• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Spring TV shows will you be watching? - 2014 Edition -

Status
Not open for further replies.
So much stuff to watch tonight. I'll be checking out Shameless, House of Lies, Episodes, True Detective and hate-watching the shit out of Girls.

ivysaur12

Banned
Do any of the new Fox shows look worthwhile? I'm not seeing anything there that I might watch.
I'm on a conference call. *shakes fist*

Gang Related has had a ton of problems, I guess, but the pilot is really solid. Most of the problems seem to stem from a lack of experience in TV versus film. Surviving Jack is fun.

Wubby

I clicked on this thread fully expecting to just list these two:

-House of Cards
-Game of Thrones

Then I looked through that OP and discovered some others I must see now:

-Klondike
-Black Sails
-BBC WWI stuff

Maybes:

-Fleming
-The Musketeers
-Turn

I'm going to miss Southland. :-(

Gang Related has had a ton of problems, I guess, but the pilot is really solid. Most of the problems seem to stem from a lack of experience in TV versus film. Surviving Jack is fun.
Thanks, I'll take a look at those and see if I have time to squeeze them in.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
It's not typical TV-GAF stuff, but PBS is airing the lengthy Frederick Wiseman documentary "At Berkeley" starting tonight if anyone's interested. I'll probably DVR it and get to it at some point.

Here's a set of reviews and some discussion over on PBS' website.

Thanks for this, I was not aware. I've liked what I've seen (High School and Titicut Folies) but his work isn't well distributed and not necessarily the easiest to consume in a darkened theater.

What's with Monday night going HAM all of a sudden? My slate:

Adventure Time
Regular Show
Stephen Universe
Almost Human
Sleepy Hollow
Archer
Chozen
Don't Trust Andrew Mayne (x2)
Rick & Morty
@Midnight

I HAVE OTHER OBLIGATIONS AND HOBBIES, TV.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

Uncle - BBC Three - 10:00

American Ninja Warrior - NBC - 8/7c

Lost Girl - SyFy - 8/7c

Switched at Birth - ABC Family - 8/7c

Hart of Dixie - The CW - 8/7c

How I Met Your Mother - CBS - 8/7c

2 Broke Girls - CBS - 8:30/7:30c

Mike & Molly - CBS - 9/8c

Sleepy Hollow - Fox - 9/8c

The Fosters - ABC Family - 9/8c

Being Human - SyFy - 9/8c

Beauty and the Beast - The CW - 9/8c

Mom - CBS - 9:30/8:30c

The Blacklist - NBC - 10/9c

Bitten - SyFy - 10/9c

Independent Lens: At Berkeley - PBS - 10/9c

Don't Trust Andrew Mayne - A&E - 10/9c

Duck Quacks Don't Echo - NatGeo - 10/9c

Archer - FX - 10/9c

Chozen - FX - 10:30/9:30c

Reviews:

Philly Inquirer - 'Bitten' on Syfy: This werewolf's all woman

Though it lacks the production value or special-effects budget of the Twilight movies, Bitten has a smooth, slick look and boasts solid performances.

NY Daily News - 'Bitten': TV review

Bitten seems aimed more at a mainstream audience than the hard-core werewolf/vampire crowd, which is okay. Probably smart, in fact.

AV Club - Bitten

The presentation of mythology and backstory, such an important aspect of a show like Bitten, is handled in a laughably inelegant way.

NY Times - Chozen

An oddball, sometimes clever and sometimes eyebrow-raising new animated comedy series.

AV Club - Chozen is the new gay show for straight people

Despite a handful of cutting moments, Chozen isn’t very funny in its first five episodes--though as the man says, it gets better. Part of that is the inundation. If everything is outrageous, it doesn’t take long to adjust until nothing is.

Washington Post - Chozen

Archer crosses just about any line you care to draw concerning sex, drugs and violent imagery. But where “Archer” sort of stylishly crosses it, Chozen clumsily trips and falls.

HitFix said:
"Louie" is coming back in May, as we know. FX has the limited series "Fargo," the drama series "Tyrant" and "The Strain" coming in April, June and July respectively.
So for FX that's:
Fargo in April
Louie in May
Tyrant in June
The Strain in July

Damn man. And to think there was talk that FX wouldn't have the content to justify the channel split. They're being really aggressive in building up a roster of shows. Which, quite frankly, is awesome.

Linius

Damn, with Justified, The Bridge, The Americans and Archer FX already had a solid line up for me. Looks like I'll be checking out The Strain and Fargo too. FX be good for us.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
True Detective is a wonderful slow-boiler. I love the incredibly dour mood and sickly colour grading throughout most of the episode. Matthew McConaughey's character is layered from the very start and refreshing, and the writers and directors get great mileage out of Harrelson's deadpan reactions. The small town is suitably trashy (like someone's fading dream), the crime is suitably morbid, the flash-forward framing device keeps you hooked. Probably the best mood and ambiance I've seen in a cop show in a long time, maybe since The Shield.

Helix was surprisingly less stupid than I thought it would be. There is some awkward and ghastly CGI, but the show generally has a good visual imagination. Periodic "why would he do that?" reactions typical of horror shlock don't undermine the palpable tension. Characters don't have much to work with (besides the blonde woman who gets played a little as comic relief), so I treat them as all pretty interchangable and won't care when they get infected one by one, but the setting and story seem fine to me. I'll definitely watch until the end of the first season or until it gets pulled.

My third try to watch Mob City has failed out of boredom.

Presumably The Bridge returns sometime late summer as well.

Too much TV!

I wonder where they'll put The Bridge when it comes back. Presumably Tyrant will get replaced with Sons of Anarchy and The Strain will get replaced with American Horror Story as we head into the fall. It doesn't seem like they have an easy slot for it to go into.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

Broen/Bron/The Bridge - Hulu

Death in Paradise - BBC One - 9:00

The Originals - The CW - 8/7c

Face Off - SyFy - 9/8c

NCIS: LA - CBS - 9/8c

Supernatural - The CW - 9/8c

Ravenswood - ABC Family - 9/8c

Friday Night Tykes - Esquire - 9/8c

Kroll Show - Comedy Central - 10:30/9:30c

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Isn't FXM mostly for their purcheased movies? I think there was some talk of putting miniseries there, but with Fargo set for FX it seems not.

Yeah, it was, but they also announced that they were going to develop miniseries and other pieces of original content for the channel, neither of which has happened yet. (I'm sure it will though, eventually)

ABC Family pisses me off. So now I cant stream past episodes since you dont have deal with my content provider? Go fuck yourself Dianey. This and Watchespn piss me off.

TheOddOne

Under The Dome return on June 30th.
CBS ANNOUNCES PREMIERE DATES FOR SUMMER SERIES
"UNDER THE DOME" AND "EXTANT"

"Under the Dome" Returns Monday, June 30, 10:00 PM,
With the Premiere Episode Written by Stephen King

"Extant," Starring Academy Award Winner Halle Berry,
Premieres Wednesday, July 2, 9:00 PM

CBS today announced premiere dates for its two scripted summer event series—UNDER THE DOME and EXTANT, both produced by Steven Spielberg's Amblin Television.

UNDER THE DOME returns for its sophomore season on Monday, June 30 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT). The premiere episode will be written by Stephen King, whose bestselling novel the series is based on. UNDER THE DOME was last summer's #1 program, averaging 15.06 million viewers and 3.9/11 in adults 18-49, ranking as the most-watched scripted summer series in 21 years.

UNDER THE DOME tells the story of a small town that is suddenly and inexplicably sealed off from the rest of the world by an enormous transparent dome. The town's inhabitants must deal with surviving the post-apocalyptic conditions while searching for answers to what this barrier is, where it came from, and if and when it will go away.

EXTANT, starring Academy Award winner Halle Berry, premieres Wednesday, July 2 (9:00-10:00 PM, ET/PT).

EXTANT is a mystery thriller about a female astronaut trying to reconnect with her family when she returns after a year in outer space. Her experiences lead to events that ultimately will change the course of human history.

UNDER THE DOME is produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Amblin Television. Steven Spielberg, Stephen King, Neal Baer, Justin Falvey, Darryl Frank, Stacey Snider, Jack Bender and Brian K. Vaughan are executive producers.

EXTANT is a co-production of CBS Television Studios and Amblin Television. Steven Spielberg, Greg Walker, Mickey Fisher, who wrote the script, Brooklyn Weaver, Justin Falvey and Darryl Frank will serve as executive producers. Halle Berry will serve as co-executive producer. The series will be distributed domestically by CBS Television Distribution and worldwide by CBS Studios International.
Also Halle Berry series.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

Mother Up! - Hulu

The Kumars - Sky1 HD

American Idol - Fox - 8/7c

Arrow - The CW - 8/7c

Melissa & Joey - ABC Family - 8/7c

Baby Daddy - ABC Family - 8:30/7:30c

Suburgatory - ABC - 8:30/7:30c

The Tomorrow People - The CW - 9/8c

Criminal Minds - CBS - 9/8c

CSI: Crime Scene Investigation - CBS - 10/9c

Nashville - ABC - 10/9c

Men at Work - TBS - 10/9c

Jim Rome on Showtime - Showtime - 10/9c

Duck Dynasty - A&E - 10/9c

Ain't That America with Lil Duval - MTV2 - 11/10c

Charlamagne & Friends - MTV2 - 11:30:10:30c

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

Hidden Kingdoms - BBC One

American Idol - Fox - 8/7c

Under the Gunn - Lifetime - 9/8c

Here Comes Honey Boo Boo - TLC - 9/8c

Party Down South - CMT - 10/9c

Jerks with Cameras - MTV - 10:30/9:30c

Rob Dyrdek's Fantasy Factory - MTV - 11/10c

Ali G: Rezurection is just a repackaged version of the existing Ali G material with new intros, correct? No new Ali G segments?

... I'll still probably watch.

Legit was a pleasant surprise, can't wait for Season 2.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

Flowers in the Attic - Lifetime - 8/7c

Mom's Got Game - OWN - 10/9c

Hitrecord on TV! - Pivot - 10/9c

The Moaning of Life - Science - 10/9c

Reviews:

Chicago Sun Times - Flowers in the Attic

This tale of a twisted family’s misguided quest for love and money is still creepy and atmospheric enough to make for pulpy television fun.

Variety - TV Review: ‘Flowers in the Attic’

Chow’s flat direction does little to elevate the action beyond the level of staged reading. It’s hard to fault the actors, although Graham seems unfortunately miscast in a role that requires a degree of coldblooded cunning she’s simply too sweet to pull off. Shipka radiates natural intelligence and poise.

Washington Post - Flowers in the Attic

Even allowing for the lowbrow standards that can paradoxically turn a Lifetime movie into a delectable piece of trash, this Flowers in the Attic is a remarkably weak effort.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

Sherlock - PBS - 10/9c

Rich Kids of Beverly Hills - E! - 10/9c

The Following - Fox - After football. so 10 ET - 7 PT

Looking - HBO - 10:30/9:30c

Reviews:

Looking reaches beyond simply being “the gay Girls”

For the most part, Lannan and Haigh have crafted something that’s bittersweet and funny and surprisingly quiet, willing to simply let the characters hang out and try to figure out what the rest of their lives are going to be like.

Vulture - Seitz: The No-Fuss Radicalism of HBO’s Looking

There's nothing formally or dramatically groundbreaking about it, except for its "no big deal" attitude. But that in itself is striking. It should be counted as progress. That Looking doesn't seem to be terribly concerned with words like progress should count as progress, too.

TV Review: HBO’s ‘Looking’

Unlike “Girls,” it feels less self-conscious about being provocative, with the situations flowing organically out of the characters. It is also, happily, occasionally pretty funny.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

Hollywood Game Night - NBC - 8/7c

Klondike - Discovery - 9/8c

Reviews:

Tim Goodman - Klondike: TV Review

Over the course of six hours it delivers bold, cinematic on-location action, announces itself with sweeping, dramatic dialogue (admittedly, not for everyone) and scatters excellent acting across the small screen.

LA Times - Klondike

There are many fine moments in 'Klondike,' cinematic scenes of grandeur and dialogue that rise to poetry. But too often both then fall prey to self-conscious staginess, many repetitive scenes of dirt and endless conversations about the animal nature of man.

USA Today - Klondike - TV Review

There isn't much new in this northern Western, but the scenery is lovely, the acting is solid, and the mix of characters is just what you'd expect from the genre.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

American Masters: Salinger - PBS - 9/8c

Hollywood Hillbillies - Reelz - 9/8c

Horseplayers - Esquire - 10/9c

Teen Mom 2 - MTV - 10/9c

Opposite Worlds - Syfy - 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom