• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Media Event - 1080p AppleTV, 4G/LTE 2048x1536 iPad, same price, Mar 16th

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it seems like this will be branded as iPad HD

ipad-hd-inventory-leak.jpg

1280x720 confirmed.

japtor

Incredibly well defined pixelated sprites. They don't get less pixelated because of retina. In fact, the bigger screen size means MORE pixelation. It'll just be incredibly clean looking.
Nah, it depends how the game is drawing and/or how the OS scales it. Sometimes filtering is added so they get all blurry like Cave games on retina display iPhones, sometimes it's a straight pixel double and stays sharp.
So whats the latest buzz on whether it will have a quad core chip or not? I kind of don't want it to so i won't be as jealous with my puny iPad2, but I'll be picking up the new iPhone later this year so I hope it does. Also I remember seeing someone reporting that it would have LTE which I thought seemed a bit far fetched, no?
The buzz is that it may or may not have quad core. Honestly a fast dual core would probably be better for most uses, like the best possible outcome would be a dual core A15 rather than quad core A9, but I think it's too early for that. Alternative scenarios are highly clocked dual A9s or quad at lower speed. Highly clocked quad would be nice of course...or something magic like Intel's turbo boost stuff.
Not one rumor. Seeing how apple hates styli it makes sense.
For a company that hates styluses they've sure patented a lot of stylus ideas in recent years.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
It should be iPad Pro.

Go iPad and iPad Pro just like Macbook and Macbook Pro.

...btw I called that shit!

Tron 2.0

If true, that actually changes everything.

Potentially you could have an iPad 2S with the A5X chip starting at $499 and the iPad HD (dumb name, iPad Pro makes much more sense) sporting an A6 and retina for a premium.

If true, that actually changes everything.

Potentially you could have an iPad 2S with the A5X chip starting at $499 and the iPad HD (dumb name, iPad Pro makes much more sense) sporting an A6 and retina for a premium.

I need to find that "I CALLED IT" Colbert GIF if that happens

noah111

Still Alive
It should be iPad Pro.

Go iPad and iPad Pro just like Macbook and Macbook Pro.

...btw I called that shit!
Yeah, I would have liked that... though it might not be very 'friendly' consumer wise. I don't really like the HD thing since it makes me think of 1080p, tbh, and this is beyond that. :p

PS. iPad was a tacky as hell name too, if you all can remember. Apple will announce it and it'll grow on people, as usual.

jts

...hate me...
Pro doesn't make sense in the current Apple.

It barely makes sense on their computers. The Mac Pro is as niche is it gets (I for one won't be surprised when they pull the plug on that), and the MacBook Pro could as well be rebranded as MacBook as that line is finished so the Pro moniker doesn't really differentiates it from anything else (the Air has its own name).

Pro makes sense when you have 2 clearly separate lines of products, one more consumer-oriented and other more work-oriented. Apple these days is all about broad appeal, consumer-oriented stuff with advanced features/options (on the software/services side) that can cater to companies too.

iDevices are much more successful than Macintoshes, if anything Apple will take what they learned from the iPad/iPhone/iPod to the Macs and not the opposite.

Cheebo

Banned
Why would they call it Pro when they are getting rid of Pro on MacBooks? MBP are being merged with Air's by all indications and it will be one super slim formfactor. from 11 inch screen through 17 inch screen.

And the Mac Pro desktop is likely being axed. So the Pro name is about to no longer exist. Why suddenly then bring it to iPad?

Pagusas

Elden Member
Why would they call it Pro when they are getting rid of Pro on MacBooks? MBP are being merged with Air's by all indications and it will be one super slim formfactor. from 11 inch screen through 17 inch screen.

And the Mac Pro desktop is likely being axed. So the Pro name is about to no longer exist. Why suddenly then bring it to iPad?

Why would they axe the Mac Pro desktop line? Those are pretty much the goto business sellers for universities and art studios (and home editors)? They have to have a dedicated (non-built in to screen) desktop line for Final Cut and such. No editor wants to work of a standard imac.

Looks like I'll take another ban bet. No way Apple introduces an 8GB iPad 2 and no way this new iPad is called iPad HD or iPad Pro.

It's just so..un-Apple

iPad 3 or bust

kinggroin

Banned
Can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm genuinely very excited for an Apple product.

Need to find a sucker to offload my Xoom on.

Cheebo

Banned
Why would they axe the Mac Pro desktop line? Those are pretty much the goto business sellers for universities and art studios (and home editors)? They have to have a dedicated (non-built in to screen) desktop line for Final Cut and such. No editor wants to work of a standard imac.

It's been heavily rumored it is being fazed out this year.

oatmeal

Banned
It's been heavily rumored it is being fazed out this year.

That was the rumor, but now the talks about NVIDIA cards in the new Mac Pros suggest otherwise. Though I wouldn't be surprised if they did something like what HP is doing with their iMac-like powerstation.

"All of the power without the tower"...that type thing.

Rely on Thunderbird for expansion.

MercuryLS

Banned
It would be cool if they dropped an 8GB iPad 2 and put it on the market for 249 or something. I'd be all over it.

I can see an iPad 2 8gb at $349-$399. People saying that an iPad with 8gb of space is stupid, there are a ton of people that don't even use a fraction of the 16gb space on an iPad. My parents use it for the occasional small app and mostly for email and web browsing. 8gb would be plenty for them. I can see it happening.

Tobor

I can see an iPad 2 8gb at $349-$399. People saying that an iPad with 8gb of space is stupid, there are a ton of people that don't even use a fraction of the 16gb space on an iPad. My parents use it for the occasional small app and mostly for email and web browsing. 8gb would be plenty for them. I can see it happening.

EDIT: NM, I misread your post. I thought you said $249.

DJ88

Why would I care about having a Retina-class Display for my large-screen Television? I only want these Retina-level PPI for hand-held devices, like a phone or tablet. Congrats(?) though, for working my name into a ridiculous premise that you easily dismissed in one fell swoop.
I made the ridiculous example because you're the one who always wants to throw viewing distance out the window when someone tries to tell you that it isn't just about the PPI having to be atleast 300, but that viewing distance also plays a role on whether it's "retina" or not.

(Still don't know why I'm talking about a stupid marketing term Apple invented that has no true definition.)

The reason an 8gb iPad doesn't really make sense:

Apple's pricing scheme is based on the concept of:

1) Perceived value of the space while denying expandability
2) Making gigantic profits off of this perceived value

With the sales so high on 16gb iPad's at $500.. an 8gb iPad at $400, that would lower their cost by like.. 10 cents.. but their profit by 99.90 if someone chose the 8gb over the 9gb..

Does that make business sense? Would enough people go "I haven't bought an iPad yet, but now that they have one at $400 I'm buying it!" to make it worth the potential loss in profits?

muu

The reason an 8gb iPad doesn't really make sense:

Apple's pricing scheme is based on the concept of:

1) Perceived value of the space while denying expandability
2) Making gigantic profits off of this perceived value

With the sales so high on 16gb iPad's at $500.. an 8gb iPad at $400, that would lower their cost by like.. 10 cents.. but their profit by 99.90 if someone chose the 8gb over the 9gb..

Does that make business sense? Would enough people go "I haven't bought an iPad yet, but now that they have one at $400 I'm buying it!" to make it worth the potential loss in profits?

They probably won't do anything until they can make a lower-power ipad @ 299 or lower. Like you said, 400 is just going to eat into profits w/o being a real counter to the price shocker that Kindle Fire was.

MercuryLS

Banned
EDIT: NM, I misread your post. I thought you said $249.

I don't see Apple going anywhere near $199-$249, they don't really have to IMO. $299-399 would be as low as they're going to go I bet (and I don't think they'll hit $299 until they make an iPad Mini).

They probably won't do anything until they can make a lower-power ipad @ 299 or lower. Like you said, 400 is just going to eat into profits w/o being a real counter to the price shocker that Kindle Fire was.

Yeah.. well.. profit margins are so high on existing devices I'm not so sure they'll ever release a lower priced iPad. It offers up a much less profitable option to consumers that might have just buckled and bought a $500+ device anyways.

Unless I'm wrong on gauging their profit margins, and the costs of "lower powered" components.. it doesn't necessarily make sense for them. Especially when they are so vastly outselling the cheaper devices as is. Clearly not that many people are going "I really want an iPad, but I bought something cheaper instead."

A huge percentage of non-Apple tablet purchasers simply won't buy Apple products no matter what their price.

Cheebo

Banned
Apple is not going to confuse things. In terms of wi-fi models I highly doubt it will not match this:

iPad 2 16 GB - 399
iPad 3 16 GB - 499
iPad 3 32 GB - 599
iPad 3 64 GB - 699

And that is it (other than 3G/LTE).

Apple is not going to confuse things. In terms of wi-fi models I highly doubt it will not match this:

iPad 2 16 GB - 399
iPad 3 16 GB - 499
iPad 3 32 GB - 599
iPad 3 64 GB - 699

I think this is a decent assumption.

Other than they might just stop selling iPad 2's, and have no $400 option.

Heel

iPad 2 16 GB - 399
iPad 3 16 GB - 499
iPad 3 32 GB - 599
iPad 3 64 GB - 699

This makes sense, but there's so many "rumors" to the contrary out there. I think changing the naming and pricing conventions would be a mistake and confuse consumers.

NawidA

Banned

iPad 2 16 GB - 399
iPad 3 16 GB - 499
iPad 3 32 GB - 599
iPad 3 64 GB - 699

Yup. Anyone thinking Apple needs to drop prices is high as fuck.

Chris R

MacRumors makes it look like there might be new Mac Pros next week as well...

I'd totally buy a Mac Pro if they had "consumer grade" Ivy Bridge chips in them instead of "professional/workstation grade" Xeons and were only marked up ~20%

8GB seems way too small for iPad uses, it's bad enough on an ipod touch, even 16 seems to be stretching it with HD versions of games.

Zyzyxxz

MacRumors makes it look like there might be new Mac Pros next week as well...

I'd totally buy a Mac Pro if they had "consumer grade" Ivy Bridge chips in them instead of "professional/workstation grade" Xeons and were only marked up ~20%

Xeon was a dumb decision and a waste of money. Intels consumer grade processors are already amazing enough as it is and fast enough for almost anything most people could need.

diehard

Fleer
Xeon was a dumb decision and a waste of money. Intels consumer grade processors are already amazing enough as it is and fast enough for almost anything most people could need.

Only Xeon's support dual socket systems, which 2 of the 3 configurations are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom