• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOUR: Xbox One version of Call of Duty: Ghosts is 720p, PS4 version is 1080p?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey Jr.

This is not just about COD Ghosts.

This is about every COD going forward. Right out of the gate, the Xbox is getting the worse version of their flagship third party game.

This is not some unknown third party game. This is COD, a game that has consistently run better on the Xbox for the past 7 years. And out of the gate, the PS4 has the better resolution by a big amount?

If a developer making COD has problems with the Xbox, you know something fucked up is going on.

bluehat9

As long as the devs have the balls for it. Wasn't the PS3 more powerful? However of course this time the ease of development is pretty par for both (Edge saying it's easier on PS4 than XBone).

devs/pubs go where the money is. Ps3 was a year late, more expensive, and a headache to develop for compared to 360. Sony seems to have covered all that this time around, with a bigger power gap between the systems to boot.

Also, shocking that Kuchera is running damage control, just shocking.

Into

If the PS4 version is 1080p, then that rules out the idea that Microsoft is run like the Sopranos family, where they can make demands to third party publishers, who then have no choice but to follow them.

This was actually a common argument used after pre and after E3.

Personally i dont buy it at all, Sony was the king of the industry from 96-2005, and they still had far better looking Xbox and GameCube version of PS2 games. If a company with as successful and dominating console as a PSX or PS2 cannot make those kind of demands, then neither can a company with 80 million consoles out there, and a 499 potential bomb make to anyone.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
where are the power gap doubters now?

I remember people saying "identical" " just like 360 and PS3"

Now, that's evidence started to surface even before the consoles launch, and it's as big as 720p vs 1080p is some cases.

God have mercy on Xbone once devs started utilizing PS4 extra compute maximizing system bandwidth.

The gap should get smaller, actually. Think about PS3; as tools and developer knowledge improved they closed the gap with the much-more-easily-utilised 360. Or at least, the minimum should be raised. There's no hardware reason why COD shouldn't run at at least 900p (although 1080p is probably unlikely).

thuway

Just got off of hospital work, yeap - once again -

720p
720p

720p
720p
720p
720p
720p
720p
720p

Bgamer90

Banned
If the PS4 version is 1080p, then that rules out the idea that Microsoft is run like the Sopranos family, where they can make demands to third party publishers, who then have no choice but to follow them.

This was actually a common argument used after pre and after E3.

Personally i dont buy it at all, Sony was the king of the industry from 96-2005, and they still had far better looking Xbox and GameCube version of PS2 games. If a company with as successful and dominating console as a PSX or PS2 cannot make those kind of demands, then neither can a company with 80 million consoles out there, and a 499 potential bomb make to anyone.

Really good point.

This new and improved "humble" Sony will sit back and wait for it to play itself out. Outside of a few jabs here and there (the epic "game share" clip) Sony has just sat back and let everything play itself out, which is exactly how they should handle this as well. There is no need to speak up, it's already seen.

Although, I would lauch hard if the PS4 version of the game comes with this logo on it somewhere:
]
Humble? No. Confident? Yes.

Copenap

Nostradamus-GAF, here's what's going to happen.

MS PR is working on Activision to make a statement like: "Due to the unprecedented power of the Xbox One™ upscaler we don't need to bump the resolution above 720p."

newsguy

Not trying to be a troll but I literally just cancelled my Xbox One preorder. I loved reading the news of microsoft making changes in favor of the consumer and wanted more reasons to get two consoles at launch. However this thread for me was the straw that broke the camels back. I will wait for a decrease in price and enjoy my ps4 in the meantime.

Nothing wrong with that. I canceled mine as well. It wasn't due to this thread, I just couldn't justify spending all that money for both consoles at launch. After reading this thread I'm glad I chose the right one to cancel though. I want to play the stronger multiplats on the PS4 and when Titanfall comes out I'll pick up the Xbone to play their first party stuff.

ibd6doS5JIqNX2.png

RaikuHebi

Banned
I can totally see Microsoft pulling a quick one and still advertising 1080p on their boxes since it's "upscaled".
Of course they will, since that is what happened this gen. with both consoles.

However Sony could come out with TRUE 1080p or something, and surely Microsoft would be stuck then?

velociraptor

As long as the devs have the balls for it. Wasn't the PS3 more powerful? However of course this time the ease of development is pretty par for both (Edge saying it's easier on PS4 than XBone).

PS3 | RSX: 176 Gflops and Cell: 218 Gflops, Total 394 Gflops

360 | Xenos: 240 Gflops and CPU: 115 Gflops, Total 355 Glops

PS3 was a more powerful console but keep in mind these are theoretical numbers. It is much more difficult to tap in the power of the Cell.

IN&OUT

Banned
Yep, I think you'll find Sony are in the box seat for another PS2 style bloodbath, especially if they can achieve some sort of price cut within the first 3 years.

Having similar architecture design between consoles (industry first btw), gives you the opportunity to be able to predict performance differences accurately to some extent. I expect later next gen, developers will start using ALL PS4 resources 14cu graphics + 4cu compute. this will result in a seriously compromised Xbone version 8cu graphics+ 4cu Compute. this is almost a generational difference between the two, seriously.

Note: I didn't even factor any unified ram capabilities in this.

RaikuHebi

Banned
PS3 | RSX: 176 Gflops and Cell: 218 Gflops, Total 394 Gflops

360 | Xenos: 240 Gflops and CPU: 115 Gflops, Total 355 Glops

PS3 was a more powerful console but keep in mind these are theoretical numbers. It is much more difficult to tap in the power of the Cell.
Thanks for that, answers a previous post I had about last gen differences in power. Obviously the gap is much, much more significant this generation.

Now I just need a similar breakdown for PS2 VS Xbox VS GC? And while we're at it PS1 VS N64, and maybe throw in the Sega consoles in there haha.

Tsundere

Banned
lol, wow. More exposure isn't bad, but wow.

Banned
Went to bed at 11pm EST. I see Cboat came out and confirmed 720p. Now were almost double the pages of last night.

Don't ever change neogaf I love you to fucken much. Never thought I could love what is simply a bunch of 0's and 1's like I do GAF haha.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
The gap should get smaller, actually. Think about PS3; as tools and developer knowledge improved they closed the gap with the much-more-easily-utilised 360. Or at least, the minimum should be raised. There's no hardware reason why COD shouldn't run at at least 900p (although 1080p is probably unlikely).

Isn't that logic ignoring the fact that the PS4 games will improve too? I've seen this logic somewhere before!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I can totally see Microsoft pulling a quick one and still advertising 1080p on their boxes since it's "upscaled".

Sony and MS both did that a lot this gen. At this point it almost seems like MS wants to encouraged scaled 1080p instead of going for it natively.

Into

I dont know who or what a Tim Dog is but he is kinda awesome

SV1kU7P.jpg

I hope he steps away from the computer for a while

guessing NA media sites will get a hold of this at around 12pm est

BibiMaghoo

This is not just about COD Ghosts.

This is about every COD going forward. Right out of the gate, the Xbox is getting the worse version of their flagship third party game.

This is not some unknown third party game. This is COD, a game that has consistently run better on the Xbox for the past 7 years. And out of the gate, the PS4 has the better resolution by a big amount?

If a developer making COD has problems with the Xbox, you know something fucked up is going on.

COD has never been a flagship third party title. Gears? Sure. Fable? for a time. COD has always been THE big third party game, but I have never met a single person that actually thinks it has anything to do with Xbox as a title. Perhaps this is an american thing. In the UK, COD is COD, no matter the platform. It is not heavily associated with the Xbox brand in general.

I point this out because what it means is that people do not give a fuck what system the game is on. If they want COD to play with mates, they will buy the system they have, and play the game with them, regardless of if it's 1080p, or 480p.

We care, because it's relevant to our hobby. Most do not at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom