• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (May 2017)

Orujv.jpg

Join www.goodreads.com and join the NeoGAF Group.

Support GAF authors:

aidan (Hugo Award winner): http://aidanmoher.com/blog/ / Tide of Shadows and Other Stories
AngmarsKing701: Ahvarra: The Heart of the World
cosmicblizzard: Freeze Kill
Elfforkusu: Wrath of Flight
Fidelis Hodie: Derek Agons Slays a Dragon
H.Protagonist: Dead Endings
Hop: The Latte Segment
Plasticine Live Undead
UCBooties Trumpocalypse
whatevermort: The Explorer; No Harm Can Come to a Good Man; Long Dark Dusk by James Smythe

GAF Recommends!

Education/History
Book Recommendations for Particular Areas of Study
Best Factual Books on War (WWI/WW2 and Beyond)
History Books

General/Fiction
Recommend me books with pretty prose
I need a book
Essential books for a non-reader
Page turners (suspense)
Recommend me Historical Novels
What are your favorite books?
Recommend Me a Book and I'll Read It
Short stories
Spy & Espionage Fiction
Reading is .. Fun?
Philosophical Fiction
Top 5 Books of 2013 as voted by GAF
Novels with great world building
Non-western literature
Must Read Books That Came Out in the Past 10 Years
Books of 2010
Lengthy Books
Summer Reading

Sci-fi/Fantasy
Upcoming Scifi and Fantasy TV/Movie Adaptations
Stephen King Books
Recommend a book that feels like Dark Souls
The Best Science Fiction/Space Opera Books
Cyberpunk (Note: Not just book recommendations)
Cyberpunk Fiction
Fantasy Literature
Epic Fantasy
Fast Pace Action Sci-Fi/Fantasy Books
Fantasy and Science Fiction That is Worth Reading
Best Sci-Fi You've Ever Read
NPR Top 100 of Sci-Fi/Fantasy as of 2011
Fantasy Recommendations
Modern Fantasy and Hidden Gems
Post-apocalpytic Books
Forgotten Sci-Fi Novels
Space Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Fantasy Books
Dresden's Favorite Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Sci-Fi Novel Series
Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books

Horror
Vampire Lore
Modern Literary Horror Fiction
Can books be scary?
Horror Fiction
Scary Books

Audiobooks
Audiobook recommendations
Help me choose books from Audible
Great audiobooks
What's your favorite audiobook?

Explore
Reddit's Favorite Books Published in 2016
Amazon's 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime
Goodreads 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime
The 40 Best Sci-Fi Books According to Reddit
100 Books Every High School Student Should Read
100 Greatest Sci Fi Novels
100 Best Novels
The Sci-Fi Masterworks List
Africa's 100 Best Books of the 20th Century

Kindle Links
Free Kindle Books
Amazon Kindle Search - set alerts for free or price drop Kindle books

Online Book Stores
http://www.bookdepository.com/ Free shipping World Wide, cheap.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ Free shipping Word Wide, cheap.

Sci-Fi & Fantasy
http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/
http://aidanmoher.com/blog/
http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/

Free Audio Books
http://podcastle.org/ Free Fantasy audio books.
http://www.archive.org/details/audio All sorts of stuff.

Shelved Threads
What are you reading? (March 2017)
What are you reading? (February 2017)
What are you reading? (January 2017)
What are you reading? (December 2016)
What are you reading? (November 2016)
What are you reading? (October 2016)
What are you reading? (September 2016)
What are you reading? (August 2016)
What are you reading? (July 2016)
What are you reading? (June 2016)
What are you reading? (May 2016)
What are you reading? (April 2016)
What are you reading? (March 2016)
What are you reading? (February 2016)
What are you reading? (January 2016)
What are you reading? (December 2015)
What are you reading? (November 2015)
What are you reading? (October 2015)
What are you reading? (September 2015)
What are you reading? (August 2015)
What are you reading? (July 2015)
What are you reading? (June 2015)
What are you reading? (May 2015)
What are you reading? (April 2015)
What are you reading? (March 2015)
What are you reading? (February 2015)
What are you reading? (January 2015)
What are you reading? (December 2014)
What are you reading? (November 2014)
What are you reading? (October 2014)
What are you reading? (September 2014)
What are you reading? (August 2014)
What are you reading? (July 2014)
What are you reading? (June 2014)
What are you reding? (May 2014)
What are you reading? (April 2014)
What are you reading? (March 2014)
What are you reading? (February 2014)
What are you reading? (January 2014)
What are you reading? (December 2013)
What are you reading? (November 2013)
What are you reading? (October 2013)
What are you reading? (September 2013)
What are you reading? (August 2013)
What are you reading? (July 2013)
What are you reading? (June 2013)
What are you reading? (May 2013)
What are you reading? (April 2013)
What are you reading? (March 2013)
What are you reading? (February 2013)
What are you reading? (January 2013)
What are you reading? (December 2012)
What are you reading? (November 2012)
What are you reading? (October 2012)
What are you reading? (September 2012)
What are you reading? (August 2012)
What are you reading? (July 2012)
What are you reading? (June 2012)
What are you reading? (May 2012)
What are you reading? (April 2012)
What are you reading? (March 2012)
What are you reading? (February 2012)
What are you reading? (January 2012)
What are you reading? (December 2011)
What are you reading? (November 2011)
What are you reading? (October 2011)
What are you reading? (September 2011)
What are you reading? (August 2011)
What are you reading? (July 2011)
What are you reading? (June 2011)
What are you reading? (May 2011)
What are you reading? (April 2011)
What are you reading (March 2011)
What are you reading (February 2011)
What are you reading (January 2011)

Exupery's "Wind, Sand and Stars" in my free time, and The Great Gatsby for school.

"Our Mathematical Universe" by Max Tegmark on the side.

Here's to another great WAYR thread!

Wensih

Last month had a round of pretty bad books:

The Forming Vol. 1 - a collection of a webcomic series that relied mainly on profanity as its source for humor.

The Hot Zone - a sensationalized New York Times best seller biography of Ebola outbreaks in the 1970s-1980s which was written for such a wide audience that it took too much liberty with its scientific terms and metaphors as well as side chair speculation about what could have happened. Seems weird to me if you're writing a history and have to keep making up scenarios on how something may have happened.

The Castle - Much better than the last two, but towards the end it somewhat rambled and ended abruptly, but this is to be expected from a posthumously published work.

Currently:

Making of the Atomic Bomb -- a good historical account. ~150 pages in to it.

Stars in My Pocket Like Grains of Sand -- a phenomenal sci-fi novel. ~30 pages into it.

Quake1028

Here's what I finished in April:

61Av9vyX4AL._SY346_.jpg
51drUi8B0HL._SY346_.jpg
nFNISnv.jpg
51dGBYhS%2BwL._SY346_.jpg
510qaa3y7GL._SY346_.jpg
51jihRiWgFL._SY346_.jpg
aKJOyrL.jpg

Necromancer Awakening, The Short Drop, and A Criminal Defense were all amazing books.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I finished velocity by Den Koontz, it was ok i guess but i was kinda indifferent to it, the ending kinda went too fast. However it did make want to read T.S. Eliot and Charles Dickens a lot more.

I'm now reading this:

51-3Ubj2SfL.jpg

Seems pretty good.

brawly

Started Flashman after really liking the ebook sample

Flashmancover.jpg

Seems like a quick read too. And about halfway through The Fell Sword.

Jag

Finished
15810910.jpg

It was pretty good, but inevitable comparisons to the Powder Mage series which is at the top of my favorites. Started Book 2.The Shadow Throne.

Tesser

17610207.jpg

For someone who can get frustrated by people not having correct grammar or speaking in coherent sentences, the characters here are frustrating...but a good kind of frustrating. Guess you could call it a fairly accurate prediction of today's young-gen attitudes and increased consumerism - minus the futuristic-dystopian setting obviously - given it came out 15 years ago.

Also I've been looking for novels/writers that break away from the tradition/convention of story-telling and find a way to weave in other methods of prose (i.e. the jumble/spam of adverts and slogans at points).

Falchion

Reading Colonel Sun by Kingsley Amis which is the first, post-Fleming Bond book. It's pretty decent so far and I just wanted something fun and relatively shorty to read after finishing the second Witcher book.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Posting once more because I didn't realize the other thread was closing!

7c9aa43482f4bef475ff222baa910abd.jpg

30 pages from finishing this.

So, I liked Gardens of the Moon enough to continue on to Deadhouse Gates. I thought Deadhouse Gates was a huge improvement and greatly enjoyed it for the most part. I think I've enjoyed Memories of Ice even more than Deadhouse Gates; however, strangely, I have zero desire to continue with the series after this (unless the end blows me away and I can't help but instantly download the next book).

Why is that when I seem to be enjoying them? The series is just exhausting. When Erikson just chills out and paints a scene and doesn't try to shove every historical context of the current moment down your throat, his prose shines and his ability as a writer is notable. I cannot for the life of me imagine sustaining such endless information for SEVEN MORE DOOR-STOPPING NOVELS. Holy shit. And there are people who not only read the series once but re-read it? Damn, that ain't for me.

Memories of Ice features some of the best action I've read in fantasy actually, with the two sieges written in such a captivating and exciting manner. I grew to care for characters I never thought I would. However, as the novel is wrapping up Erikson is doing that thing again where he just unleashes a hailstorm of endless philosophical monologues, convenient names and references that tie plot-lines and narrative threads neatly in a bundle while I'm like, "Why am I so confused after 3000 pages into this world?"

So yeah, three books to round out my experience with the Malazan Book of the Fallen and I think I'm good.

I HAVE to read some shorter books next. First this year was The Stand, then these two... I'm surprised none of these 1000-1400 pagers have taken me longer than a month to read with how slowly I take my time. :p

Well, I just finished it and holy crap did the ending completely furl my sails. If I wasn't already convinced to drop this series after book three I sure as shit would be after finishing it. There is absolutely zero momentum leading into book four. And the tidying up... goddamn it, I can't stand authors repeating a narrative to cover every plot hole possible in an avalanche of bookend information. Meh.

I don't regret my time with the series at all, though, it's just that it's easier to be critical after investing so much time into something.

Onto something way shorter, Gaiman's Ocean at the End of the Lane. Can't wait!

Finished To Green Angel Tower (Part I) by Tad Williams, in my re-read of the Memory, Sorrow & Thorn series.

I will say the re-read of this trilogy is cooling me a bit on the series. When I read this originally (when it first came out 20+ years ago), it was the first fantasy series I had read besides LotR. I was blown away at the time.

Now ... errrrr, not so much. And mostly it's suffering, as I've reached the 800 page part 1 of a 1500+ page 3rd entry, in how much this needed a good editor. And what I mean by that is just needing to rip full scenes out of this. So much focus here on Miriamele could be removed. I know what he's doing; I know where he's going. But oof. The getting there is a slog.

So, having finished Part 1, I'm going to take a little break and read The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers. In fact, I've jumped in and it's quite enjoyable so far.

RangerX

Banned
I'm currently reading Robert Fisk's The Great War For Civilisation. It's an excellently detailed book on the catastrophes that were inflicted on the middle East.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Finished reading Shutter Island in March and just started reading Silk Worm, the second book in the Comoran Strike series.

51bBUTqwlZL._SX321_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I'd be really interesting to hear of people's experiences with it, if anyone happens to be have read it.

I have numerous times in school including translating parts of the original Latin.

With works like these it is important to remember the historical context for the work. Aeneas reads like a priggish ass who is constantly shown favor by the gods because of his destiny to have his ancestors found Rome. However, the majority of his actions are emblematic of Roman virtues such as piety and a form of Stoicism. Furthermore, the work was meant to lend authority to the claim of Caesar Augustus being the rightful ruler of the Empire.

As such, Aeneas is not necessarily the most interesting character in the work. Virgil focuses on a number of supporting characters such as the sympathetic Dido and Turnus, who may or may not be metaphorical representations of either 'Greek' virtue or of figures in what would have been then recent Roman history like Mark Antony.

Think of it as a mish-mash of the best scenes of Homer: the Odyssey for the first half of the book (Aeneas travelling from the razing of Troy to Italy); and the Iliad for the second half (Aeneas warring with Turnus).

x-Lundz-x

Currently cycling between these two

51IXBiewaeL._SY346_.jpg
51cc32zsaIL._SY346_.jpg

Both amazing books. I have been wanting to go through a Stephen King binge so I am starting over and going to read his Novels in order.

Finished Carrie last week. Currently reading 'Salems Lot and listening to ADwD on Audible:
11590.jpg
10664113.jpg

The_Disaster_Artist.jpg

I'm loving this, and I'm only about halfway through. It's incredibly bizarre to read how Wiseau works and thinks, but it's also got little moments of sadness and sweetness because Tommy is described so precisely.

Taruranto

Finished Cat's Cradle.

I always feel like I'm missing something by reading these 20th century post-cold war/WWII books, like there are social commentaries/criticisms that I'm completely missing by reading it in 2017.

Oh well, it was quite a good read. The ending was rather abrupt, but i suppose that was the point. I liked the author's style and there was some pretty excellent (dark) humor and some pretty good wording. (pretty much everything by Bokonon)

I dunno what to start now. I have the second half of War&Peace, but I want to save it for the summer. I can finally continue Dune (I got a Kindle), but I read the first book like 3 years ago. Though, I do seem to recall most stuff from it, oddly enough.

Ledbetter

I've been picking up reading again for the 50 books challenge. I used to read a lot in my childhoold and early teenager years, but well, at least I have a lot of classics to catch up. My sister gave me a Kindle last year so, any good (and cheap) recommendations of books I can get to use it?

Meanwhile, the last week I've read:

A Clockwork Orange - Being a non native English speaker I was very confused at first by the words (or slovos heh) that are used in this book, but I'm glad I got to finish it.

El Laberinto de la Soledad (The Labyrinth of Solitude) by Octavio Paz - A great essay about the idiosincrasy of Mexican people. The first part focuses on our traditions and the second part gives a brief explanation of our history and how the events of every important part of this history (prehispanic, Spanish conquest, Independence and so on) forged the contemporary Mexican. Prior to reading this I've heard a lot of people saying this was a very pretentious writing of Paz, but at no moment I thought that. Totally recommended.

images

It's ok so far.. one of the review blurbs sells it as "if cormac McCarthy had a sense of humor" but the prose is not really in the same league

Kawl_USC

Repost from the other thread:

Finished up Curse of Chalion which I false started on the opening few pages a couple times in the past two years. It turned out to be a really wonderful book. Glad I finally got over the initial hump.

The thing that strikes me most here (and in Penric's Demon which I just read as well) is how pleasant and cheerable her protagonist are. They aren't by any means Mary stus or anything like that, but I find them kind of heart warming. They are usually just trying to do the right thing and be a good person. Really refreshing after reading stories with more of an antihero lead.

How does Paladin of Souls stack up compare to Curse of Chalion? I might go ahead and get the next Penric Novella for something quick since the first was so enjoyable.

Also reading The Disaster Artist which is just a bizarre story. Not sure I'm super crazy about the structure of the book alternating between the story of shooting the movie with Gregs experiences first meeting Tommy and moving to LA but it's a light interesting look into a real strange dude.

Picked up a couple of different books I'm trying to decide on what to read next:
Ship of Magic
Ship of Fools
Three Body Problem
A Closed and Common Orbit
Anasi Boys

Any thoughts on which to go for next?

I think Paladin of Souls is one of her best single works. Even something I like a little better, like Memory, benefits enormously from the scaffolding built by the rest of the series. The Paladin of Souls comes so early in this series, and is much more independent of the previous work than something like Memory or A Civil Campaign or whatever are.

Nice, this will bump Paladin up quite a bit, you haven't lead me astray yet Mumei. Although a couple friends are hesitant to listen to my recommendations after how much of a heart breaker A Little Life was...

Daft Bird

I am finishing Death of Cool, should be finished by tomorrow. After that I'm thinking of either reading The Last of the Mohicans or reading Robison Crusoe.

Sean C

Rilla%20of%20Ingleside_zpsgc211vmj.png

Anne Shirley as you always wanted to see her: seething with hatred for Germany and hoping her sons don't die in war (
(two out of three ain't bad
).

As may be discerned from the title, the focus of this book is Rilla Blythe, Anne and Gilbert's youngest daughter, who is ever so convinced that the years between 15 and 19 will be the best and happiest years of her life. She says this in the summer of 1914, so you know where this is going. In short order the menfolk are being marched off to war, and Rilla finds herself working on the home front in a variety of capacities, from the Junior Red Cross to volunteering to raise a baby(!) whose mother has died while the father is away at the front.

As a bildungsroman, this is a fairly effective story, even if I think the constant shifting into and out of the epistolary format is a bit wearying. Montgomery's humorous observations about daily life are as enjoyable as ever, and the characters are well-drawn. However, for modern readers the greatest interest here is likely to be its snapshot of the domestic front of World War I, as written down by a novelist immediately after the war ended. This also manifests in the novel's politics, which are much more pro-war than this story would likely be if a similar story was written today (witness, for instance, the way the Blythes scorn the village's token pacifist minister, who toward the end suffers a paralytic stroke that housekeeper Susan calls a judgement from the Almighty).

This edition, which restores portions of the text that had been edited out of many later versions (primarily to tone down the Hun-bashing), comes with a glossary of terms to familiarize readers with many of the events mentioned in it, though I think this would have been more helpful had it been footnoted, or even just arranged sequentially by changed, rather than being alphabetized at the back.

fakefaker

I'm about half way through Men Walking on Water by Emily Schultz and it has a definitely TV mini-series feel to it. It was wordy at the start, but its found a well defined rhythm now which I'm enjoying.

30658416.jpg

32327786.jpg

This book is too meta for me to give an adequate description of it, so I'll just copy and paste the description from Goodreads.

The Story of Bookland is a serious fantasy story set in a world where the inhabitants know themselves to be characters in that story and which is relayed by a narrator who has a knack for artfully and humorously interjecting himself where he does not belong. Well, on second thought, perhaps the story is not that serious, and perhaps the narrator is neither artful nor humorous. Everything else that was said, however, was completely true. Of course, there might have been a lie or two.

I'm over halfway through and I'm really enjoying it. It's meta as fuck though.

The Chef

Just finished this:
Killing_Floor_Cover.jpg

I enjoyed it. How does this first book compare to the rest of the series?
Not sure if I want to jump on the next one or not. I am really wanting some king of ass kicking Jason Borne kind thing. Any suggestions?

Just finished this:
Killing_Floor_Cover.jpg

I enjoyed it. How does this first book compare to the rest of the series?
Not sure if I want to jump on the next one or not. I am really wanting some king of ass kicking Jason Borne kind thing. Any suggestions?
Oh man, the memories. Killing Floor was the first "adult" book I ever read. I think I was 14

Jack Reacher series is one of my favorites. It's pulpy thriller fun, when your hero is part massive brute, part expert tactician, part witty detective

The Chef

Oh man, the memories. Killing Floor was the first "adult" book I ever read. I think I was 14

Jack Reacher series is one of my favorites. It's pulpy thriller fun, when your hero is part massive brute, part expert tactician, part witty detective

Book 2 is Die Trying I think? So they are all consistently good? Does it matter what order I read them in? My friend told me One Shot is his favorite so I was debating jumping on that.

Book 2 is Die Trying I think? So they are all consistently good? Does it matter what order I read them in? My friend told me One Shot is his favorite so I was debating jumping on that.
Eh, didn't like One Shot as much

Bad Luck and Trouble is my favorite. Some nice backstory and a more personal motivation than usual on Reacher, get to see him working as a team which helps to highlight his strengths, has pretty great pacing

Some are less good, some are great, but I wouldn't say any are bad.

Most are relatively standalone, only later in the series do they start having some cliffhangers and plot stuff carrying over between books

Palmer_v1

So I read the first two books of the Broken Earth series.

61EwRzbMAqL._AC_UL320_SR210,320_.jpg

and

9780316229265_p0_v2_s192x300.jpg

Third one comes out in August.

I don't really like them and don't quite get the hype. I just feel like I'm missing something here.

I liked all the characters from the first book, but the major new point of view in the second book grated on me.

The story, which seemed pretty interesting in Book 1 also quickly entered WTF territory in Book 2.

The Chef

Eh, didn't like One Shot as much

Bad Luck and Trouble is my favorite. Some nice backstory and a more personal motivation than usual on Reacher, get to see him working as a team which helps to highlight his strengths, has pretty great pacing

Some are less good, some are great, but I wouldn't say any are bad.

Most are relatively standalone, only later in the series do they start having some cliffhangers and plot stuff carrying over between books

Great thanks dude. I think I'll just continue to book 2 then.

Finished

The Beach - Alex Garland 3.5/5
The Girl With All The Gifts - M.R. Carey 3.5/5
The Bonfire Of the Vanities - Tom Wolfe 3/5

Reading

NOS4A2 - Joe Hill
Night Film - Marisha Pessl

Soon To Start

Watership Down - Richard Adams
Mongrels - Stephen Graham Jones

Nymerio

Going to finish up the second Red Rising book Golden Son later today. Great great series. Both books took a bit to really go going but once they did there's no stopping. Loved every page so far.

Danielsan

Finished Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep yesterday. Loved it. My first Philip K. Dick book. Will definitely try out more of his works soon.

Started reading Ready Player One today. Seems okay so far. The hard on for the 80s may become a bit tiresome, but it's an easy read and seems fun so far.

Top Bottom