• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Media Event - 1080p AppleTV, 4G/LTE 2048x1536 iPad, same price, Mar 16th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
You can rent new movies, stream any content you have in iTunes, buy TV shows, and stream Netflix. It's a lot of e same stuff the 360 and PS3 can do, but in the Apple ecosystem.

I prefer the Apple TV Netflix client to the 360s, but everyone has their opinion. And you can't mirror your iPad wirelessly or stream from an iphone to a 360, so there's that. It's also tiny and can be moved from room to room easily if needed.

Consider it a $100 wireless adapter for your iTunes and iOS devices. If that sounds good, then it's an easy purchase.

Hmm. I'll have an iPad 3 soon, and am planning to upgrade to the iPhone 5 from my Droid X, so the ability to stream video and music to my TV alone may be worth it. No monthly fee right?

In the US, the 8GB iPhone 3GS and 8GB iPhone 4 is more popular than all higher capacity Galaxy phones, and the 8GB Kindle Fire is more popular than all higher capacity Android tablets.

To me that just says people just want an iPhone irrespective of what capacity is offered by rival products.

giga

New Apple TV (no, not that kind of Apple TV) looks like a go: http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/2/28...ortages-appear-sources-say-new-model-imminent

According to sources (as well as Apple Store stock counters), the current Apple TV is becoming increasingly sparse at stores around the country, with most locations reporting no availability at all right now. More tellingly, at all of the stores where the device is out of stock, availability is listed as starting on or after March 7th — the day of Apple's big iPad event — which seems to suggest that something new is indeed coming.

tvstock.jpg

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
I use the 'DNS trick' to get the US Netflix on my UK PS3, I suppose it would work with any device that lets you change DNS settings. So there's a way of getting US shows for a fiver a month, instead of feeding the Murdoch family.

I use the 'DNS trick' to get the US Netflix on my UK PS3, I suppose it would work with any device that lets you change DNS settings. So there's a way of getting US shows for a fiver a month, instead of feeding the Murdoch family.

Cool. Does US Netflix have the latest stuff? Like Luck, Modern Family, etc etc?

Pagusas

Elden Member
Can't take it anymore. New Apple TV would be icing on the Cake.

Only 5 more sleeps!

Only 5 more days till you get to hear about a product you can buy sometime in the near future. Anyone else ever feel like being excited over such things is almost sad? I mean I'm guilty of it too so I'm not singularly pointing you out. Just I wonder sometimes with all the amazing things in life, people get excited over a retail product. It more and more seems like life revolves around commercial products, rather than real life experiences.

LCfiner

Only 5 more days till you get to hear about a product you can buy sometime in the near future. Anyone else ever feel like being excited over such things is almost sad? I mean I'm guilty of it too so I'm not singularly pointing you out. Just I wonder sometimes with all the amazing things in life, people get excited over a retail product. It more and more seems like life revolves around commercial products, rather than real life experiences.

YOUR A REAL LIFE EXPERIENCE!

No, it's not sad. It's people being genuinely excited about a new product that's come out. That's a good thing! Speaking for myself, my life does not revolve around commercial products. They are important for sure and I care about having a good one, but they're just tools. I am getting married in 3 weeks, the iPad 3 can eat my ass until after then :)

(It's still rad though and I will be F5ing the internet during the keynote :) )

No, it's not sad. It's people being genuinely excited about a new product that's come out. That's a good thing! Speaking for myself, my life does not revolve around commercial products. They are important for sure and I care about having a good one, but they're just tools. I am getting married in 3 weeks, the iPad 3 can eat my ass until after then :)

Agreed! Hope it all goes well for you sir. (The wedding, not the keynote... although I hope the keynote goes well too.)

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Wait, what? I can go to the Purchased section of the App Store on my iPhone and redownload apps that have since been removed from the store... No need for iTunes
Apps that have been fully removed by Apple/ex-developers are no longer in the purchased section. I have plenty of apps in iTunes that are no longer available for purchase nor available to re-download due to either ToS infringement or licenses having expired.

Vyer

It's possible to get excited about more than one thing in life. :p

Congrats!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2012/03/ipads-using-ios-6-high-res-displays-showing-up-in-ars-server-logs.ars

ipad-logs-4f50f4e-intro.png

Ars said:
Are employees at Apple already using the so-called iPad 3—possibly running iOS 6—to surf the Web ahead of its expected announcement on March 7? We're not sure, but the Ars magic 8-ball says "signs point to yes."

While digging through our logs in preparation for our monthly browser stat report, we found 346 visits from a device with a screen resolution of 2048x1536—the exact resolution rumored for the "retina" display in the next-generation iPad. Although a screen resolution by itself isn't much to go on, a quick search around the Web indicates that there are very few devices in current use that have this same resolution. (There is a $5,000 NEC display for medical use with that resolution.)

But to add to this discovery, we began looking at iPad user agents coming from Apple's corporate IP block in Cupertino and discovered that Apple appears to surfing the Web using iPads running what looks like iOS 6.0. The whole listing shows iPads running iOS 5, iOS 5.0.1 (the current public release), iOS 5.1 (the upcoming release currently available to developers), and iOS 6. The iPads that appear to be running iOS 6 are also using a slightly newer build of WebKit—the older OSes all show WebKit 534.46, while the ones claiming to be iOS 6 show WebKit build 535.8.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Does it do 1080p MKV's?

ATV2s are limited to 720p output. They can decode 1080p video but they will output at 720p. 1080p performance is spotty, with H264 (which is hardware accelerated on the ATV2) doing better than many other encoding options. I would not recommend an ATV2 for 1080p MKVs.

I'm looking forward to seeing what iOS6 has in store. Hopefully they'll take another crack at multitask switching and completely rethink Springboard.

Now's the perfect time to break down the old UI paradigms and go for something fresh.

Zeth

iOS 6 would be an amazing announcement. Don't think many people are expecting it yet. Hopefully they will do something exciting with app switching/management. With the new display there are countless possibilities, including running more than one app on screen simultaneously.

re: excitement about retail products: I feel no shame. There's nothing wrong with getting super excited about stuff like this, especially when it's the most fun and interesting part of technology as a hobby/interest.

JCreasy

ATV2s are limited to 720p output. They can decode 1080p video but they will output at 720p. 1080p performance is spotty, with H264 (which is hardware accelerated on the ATV2) doing better than many other encoding options. I would not recommend an ATV2 for 1080p MKVs.

If my plasma only goes as high 1080i, is it worth upgrading to the rumored Apple TV, soon to be announced, that'll do 1080p? Or should I just stick with what I have (ATV2) until the real iTelevision comes out?

Can't that just mean A6 and not iOS 6? Probably not but still, I'd be surprised if iPad 3 came with iOS 6, tbh.

It won't launch with iOS6. It's not surprising these are showing up considering the next iOS will likely be revealed in June. You'd think they would have a good amount of work put into it already...at least on the testing side of things.

That said...weren't iOS reveals sometime in April/May in previous years before moving to WWDC in 2011?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

Which is what I thought. Here's hoping that AT3 will have the extra muscle to power those 1080p videos.

Pagusas

Elden Member

Congrats! and I probably phrased what I was trying to say all wrong. But I do agree, it is nice to be get excited for things. I think I just have an image of the stereotype in my head that only shows true excitement when Jobs is on stage announcing something, and cant seem to muster up the same excitement elsewhere. Regardless you guys are right, it shouldnt be a bad thing to get excited for something.

So I spontaneously picked up a Playbook last night, needed my tablet fix. I like it way, way more than I thought I would. Great tablet for the price, some fantasitc touches and UI paradigms. Performance is also great, flash is very smooth, etc. Was planning on trying it out then returning it, but now thinking of keeping it.

Pagusas

Elden Member
So I spontaneously picked up a Playbook last night, needed my tablet fix. I like it way, way more than I thought I would. Great tablet for the price, some fantasitc touches and UI paradigms. Performance is also great, flash is very smooth, etc. Was planning on trying it out then returning it, but now thinking of keeping it.

Pros's/Con's vs iPad?

numble

It won't launch with iOS6. It's not surprising these are showing up considering the next iOS will likely be revealed in June. You'd think they would have a good amount of work put into it already...at least on the testing side of things.

That said...weren't iOS reveals sometime in April/May in previous years before moving to WWDC in 2011?

Yeah, they used to be in April and May.

I guess since they are going to do yearly OS X updates, the WWDC keynote will be all about OS X and iOS updates. It actually seems to not be too bad to have a huge event dedicated to software, in hindsight.

iOS 6 would be an amazing announcement. Don't think many people are expecting it yet. Hopefully they will do something exciting with app switching/management. With the new display there are countless possibilities, including running more than one app on screen simultaneously.

re: excitement about retail products: I feel no shame. There's nothing wrong with getting super excited about stuff like this, especially when it's the most fun and interesting part of technology as a hobby/interest.
Er.. how exactly does the new display open up the possibility of multiple apps on screen at once?

Pagusas

Elden Member
Er.. how exactly does the new display open up the possibility of multiple apps on screen at once?

you could split the screen in landscape mode and have the applications dynamically resizing there interface to allow side by side opperation. Like having the youtube app open to the right while browsing a web page to the left. A 3 fingered swipe or other gesture could close/minimze the 2nd opened app when your done with it.

Pros's/Con's vs iPad?

Wow, where do I start.. keep in mind this is a $199 device. From my impressions so far:

Pros:

Hardware:
- Much lighter, more portable size. Can be used in situations where an iPad might be unwieldy
- back material feels fantastic to the touch (rubberish)
- Display seems much sharper than current iPad (dpi)and just nicer overall
- Tap/swipe screen to unlock, which is nice and much quicker than finding the button each time
- notification light, which I find useful
-back camera much higher quality than current iPad

Software
-gorgeous, modern UI
- multitasking is superior to iPad IMO. Similar to webOS but smoother
- bezel gestures extremely well implemented. Used for app switching like Win8. Swipe to switch, close, etc.
- Email client is great. Better Rich text editing than iOS client. Great integration with FB, twitter, linkedin, etc.
- ncier Notification implementation (like WebOS, android)
- settings panel per app well implemented with bezel gesture.
-Flash- Smoothest implementation Ive seen yet on a tablet, extremely smooth and non buggy. Handles 720/1080 youtube HD.
-Keyboard is fantastic

Cons:

Hardware:
-Screen size. 7" obviously fits much less content.
- Build quality is fantastic, but probably a notch lower than iPad
- 16:9- I prefer 4:3 myself, as portrait is pretty much useless
- Pretty large bezel relative to screen size
- Great performance, but obviously less juice than iPad

Software:
- OS might have a slightly higher learning curve for less technically inclined
- Cloud syncing- for those with iPhones, macs, or in the Apple ecosystem etc lack of iCloud is pretty significant.
- Apps: This is, far and away, the biggest issue. App ecosystem is simply incomparable to iOS. Major apps like skype, google apps, etc not even available. Haven't tested Android apps yet, but from what I've read very limited selection. This is the biggest knock, especially if one is interested in doing tasks beyond web-browsing, email ,etc.

Honestly this had more things Ive liked over iOS than I expected. The form factor, hardware, and OS is fantastic for the price. Due to the smaller size and lack of healthy app ecosystem, this can never be an iPad replacement. In and of itself, it's a great product, and price is a massive factor. Hope that helped, but keep in mind its based on a couple hrs of usage.

Presco

If my plasma only goes as high 1080i, is it worth upgrading to the rumored Apple TV, soon to be announced, that'll do 1080p? Or should I just stick with what I have (ATV2) until the real iTelevision comes out?

This is exactly my own debate. I've dropped cable and gone Apple TV only. One in the living room (720p TV) and one in the bedroom (24' 1080p monitor). I'm planning on upgrading the TV in the living room and was considering waiting for the iTV which will undoubtedly have Apple TV incorporated. I think I'm keeping my current ATV2s and getting my first iPad barring some unforeseen awesome ATV3 announcement. I'm expecting 1080p and not much else.

Whether or not your displays are 1080p you'll benefit from a better ATV.

You could still end up with videos that are 1080p, that the ATV will struggle with.

Hell, the ATV2 at times struggles with 720p video, in my experience.. although it is still superior to other devices.. hell, it's superior at streaming across a network to my decently powered laptop.

I'm personally hoping for an ATV3 that has some form of iOS support and it's own App ecosystem.

I recently bought a rather powerful PC to hook up to my main living room TV.. and my poor wittle Apple TV has been relegated to just being a pretty little puck that never gets turned on. ATV3 might change that if it actually has apps, but not sure.. my PC has apps too ;)

shira

you could split the screen in landscape mode and have the applications dynamically resizing there interface to allow side by side opperation. Like having the youtube app open to the right while browsing a web page to the left. A 3 fingered swipe or other gesture could close/minimze the 2nd opened app when your done with it.
Nice, but it would crash like no tomorrow. Would it be limited to apps it knows it could handle. I'm thinking the iPad 1 can barely handle Safari and something else.

How does that have anything to do with the new display? They could have done this for the iPad 2 if they wanted.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Is anyone else selling their iPad 2? I'm not sure how much I should put my 16GB white for.

I sold my 32GB w/Leather Smart Cover for $490 a week ago. Unfortunately the clock is ticking (and potentially expired) on getting a solid price for your iPad at this point.

I'd guess for 16GB you'd reasonably expect to get something like $300-$350 if you act fast. Anything past Wednesday is going to be insane drops if the rumors of the Apple price cut is true.

Tobor

They're not going to do this.

How does that have anything to do with the new display? They could have done this for the iPad 2 if they wanted.

And they are all 4:3 screens.. that when split up the middle, become 3:2 screens...

That'd be some odd scaling, or specific coding needed on any iOS device. Or they'd have to have part of the screen not being used by the apps.

And it would be only possible if iOS 6 comes with real multi-tasking.. which I don't see happening. I really don't think true multi-tasking is all that important for iOS, but I could be missing the boat on that.

noah111

Still Alive
They're not going to do this.
Yeah, as much as I would want something like that (ala Windows 8 side-by-side fullscreen features) I don't think it'll be happening any time soon.

Instead, they'll continue to improve on the multitasking and app switching abilities, like bringing mission control/espose to iOS in some form. That is a more likely prospect, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom