe the hate!
For you to say "even unmodded" really makes me want to mod the hell out of it.

Now I need to research stuff. No clue about the modding scene in general.

Eusis

NBtoaster said:
Oblivion is still enjoyable (even unmodded). Don't believe the hate!
I think a good chunk of my enjoyment came from the fact I didn't really get into Morrowind before then (only got the Xbox version, and FUCK THE SAVE LOADING), and that the 360 was young and in dire need of a great game. Going back after the Fallout games and especially Skyrim would probably be rough though, but it'd probably still be enjoyable before the repetition gets to you.

1-D_FTW

morningbus said:
All I can say is that the placebo effect can be pretty powerful. Also, I didn't do a proper test of it at the time. I had played through the demo in its entirety, then tried futzing with the config files. I must have gotten used to how the game felt at that point, so it definitely seemed better, especially for the few minutes I bothered to play again. I should have used an FPS counter then, but I was being sloppy.

I went back and tested it some more, with an FPS counter on, and there are some interesting things at play here. Possibly another thing that may have thrown me of initially, and it was absolutely one of the first things I noticed after changing the setting, is that unlocking the framerate actually let's the game's title screens and menu run at 60fps. Try it for yourself: switch it to 60 and just observe the title screen. It is much smoother.

Which is really weird. Setting the game to 60fps makes everything but the game itself run at 60fps.

Anyway, sorry for the confusion. I should have tested it much more rigorously.

Pfft. You better sleep with your door bolted tonight. I've reported you to the PC Police and they're coming for your PC ID card. Fair warning;)

Conceptor

Question: if you own a game on Steam, and try to register/enter a new CD key for the same game, what happens?

Edit: So I've been told it just eats the game up huh.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
upandaway said:

Obscuro's Oblivion Overhaul is the big on you need. It basically redoes the whole game to make it awesome.

He did such a good job on it Obsidian hired him and he worked on New Vegas.

upandaway said:

Check this thread.

Speaking of TES, I have Morrowind for a while (got it during Quakecon), but I'm not sure if I should go vanilla or mod it.

Joe Molotov

Conceptor said:
Question: if you own a game on Steam, and try to register/enter a new CD key for the same game, what happens?

I'm especially curious because there's no way that someone is offering me copy of Dead Island for a Bills and is actually serious about it.

It'll give you an error and say you already own it.

1-D_FTW

Sinatar said:
Obscuro's Oblivion Overhaul is the big on you need. It basically redoes the whole game to make it awesome.

He did such a good job on it Obsidian hired him and he worked on New Vegas.

The neogaf guide says it makes the game a lot more difficult though. I hooked up all the patches this weekend for my first playthrough (though I haven't made much progress and don't have a lot of time invested in my saves).

Is it more difficult? I don't know any D&D rules or any of that crud. Recently played FO3 and loved it. But that was for the exploration/main story and the fact I could just play without worrying I was going to create a character that would dead-end my progress. Would you still recommend it to someone not into D&D and has no desire to learn intricate rules?

I had 13 people playing Skyrim on my friend list earlier. Mental.

It's completely taken over my community page, too.

I need to finish Dark Souls so I can start it, although I don't want to rush DS because I don't think Skyrim will be as good. Not to mention I need to find time for Zelda next week too!

Ahhh.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Sinatar said:
So awesome that Skyrim doesn't make it pointless to bother with? I must know before the sale ends.

How does Oblivion hold up today?. The only Bethesda game I have played is Fallout 3 (which I really enjoyed) and Oblivion could be a good RPG to play after I finish Bloodlines.

Madrugador said:
How does Oblivion hold up today?. The only Bethesda game I have played is Fallout 3 (which I really enjoyed) and Oblivion could be a good RPG to play after I finish Bloodlines.

It is the lighting model that bother me the most. Also the leveling system that is absurd. I had a fun experience but I agree with all the critics. If I had to go back, I would look for mods that tweak the light and redo stop the enemies to level up with me

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Joe Molotov said:
It'll give you an error and say you already own it.

It'll eat the CD key, too - you won't be able to use it again. Unless, that's changed, but it did happen to a fellow SteamGAFer earlier in the year.

Sye d'Burns

Dice said:
So awesome that Skyrim doesn't make it pointless to bother with? I must know before the sale ends.

Unless you just have a distaste for going back later and playing a game's predecessor, Oblivion is completely worth that asking price. I'd pay the extra dollar something and go for the digital deluxe which contains all the extra DLC.

You may not play it now and, in truth, I'd advise against it while you're enjoying Skyrim but just like people enjoy going back and playing with Morrowind, there will always be something for you to do in Oblivion.

That's not to say that Oblivion is better than Morrowind. That would be preposterous.

Nelo Ice

Banned
NBtoaster said:
Get it anyway. Think of it as a $6.20 steam transfer and steam cloud fee.

Meh, still not worth it even with steam cloud especially when I'm probably not going to play it and most of the time I did spend playing it involved downloading mods to make the game better lol. That and I have skyrim.

nexen

So 12 of my steam friends are currently online playing a game.

10 of those people are playing Skyrim.

Yeah, I have sample bias and all but this game is really a monster.

Burekma

Hmmm... When I try to buy the Deluxe edition (which I already bought and own for a long time now according to my subscriptions record), steam allows me to buy it for myself, but I can't seem to buy the regular goty edition (the option is grayed out, as if I already own it).

Can someone with Oblivion GOTY deluxe on Steam check if they have the same "problem"?

I don't have the game installed so I can't check if I got all the additional DLC or not.

Firehead

Burekma said:
Hmmm... When I try to buy the Deluxe edition (which I already bought and own for a long time now according to my subscriptions record), steam allows me to buy it for myself, but I can't seem to buy the regular goty edition (the option is grayed out, as if I already own it).

Can someone with Oblivion GOTY deluxe on Steam check if they have the same "problem"?

I don't have the game installed so I can't check if I got all the additional DLC or not.

Yeah, that happens to me as well. Noticed it doing that during the Summer Sale as well.

Burekma said:
Probably got the deluxe then. Almost rebought it too, glad I checked right before finishing the transaction.
You can also click on your account button in the upper right corner and see what version you bought.

Burekma

Yeah that's where I looked. The store almost tricked me into believing I bought the standard version, but the OCD completionist in me just couldn't find that acceptable, so I checked at the last minute.

Aselith

Burekma said:
Yeah that's where I looked. The store almost tricked me into believing I bought the standard version, but the OCD completionist in me just couldn't find that acceptable, so I checked at the last minute.

The store will stop you when you go to pay and tell you you already own it. I almost rebought it because I only showed GOTY DLC in the DLC info panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom