• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G1 Climax 24 |OT| New Japan Pro-Wrestling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ishii hitting a vertical suplex on Gallows looked crazy, dude's ridiculously awesome.

Ishii.gif

ghostmind

Oh shit... Karl is going to blow a fuse!

Yeah, Yujiro was trying to be a bad guy, but he's not at Suzuki's level of brutal.

ghostmind

Wow, these two match up really well.

That was great! AJ is putting out his best work in years, and he's really gelling with the other NJPW talent, and the crowd is starting to react to him.

That was so, so good. I really enjoyed it and definitely agree about AJ - it's AWESOME to see a company properly showcase his talents, free of all the bullshit that came with TNA.

ghostmind

They are really building Fale as a monster.

... and just as I was typing that I heard one of the commentators say "monster"

I also swear I heard Nogami call Fale's splash "family sizeduuu!!", lol.

That was a pretty good match, Tanahashi put over Fale hella strong. Loved the spot where Tanahashi hit the High Fly Flow, but Fale grabbed his throat as he landed and hit the Grenade!

ghostmind

Both Nakamura and Tanahashi have put Fale over huge. They've got some long-term plans for Fale for sure.

Family sizedu... that's awesome - I'll have to listen for it next time.

I can easily see Honma getting the MVP bonus this year (Ishii got it last year), he's putting in a hell of a shift throughout the tournament. Can't wait for him to get his win, the crowd are going to lose their minds.

ghostmind

Honma better be near the top of the card after G1. The crowds love him, and he's put on great matches with everyone he has faced.

No more throwing him in the early card with Captain New Japan or similar - give him a real push!

I don't know if you'll see him near the top of the card, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a NEVER title shot, or challenge for the tag titles at some point. He's got a lot of things working against him, though; his age, his deathmatch background and the whole Yakuza scandal he got fired for a few years back.

ghostmind

I don't know if you'll see him near the top of the card, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a NEVER title shot, or challenge for the tag titles at some point. He's got a lot of things working against him, though; his age, his deathmatch background and the whole Yakuza scandal he got fired for a few years back.

Ah, I didn't know about the Yakuza thing.

I guess not near the top then, but he's proving himself to be a great worker, so I hope he is rewarded with some sort of elevation after this.

Definitely, he really deserves it and the fans love him.

Also, THAT MAIN EVENT! Fuck yes, that was all kinds of great. Naito is getting pushed again, but this time it's WORKING. Everyone complaining about how badly he was being booked this year, I told you; they needed to rebuild him after the disastrous push last year and that's exactly what they've done. Huge Naito chants from the Sendai crowd, great match.

ghostmind

Something about Naito vs Okada that just doesn't work as well for me. I find Naito's matches against other opponents more interesting.

Also, Naito needs to learn how to sell better than just staring blankly.

He is doing a lot better than last year though - much better connection with the crowd.

If Naito is going to be in the main event at Wrestle Kingdom, I would rather it be against Styles than Okada. Or Okada vs. Styles. Either one works for me. Just not Okada vs. Naito again.

ghostmind

Karl Anderson ‏@Machinegunka 4m
Sendai, Japan.
If you were in the crowd or you bought the PPV. You just saw the best professional Wrestling on Gods Green Earth.
Hands down.

ghostmind

Day 5 Top Matches
Styles vs. Goto
Yano vs. Anderson
Nakamura vs. Honma
Okada vs. Naito
Tanahashi vs. Fale

Yeah, that's half the card, but there were so many great matches tonight that were close to each other in quality that I cannot narrow it further.

No, I think you might be right - I'd say it's because of the longer breaks between shows. Last year's schedule was so utterly brutal, at least half the roster was working with injuries by the end.

ghostmind said:
If Naito is going to be in the main event at Wrestle Kingdom, I would rather it be against Styles than Okada. Or Okada vs. Styles. Either one works for me. Just not Okada vs. Naito again.

I'm still pretty sure the WK main will be Okada vs Shinsuke, with Tanahashi vs Styles and Naito vs Fale (if he still has the IC belt come January). I definitely see an IC title run in his future before he gets hold of the main title, although he did beat AJ, so he will likely get a shot sometime this year.

ghostmind

Yeah, Okada vs. Nak would probably be the biggest draw, and I know it's something that we've been talking about since last year. But if Okada faces Nak then I don't see CHAOS surviving in its current form... so then does the Bullet Club stay together? I don't see them breaking apart both factions in a span of 5 months.

I could actually see CHAOS splitting in two behind Okada & Nakamura. One would presumably turn full heel, Nakamura I'm guessing.

Oh yeah, I'd probably rank the top matches today;

Okada vs Naito
Styles vs Goto
Nakamura vs Honma
Yano vs Anderson
Tanahashi vs Fale

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So Anderson has no way of getting enough points to get in the finals yes? And we'll hopefully get a feud out of Anderson and Yano?

Anderson can still get to the finals mathematically, but it'd require a lot of others to lose a lot of their matches. So yeah, he's done.

Also, first injury scare of the tournament - Tanahashi was taken to hospital for scans on his neck. Thankfully, New Japan's in-house doctor says they didn't find anything and Tanahashi should be OK, but he's being kept in for observation.

Block A:

1. Shelton Benjamin [8]
2. Katsuyori Shibata [6]
-. Bad Luck Fale [6]
-. Hiroshi Tanahashi [6]
-. Shisuke Nakamura [6]
-. Tomohiro Ishii [6]
7. Davey Boy Smith Jr. [4]
8. Satoshi Kojima [4]
9. Yuji Nagata [2]
-. Doc Gallows [2]
11. Tomoaki Honma [0]

Block B:

1. Tetsuya Naito [8]
2. Kazuchika Okada [6]
-. Hirooki Goto [6]
-. Toru Yano [6]
5. Minoru Suzuki [4]
-. Lance Archer [4]
-. Hiroyoshi Tenzan [4]
-. AJ Styles [4]
9. Togi Makabe [2]
10. Yujiro Takahashi [2]
-. Karl Anderson [2]

Browny

Banned
I've managed to miss out on pretty much everything so far, and with a holiday next week, that's not going to improve. Looks as though I'll have some busy lunchtimes when I get back - days 1 and 4 sound superb!

I'm pretty sure Shelton's push is done with. Can't see him winning any of his next 3 matches, but he might pick up one or two more wins.

I'm really, really hoping Honma beats him on the penultimate show - Honma deserves at least one win.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I expected Yujiro to get a lot more wins. Shelton's will even out now. It's been interesting.

somedevil

New Japan injury update:

Bad news on the G-1 front. Togi Makabe suffered a fractured jaw during his match with Lance Archer on Saturday while Hiroshi Tanahashi was in the hospital earlier today with neck problems.

Tanahashi is being held together by Glue right now.

Day 6 kicks off in a little over 9 hours;

NJPW, "G1 CLIMAX - DAY 6", 2014/07/31
Act City Hamamatsu

18:00 JST | 11:00 EU | 10:00 UK | 05:00 EDT | 02:00 PDT

01. G1 Climax - Block A: Doc Gallows vs Bad Luck Fale
02. G1 Climax - Block A: Yuji Nagata vs Davey Boy Smith Jr.
03. G1 Climax - Block B: Togi Makabe vs Yujiro Takahashi
04. G1 Climax - Block A: Satoshi Kojima vs Katsuyori Shibata
05. G1 Climax - Block B: Hirooki Goto vs Karl Anderson
06. G1 Climax - Block B: Minoru Suzuki vs Lance Archer
07. G1 Climax - Block A: Shinsuke Nakamura vs Shelton Benjamin
08. G1 Climax - Block B: Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs AJ Styles
09. G1 Climax - Block B: Kazuchika Okada vs Toru Yano
10. G1 Climax - Block A: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Tomohiro Ishii

No update on Tanahashi or Makabe's condition, but you would think they'd announce it before hand if the main event had to be changed, so I'm presuming Tana's good to go. Others are apparently working through injuries, but no specific details.

As for the event itself, there's some interesting encounters from the get go with Bullet Club members Bad Luck Fale and Doc Gallows facing off. I'm also really looking forward to Kojima vs Shibata, they had a great match last year. Tenzan vs Styles is an interesting one - Tenzan seems to have hit a rare vein of good form, while AJ's tearing it up. CHAOS team-mates Okada & Yano going at it should be fun if the match from last year's New Japan Cup is any indication, while Tanahashi vs Ishii was one of the highlights of last year's G1, so is unsurprisingly pretty anticipated.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
been super busy lately but am going to try and finish day 2 tonight at work since its slow. Just watched Davey Boy jr vs Nakamura, that was alright, probably the best of day 2 so far. I really like Nakamura

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom