• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just realized Saints Row: The Third Season Pass is not available in my region.

I'm not interested in it, but seriously, what's the point of banning DLC?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Madrugador said:
Just realized Saints Row:The Third Season Pass is not available in my region.

I'm not interested in it, but seriously, what's the point of banning DLC?
It could just be busted at the moment, all the DLC pages earlier in the day said they weren't available in my region.

Drkirby said:
It could just be busted at the moment, all the DLC pages earlier in the day said they weren't available in my region.

Well, that makes sense. For a moment I thought that THQ was being a douchebag.

PaulLFC

There are no results at all for Saints Row 3 in the UK Steam store. This GAME restriction bullshit better hadn't extend to DLC.

Blizzard

Banned
MustacheBandit_ said:
Unless you work for steam or origin then it only benefits you. Competition is a good thing for us consumers.
Wait until EA gets publisher agreements that delete all your games from Steam and forces you to rebuy them from Origin! We'll see who's laughing then! Vwee hee ho ho!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Temptation to get them is so strong, yet I will be playing Skyrim for the next couple years.

plc268

I'm so tempted to buy Saints Row The Third, but every THQ title I've ever bought off steam got massively discounted quickly.

I think I can wait. If I've already held off on skyrim, I can hold off for this too.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
plc268 said:
I think I can wait. If I've already held off on skyrim, I can hold off for this too.
Skyrim will empower you to hold off on all games indefinitely.

It will also ruin your life.

Joe Molotov

lordy88 said:
I just realized that we might be a week or two away from the Xmas sale.

Dayyyum.

No, it's still at least a month until the Christmas sale. We might get a Thanksgiving scavenger hunt sale soon, though.

plc268

lordy88 said:
I just realized that we might be a week or two away from the Xmas sale.

Dayyyum.

Nah. The holiday sale won't start for at least another month. Probably around 12/20 or so. Now, there might be a fairly large sale next week celebrating Thanksgiving/Black Friday, but it won't be as big as the holiday sale.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
The demo for Sideways New York is pretty good and there is a lot to love about the game. But something just felt.. off about the game and I think the framerate may be the cuplrit.

I think the game may be locked at 30fps.

Hmm.. Yep, looking through the ConfigCommon file for the demo:
[Game]
; locks the game to 30 fps
MaxFrameRate = 30
AppName = Sideway
EnableShadows = false

I'll test it with 60fps and report back.

morningbus

Oh my god. Night and day. Don't even play the demo for Sideway New York without unlocking the framerate.

Go to Steam > steamapps > common > sideway_demo > Win32 > ConfigCommon

Go to this portion:

[Game]
; locks the game to 30 fps
MaxFrameRate = 30
AppName = Sideway
EnableShadows = false

And change maxframerate from 30 to 60.

The game is super smooth now.

Edit: Actually, disregard this. Changing this option does not change the in-game FPS. Check later in the thread for an explanation. (Or here, as I noticed this has now been linked elsewhere)
All I can say is that the placebo effect can be pretty powerful. Also, I didn't do a proper test of it at the time. I had played through the demo in its entirety, then tried futzing with the config files. I must have gotten used to how the game felt at that point, so it definitely seemed better, especially for the few minutes I bothered to play again. I should have used an FPS counter then, but I was being sloppy.

I went back and tested it some more, with an FPS counter on, and there are some interesting things at play here. Possibly another thing that may have thrown me of initially, and it was absolutely one of the first things I noticed after changing the setting, is that unlocking the framerate actually let's the game's title screens and menu run at 60fps. Try it for yourself: switch it to 60 and just observe the title screen. It is much smoother.

Which is really weird. Setting the game to 60fps makes everything but the game itself run at 60fps.

Anyway, sorry for the confusion. I should have tested it much more rigorously.

denomes

morningbus said:
The demo for Sideways New York is pretty good and there is a lot to love about the game. But something just felt.. off about the game and I think the framerate may be the cuplrit.

I think the game may be locked at 30fps.

Hmm.. Yep, looking through the ConfigCommon file for the demo:

I'll test it with 60fps and report back.

I felt the same about the PS3 version. Kinda framey. Let us know how 60fps goes. I'll probably double dip during a sale.

EDIT: Thanks for the update. Great news.

morningbus

Chesskid1 said:
can someone help me..

confirm steamworks?

can i buy 2 copies, one for me and one for my BFF?

Yes, it is Steamworks. I'm not sure if you can buy 2 copies with the same account, but making a new one shouldn't be too difficult if you have to.

Also, for future reference, Green Man Gaming always lists if one of the games they have is Steamworks. Check out the Lara Croft page here and see: http://www.greenmangaming.com/games/action/lara-croft-and-the-guardian-of-light/

morningbus said:
Oh my god. Night and day. Don't even play the demo for Sideway New York without unlocking the framerate.

Go to Steam > steamapps > common > sideway_demo > Win32 > ConfigCommon

Go to this portion:

And change maxframerate from 30 to 60.

The game is super smooth now.

That's good to know. I was going to buy it any way but this has me even more anxious.

Mrbob

Throwing out a recommendation for Rochard now that it is out on Steam. It is a 2D side scrolling puzzle/action game. I bought it on PSN, finished it in about 6 hours and had a really good time. Some very interesting puzzles with the G Lifter ( Gravity Gun type item). Some areas have reverse polarity which is a nice switch up since you have to think a little differently. Last 1/4 of the game gets a bit action heavy heavy with less puzzling for my taste, but still well worth playing. One of my favorite digital games of the year.

Sober

The Deluxe has pretty much all the DLC released for Oblivion (including Horse Armour) while the regular GOTY is just Ob+SI+KotN which were its major 'expansions'. Don't seem to remember if they bundled Knights of the Nine with other DLC or if that was a retail thing or something though.

svegis

Madrugador said:
Edit: Didn't know the game had Steam Cloud support.

Quite a few Bethesda titles added Steam Cloud support for Quakecon 2011, they had a sale on Steam brandishing adaptions of the Steam features like Cloud.

svegis said:
Quite a few Bethesda titles added Steam Cloud support for Quakecon 2011, they had a sale on Steam brandishing adaptions of the Steam features like Cloud.

I knew that THQ updated some of their games during their last sale, but I never realized Bethesda did the same.

That's really awesome, I hope more developers make updates like this.

Chavelo

Roommate and I playing Skyrim while talking yesterday:

Me: "Wow, Elder Scrolls games are pretty awesome, should of followed your advice and picked up Oblivion a while back"
Her: "I know, right? Hopefully Steam will have the game on sale soon"
Me: "Knowing Valve, it'll prolly go for 5 bucks!"
Both: lol

Today:

reaction.jpg

Me: "Well, I'll be damned... HOPEFULLY VALVE ANNOUNCES SOMETHING ABOUT HALF-LIFE EPISODE 3 SOON... /cough"
*crickets*

Sianos

What are the chances of Skyrim having a sale for the Scavenger Hunt? For the full blown Winter sale?

Game looks amazing, the wait is killing me. Don't want to have waited for nought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom