• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 will be released on November 18th (PS4, Xbox One, PC, 360, PS3)

Dawg

BnskVxSIQAABU9j.jpg

ehehehe

https://twitter.com/agentbizzle/status/467006943853154304

Gator86

I hope the hero is not some "white saviour" again...

It'll probably be another white savior power fantasy. Just don't make the protagonist another frat douchebag like FC3. I was rooting for the main character and his friends to die the entire game. Bro, do you even define insanity?

He's right though. There's a white, blonde rich-looking western man who's toying with the life of an Asian man, clearly deemed inferior from their postures. Obviously we'll need to see some of the game to understand motivations, context etc, but just from that box art there's an obvious racial dynamic involved.

You are also completely insane.

Furyous

I'm there off gp.

There's more than likely, in my opinion, first person climbing. You have to account for the cold as well so base building hopefully comes into play. Now that I think about it, we should have to craft coats and shoes. Hopefully there aren't any sharks.

bebop242

wow, between Diablo, Drive Club, Destiny, Last of Us, the probable GTA5 and this......its going to be a busy end of the year. Can't wait.

sucks to see it's cross gen :(

Why does this matter btw? The engine scales really well from low end video cards to high end enthusiast cards, so they are releasing the game on those old consoles. PC gamers with old rigs will also be able to enjoy the game.

If anything playing on those older machines will make them realize how behind the the times they are (after they play the game at sub 720p res that runs at 20 fps) and it will make them invest in a better machine

Salsa

sounds like far cry 3 again

also, if they themselves don't sound excited about their announcement how am I supposed to be

Timmy00

Sweet, will pick this up digitally on the PS3 unless I get a PS4 by the time it comes out.
It's a waste of time to create PS360 versions, though. FC3 was one of the worst performing console games we've seen in the last decade. Just an awful frame-rate.

It's certainly a waste of time for you but not for many other people :)

"Write their own story" lol.

I'd rather they just have gotten someone decent to write the story, one that doesn't cast you as a total dickbag and can actually structure a good story.

Can't remember where I read that but rumor is its the BLOOD DRAGON writer working on the game and not the dude who wrote FC3. If true, I'm interested.

FC3's main character and his group of friends were just beyond terrible. Zero redeeming values to the lot which is hard when you're mission is to save them.

Pillville

Why does this matter btw? The engine scales really well from low end video cards to high end enthusiast cards, so they are releasing the game on those old consoles. PC gamers with old rigs will also be able to enjoy the game.

If anything playing on those older machines will make them realize how behind the the times they are (after they play the game at sub 720p res that runs at 20 fps) and it will make them invest in a better machine

There's more to machines than graphics. A new console generation used to mean big leaps in game design, game play, A.I., graphics, etc...

I feel like I just payed all that money for a incremental graphics upgrade.

Can't remember where I read that but rumor is its the BLOOD DRAGON writer working on the game and not the dude who wrote FC3. If true, I'm interested.

FC3's main character and his group of friends were just beyond terrible. Zero redeeming values to the lot which is hard when you're mission is to save them.

If true, awesome! Blood Dragon was great. Had a great, funny main character too. I hope they're doing a full-length Blood Dragon 2.

But yeah, I hope they get a better writer for Far Cry 4.

Vico

Gameplay reveal to open the conference, I guess.
Not surprising, Just like three years ago with Far Cry 3. I really thought they would wait E3 for simply announcing the game, though.

Now the question is whether the new Pirates IP will be unveiled this year or later (because this has to happen after AC's naval open-world success).

Lakitu

st5fu
Please ditch the shitty va of the minor NPCs. The setting looks great though, I do hope it's more like Far Cry 2 (minus the respawning roadblocks) and less like Far Cry 3 though.

Aces&Eights

So the villain is Saul Goodman from Breaking Bad, only a different haircut? Please tell me I'm not the only one seeing it.

Can't unsee. ...

OT: Here's hoping there is not a serious amount of aggro involved in moving around steep mountains. Also, not one word of moneyhats? Thats...weird. quick vote: will we get a "only on playstation" ad that reveals that the Sony version has guns unlike the other guys version who only has rocks to use as weapons? Or will we see a "only on xbox" ad that says it's the only platform that doesn't have mandatory inverted axis for aiming?

Okay I don't care how badass an evil guy is supposed to be..It doesn't make sense that he's pulled a grenade pin and is sitting right next to guy holding the active grenade >_<.

Bricky

One should look at how the dunia engine performed on a 7850 (PS4) and 7770 (Xbo) to get a rough idea how this game will look and run on PS4 or Xbox One.

60 FPS is out of the question imo unless they decide to go with low settings and a low resolution

That's not accouting for optimization on consoles and the fact that in actually ran pretty well on those cards in my memory. But fair enough, I agree chances aren't amazing it'll be 60FPS now that I've thought more about it than in a quick post. Especially since I didn't know Far Cry 3 itself already ran like crap on past-gen consoles.

And as we all know, Ram is the only thing that matters.

I didn't say that or acted like that was the case at all, but that aside; of course it matters and especially for an open world game. If you can't see why you shouldn't act like you know more about RAM than the general GAF-user does. More RAM = more temporary storage space = better textures, bigger worlds, more assets, less pop-in, and so on. It's way easier to get a big open explorable world running at a decent resolution with nice framerate when you have 8GB instead of the small amount the 360 and the PS3 gave developers (unless you're some miracle coder like Rockstar and are capable of doing that on a 360/PS3 anyway somehow).

So yeah, putting a cross-gen game from a platform where it couldn't even use more than half a gig of RAM to one where it has 8GB to use will make a big difference to how it will run.

E: That is not to say the GPU/CPU of the PS4/XBO won't do the biggest part of the work, but that isn't my point.

Gameplay reveal to open the conference, I guess.
Not surprising, Just like three years ago with Far Cry 3. I really thought they would wait E3 for simply announcing the game, though.

And when they showed Far Cry 3 it came out more than a year later. I'm happily surprised this is coming out this year already!

They should make the main protagonist Nepalese or Indian or something. Ubi's been... more decent than most when it comes to casting non-white folks as their game protagonists (well... in Assassin's Creed anyways). The main character here could easily be a Nepalese ex-pat or an Indian trapped in the Himalayas.

Okay I don't care how badass an evil guy is supposed to be..It doesn't make sense that he's pulled a grenade pin and is sitting right next to guy holding the active grenade >_<.

Don't you see!? It's cause he's crazy and twisted and represents the chaos of war! How deep!

mrpeabody

Yes. So glad that the rumors about the Himalayas were true. Day one on PC.

And guys, please, he's Asian.

Looks white to me. But if it's a light-skinned Asian dude dominating a dark-skinned dude, is that any different? (Maybe? idk.)

Hypothetical race assignments aside, I think it's interesting that they emphasized the theme of "power over others" so strongly in their cover art. It's about as explicit as it could possibly be. Blondie is sitting on a throne, forcing the other guy to kneel in front of him, eyes down, holding a grenade to which Blondie has the pin. You couldn't really describe that relationship any other way than "slavery".

Makes you wonder what they have in mind for the story.

Frillen

Call me crazy, insult me, whatever -- but the ONLY reason I don't ever plan on buying Far Cry 4 is that it's a 'cross-gen' game, meaning that it wasn't built from the ground up to utilize the full power and potential of the PlayStation 4 and/or Xbox One.

What a shame. :(

You're the new type of graphics whores that I don't like. Putting graphics in front of gameplay. Just because it's cross gen doesn't mean it's going to be a bad game. It's just as bad as people not buying Watch Dogs because it's 900p and not 1080p. What the hell is wrong with people?

They still have to restrict the design of the game so it will run on those old consoles. We basically get what would be pc ports.

Nethaniah

You're the new type of graphics whores that I don't like. Putting graphics in front of gameplay. Just because it's cross gen doesn't mean it's going to be a bad game. It's just as bad as people not buying Watch Dogs because it's 900p and not 1080p. What the hell is wrong with people?

This game is being made for machines that had their limits reached game design wise years ago.

PS4 / Xbone / PC confirmed for last-gen games with prettier textures / effects instead of bigger / denser worlds.

Awesome news! I'm so stoked that it's coming this year. As strange as it sounds, I actually kind of wish it was announced at Ubisoft's E3 press conference. That would've been a really fun reveal/great moment.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.

Yea. It made me sooooo mad playing AC4 on PS4, knowing that people were enjoying it on PS3 too!!! ughhhh, why are people holding me back from my fun.

Green Yoshi

Wat

I certainly hope that's the case.

It's a waste of time to create PS360 versions, though. FC3 was one of the worst performing console games we've seen in the last decade. Just an awful frame-rate.

That's true for the PS3-version, but the Xbox 360-version is running decent enough.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like a Far Cry 3-2. My interest has decreased greatly until we find out more after I disliked FC3 so much.

Pillville

That person never mentioned graphics.
A graphics whore they would be fine with cross gen because the graphics are the ONLY benefit the PS4/XB1 version will have over the PS360 version.

Nethaniah

That's true for the PS3-version, but the Xbox 360-version is running decent enough.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-far-cry-3-face-off

''Even so, travelling around the islands by either foot or car still gives us wavering readings on both consoles, mostly circulating around the 25FPS point. This is usually a little higher on 360, though the juddering sensation feels largely comparable between the two at these levels of refresh. However, the regular, high levels of tearing prove to be the greater issue here. ''

Looks white to me. But if it's a light-skinned Asian dude dominating a dark-skinned dude, is that any different? (Maybe? idk.)

Hypothetical race assignments aside, I think it's interesting that they emphasized the theme of "power over others" so strongly in their cover art. It's about as explicit as it could possibly be. Blondie is sitting on a throne, forcing the other guy to kneel in front of him, eyes down, holding a grenade to which Blondie has the pin. You couldn't really describe that relationship any other way than "slavery".

Makes you wonder what they have in mind for the story.

Maybe they took the Far Cry 3 'racist overtones' criticisms to heart, and we're getting Django Unchained in the Himalayan mountains.

V9Y60g0.gif

c2DLobb.gif

django+unchained.jpeg

But... with Asian folks.

meanspartan

I think that because the Ps360 are HD consoles, this cross-gen era is going to last longer than previous ones. Expect games being held back for another year or two. Thankfully, some titles like Arkham Knight are ditching the 2005 tech.

Top Bottom