• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Spring TV shows will you be watching? - 2014 Edition -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
About a Boy was better than I expected, but I don't remember much six months later.

Growing Up Fisher was excellent, the closest thing to capturing the earned sentimentality of The Wonder Years since. Really really excited for the series as a whole. I think if you like the more recent episodes of the Goldbergs because you find the family chemistry really endearing, you'll like this much more. It's less HA HA funny and more quiet. Highly recommend.

ivysaur12

Banned
I vote Stump to make the Growing Up Fisher OP.

-- About a Boy is very, very good.
-- Growing Up Fisher is great.
-- Believe is bland and derivative and has so many behind the scene problems that it's not worth watching. Also, for a Cuaron-directed pilot, it's really not that impressive looking.
-- Crisis is whatever.

-- The Night Shift isn't awful, but it's not great.
-- Undateable is funnier than you'd expect. A fun hangout comedy and a little edgier than the CBS multi fare.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

Bones - Fox - 8/7c

Last Man Standing - ABC - 8/7c

Undercover Boss - CBS - 8/7c

The Neighbors - ABC - 8:30/7:30c

Hawaii Five-0 - CBS - 9/8c

Live from Lincoln Center - PBS - 9/8c

Shark Tank - ABC - 9/8c

Raising Hope - Fox - 9/8c

Enlisted - Fox - 9:30/8:30c

Blue Bloods - CBS - 10/9c

Banshee - Cinemax - 10/9c

Helix - SyFy - 10/9c

Reviews:

Mo Ryan - 'Enlisted' Review: Fab New Comedy Kicks Off The New Year Right

All in all, the terrific Enlisted is one of the most pleasing network comedies to come along in quite some time.

Variety - TV Review: 'Enlisted'

It’s harmless enough given how broadly most of it’s played (think the Three Stooges in basic training) but nothing here is particularly distinctive.

NY Daily News - ‘Enlisted,’ TV review

The whole show just feels cartoonish and, well, silly.

Tim Goodman - Helix: TV Review

The first two hours go at a brisk, thrilling pace that allows for character development as well. A lot happens and there's a desire for more.

LA Times - Review: Suspenseful 'Helix' is bound up in killer viruses

If it doesn't match "Battlestar" for ambition or poetry or sparkling dialogue--to judge by the three hours available for review--it's well-made, solidly scary and disturbing all the same.

Post Gazette - 'Helix'

Perhaps in time Helix will develop into something more substantial but in its first two hours it sets up a lot of questions without providing answers or a compelling reason for viewers to stick with it.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Bates Motel returns on March 3rd.

Returning:
- Almost Human
- The Americans
- Archer
- Bates Motel
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine
- The Colbert Report
- Community
- The Daily Show
- Game of Thrones
- Girls
- Hannibal
- House of Cards
- Justified
- Parks and Recreation
- Rectify (if I catch up)
- Sherlock
- Veep

New:
- Helix
- The Red Road
- Silicon Valley
- Space Dandy
- True Detective
- Turn

beat

I don't want to mindlessly bash M. Night Shyamalan, but:
On doing TV for the first time: "Everyone's been telling me that I'd like the way the medium is going, how it's character-based and darker in tone," he says.
That really reads like "I don't watch TV, but people tell me it's good now." Come on, no one has been too busy to watch TV for the last dozen-plus years.

maeh2k

I just realized that Chicago P.D. is a spin-off of Chicago Fire. I don't get it. Why would they do that? Don't they usually just make spin-offs of successful shows?

Guess I'll check it out.

- 'Better Call Saul,' 'Mad Men' Get Premiere Dates; 'Talking Dead' Renewed
Better Call Saul, which focuses on the evolution of Bob Odenkirk's Saul Goodman before he became Walter White's attorney, will debut in November. (A specific date has not yet been determined.)

The first half of Mad Men's final season will bow Sunday, April 13 at 10 p.m., one week after the series debut of Revolutionary War drama Turn, which will get a 90-minute premiere starting at 9 p.m. on April 6.

Fellow freshman series Halt and Catch Fire, which centers on the personal computing era in the early 1980s, will launch in the summer at a specific date to be determined later. Western Hell on Wheels will also return later in the summer.

On the unscripted side, Game of Arms will premiere Tuesday, Feb. 25 at 10 p.m. followed by the May returns of Small Town Security and Freakshow.

I just realized that Chicago P.D. is a spin-off of Chicago Fire. I don't get it. Why would they do that? Don't they usually just make spin-offs of successful shows?

Guess I'll check it out.
Chicago fire is a great show. I think it's one of nbc highest rated.

Halt and Catch Fire is probably the new AMC show I'm looking forward to most (name doesn't exactly roll off the tongue though).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Chicago PD was a better show than I expected. Jason Beghe plays a COP THAT WON'T PLAY BY THE RULES, which I think is a pretty generic trope. He's no Vic Mackey, but I think it's a pretty good casting match. I found the show maybe a little too self-consciously gritty in terms of the comically OTT gore, the premise of the pilot episode, and right down to the occasionally Gonzo camera pans... and the cliffhanger ending, which involves a Supervillain kidnapping a main character's kid!!!!! was pretty stupid. But as far as a totally generic cop show goes, I felt like mostly it was decently written and acted and showed more promise than most of the procedural cop stuff I've seen in the last few years.

The Assets was an unusual pilot. It felt very old. Not, like, a period piece--although it obviously is a period piece. But the kinds of actors, the writing, the really slow pacing, and the intense focus on wonky details of spying rather than character or thematic work made it feel like a film or miniseries from the 70s. The colour grading is pretty overwhelming. It's weird that the main character is clearly supposed to be the CIA agent that's selling out info to the Russians, but the pilot focused pretty near exclusively on one of his female coworkers. I'm not surprised no one watched this on a broadcast network, this had obscure cable network written all over it. It felt like a period Rubicon to me almost, actually. Or, like, All The President's Men... I dunno.

The second half of The 7.39 is definitely weaker, as the payoff is less interesting than the build-up. Some of the scenes get a little cliche, with one of the two affair-havers trying to spin the affair into a life together and the other not. A notable high point in the second half is Olivia Colman's performance as the wife of the male lead. She loses her shit at him in an entirely honest and realistic way. The closing tag to the show flash-forwards 2 years later, which disappointed me because the resolution ends up being a little convenient. As a whole I liked the work though, I think it'd be a pretty decent film if it were shown in cinema, I reckon. Nitpick alert: You can't show two people having a graphic affair in a hotel room due to intense emotional and sexual attraction and do the stupid bedsheets-covering-the-bodies as they roll around thing.

TheOddOne

I vote Stump to make the Growing Up Fisher OP.

-- About a Boy is very, very good.
-- Growing Up Fisher is great.
-- Believe is bland and derivative and has so many behind the scene problems that it's not worth watching. Also, for a Cuaron-directed pilot, it's really not that impressive looking.
Damn, was really looking forward to it.

Seriously? How? It's a decent show, but to me it always seemed like this year's Trauma and I didn't expect the show to last.
All I know is it's doing better than last season. It goes up against Person of Interest and I think this week they tied or chicago was a tenth of a point behind 1st for that time slot.

I personally like the characters and the story line. I get emotionally involved with these people. Maybe it's just me but there were at least 3 episodes where I got teary eyed.

Clevinger

WHY IS THERE NOT OT UP FOR IT. JEEZ GUYS.

I've been working on one the past few days. I made some really nice pics for the OP and had a huge word doc with tons of info about the show and the characters and actors and production.

Then my harddrive crashed. Sorry, guys.

TheOddOne

I've been working on one the past few days. I made some really nice pics for the OP and had a huge word doc with tons of info about the show and the characters and actors and production.

Then my harddrive crashed. Sorry, guys.
See kids, google drive is yo friend.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Hitfix: Sundance loosely sets 'Returned,' 'Rectify' returns

Rectify: S2 won't arrive until the summer.

The Writer's Room is returning for a second season in the spring.

And waaaay down the line, they announced they officially acquired the next season of The Returned, and maybe just maybe that will arrive before the end of the year. I believe it's scheduled for November in France.

All I know is it's doing better than last season. It goes up against Person of Interest and I think this week they tied or chicago was a tenth of a point behind 1st for that time slot.

I personally like the characters and the story line. I get emotionally involved with these people. Maybe it's just me but there were at least 3 episodes where I got teary eyed.
Agreed. Chicago Fire is very good and has strong characters. I'm a little surprised they spun off a new series so quickly, but if PD can match Fire's character work they should be on solid ground.

ivysaur12

Banned
Hitfix: Sundance loosely sets 'Returned,' 'Rectify' returns

Rectify: S2 won't arrive until the summer.

The Writer's Room is returning for a second season in the spring.

And waaaay down the line, they announced they officially acquired the next season of The Returned, and maybe just maybe that will arrive before the end of the year. I believe it's scheduled for November in France.

Rectify needs to be back now. And yay, The Writer's Room!

TheOddOne

My OT making slate for the rest january are for the shows Klondike (Jan. 20) and Black Sails (Jan. 25). Both OT's should be up before their respective air dates.

My OT making slate for the rest january are for the shows Klondike (Jan. 20) and Black Sails (Jan. 25). Both OT's should be up before their respective air dates.

Will the Klondike OT be an actual OT for the show or just a post about Richard Madden swoon?

-----------------

Glad to hear The Writer's Room is coming back, I enjoyed the first season.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

True Detective - HBO 9/8c

Shameless - Showtime - 9/8c

House of Lies - Showtime - 10/9c

Girls - HBO - 10/9c

Episodes - Showtime - 10:30/9:30c

Reviews:

Variety - TV Review: ‘True Detective’

Rich and absorbing, this eight-part drama quickly vaults into elite company, offering a singular voice that’s unlike almost anything else on TV.

NY Times - A Coupling as Bizarre as the Murder McConaughey and Harrelson Star in ‘True Detective,’ on HBO

The flashback structure, which could have been cumbersome and distracting, is impressively seamless. But, despite these positives, things start to go off track as early as the second episode.... [Director Cary Joji Fukunaga] doesn’t show much ability here to animate Mr. Pizzolatto’s dialogue-heavy encounters.... There are some nice moments in the later episodes, and they’re the ones with the fewest words.

AV Club - True Detective avoids pulp in favor of philosophy

True Detective might be finding itself in the first half of its first season, but few processes of discovery are so enthralling to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom