• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Media Event - 1080p AppleTV, 4G/LTE 2048x1536 iPad, same price, Mar 16th

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokkun

Does that make business sense? Would enough people go "I haven't bought an iPad yet, but now that they have one at $400 I'm buying it!" to make it worth the potential loss in profits?

Possibly. I mean obviously they already believe there are greater profits to be had by appealing to multiple price segments, otherwise they would only sell the most expensive version of the iPad 2 now.

Sean

Banned
8GB seems way too small for iPad uses, it's bad enough on an ipod touch, even 16 seems to be stretching it with HD versions of games.

8GB is too small for me as well, but everyone has different use cases.

Someone like my parents for example would mostly use an iPad for checking their email, web browsing, news apps, writing notes, etc.. You don't need a large amount of storage space for that kind of stuff.

Someone like my parents for example would mostly use an iPad for checking their email, web browsing, news apps, writing notes, etc.. You don't need a large amount of storage space for that kind of stuff.

True but even high quality photos and music can fill 8gb up quickly now days.

Personally, i'm fond on the idea of a medium sized ipad too if they did shrink it, 7inch ipad 2 would be rather awesome for anyone.

blackflag

Arghhhhhh I hope they go on sale the 9th and not the 16th. Rumors are the 16th and they are probably correct, but I'm holding on to hope. Otherwise, it is going to be a very long 2 weeks.

noah111

Still Alive

You guys aren't looking at the big picture here. The whole point of an 8GB iPad would be to push iCloud. This is when you can stream all your music and movies without DLing it, obviously.

It's bound to happen, and that's what an 8GB device would really be about. How many apps do you have? Surely that can be managed to to less than 7GB, and the rest is in the cloud.

numble

In the US, the 8GB iPhone 3GS and 8GB iPhone 4 is more popular than all higher capacity Galaxy phones, and the 8GB Kindle Fire is more popular than all higher capacity Android tablets.

Al-ibn Kermit

There's two possiblities, either they only come out with the iPad 3. And that's it. It'll have retina, more RAM, and it'll have either a quad-core A9 or dual-core A16. It may be over $500 for the lowest end model though.

The other possibility is that the new iPad will be basically an iPad2 with a higher clocked processor but it'll still have the retina display and probably more RAM. If this happens, then they'll probably keep the current iPad2 around as the lower tier model, but I don't see them selling it anywhere near as low as Kindle Fire territory so I'm not sure how lucrative it would be to keep this tier.

The problem with the first option is that it'll just be expensive. The problem with the second option is that they might not wait another whole year before updating the iPad with a new processor. Plus it would throw out the chronological naming scheme since they might just call it the iPad2 HD/+/Retina or whatever.

Jasoco

Banned
I still wish they'd make it so I don't need to have my apps on my computer. There's no reason for them to be there with iCloud aside from slightly faster copy over time but really, it should be optional to keep them just in the cloud. They take up a lot of space for something you can't even launch on your computer anyway. A simple checkbox that says "Keep Apps in iCloud only" that alerts you "This will delete all iOS apps from your computer. If you ever wish to turn this option off you will have to re-download all your apps. Is this okay?" when you check it would suffice. I'd check it day 1 and free up 6.13GB of space I could be using for so many other things.

Come on, Apple! It only makes sense! And I doubt it's a bandwidth thing. It's a simple oversight left over from legacy times (Read: Before iCloud and WiFi Sync) and I hope they realize it by iOS 6.

Also, I hope they don't make the base iPad 3 over $500. That's the same thing they did with the iPod touch 3. The low end 3rd gen was the second model and they had a cheaper 2nd gen model as the entry. I want my iPad 3 to be $500 at the lowest end. It's like when the Mac mini started out at $500 and gradually jumped up to $700 when they went Intel only to just now come down to $600.

MercuryLS

Banned
I still wish they'd make it so I don't need to have my apps on my computer. There's no reason for them to be there with iCloud aside from slightly faster copy over time but really, it should be optional to keep them just in the cloud. They take up a lot of space for something you can't even launch on your computer anyway. A simple checkbox that says "Keep Apps in iCloud only" that alerts you "This will delete all iOS apps from your computer. If you ever wish to turn this option off you will have to re-download all your apps. Is this okay?" when you check it would suffice. I'd check it day 1 and free up 6.13GB of space I could be using for so many other things.

Come on, Apple! It only makes sense! And I doubt it's a bandwidth thing. It's a simple oversight left over from legacy times (Read: Before iCloud and WiFi Sync) and I hope they realize it by iOS 6.

Also, I hope they don't make the base iPad 3 over $500. That's the same thing they did with the iPod touch 3. The low end 3rd gen was the second model and they had a cheaper 2nd gen model as the entry. I want my iPad 3 to be $500 at the lowest end. It's like when the Mac mini started out at $500 and gradually jumped up to $700 when they went Intel only to just now come down to $600.

Deleted all apps off my Mac, everything is in iCloud now. I just don't sync anything to my my Mac anymore. Don't have to really.

Jasoco

Banned
Deleted all apps off my Mac, everything is in iCloud now. I just don't sync anything to my my Mac anymore. Don't have to really.
Yeah you do. Playcounts are very important to me and if I can't sync all the metadata of my music between my computer and iDevice then all is for naught.

Maybe it works for you, but it's not a valid option for everyone unfortunately. It just causes errors and problems if you do try and sync.

MercuryLS

Banned
Yeah you do. Playcounts are very important to me and if I can't sync all the metadata of my music between my computer and iDevice then all is for naught.

Maybe it works for you, but it's not a valid option for everyone unfortunately. It just causes errors and problems if you do try and sync.

I use Rdio, so no need to use iTunes for music. But yeah, Apple should allow an option to forgo app syncing.

You wasted all that time writing all those words..considering that issue doesn't even exist. Just turn off automatic downloads in iTunes, and delete all your apps. They'll still be on your devices, and new apps wont be downloaded to iTunes.

PS- Tim Cook was spotted in France and was apparently on a business trip of the 'utmost secrecy', most probably to sign a contract or make an acquisition. Any guesses? What companies based in france are ripe for an Apple deal/acquisition?

KtSlime

Vivendi? For tv, games and films?

I'm not sure this is possible, I think France has laws forbidding the sale of companies like Vivendi-Universal to companies outside of France. Although it is an interesting idea, and would be a very good purchase. Out of all the media groups, I'd say VU would give them the right leverage without getting too much baggage. But it seems like a long-shot.

Jasoco

Banned
You wasted all that time writing all those words..considering that issue doesn't even exist. Just turn off automatic downloads in iTunes, and delete all your apps. They'll still be on your devices, and new apps wont be downloaded to iTunes.
If you delete an app from your system and sync, it will copy back over from your device. Or it will error complaining that the file could not be copied. Also, it would be nice if I could purchase an app on my iTunes and have it download to my iDevices but not my computer. You can't do that though. You'd still have to delete the app after downloading it in iTunes.

At least last I checked. I'll do a little experiment and see what happens with current iOS and iTunes.

And wasting time writing words is pretty much all I do. It's what I'm known for. Don't take that away from me.

Edit: Confirmed. If you delete an app from iTunes, as soon as you sync your devices again it deletes the app from the device too.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
If you delete an app from your system and sync, it will copy back over from your device. Or it will error complaining that the file could not be copied. Also, it would be nice if I could purchase an app on my iTunes and have it download to my iDevices but not my computer. You can't do that though. You'd still have to delete the app after downloading it in iTunes.

At least last I checked. I'll do a little experiment and see what happens with current iOS and iTunes.

And wasting time writing words is pretty much all I do. It's what I'm known for. Don't take that away from me.

Edit: Confirmed. If you delete an app from iTunes, as soon as you sync your devices again it deletes the app from the device too.

It's a backup redundancy Apple put in place for when apps inevitably gets removed from the store. Either by violating something or dev license expiry (not to mention if the user moves store region). People hate to loose things they paid for, simple as that.

Apple doesn't host any apps "in the cloud" and probably never will.

Appleman

It's a backup redundancy Apple put in place for when apps inevitably gets removed from the store. Either by violating something or dev license expiry (not to mention if the user moves store region). People hate to loose things they paid for, simple as that.

Apple doesn't host any apps "in the cloud" and probably never will.

Wait, what? I can go to the Purchased section of the App Store on my iPhone and redownload apps that have since been removed from the store... No need for iTunes

Tobor

Get iTunes Match. All the iTunes metadata syncs through iCloud automatically. No syncing needed.

vehn

Wait, what? I can go to the Purchased section of the App Store on my iPhone and redownload apps that have since been removed from the store... No need for iTunes

I bought the GameLoft game "Order & Chaos" when it came out, but deleted it a few months later. Now when I go to purchased section I don't see it (despite seeing all if not most of my other purchased games), and going to its page in the store says I have to buy it. Wonder why this game is like that

Tobor

Oh didn't know anybody who was paying for that. Which iCloud tier are you on? Have you filled up the storage? What's the storage capacity of your iPad?

I paid $20 for the extra 10GB. I have an iPhone and iPad syncing to my iCloud account, and I was over the 5GB. I could have trimmed it down to fit it in the 5 GB, but I'm not sweating $20 a year to not have to worry about it.

I paid for Match also, so I'm in for $45 a year total.

No. I can't think of any reason to off the top of my head after iCloud and iTunes Matchx
I used the AVPlayer app a lot, because it can play all kinds of video formats, so I was regularly connecting mine to a PC to dump files on there. I guess... if you buy all your films through iTunes, or stream stuff through Netflix or whatever, that's not a big deal. But I guess I'm old school, with a very random and disorganised movie collection. I like dragging and dropping. It's cooool.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I haven't jumped in on iTunes Match because literally every song I have purchased has been done through iTunes. The main reason I'd want to do it would be for the meta-data syncing...as lame as that is.

iCloud I'm rocking the upgraded package you got for having MobileMe after they switched.

Haven't synced my iPhone or iPad to my computer for awhile now.

I still sync to my pc but once I grab myself an ipad of some kind I might keep it seperate, I have a wireless keyboard shell on the way so i'll treat it as a laptop of sorts.

giga

I've only used Match to get higher quality versions of my songs. Bugs like not showing my album art prevents me from using it over syncing with the mac.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So what's the deal with Apple TV? I am up on the iDevice gadgets but not as much Apple TV. Is it just a content box that allows me to buy shows on my TV? Can I stream from my iPad to my TV using it?

Tobor

So what's the deal with Apple TV? I am up on the iDevice gadgets but not as much Apple TV. Is it just a content box that allows me to buy shows on my TV? Can I stream from my iPad to my TV using it?

You can do both of those things. It also includes the basics, like Netflix, MLB, NBA, YouTube, and Podcasts.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
You can do both of those things. It also includes the basics, like Netflix, MLB, NBA, YouTube, and Podcasts.

So a lot of the content on there you still have to pay for right? Like movies and shows, etc. Just trying to think of why i'd want it if I have Netflix on my Xbox.

Vyer

So a lot of the content on there you still have to pay for right? Like movies and shows, etc. Just trying to think of why i'd want it if I have Netflix on my Xbox.

It's probably a little more convenient with it all right on the iPad but that depends on your setup. I don't have an iPad yet do I don't know. I do like the added bonus of instant streaming my own content as well; any video or pictures on my phone. I hope too that more and more apps will integrate it, though I don't know how far along that is yet.

Tobor

You can rent new movies, stream any content you have in iTunes, buy TV shows, and stream Netflix. It's a lot of e same stuff the 360 and PS3 can do, but in the Apple ecosystem.

I prefer the Apple TV Netflix client to the 360s, but everyone has their opinion. And you can't mirror your iPad wirelessly or stream from an iphone to a 360, so there's that. It's also tiny and can be moved from room to room easily if needed.

Consider it a $100 wireless adapter for your iTunes and iOS devices. If that sounds good, then it's an easy purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom