• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homeland Season 2 |OT| It Hits Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fry

ibtAkSPudgLJyk.png

President Obama's favorite TV show is back!

HOMELAND
Season Premiere: Sun, Sept 30 at 10 PM ET/PT (Showtime)

General information: IMDb | Showtime | TV.com | Wikipedia | Wiki | SpoilerTV
Episode guide

About the show:

Based on the Israeli version of "Prisoners of War." A U.S. soldier who was thought to have been killed in Iraq over 8 years ago who is now being questioned as to whether he is a member of a sleeper cell sent to cause a terrorist attack. Claire Danes stars in this Showtime pilot as a CIA agent with bipolar disorder who comes to suspect that an Afghanistan war hero who has returned home after years as a POW might be part of a terrorist plot. Expect a psychological thriller with a strong focus on character development.

ibnU5pbxkdruAf.png

S1

1.01 Pilot
1.02 Grace
1.03 Clean Skin
1.04 Semper I
1.05 Blind Spot
1.06 The Good Soldier
1.07 The Weekend
1.08 Achilles Heel
1.09 Crossfire
1.10 Representative Brody
1.11 The Vest
1.12 Marine One

(Now available on DVD and Bluray)

S2

2.01 The Smile
2.02 Beirut is Back
2.03 State of Independence
2.04 New Car Smell
2.05 Q&A
2.06 A Gettysburg Address
2.07 The Clearing
2.08 I'll Fly Away
2.09 Two Hats --
2.10 Broken Hearts
2.11 In Memoriam
2.12 The Choice

i2O7Oc3ORTK8i.png

• Claire Danes as Carrie Mathison
  • Damian Lewis as Nicholas Brody
  • Morena Baccarin as Jessica Brody
  • David Harewood as David Estes
  • Diego Klattenhoff as Mike Faber
  • Jamey Sheridan as William Walden
  • David Marciano as Virgil
  • Navid Negahban as Abu Nazir
  • Jackson Pace as Chris Brody
  • Morgan Saylor as Dana Brody
  • Mandy Patinkin as Saul Berenson
  • Zuleikha Robinson as Roya Hammad
  • Rupert Friend as Peter Quinn
  • Maury Sterling as Max

iqCn2hPI7Du2b.png

• Posters

iOmyp57pJx1O4.jpg
ibqXip1pLt1Jau.jpg

ilS4JIuniLCkQ.jpg
ihHF40hX8ZmpP.jpg
ibk4pfwdU9Jvt5.jpg
iq9uMlULallns.jpg

iZHC1S9BVUqL6.gif
ie084UGJZIvqg.gif
ivs9nil4T7uq6.gif
iQIHuBYZkaL0E.gif
ib0IQv1eUAXxCj.gif
ipqQmf7zAO9YV.gif
homeland_cry0nuq7.gif
ibquxSmE642pbW.gif
3iZQd.gif
yuS9z.gif

Homeland WON 6 Emmy's out of 9!

jtb

Banned
great work on the OT!

Loved S1 so much; easily my favorite show of last year though they're really tiptoeing through a minefield with all the fallout from last season and the numerous ways they could easily fuck this up big time. So far, they've handled it almost perfectly, so I am really hyped for the new season. Hope Danes (at least) takes home the Emmy.

now the waiting is killing me. watching the 20 min preview is so tempting....

Raxus

You might as well say it won an Emmy for Best Actress because it is pretty much a lock at this point.

Recon

Banned
Way too much Claire in the OP. Also, after that cop out finale, I hope it can reach the same highs as last season...

Way too much Claire in the OP. Also, after that cop out finale, I hope it can reach the same highs as last season...

Seriously. That finale basically made me very cautious in getting my hopes up ever again for this show because it says that they consider Lewis one of the permanent stars of the show.

Were this an HBO show, there wouldn't have been any fucking around and we would be on to another terrorist/fallout from the last attack this season.

Recon

Banned
Seriously. That finale basically made me very cautious in getting my hopes up ever again for this show because it says that they consider Lewis one of the permanent stars of the show.

Were this an HBO show, there wouldn't have been any fucking around and we would be on to another terrorist/fallout from the last attack this season.

Glad we finally can agree on something! lol. But yeah, if this was on HBO Lewis would only be appearing in flashbacks from now on. But, Showtime really knows how to milk the fuck out of their series.

Dany

Banned

Boardwalk emmpire
says hi...

I think show time can do it.

TripOpt55

I haven't seen anything on the new season (on purpose), but I am curious if it could match the first season which I liked a lot. I was a little lukewarm on how things ended. Looking forward to the new season though. Good OT.

big ander

I don't know that "were this an HBO show" should be said anymore when it comes to dramas. Comedies outnumber dramas on the net now, and their dramas are Treme, Game of Thrones, Boardwalk, Newsroom, and True Blood. They're not exactly the sole standard for television bravery anymore. this isn't to say those aren't good shows, I hear Boardwalk's pretty good and I know GoT is fun and I want to see Treme. But "hbo show" as a term has lost a little of its cache as AMC and Showtime have built up their drama slate. So I don't think Homeland being on HBO would have necessarily killed Brody. In fact, I liked the Brody part of the finale. Because he went through with it. He pressed the button. It was real for him, until it wasn't. And now he's going to act in more subversive ways. I'm excited to see that.

Still, I am a little colder on the show than I was middle of the first season. Then I thought it was top tier on TV, now I realize it's lower than that while being better than most other shows. The second season could really flesh out the show.

I don't know that "were this an HBO show" should be said anymore when it comes to dramas. Comedies outnumber dramas on the net now, and their dramas are Treme, Game of Thrones, Boardwalk, Newsroom, and True Blood. They're not exactly the sole standard for television bravery anymore. this isn't to say those aren't good shows, I hear Boardwalk's pretty good and I know GoT is fun and I want to see Treme. But "hbo show" as a term has lost a little of its cache as AMC and Showtime have built up their drama slate. So I don't think Homeland being on HBO would have necessarily killed Brody. In fact, I liked the Brody part of the finale. Because he went through with it. He pressed the button. It was real for him, until it wasn't. And now he's going to act in more subversive ways. I'm excited to see that.

Still, I am a little colder on the show than I was middle of the first season. Then I thought it was top tier on TV, now I realize it's lower than that while being better than most other shows. The second season could really flesh out the show.

You have to watch Boardwalk Empire. Its balls are as big as any HBO show has ever been. David Chase <8

I still have no problem proclaiming Boardwalk as the best show still on television.

Recon

Banned
I havnt seen Boardwalk Empire Season 2 yet, need to get on that. But yeah, Showtime has kept Weeds and Dexter on for far too long. Not killing Lewis just feels like another business decision, even if it didnt come from the Network. They are known for this shit.

jtb

Banned

Why is this necessarily a bad thing? I have enough faith in the writers to think that they know what they're doing (maybe they'll betray that faith, we'll see). It's certainly better than killing off big stars at random like 24 did in its heyday: sure you get the huge buzz from the shock, but, more than anything, the thing that crippled 24 post-Season 5 was that all the good characters (and, moreso, the relationships they had with Jack and each other) were gone.

I care more about the relationships of these characters than I do whether or not they will live from episode to episode. And when you've got a character like Brody (I thought Lewis was fantastic), then why not? It's just been one season; there's still plenty of time for him to die.

Why is this necessarily a bad thing? I have enough faith in the writers to think that they know what they're doing (maybe they'll betray that faith, we'll see). It's certainly better than killing off big stars at random like 24 did in its heyday: sure you get the huge buzz from the shock, but, more than anything, the thing that crippled 24 post-Season 5 was that all the good characters (and, moreso, the relationships they had with Jack and each other) were gone.

I care more about the relationships of these characters than I do whether or not they will live from episode to episode. And when you've got a character like Brody (I thought Lewis was fantastic), then why not? It's just been one season; there's still plenty of time for him to die.

Because it doesn't feel honest. It feels like a disservice to the story and the show pulling its punches solely for network reasons. Had Brody blown the bomb like he intended to and would have, the fallout would have been massive. Carrie would have been right after being disbarred and abandoned by everybody she trusted - Saul included.

Carrie is the only character necessary to drive the series. Lewis was great, but keeping him around feels very cheap, very cowardly and lazy. Allah forbid they don't get to rely on the same IS SHE CRAZY/IS SHE RELIABLE conceits regarding her and Brody all over again.

They could have paved a way for a different narrative route through the second season, but were ball-less.

Recon

Banned

It is because the whole season was building up to that one moment. And at the very last second, they didnt do it. And it wasnt in some clever way either, just a malfunction. I would of been fine with him living if it was written better. In the moment, that scene was wonderfully acted, very tense. But afterwards, it was, at least to me, a very poor cop out.

jtb

Banned
Because it doesn't feel honest. It feels like a disservice to the story and the show pulling its punches solely for network reasons. Had Brody blown the bomb like he intended to and would have, the fallout would have been massive. Carrie would have been right after being disbarred and abandoned by everybody she trusted - Saul included.

Carrie is the only character necessary to drive the series. Lewis was great, but keeping him around feels very cheap, very cowardly and lazy. Allah forbid they don't get to rely on the same IS SHE CRAZY/IS SHE RELIABLE conceits regarding her and Brody all over again.

They could have paved a way for a different narrative route through the second season, but were ball-less.

I see your point. I guess I never expected him to blow the bomb in the first place (the piss-poor justification with Issa and all that didn't help), so I didn't feel particularly betrayed. As it is, I thought it was just honest enough by taking the tougher route: Carrie is not vindicated in the least, but at least she succeeds; it's the perfect cynical "happy" ending to an espionage tale. You're not a hero when you save the world, but you sure as hell will take the fall when you fail.

To me, the fact that she succeeds and yet could never have known that she did was more honest and far more brutal than Brody's potential suicide bombing, so I wasn't particularly disappointed by the (admittedly pretty contrived) "malfunction" then change of heart. Getting Brody to stick around for another season was just a plus.

Great job on the thread Fry8. I couldn't have done better job.

I'm pretty damn excited, especially after reading about where the characters are at and how long has passed since season 1. It assures me that the writers know what they're doing. Killing off Brody last season would have been a HORRIBLE decision in the long term. Keeping him alive is more fitting of HBO's long form storytelling, to be honest, so i dont understand that complaint. Starting with a brand new threat seems more like a network tv route to take.

Dany

Banned
He pulled the trigger. He did it. His damn daughter called him after he fixed the vest. He went as close to the edge as possible.

Recon

Banned
He pulled the trigger. He did it. His damn daughter called him after he fixed the vest. He went as close to the edge as possible.

Yeah? That moment was great. I am saying it was a cop out that it was a malfunction. All that build up to be thrown away because Lewis was fantastic in his role.

Angry Fork

this

Season 1 finale enraged me so much.
They should've had him succeed in blowing himself up.
Almost retroactively ruined the season for me by not doing that. The pure definition of anti-climactic. I'll watch season 2 just because the rest of the first season was great but that final episode made me regret watching the show in the first place.

100% how I feel. I feel like the show runners should apologize for what they did I wonder if they commented on backlash they got.

Recon

Banned
this

Season 1 finale enraged me so much.
They should've had him succeed in blowing himself up.
Almost retroactively ruined the season for me by not doing that. The pure definition of anti-climactic. I'll watch season 2 just because the rest of the first season was great but that final episode made me regret watching the show in the first place.

Yeah, that was my immediate reaction to the episode.I have never been pissed off at a show before, but I was a bit ticked off while finishing that finale.

Fry

I only wish there was a crazy eyes gif of Carrie at the end of episode 11.

I don't feel comfortable watching this scene. =(

Great job on the thread Fry8. I couldn't have done better job.

I'm pretty damn excited, especially after reading about where the characters are at and how long has passed since season 1. It assures me that the writers know what they're doing.

Thanks a lot, man. I'm in the same state. I read through a lot of stuff before creating the OT, and I got more confident about the new season. I think I've always been since I loved the finale, but GAF's pessimism passes on to you! =p

Finished watching season 1 about month ago and already know I don't wanna be strung along through this will he do it or not bullshit. If anything I'll watch once the season is over.

Nlroh

I agree 100%. I don't understand how some of you can defend that, Dana calling and making Brody realize he shouldn't do it, the perfect definition for cheap cliché.

inm8num2

I've chosen not to watch the 20 min preview since I'd have to rewatch it anyway when the season premieres.

The wait is hard, though!

Carrie + Brody ship checking in. Can't wait for the season to start. Should be interesting to see if they can keep up the hard hitting pace and quality like season 1.

Sean

Banned
Just watched the first 20 minutes sneak peek. Damnit, why did I do that? It sets up the characters and premise and everything, then just as the plot really gets going:

6uRGj.png

Blue balls :(

BigDug13

I guess I didn't see it in the same way as most people. Claire was cockblocked from doing her job at every turn. As an absolute last ditch effort, she resorted to pestering the daughter to call him. Even after being fired, she tenatiously attacks all situations. In the end, her tenatiousness prevented a terrorist from succeeding. She won against all odds.

I also don't buy that he was originaly meant to die at the end of the season and that the writers chickened out.

Really, Claire Danes is what keeps me watching. She's brilliant in this role and I guess even with somewhat cliche outcomes aside, I still love the show.

I guess I didn't see it in the same way as most people. Claire was cockblocked from doing her job at every turn. As an absolute last ditch effort, she resorted to pestering the daughter to call him. Even after being fired, she tenatiously attacks all situations. In the end, her tenatiousness prevented a terrorist from succeeding. She won against all odds.

Let's be serious for a second. Some stupid 'WOOPS I FORGOT TO PLUG THE WIRE IN PROPERLY' contrivance prevented the terrorist from succeeding,

Recon

Banned
Let's be serious for a second. Some stupid 'WOOPS I FORGOT TO PLUG THE WIRE IN PROPERLY' contrivance prevented the terrorist from succeeding,

Exactly, Claire honestly didnt do shit but go crazy. Shitty writing prevented him from succeeding.

Edit: Claire was my least favorite thing about this show, aside form the admirable bit of acting in the finale.

People butthurt over the finale checking in early and often, I see. Should I correct them on why the wiring on the vest failed.. ahh why bother.

I quite enjoyed the 20-minute preview. I thought it set the table very nicely. It is but a fragment of an episode, but enough happened that I didn't feel unsatisfied. Second season looks epic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom