• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
It's a real bummer that amazon prime's putting that extra paywall for anime strike and netflix is still waiting until shows complete before streaming them.

Never thought I'd be seeing legal anime streaming taking a step backward like this.

Katsugeki Touken Ranbu 01

DDuWE1VXgAAa_CH.jpg
DDuWE1VXYAAZEv0.jpg

Hot guys fighting mysterious undead zombie swordsmen and being cocky as fuck while doing it and saving the timeline. Can't find anything to dislike in this first episode.

It's a real bummer that amazon prime's putting that extra paywall for anime strike and netflix is still waiting until shows complete before streaming them.

Never thought I'd be seeing legal anime streaming taking a step backward like this.

It's a real shame too, because we had a pretty easy system for awhile.

Like your anime subbed, sub to Crunchyroll. Like dubs, sub to Funimation.

Andrew J.

Zegapain is such an underrated series. Completely skipped it back then. Even today it is not that much discussed about.

Gurren Laggan probably took everything by storm back then. I found ZP better overall in story and characters

I'd rate ZP as one of the best modern mecha/scifi series. Have no idea why it was so disliked compared to the other series.Probably the CGI mecha and Matrix similarities contributed,though it does much more than the Matrix movies when it comes to detail and presentation.

I wouldn't go quite that far, but I do agree that Zegapain is severely underappreciated.

MSMrRound

Senki Zesshou Symphogear AXZ 01

It's Symphogear and it's fun.

Symphogear AXZ 01

"We are going to take things slow"-says the creator.

LIES.

Way to undersell your show. Had some rather high expectations going in but those were met and more. I'm just hoping Crunchy don't do the same thing and wait until we are like 2 to 3 episodes in before they announce a simulcast like they did for GX.

Also : this week's transformation scene

Whew.

No 4K, eh?
Of course not. :(
We will probably have to wait a while until the western anime market releases their first 4K anime blu-ray.
But yeah, thankfully the japanese release will have english subs, same as the Gundam Thunderbolt 4K disc.

It's a real shame too, because we had a pretty easy system for awhile.

Like your anime subbed, sub to Crunchyroll. Like dubs, sub to Funimation.

Oh god don't tell me i'll have to wait until Fall is over to get anything on Netflix :/
Considering that these shows are mostly watched by anime fans, Netflix really piss me off with that backwards decision. They should know the market better than that.

Oh god don't tell me i'll have to wait until Fall is over to get anything on Netflix :/
That's probably going to be the case if Netflix is the one getting it. They always seem to do a bulk upload, however, and this is not to be a bringer of bad news, I think just recently with LWA they only uploaded half of the show, right after the 2-cours ended... Netflix is a shitshow.

sinonobu

Banned
Symphogear AXZ episode 1

Hibiki's giga drill impact alone makes this best show of the season.

Villains seem more menacing than Carole and story feels like an improvement, too.

Can't wait to see how this will pan out.

Busaiku

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the audience and my knowledge of it is limited but isn't it huge BL bait? Isn't the series about beautiful sword men?
Well, I can understand why, but it's more like, why feature the master at all.
Hanamaru always shied away from this.
And then you'd have more sword boys anyways.

That's probably going to be the case if Netflix is the one getting it. They always seem to do a bulk upload, however, and this is not to be a bringer of bad news, I think just recently with LWA they only uploaded half of the show, right after the 2-cours ended... Netflix is a shitshow.

I think Netflix is banking that the majority of their viewers who watch anime prefer to watch it dubbed, hence the delay with LWA as I imagine they could only reliably finish 13 episodes rather than all 25. I think they feel like the vast majority of people aren't going to give them ire since they wouldn't have watched LWA subbed anyway.

I don't think they're entirely wrong. I saw a lot of people, in various communities, talking about how frustrating the wait was for Funi to dub and air Super as they absolutely didn't want to watch it subbed. While Granny Goku is sort of unique to DBZ, I think it's still likely the vast majority of the U.S. Anime Community prefers to watch dubbed over subbed and actively avoid subbed if possible.

As someone who doesn't need to watch a lot of this stuff right away, I don't have too much of a problem with Netflix's model, outside of the zero communication about when we might expect these series to go up on their platform. I can understand more passionate fans being frustrated however that they've to wait months for some of these anime while others, on other platforms, get simulcast releases.

lbsa

Zegapain is such an underrated series. Completely skipped it back then. Even today it is not that much discussed about.

Gurren Laggan probably took everything by storm back then. I found ZP better overall in story and characters

I'd rate ZP as one of the best modern mecha/scifi series. Have no idea why it was so disliked compared to the other series.Probably the CGI mecha and Matrix similarities contributed,though it does much more than the Matrix movies when it comes to detail and presentation.

Had some similar thoughts a few months back when i watched it for the first time. First couple of eps were dragging a bit, so i think people just bailed back when it aired, but it grew on me by the time i finished it.

duckroll

Katsugeki Touken Ranbu - Episode 1

Ugh that was really awful. I was expecting some serious samurai action with Ufotable production values and I got some stupid ass time police samurai zombie cg demon show with a character who gachas other characters into the show?

????????????????

Dropped.

Knights & magic Episode 1

Exponetially better than I even expected. Who knew an otaku programming being reincarnated into a world of magic robot swordsmans could be so awesome. Also the kid designs are extremely lovable and the magic is really good. I especially loved the 2nd time skips gunlike weapon and showing off the magic. Bring on more of this anime please.

Also I love how Ernestis friends are also using this modified weapons too.

The fhana song is so good!!!1
DDvZdsBUAAEIMjb.jpg:small
DDvZdr9VwAATsSS.jpg:small

Ugh that was really awful. I was expecting some serious samurai action with Ufotable production values and I got some stupid ass time police samurai zombie cg demon show with a character who gachas other characters into the show?

????????????????

Dropped.

That sounds substantially more unhinged than I was expecting.

Narag

????????????????

Dropped.

interest rising

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Senki Zesshou Symphogear AXZ Episode 1:

Yea, that is an opening episode of Symphogear alright, I do find it amusing that there is no pretense of a concert this time around.

????????????????

Dropped.

I watched it yesterday, and my reaction was similar. Well, I didn't expect anything like serious samurai action, but still gave it a chance.
But I am well over premises about magical cool cocky samurais with powers and other shonen-bait material.

Watching Touken Ranbu made me think Time Squad did it better.

250px-Time_Squad_Logo.jpg

Then it made me wonder if I'm the only person who remembers Time Squad.

Time Squad was a cartoon that somehow got away with the main characters going back in time and beating up the founding fathers.

Aki-at

Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul - 13

Man this was beautiful, seeing all the explosions, all the flames, all the destruction, what a sight to behold.

Show has picked up a lot now that the full gang has been introduced and they've dropped Azazel.

HeyBot! Episode 39

Neji and Chiguri mom appearing and saying that line about being eternally 18 was the most hilarious thing especially how everony else responded, lololol.

Moeru tried!
DDvfqwpVwAAql1u.jpg:small

I'm surprised you're excited about this, considering how the robots are all CG.

It's Studio Orange, so the CG should be good, but still.

The mecha design isn't exactly top tier, but I'm honestly into this for the sheer passion the MC has for giant robots alone.

Kid's a MASSIVE Gary Stu (he skips from elementary to middle school because he's so smart with magic because it's similar to coding) but his love for mecha is so endearing that it's impossible for me to hate him.

Drifters 10-12 END

I had a lot of fun with the series. Even though the humour didn't always work, it was at its best when the humour was historical references. Also, it (mostly) knew when to tone down the humour and make things more serious. While it was a problem in Episode 2, Episode 7 (the fight with Joan and Gilles de Rais) and Episode 12 (the battle in Verlina) managed to hold back, and keep the humour to places it worked, like the barrels of oil having funny faces drawn on them before they ignited.

Also, I really like the Ends as villains. It's kind of amazing how the Black King managed to be Jesus but also a villain. His motives of trying to save the "monsters" of the world and allow them to build a civilization is pretty virtuous, and moments like telling the Bronze Dragon that the great dragon is no more important than a starving goblin child in his eyes were very Jesus-like.

The fight between Hijikata and Toyohisa at the end was pretty awesome. I love the hand-drawn, rough style the ghosts of the Shinsengumi were drawn in, and Hijikata himself was no slouch. It was a fun fight with a couple "oh-shit" moments, and I loved Nobunaga strategizing to take advantage of it. The best parts were seeing characters react to the different fantasy elements, and Nobunaga realizing the roles they can play on the field of battle.

If I had one complaint, its that the other historical characters don't play too large roles. I would have liked to see more of Scipio and Naoshi, and Tamon Yamaguchi, despite appearing in the opening credits, appears in only two scenes in the whole season. I'm guessing they'll play larger roles as the story goes on, but Episode 3 was kind of great in how it focused on characters that weren't our main three.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Sakura Quest 13
Well, this show finally hit the right spot for that working place drama. The problem with Sakura quest is, there's this strange expectation that this is going to be similar to Shirobako, reflectng working place hardship or something similar. Well, the previous episode is pretty much just slice of life episode without any meaningful resolution and tend to be light hearted. This time, they got hit with reality quite hard. They manage to fulfill their quota of having 6000 visitors, but less than 1% going to return to their town. Not many people are interested in their chupakabra kingdom and despite their best effort, they still can't produce meaningful result.

So yeah, took them a while to get here, but here it is. Depend on hey the studio going to handle the 2nd cours, this could be more than just cute girls doing cute things while trying to revive dying town.

Sakura Quest 13

Crazy how on the surface it seems as if the founder's festival went off with only a few hitches and they got a ton of people to come out to it and the local merchant made some good business off it as well. But then the issues with the concert and the fact they got totally screwed on the variety show left everyone thing seemed so hopeful on a really sour note.

Gotta say I'm surprised Yoshino is giving up.

Cleanliness Boy Aoyama Kun Episode 1

Probably not going in the books as the best soccer anime as it always and still feels like its just missing something that I can't pinpoint but it did have its moments. I dont know if I will ever get used to Aoyama's quirk, but I do laugh at the funny faces and the dodges.

DDvqFygXUAAEmEs.jpg:small
DDvqFyLXcAAG-0M.jpg:small

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom