• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G1 Climax 24 |OT| New Japan Pro-Wrestling

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen a lot of hate for Naito in places. I don't know why. I only started watching shortly after last year's G1 and he's tore up in every match I've seen of his.

ghostmind

I've seen a lot of hate for Naito in places. I don't know why. I only started watching shortly after last year's G1 and he's tore up in every match I've seen of his.

I think Naito's grown over the last year, both in his ability to improvise in the ring, and his ability to connect with the crowd.

Today Naito feels like more of a legit contender for the heavyweight belt, than he did last year.

ghostmind

Day 4 Top Matches
Ishii vs Honma
Shibata vs Tanahashi
Naito vs Styles
Okada vs Anderson

The rest of the matches were great as well. An awesome night!

THAT FUCKING MATCH!!! Hot damn, fantastic work by everyone involved. Day 4 kills it, again. I'd rank it;

1. Tanahashi vs Shibata
2. Naito vs Styles
3. Okada vs Anderson
4. Nagata vs Nakamura

Need to rewatch Ishii vs Honma though, as I missed most of it.

ghostmind

On paper this was just the 4th day in a 12 day tournament - taking place in a gymnasium in front of a modest-sized local crowd. Yet it was better than all of the big-budget PPVs that I have seen this year.

Kudos to the talent at NJPW - they are a class above the rest.

THAT FUCKING MATCH!!! Hot damn, fantastic work by everyone involved. Day 4 kills it, again. I'd rank it;

1. Tanahashi vs Shibata
2. Naito vs Styles
3. Okada vs Anderson
4. Nagata vs Nakamura

Need to rewatch Ishii vs Honma though, as I missed most of it.

You need too dood. It was better than their previous match imo.

Yeah, I just got done watching it a few minutes ago - really awesome match, loved the trading chop spot and that fight over hitting a deadlift suplex. I'd definitely put it above Okada/Anderson.

Also, this was such a perfect DDT spot.

Honma1.gif

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I gotta say Day 4 of this year is better than last year's Day 4. This is amazing.

So far this year's G1 has surpassed my already high expectations. I didn't think they could do better. There's still plenty of dates left, but my goodness, can't believe I'm loving the Kojima and Tenzan matches as much as I am. Also AJ Styles is so fucking amazing in this. I love seeing these matchups.

Going through day 4 now and I'm loving it! Fale-Kojima was just about perfect for a Fale match. DBS Jr-Shelton was fine, although it's odd seeing Jr. with so much hair. SUZUKI-TENZAN IS THEM JUST HITTING EACH OTHER. And it's glorious! Tenzan blocks the Gotch piledriver, so Suzuki's all like "okay, fuck you AND YOUR JAW!" and knees the hell out of him! Suzuki makes the mistake of running into a Mountain Bomb though. SUZUKI GETS HIM UP FOR THE PILEDRIVER BUT TENZAN SHIFTS HIS WEIGHT! Tenzan hits...what can generously be called a spinning wheel kick. Big Daddy V honestly got more height on it, and it was nowhere near the face even with Suzuki leaning down...yeah just never do that again. This was overdelivering a ton until that point, then I just got sad. Diving headbutt misses, so Suzuki nails him with a running kick and then does a neck crank suplex into a chokeout for the win. I so want to make Suzuki in FPR after this! Yano-Goto is non-stop action with some fast forearms, kicks, a corner spinkick, and backdrop for 2.9! YANO WINS VIA LOW BLOW AND CRADLE! This ruled!

Honma-Ishii starts off smartly with Ishii winning a shoulder block war. FOREARM TIME! Now Honma wins the shoulder block war! He misses a headbutt though, so it's headbutt/elbow time! He chops Honma down hard and cockily kicks his face - that won't end well. MID-RING CHOP EXCHANGE! Ishii gets a chain of headbutts before a suplex back and forth spot is won by Honma with a Cesaro-style deadlift! Honma lands some corner chops, running corner forearm, and a Jericho bulldog before ANOTHER MID-RING CHOP EXCHANGE! This one's got sweat flying off so it looks awesome too. Damn - even the ref is getting into this! HONMA LANDS THREE CHOPS AND WINS THE BATTLE! HE FINALLY HITS THE FALLING HEADBUTT TOO! A huge Honma chant broke out before some standing forearms were landed, but Ishii responds with ONE and takes Honma down! Backdrop into a cover gets 2 for Ishii. An Ishii corner lariat is met with a corner-bouncing one from Honma. A snap piledriver from Honma gets 2! They exchange elbows before Honma SPIKES HIM WITH A DDT! They lariat each other three times in a bull run before Honma wins on the third. Diving headbutt misses and opens Ishii up to deliver a delayed superplex for 2. A scary Ishii powerbomb results in a small head drop, so they ditch that for some headbutts and a folding powerbomb for 2. Honma gets an SOS for 2 and a throwing German suplex! Running lariat>brainbuster for 2.9! Honma goes a shouldermount powerslam, but Ishii gets out leading to MACHINE GUN SLAPS AND ELBOWS! Ishii hits a running lariat for 2.9! Delayed brainbuster from Ishiii gets the win! Good God that was one of the best matches I've seen all year.

Kornflayx

Just watched Honma vs. Ishii from Day 4 and I'm blown away. Haven't watched the rest of the card yet, but that is easily match of tournament for me right now.

Everyone should go out of his way to watch that. Please New Japan, push Honma. At least give him the NEVER title at some point.

mrboo001

Banned
Just finished watching Day 4 and wow, every match was great! Honma vs. Ishii might be my match of the night just because it blew past my expectations. The last four matches where just as great but I expected them to be. Amazing tourment so far. Only bad thing is I might start becoming overwhelmed with all this wrestling.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It really is great how over Honma is and how he connects with the crowd. He's so good.

2.5 hours until Day 5;

NJPW, "G1 CLIMAX - DAY 5", 2014/07/28
Sendai Sun Plaza Hall

18:30 JST | 11:30 EU | 10:30 UK | 05:30 EDT | 02:30 PDT

01. G1 Climax - Block A: Tomohiro Ishii vs Doc Gallows
02. G1 Climax - Block B: Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs Lance Archer
03. G1 Climax - Block A: Satoshi Kojima vs Davey Boy Smith Jr.
04. G1 Climax - Block B: Minoru Suzuki vs Yujiro Takahashi
05. G1 Climax - Block B: Toru Yano vs Karl Anderson
06. G1 Climax - Block A: Katsuyori Shibata vs Shelton Benjamin
07. G1 Climax - Block B: Hirooki Goto vs AJ Styles
08. G1 Climax - Block A: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Bad Luck Fale
09. G1 Climax - Block A: Shinsuke Nakamura vs Tomoaki Honma
10. G1 Climax - Block B: Kazuchika Okada vs Tetsuya Naito

Last four matches all look great, also interested in Kojima vs Davey Boy.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
Just watched Honma vs. Ishii from Day 4 and I'm blown away. Haven't watched the rest of the card yet, but that is easily match of tournament for me right now.

Everyone should go out of his way to watch that. Please New Japan, push Honma. At least give him the NEVER title at some point.

It really is great how over Honma is and how he connects with the crowd. He's so good.

This G1 is going to do wonders for Honma. They better book his win outdoors because the crowd is going to blow the roof all the way to Saturn.

Kornflayx

2.5 hours until Day 5;

NJPW, "G1 CLIMAX - DAY 5", 2014/07/28
Sendai Sun Plaza Hall

18:30 JST | 11:30 EU | 10:30 UK | 05:30 EDT | 02:30 PDT

07. G1 Climax - Block B: Hirooki Goto vs AJ Styles
09. G1 Climax - Block A: Shinsuke Nakamura vs Tomoaki Honma
10. G1 Climax - Block B: Kazuchika Okada vs Tetsuya Naito

These matches, oh yes.

iGpnC3iI6cRI9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.