• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MayJun17| WE ARE ROBOTS

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fuck kind of bullshit is this?

Exactly the kind of bullshit you'd expect it to be.

5ca.jpg

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
wait wait wait

you rob her of her five senses, one of which is the sensation of touch

..........but also raised her "pain sensitivity"?

....but isn't pain achieved partly by TOUCH? Like, if she were to touch a hot stove top, it shouldn't technically hurt because you removed her sense of touch.

Seda

I'm not totally sure how I feel about this tbh

Like, when shows put their annoying morons on a pedestal, it doesn't work but you can at least see how it's MEANT to work, that we're supposed to feel the way the other characters do about the protagonist even if we don't.

With Eren, I'm not really sure what the point of his character is at this point in the series. He doesn't seem to be in the process of becoming less of a shit, and there doesn't seem to be any real conflict as far as his obnoxious personality goes. As a character, he's literally a tool; his titan form is useful and that seems to be the main purpose he serves.

I actually 100% totally agree with you. I'm kinda wait-and-see right now with Eren. If he's intentionally unlikable or whatever, then what is the author's plan for him? What role will his character serve going forward? Is a tool all he's going to be? (double meaning intended)

So I guess I'm more curious than engaged.

FT has one of the worst battle systems in a battle Shounen, and this is not accounting for Nakama Power-Up that happens every other fight....Trying to follow the logic of the battle system is horrid in this damn manga.

TheSun

So that's where that damn blue cat came from.

I remember watching rave master on the sci-fi channel. What an odd and short era.

So I know we agreed not to talk about the new Powerpuff Girls Cartoon, but there was a recent episode where Blossom falls in love. That's fine right? It gets kinda weird when people noticed the kid Blossom falls for looks like one of the writers, and said writer voices the character...

download.png

It's a bit odd...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Technically, pain is a separate system from touch. But we have way more than 5 senses by that standard.
Yeah, you're technically right (the best kind of right), but it still feels "off" if you think about it. Maybe it just feels like they didn't put any thought into the actual battle & just went with something that seemed "cool".

So I know we agreed not to talk about the new Powerpuff Girls Cartoon, but there was a recent episode where Blossom falls in love. That's fine right? It gets kinda weird when people noticed the kid Blossom falls for looks like one of the writers, and said writer voices the character...

download.png

It's a bit odd...
Oh god, yeah, Unspeakable Evil mentioned it on Twitter. It doesn't help these are....clearly not legal age girls.

cntr

Banned
this page is starting to feel a bit creepy, but on we go I guess

The fuck kind of bullshit is this?
The guy had a power to disable people by making them remember the best sensation of their life. It was pretty clear what the implication was.

For comparison, My Hero Academia implemented an equivalent idea with infinitely more taste by
having someone with the power to make people laugh.

Yeah, you're technically right (the best kind of right), but it still feels "off" if you think about it. Maybe it just feels like they didn't put any thought into the actual battle & just went with something that seemed "cool".
Some day, we'll have a shounen manga where people have their proprioception stolen.

togashi would totally do that

TheSun

*BLAM*

It's a bit odd...

Imagine if bleedman worked on this shit.

Seriously, this show never stops baffling my ass. Like of course something as weird as this would happen. It makes PPGZ look good in comparison.

Mizerman

It's a bit odd...

My friend and I were talking about this earlier.

So yeah, not sure if someone posted it, but for people going in blind to this Season of Attack on Titan try your best to avoid Toonami's episode promo for the next episode. They very blatantly spoil some shit.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The guy had a power to disable people by making them remember the best sensation of their life. It was pretty clear what the implication was.

For comparison, My Hero Academia implemented an equivalent idea with infinitely more taste by
having someone with the power to make people laugh.
....HAHAHAHA, HOLY CRAP, wow. I thought it was just "lol imma make everyone feel the sensation of climax", but the fact he makes them REMEMBER the "best feeling".....hot damn.

Please tell me someone in the series questions this & makes the implication of one of two situations that could result in said sensation.

There's something so fascination learning how a bad series is even worse the more you learn about it.

download.png

It's a bit odd...

Oh good god the implications this sends. And here's the best (worst) part: it's from the same guy that wrote the Twerking episode.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
How does Fairy Tale even have a fan base?
Considering my little sister was into it when she was around 12-13, my guess is it's basically this gen's Naruto or whatever, "my first shonen" when you first discover anime & want to be all "nah man, this is TOTALLY better than those lame cartoons on Nick & CN!"

Raxus

Oh god, yeah, Unspeakable Evil mentioned it on Twitter. It doesn't help these are....clearly not legal age girls.

Honestly, that is the least (albeit still VERY large still) of its problems. As it speaks miles about how tone deaf new PPG is about its characters, its show it is representing, and how it speaks to girls.

In short, *vomits all over screen*

Morlas

Mashima is a good author but I'm pretty sure with fairy tail he just doesn't give a crap
Ps the dark bring system is a way better combat system

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It's that teenager phase of "AW YEAH, LOOK HOW VIOLENT & MATURE THIS SERIES IS! IMMA BADAASSSS REBEL"

I remember thinking the same for Gantz but goddamn, I remember the pacing made DBZ look like Inuyasha The Final Act at one point. There was one enemy who had like 7 different forms & it just would not freakin' end.

caliph95

More FT bullshit:
Another Erza classic, this dude Azuma was stronger and beating her even hit her with his strongest attack but:
giphy.gif

Erza's fine and somehow even though he was stronger than their strongest members on the island
Why:
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

FRIENDSHIP

There is also this classic for the bullshit where they won because the bad guy couldn't even handle their friendship i wish i was joking:
giphy.gif

after all that when at this he is stronger than all of them combined since they have no energy left what does he do

giphy.gif

HE FUCKING GIVES UP!!! because their friendship was too strong

Seda

Honestly, that is the least (albeit still VERY large still) of its problems. As it speaks miles about how tone deaf new PPG is about its characters, its show it is representing, and how it speaks to girls.

In short, *vomits all over screen*

I think a 'puppy love' type episode could inherently be fine and humorous, but that screencap and the writer/voice thing is uhhhhh

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I think a 'puppy love' type episode could inherently be fine and humorous, but that screencap and the writer/voice thing is uhhhhh
I want to say the original series did that (the first thing that came to mind was how they defeated the Rowdyruff Boys, & it was done in a humorous way), but yeah, when you realize the background of the episode & character, especially when you learn it's the same dude who wrote the episode involving....*sigh*....twerking, it just feels wrong.

I want to know if anyone else on the team realized this or even questioned it at one point.

More FT bullshit:
Another Erza classic, this dude Azuma was stronger and beating her even hit her with his strongest attack but:
giphy.gif

Erza's fine and somehow even though he was stronger than their strongest members on the island
Why:
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

FRIENDSHIP

There is also this classic for the bullshit where they won because the bad guy couldn't even handle their friendship i wish i was joking:
giphy.gif

after all that when at this he is stronger than all of them combined since they have no energy left what does he do

giphy.gif

HE FUCKING GIVES UP!!! because their friendship was too strong
Friendship is a
Requiem Stand

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I read up on the Gantz ending recently, since it got too stupid for even kid me to finish it.

still laughing

The final fight was cool but that was about it. They even dropped the ball when everyone finally got Hard Suits.

I kinda feel like there are fundamentally two types of cartoons right now. There are cartoons that talk to kids like they're people, and understand adults can enjoy cartoons as well. (Star vs. the Forces of Evil, Steven Universe, and such.) Then are cartoons that go right to jokes and internet humor. That probably sounds harsh, but I think some shows can do the latter fine. They're gag shows, and they're comfortable being gag shows. That said, I don't think people will remember the latter after they're done.

Seda

That FT 'bad-guy-gives-up-for-no-reason' sounds like the Soul Eater anime-only ending.

Demon face dude (whatever his name was) seems to be basically unstoppable, but starts to randomly freak out because Maka/Soul never give up.

And then he's hit with a bravery punch.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I kinda feel like there are fundamentally two types of cartoons right now. There are cartoons that talk to kids like they're people, and understand adults can enjoy cartoons as well. (Star vs. the Forces of Evil, Steven Universe, and such.) Then are cartoons that go right to jokes and internet humor. That probably sounds harsh, but I think some shows can do the latter fine. They're gag shows, and they're comfortable being gag shows. That said, I don't think people will remember the latter after they're done.
Pretty much, but the issue now is that networks want the latter because they work better in the rerun slot compared to something that has an overarching story & someone might not be able to watch it because they haven't seen previous episodes/be caught up with the plot.

Another problem is that when they aim for the more "internet" humor, it's just going to become dated later on. Sure, older animated shows like Animaniacs have references that can make it seem a bit dated, but it still understands to go more for stuff that appeals to a wider demographic & making it stand the test of time better, especially when you revisit it as an adult & find it funnier due to understanding jokes you didn't get as a kid.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Why did nobody tell me they based a character off of me? :p

Just to double check, there was NOT a new episode of DB Super last night at 8 PM, right?

Yeah Goku broke ChiChi's next after getting nagged one too many times

caliph95

That FT 'bad-guy-gives-up-for-no-reason' sounds like the Soul Eater anime-only ending.

Demon face dude (whatever his name was) seems to be basically unstoppable, but starts to randomly freak out because Maka/Soul never give up.

And then he's hit with a bravery punch.
Can't believe i'm defending it but it made more sense in Soul Eater anime when a plot point and the power of the bad guy is his Madness IIRC Maka beat him by overcoming and not giving in, it still complete bullshit but at least he didn't give up because their he was so inspired by their friendship or resolve
Friendship is a
Requiem Stand
That makes too much sense

Crocodile

A) I didn't post in this thread last night but I did watch most of the Jack marathon. Watching back to back I think covers over most of the potential pacing issues in the middle of the season. It also kind of highlights how much it stings to lose all the characters in the future when Jack goes back. At the end of the day though, that is what the show was always destined to go. Great show was great with a good (maybe could've been better but still good) ending :)

B) LOL Fairy Tail

Yeah I saw that on twitter too. What the hell is going on with that show? Who thought a writer self-insert (especially used that way) was a good idea? Apparently that same writer also wrote the infamous twerking episode >_<

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So over the last week or two I actually went through and watched DBZ Abridged for the first time ever.

It's good. It's real good. Like, at some point it moved beyond just stupid jokes and into a genuinely good (if humorous) alternative dub of the show. Like, it preserves all the necessary moments of badassery you want from DBZ, the characters are often arguably better versions of the original incarnations... it's honestly fantastic.

I know why I bounced off of it at first, though. It doesn't really get good until the Frieza saga.

Grexeno

So over the last week or two I actually went through and watched DBZ Abridged for the first time ever.

It's good. It's real good. Like, at some point it moved beyond just stupid jokes and into a genuinely good (if humorous) alternative dub of the show. Like, it preserves all the necessary moments of badassery you want from DBZ, the characters are often arguably better versions of the original incarnations... it's honestly fantastic.

I know why I bounced off of it at first, though. It doesn't really get good until the Frieza saga.
And it doesn't get excellent until the Androids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom