• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analyst: Nintendo sold 55,000 Wii Us in March, 85,000 Wiis

But it's not a difference of no major games to major games. It's a difference from no games period to mid-tier games.
Yes, the difference is major games might have an actual impact, while mid-tier games likely won't.
We'll see. I think we both have a valid argument here.
What exactly provides the validity for your argument? Do you have some sort of precedent upon which you're drawing from?

Radec

QtoHVL3.gif

Love this gif. So much potential.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
It's just a feeling I have that these consoles are not going to move that many units when they're released. I'm basing this mostly off of the price that I'm guessing, $499. I just don't think they average person is going to put down $499 for a console, let alone $349 on a Wii U. I put $349 to get a Wii U, because it's my hobby, but I don't think the average person who doesn't go on GAF will.

Though people might be more willing depending on the software. The Wii U had big names but it was clearly lacking Nintendo support from the get go and is still lacking that support. Nintendo has definitely blown the year head start.

It's hard to tell so soon, but that's my guess!

The problem is Nintendo is asking you drop $349 for New Super Mario Bros. and a bunch of late PS360 ports with spotty quality. Even as a Wii U owner, I can't recommend the console to anyone else because the value just isn't there. You can get away with shit software in the early days of a new console if the graphics and online features are more impressive than gamers can find on their current system.

Plus, I do think PS4 and Durango are poised to have some solid games available on Day 1.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
If there's a spot of hope here its that the 3DS had a similarly lackluster software lineup for quite a while and now its turned itself around and is doing quite nicely for itself.

Snakeyes

When Nintendo releases games third parties whine that they can't sell games on a system that have to compete with Nintendo's

Iwata talked about how they wanted to give third parties some room on the WiiU to shine and I think they got bit in the ass. It really is the very last time Nintendo should make that mistake.

If Nintendo truly wanted 3rd parties to shine, they would've given them more appealing hardware to play with.

Hiltz

I'm expecting sales under 100k units as well. The first half of the year for sales performance looks bad and Iwata can only say "Please understand the situation" so many times. Nintendo panic mode here we come.

Iwata thought several of its early 1st party titles would turn evergreen but New SMBU and stand alone Nintendo Land sales have already fallen down the charts. Wii Fit U is going to meet the same fate.

Sean

Banned
So it's looking like a gamecube era? Well, that era wasn't too bad.

Things are looking way worse than the Gamecube era.

Gamecube wasn't a generation behind in tech, it wasn't abandoned by third parties as quickly as Wii U, it had a much stronger initial first party lineup, and sales were never this low. It seems pretty dire right now and I don't think they'll be able to turn things around.

They called it a Wii. That's the first time since Super Nintendo Entertainment System that their (nonhandheld) console had basically the same name. And since we all knew what the S meant...Super...we had no doubt that it was a new console. WTF does the U stand for?

People don't realize that it's a new console. They don't get it. We live in a world where the next console is "console name" with a "number" behind it. Even non-consoles.

iPhone 4 must be a different phone than iPhone 5. PS3 is a different console than PS4. Xbox is a different console than Xbox 360.

I guess if Nintendo's console could market graphics that looked better than 360/PS3, they wouldn't have this marketing problem.

It also doesn't help that the boxes look almost identical. Of course, we don't expect them to learn. Gamestops mix up DS with DSi with 3DS titles all on the same shelf.

AZ Greg

I know the 360 had two major titles in its first March: Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter and, perhaps most importantly, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

Yeah, March was a really solid month. 10-12 games released IIRC. And other than the 2 you mentioned, it had games like Burnout Revenge, Far Cry: IP, and a couple of other games that, while average, WiiU owners would love to be getting right about now.

serplux

Yes, the difference is major games might have an actual impact, while mid-tier games likely won't. What exactly provides the validity for your argument? Do you have some sort of precedent upon which you're drawing from?

Well, there hasn't exactly been another system in this situation before (Vita?). I think we can agree to disagree.

Interesting. How many titles did those systems have in March?

Agreed completely.

Nintendo's March software refresh strategy was in line with industry precedent:

1. PS3 had one retail release in its first January and two retail releases in its first February.

2. 360 had zero retail releases in its first January and two retail releases in its first February.

3. Wii U had zero retail releases in its first January and zero retail releases in its first February.

1. PS3 had ten retail releases in its first, post-holiday software refresh in March.

2. 360 had ten retail releases in its first, post-holiday software refresh in March.

3. Wii U had six retail releases in its first, post-holiday software refresh in March.

Like I said, it's a typical software roadmap strategy. And yet....

360 NPD sales:
1st November - 326,000
1st December - 281,000
1st January - 250,000
1st February - 161,000

1st March (cycle refresh) - 192,000

PS3 NPD sales:
1st November - 197,000
1st December - 490,700
1st January - 244,000
1st February - 127,000

1st March (cycle refresh) - 130,000

Wii U NPD sales:
1st November - 425,000
1st December - 460,000
1st January - 57,000
1st February - 66,000

1st March (cycle refresh) - 55,000 (Pachter's prediction)

botty

Banned
Obviously. Their embarrassing E3 conference where they spent a minute showing off N64 level fireworks in Nintendoland clearly illustrates how important thw title was for them.

Nintendo was hoping that Nintendoland would act as a converting tool to introduce Wii gamers to traditional Nintendo franchises, but they sabotaged all their plans for the game with their abysmal presentation.

Man, whenever Katsuya Eguchi comes out during E3, I am just going to expect some form of disappointment.

they banked big on that game. they clearly put a lot of production effort into it. huge amounts of content in it. some of the the minigames alone (like Zelda) could probably be torn apart and repurposed into full games. if it ends up delaying their major titles like 3D Mario & Kart, they're in for some serious trouble.

And with everyone connecting online, I can't believe this game had no online multiplayer features. It was like something out of the N64 era.

honestly, we cant judge these sales numbers by being nintendos best shot at launching wii u. Instead, look at these numbers as anything nintendo could grab with their year head-start.

Everyone is saying its failing, but really it just never got a strong/proper release just so nintendo can have a head-start.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
What about the rumored $399 price got the PS4?

I don't think anyone would blink twice at a $50 difference. I also think people are ready for next generation. Wii motion was new... Tablet gaming is not new to the casuals. Nothing feels next generation on the Wii-U to me.

I think it's still to early to call the Wii-U out until the twice AAA games are released.

Uber, Undeserving, Umbrella?
$50 difference would be great, but I'm not sure. I'm not really a hardware guy, but is $399 doable considering the PS4's spec's and Sony's willingness to lose profit on the machine?

The problem is Nintendo is asking you drop $349 for New Super Mario Bros. and a bunch of late PS360 ports with spotty quality. Even as a Wii U owner, I can't recommend the console to anyone else because the value just isn't there. You can get away with shit software in the early days of a new console if the graphics and online features are more impressive than gamers can find on their current system.

Plus, I do think PS4 and Durango are poised to have some solid games available on Day 1.
I agree. It's hard to recommend right now, despite how much I've enjoyed Nintendo Land and New Super Mario Bros U; there's just not enough on the console from Nintendo to recommend it to people.

When Nintendo releases games third parties whine that they can't sell games on a system that have to compete with Nintendo's

Iwata talked about how they wanted to give third parties some room on the WiiU to shine and I think they got bit in the ass. It really is the very last time Nintendo should make that mistake.
I don't think this current drought is simply a matter of Nintendo doing 3rd parties a favor. Not when no retail titles come out for a system for two months straight. Either their games are delayed for "upended tea table" reasons or they really want to hold off their titles for one big blowout in hopes that the zero exposure right now doesn't cost them before their "relaunch" later in the year.

Ty4on

But seriously, guys, what game is going to sell this system? Or is there simply a certain "catalog size" that gets people interested?

All the big ones. The Vita has Persona, Uncharted, Gravity Rush, Lumines, Asscreed, Wipeout and some great ports like Rayman Origins, NFS MW, Oddworld yet many still complain it has too few games.

As a comparison: Since febuary 360 owners got MGR:R, Crysis 3, Tomb Raider, and Bioshock while WiiU owners got Lego City and MonHun. They are probably two great games, but why wouldn't you buy the cheaper console that gets more new titles and has a gigantic game library in addition?
360 NPD sales:
1st November - 326,000
1st December - 281,000
1st January - 250,000
1st February - 161,000

PS3 NPD sales:
1st November - 197,000
1st December - 490,700
1st January - 244,000
1st February - 127,000

Wii U NPD sales:
1st November - 425,000
1st December - 460,000
1st January - 57,000
1st February - 66,000

Wow. You can really see all the "hard core" (haven't got a better word) guys buying it the first two months and then the sales fell off a cliff.

serplux

360 NPD sales:
1st November - 326,000
1st December - 281,000
1st January - 250,000
1st February - 161,000

PS3 NPD sales:
1st November - 197,000
1st December - 490,700
1st January - 244,000
1st February - 127,000

Wii U NPD sales:
1st November - 425,000
1st December - 460,000
1st January - 57,000
1st February - 66,000

Well that's quite interesting then. Consider your argument accepted. (Although I still have some doubts. :p)

Obviously. Their embarrassing E3 conference where they spent a minute showing off N64 level fireworks in Nintendoland clearly illustrates how important thw title was for them.

"And now before we go..."

*all Nintendo fans huddle in anticipation oh god is it Smash 4 is it 3D Mario is it sneak peak at Retro's new game omggggg*

...let's take one last look, at Nintendoland"

/wrist

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Just wondering, did the Gamecube have a decent enough 3rd party support?

Nintendo was hoping that Nintendoland would act as a converting tool to introduce Wii gamers to traditional Nintendo franchises, but they sabotaged all their plans for the game with their abysmal presentation.
Fifteen minutes of that at an E3 stage.

Oh geez

B.O.O.M

1. PS3 had one retail release in its first January and two retail releases in its first February.

2. 360 had zero retail releases in its first January and two retail releases in its first February.

3. Wii U had zero retail releases in its first January and zero retail releases in its first February.

1. PS3 had ten retail releases in its first, post-holiday release software refresh in March.

2. 360 had ten retail releases in its first, post-holiday release software refresh in March.

3. Wii U had six retail releases in its first, post-holiday release software refresh in March.

360 NPD sales:
1st November - 326,000
1st December - 281,000
1st January - 250,000
1st February - 161,000

PS3 NPD sales:
1st November - 197,000
1st December - 490,700
1st January - 244,000
1st February - 127,000

Wii U NPD sales:
1st November - 425,000
1st December - 460,000
1st January - 57,000
1st February - 66,000

damn that looks horrible. Even the PS3 did way way better

Yeah, it´s not because Nintendo is having difficulty with HD development or anything.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Yeah, March was a really solid month. 10-12 games released IIRC. And other than the 2 you mentioned, it had games like Burnout Revenge, Far Cry: IP, and a couple of other games that, while average, WiiU owners would love to be getting right about now.

Yeah, even something like Fight Night Round 3 can serve as a sort of system seller when it comes out on new hardware. PS4/Durango are already in better shape than Wii U as soon as casuals see Madden 25 and Fifa 14 running on them.

AZ Greg

honestly, we cant judge these sales numbers by being nintendos best shot at launching wii u. Instead, look at these numbers as anything nintendo could grab with their year head-start.

Everyone is saying its failing, but really it just never got a strong/proper release just so nintendo can have a head-start.

The Wii launched a year after the 360, and was similarly underpowered, yet it still sold amazingly. I doubt Nintendo, so desperate to get some head-start numbers, would sabotage their own launch.

$50 difference would be great, but I'm not sure. I'm not really a hardware guy, but is $399 doable considering the PS4's spec's and Sony's willingness to lose profit on the machine?

Hardware wise it's feasible they might not take a loss at $399. We aren't paying for things that aren't important to most gamers in the box, which makes it reasonable. Add contracts with PSN+ and it could go even lower.

Now if they want to make a small profit on each console then $449 should be reasonable.

Wow. You can really see all the "hard core" (haven't got a better word) guys buying it the first two months and then the sales fell off a cliff.

Don't forget the Scalpers. A lot of people bought it with the idea that they could sell it for double the price on EBAY like the Wii.

The Wii launched a year after the 360, and was similarly underpowered, yet it still sold amazingly. I doubt Nintendo, so desperate to get some head-start numbers, would sabotage their own launch.

But Waggle felt next gen. Motion controls were next gen feeling for a console. Tablets don't have the same effect. Especially to attract casuals who already have an Ipad, Nexus, or Galaxy.

Well, there hasn't exactly been another system in this situation before (Vita?). I think we can agree to disagree.
See Aquamarine's post.

For a somewhat analogous situation, at least in terms of struggling post launch, see the PS3's numbers more closely and the failure to increase sales Feb -> Mar.

IFAICT there isn't any precedent for a 50% increase in sales that some appear to be predicting. Holding flat at ~65K would actually be better than the norm, and a decrease to ~55K fits the norm very well.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm still baffled by how much NintendoLand didn't catch on. Everyone I know was done with Wii Sports after a few weeks, but a half dozen friends and I were playing NintendoLand every week for like four months. Just a weird situation where my experience apparently runs completely contrary to the market.

Ridley327

Just wondering, did the Gamecube have a decent enough 3rd party support?

It did for a while, but it never got any of the major third party exclusives like the PS2 did; Resident Evil was the only real victory for the system, and even that was severely undermined when Capcom announced the PS2 port of RE4 before it even came out.

Alex

They're learning. I know we're the internet, but I've seen at least 100 posts between here and GFAQs with people saying the game made them buy a Wii U. Heck, a GAF member just bought a Wii U for it last night even though he has the 3DS version.

MHFU and Tri both sold well over 500k in the west. Monster Hunter has probably peaked for what it can achieve in the West and if did continue to grow it's certainly not going to be from a Wii U port and an offline 3DS version with no adhoc party.

Lunar15

I'm still baffled by how much NintendoLand didn't catch on. Everyone I know was done with Wii Sports after a few weeks, but a half dozen friends and I were playing NintendoLand every week for like four months. Just a weird situation where my experience apparently runs completely contrary to the market.

The game, on the outside, appeals to no one. Hardcore fans are turned off by the casual look. Casual fans have no attachment to the references to old series. Who was this game made for?

Regardless of how good it actually is (I've enjoyed it) it's nearly unmarketable.

And yet they announce the 3DS XL at a Nintendo Direct and The Wonderful 101 as a Spike TV exclusive. They're strange people.

Bayonetta 2 was announced through some third party stream after hours

If and when Nintendo E3 conference disappoints, keep hope alive for Destructoid community blog exclusive reveal of Metroid Dread, a 2D 1080p new adventure for Samus Aran, with Zone Editor for custom levels you can share on the Miiverse

I dont, at all. It just seems like the correct route, business wise.

They got their console out just before black friday 2012...a coincidence? I dont think so.

Keep thinking about it...

serplux

See Aquamarine's post.

For a somewhat analogous situation, at least in terms of struggling post launch, see the PS3's numbers more closely and the failure to increase sales Feb -> Mar.

IFAICT there isn't any precedent for a 50% increase in sales that some appear to be predicting. Holding flat at ~65K would actually be better than the norm, and a decrease to ~55K fits the norm very well.

I have seen it and have noted it. But how is dropping 8k "fitting the norm" when the other two systems increased a bit, even if it's no more than statistical noise?

Bayonetta 2 was announced through some third party stream after hours

If and when Nintendo E3 conference disappoints, keep hope alive for Destructoid community blog exclusive reveal of Metroid Dread, a 2D 1080p new adventure for Samus Aran, with Zone Editor for custom levels you can share on the Miiverse

That's the fun thing!

Top Bottom