• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reuters: Entire Senate to Attend Briefing on North Korea at White House

Status
Not open for further replies.
My grandfather was tortured by the North Koreans. They made him watch as they tortured his best friend to death. Meanwhile our President, a coward and a thief, was busy making millions by scamming ordinary Americans.

I don't know how much lower my patriotism can sink. The thought of thousands of innocent South Koreans dying so that Trump can pretend to be a courageous leader for once fills me with rage.

Those poor, poor economically anxious, pacifist non-racists. They were obviously duped by a skillfully deceitful man! Who could've seen this coming?!

Actually, his most racist supporters are, generally, the ones against intervention. They want a totally isolationist based United States. Duke, and a lot of other Neo-Nazi/Klan people jumped off the Trump train when he did the Syria strikes. Even Alex Jones was disheartened even if he didn't outright jump off.

JordanN

Banned
The US is not worried about NK launching a nuke. They're worried about NK emerging as an untouchable minor power who can throw their weight around in the world because they have the threat of a nuke.

Imagine a NK that becomes a major player on the world stage. You can strangle it in the crib now (within the next half decade).... or regret it forever more. What do you do?

But with what military or projection force? They have a large ground army but it's completely sandwiched between two countries, and I doubt China is going to let a million North Korean soldiers just trod anywhere.

And again, the country is incredibly dated. Pyongyang barely has electricity as it is. There's no reason to be scared of them.

KingBroly

Banned
The US is not worried about NK launching a nuke. They're worried about NK emerging as an untouchable minor power who can throw their weight around in the world because they have the threat of a nuke.

Imagine a NK that becomes a major player on the world stage. You can strangle it in the crib now (within the next half decade).... or regret it forever more. What do you do?

What happens with NK will send a message to Iran as well.

The immediate risk with attacking NK isn't them attacking China or Japan or the US. It's NK attacking Seoul. If it weren't for Seoul, they'd have been taken out long before now.

Sulik2

He cant actually go to war, right? Seoul would be doomed the moment it starts

If you are going to preemptively strike the first think you should hit is every weapon you show on satellite that is pointed towards Seoul to try and minimize damage to the city as much as possible.

He is just trying to look Presidential and distract, means nothing. He doesn't need permission to strike.

I may be mistaken here, but I thought the President was constitutional obligated to ask Congress for a strike. I know Obama did in 2012 for a strike on Syria, and that was one of the things that was brought as Trump not doing properly on his Syria strikes. Am I incorrect?

If you are going to preemptively strike the first think you should hit is every weapon you show on satellite that is pointed towards Seoul to try and minimize damage to the city as much as possible.

That makes sense

Lets do this. Only scary thing is its the dumbass Trump thats the commander

jelly

He can do whatever he wants. We're still technically at war with NK, and even if we weren't, there's ways around that.

Isn't the war with NK more a police action through the UN or something. I don't think they actually declared war as silly as that sounds, on paper and all that.

That's nice. They'll be threatening your country full of innocent people with a nuke in 3-5 years.

More likely it'd be China and SK that would be in danger, not the US. The US is too far away from NK.

I also don't really think China will let themselves be bullied by NK. Nuclear weapons or not.

I'm as nervous about Trump as anyone...

But I think we'd be seeing confrontation with NK right now, no matter who is in office.

This is happening because of NK's advancing nuclear capability, not because Trump initiated anything.

Good thing we elected the right person for the job. Better yet, good thing the media covered these angles so extensively during the campaign so we could make an informed choice on such grave matters.

jelly

I may be mistaken here, but I thought the President was constitutional obligated to ask Congress for a strike. I know Obama did in 2012 for a strike on Syria, and that was one of the things that was brought as Trump not doing properly on his Syria strikes. Am I incorrect?

They're suppose to get permission but rarely do so a lot of wars are unconstitutional or something.

wildfire

Banned
I'm as nervous about Trump as anyone...

But I think we'd be seeing confrontation with NK right now, no matter who is in office.

This is happening because of NK's advancing nuclear capability, not because Trump initiated anything.

I think the 3 year minimum assessment of experts is really conservative so I feel Trump is jumping the gun because he is Trump and always reacts badly and impulsively to bad news but 3 years is still within his administration time.

I would've preferred he got impeached and let his replacement deal with it.

Effect

He cant actually go to war, right? Seoul would be doomed the moment it starts

That's the thing many people have been saying. He doesn't give a fuck. He's to stupid as well to really understand the fallout that would take place. He's likely got the military in his ear pushing him more and more because he himself is incapable of really thinking deeply on this situation. That's one of my worse fears about trump. Him being lead by the military because they're not being kept on a leash by a president capable of understanding the political, civilian, and economic fallout of military action. Add that to trump not understanding that words actually matter at this stage he's at and his words are actually making things worse. trump has no idea what nuance is and this is a situation that requires it.

geomon

The only reason to do this is to talk about options when it comes to war powers of the presidency. And the only reason to do it in private like this instead of calling for a session of congress is to keep it private and off the congressional record.

4Tran

Congress reserves the right to declare war. But since US presidents have decided that formally declaring war is unnecessary, Trump doesn't need permission from Congress to do squat. He didn't even consult Congress before launching the attack on Syria.

wildfire

Banned
Good thing we elected the right person for the job. Better yet, good thing the media covered these angles so extensively during the campaign so we could make an informed choice on such grave matters.

I wondered if anyone discussed it.

Google says it was but the number of articles is pathetic even when NK did a test and Obama threatened them last year.

Not one article made a case about what Hillary and Trump might do. They have failed us and themselves terribly.

Tovarisc

The only reason to do this is talk about options when it comes to war powers of the presidency. And the only reason to do it in private like this instead of calling for a session of congress is to keep it private and off the congressional record.

I doubt what was discussed will remain as secret for too long after meeting is over. It contents of discussion doesn't get leaked it's some very heavy stuff.

Zolo

You think Trump would care?

He cares about his image. It's just a matter of if he's smart enough that Seoul getting shelled would mean the casualties and fallout of such an event would be on every news station in the country with him having to justify why it happened.

They're suppose to get permission but rarely do so a lot of wars are unconstitutional or something.

It's complicated.

Current precedence allows the president to have pretty wide latitude when it comes to military action without Congress' support/approval.

Now, the War Powers Act does try to reign this in a bit by establish timelines for notification and permissions by Congress. BUT, the executive branch has never recognized the legality of the WPA, and it has yet to be tested in court for its constitutionality.

I would like the public to know what they are discussing

I would want to know what they have on North Korea before I just react to Trump being Trump

4Tran

The only reason to do this is to talk about options when it comes to war powers of the presidency. And the only reason to do it in private like this instead of calling for a session of congress is to keep it private and off the congressional record.
You don't call for a meeting with the entire Senate just to discuss options. If Trump was interested in that he'd talk to just the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

Pakistan has nukes. Any attempt at throwing their weight around would be met with laughter. Same goes for NK. And Pakistanis actually went and sold nuclear tech to other countries.

Your threats mean shit when everybody knows you'll cease to exist if you ever try to carry them out. That's how MAD works.

Congress has the power to declare war and there's the War Powers Resolution. There's a couple requirements but they have been ignored before without legal ramifications for the president. The Legislative branch could be competitive if they grew a backbone (lol) but right now the Executive branch has steamrolled them. Some streamlining of the process was due to the necessity of a quick response to nuclear missiles being thrown around but other parts seem to be just plain ol' power grabbing.

Pakistan has nukes. Any attempt at throwing their weight around would be met with laughter. Same goes for NK. And Pakistanis actually went and sold nuclear tech to other countries.

Your threats mean shit when everybody knows you'll cease to exist if you ever try to carry them out. That's how MAD works.

Exactly.

KingBroly

Banned
I would like the public to know what they are discussing

I would want to know what they have on North Korea before I just react to Trump being Trump

If they're bringing all 100 Senators to the White House, it means the Executive Branch believes they don't believe the Congressional Building is secure enough for what's going to be discussed.

This is EXTREMELY rare.

cirrhosis

If we go ahead and attack in some fashion without clearing it with RoK, they'll demand us to withdraw from the country. I know 45 is a monumental tool but I can't see him going forward with a strike if the risk is costing us an ally.

Surely the Senate isn't stupid enough to enable Grand Korean Boogaloo Part 2.

If they're bringing all 100 Senators to the White House, it means the Executive Branch believes they don't believe the Congressional Building is secure enough for what's going to be discussed.

This is EXTREMELY rare.

this White House is leaky af
so they are not solving a security issue here

Ted 'make the sand glow' Cruz probably wouldn't have been any better

giphy.gif

Jim-Carrey-Disgusting.gif

Hazmat

Isn't the war with NK more a police action through the UN or something. I don't think they actually declared war as silly as that sounds, on paper and all that.

Correct. The US hasn't officially been at war with anyone since the end of WW2. War was not declared for Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan, or Iraq 2. South Korea and North Korea are I believe still technically at war, though.

And Trump absolutely can act without congressional approval.

They just need to keep Trump off the phone with Kim Jong-un. If he talks to the dude you just know that after the call Trump will be calling on us to partner with North Korea in order to crush South Korea.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

I mean what you just said applies both ways, you could never attack NK if you ever needed to because of MAD. You can't push a nuclear NK around either.

Though I suppose the west already feels like they can't attack NK because of the threat to Seoul. But with nuclear capability, you really wouldn't have the option.

I do think Pakistan is a good comparison though. That's what I mean by minor power. No NK wouldn't become like China or Russia.

Xando

The mental gymnastics people will go through to say china should take care of the humanitarian crisis the US will create by attacking NK is going to be interesting

That's nice. They'll be threatening your country full of innocent people with a nuke in 3-5 years.

Just like the US, the russians, the british, the pakistani, the chinese, the israelis, the french and india. Ever heard of MAD?

shiba5

I doubt what was discussed will remain as secret for too long after meeting is over. It contents of discussion doesn't get leaked it's some very heavy stuff.

Screw the DHS rainbow warning. What we need is a 1% tracker for when they start fleeing to their bunkers.

JZA

I thought it couldn't get worse than having to be part of a deployment under Bush Jr., now I can't believe we're here. Both the Commander in Chief and the prospective conflict are worse.

Correct. The US hasn't officially been at war with anyone since the end of WW2. War was not declared for Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan, or Iraq 2. South Korea and North Korea are I believe still technically at war, though.

And Trump absolutely can act without congressional approval.

...Oh, yeah, that's technically a point. There's only an armistice in agreement - no actual peace was signed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom