• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Several Nascar owners say they wouldn’t tolerate national anthem protests at races

On a right wing forum I spy on they are saying nascars ratings are down and some of them stopped watching because.... nascar banned the confederate flag.

For them to say it's banned is being very disingenuous (unsurprisingly). NASCAR banned it in an official capacity. Meaning things that they can personally control, like drivers suits and cars, can't have confederate flags on it. But the tracks that they go to can still have them flying. And fans can still bring them if they want. They've simply encouraged fans to not do that, and even started a program where you could exchange a confederate flag for an American flag. But that's about as far as it goes. The flag is still part of the sport.

It's also notable that they only made that rule in 2015. You know why? Because of the terrorist attack against the church in Charleston where it was shown that Dylan Roof was a fan of the flag. That's what finally prompted them to take a stand against it. Even though Earhardt Jr. had been trying to get them to distance the sport away from the flag long before then.

Mohonky

Doesn’t F1 only have one black driver? Unless there are some in the lower series I don’t know about.

They aren’t exactly bursting the race bubble either.

There are more races than black if you go down an F1 field there are racers from all over the world; the common theme however is that they all;

- come from wealthy backgrounds

Or

- are the children / relatives of famous race drivers

There are exceptions to that but that would be the majority of the field accounted for.

Lewis Hamilton and a few others are the exception because they arent children of former top level race drivers, came from wealthy families or were backed by a wealthy investor which are typically the things a driver needs.

It essentially starts from childhood, top level drivers were usually driving Go Karts as soon as they could reach the pedals and if you look at how expensive even a Go Kart season is, you'll realise even that is a greater expense than the majority of what you would consider 'middle class' could afford to commit to. Its expensive and time consuming and for parents its basically an all in affair that the family has to devote finances and lifestyle around right from the beginning.

Lewis Hamiltons father worked up to 4 jobs to keep Lewis driving. It wasnt that they were poor, take away the karting they were still middle class, but Lewis father committed to it right from the word go, he wouldnt have taken multiple jobs to keep Lewis going if it was just a fun side project, ge and Lewis were clearly always going to be in it for the long haul and Lewis was a natural with huge potential but even that potential would never have been enough if his father wasnt prepared or able to provide the support financially for him to keep at it.

It wasnt until Lewis was 13 (he'd been karting since he was 5) before McLaren picked him up and at that point the financial burden is eased with a backer like that but it still took years and a shitload of money before it happen. Its not like kids that can grab a ball and throw it throw a hoop or kick it around or just plain sprint fast that even those from a poor background can do; motorsport is just expensive, and then to get to the top fields ita not just the large amounts of money but talent.

We (in the Formula 1 thread) piss and moan about 'pay drivers' who get seats because they have extremely wealthy backers and bring big money in sponsors but even those guys have to get their Super License to compete so they clearly have great talent also, but it tends to be a balancing act between what a driver can bring financially and how good they are.

Hamilton (que the haters) is an extreme talent, he's not just one of the best now, but of all time and thats why he got a go in F1 and is still there, but even his old man had to make huge financial sacrifices to even begin to drive.

So yeh, a lot of money, sacrifice and talent. Some people have a lot of money but not enough talent, some have a lot of talent but not enough money and some arent prepared to throw literally everything about their life at it, so the number of individuals that can make it is extremely small; factor in wealth distribution among races, access to racing equipment / facilities and cultural or social reasons (a huge amount of drivers tend to come from countries that live and breathe motorsport) and you can sort of see why some people end up racing drivers and others dont.

Branson

There are more races than black if you go down an F1 field there are racers from all over the world; the common theme however is that they all;

- come from wealthy backgrounds

Or

- are the children / relatives of famous race drivers

There are exceptions to that but that would be the majority of the field accounted for.

Lewis Hamilton and a few others are the exception because they arent children of former top level race drivers, came from wealthy families or were backed by a wealthy investor which are typically the things a driver needs.

It essentially starts from childhood, top level drivers were usually driving Go Karts as soon as they could reach the pedals and if you look at how expensive even a Go Kart season is, you'll realise even that is a greater expense than the majority of what you would consider 'middle class' could afford to commit to. Its expensive and time consuming and for parents its basically an all in affair that the family has to devote finances and lifestyle around right from the beginning.

Lewis Hamiltons father worked up to 4 jobs to keep Lewis driving. It wasnt that they were poor, take away the karting they were still middle class, but Lewis father committed to it right from the word go, he wouldnt have taken multiple jobs to keep Lewis going if it was just a fun side project, ge and Lewis were clearly always going to be in it for the long haul and Lewis was a natural with huge potential but even that potential would never have been enough if his father wasnt prepared or able to provide the support financially for him to keep at it.

It wasnt until Lewis was 13 (he'd been karting since he was 5) before McLaren picked him up and at that point the financial burden is eased with a backer like that but it still took years and a shitload of money before it happen. Its not like kids that can grab a ball and throw it throw a hoop or kick it around or just plain sprint fast that even those from a poor background can do; motorsport is just expensive, and then to get to the top fields ita not just the large amounts of money but talent.

We (in the Formula 1 thread) piss and moan about 'pay drivers' who get seats because they have extremely wealthy backers and bring big money in sponsors but even those guys have to get their Super License to compete so they clearly have great talent also, but it tends to be a balancing act between what a driver can bring financially and how good they are.

Hamilton (que the haters) is an extreme talent, he's not just one of the best now, but of all time and thats why he got a go in F1 and is still there, but even his old man had to make huge financial sacrifices to even begin to drive.

So yeh, a lot of money, sacrifice and talent. Some people have a lot of money but not enough talent, some have a lot of talent but not enough money and some arent prepared to throw literally everything about their life at it, so the number of individuals that can make it is extremely small; factor in wealth distribution among races, access to racing equipment / facilities and cultural or social reasons (a huge amount of drivers tend to come from countries that live and breathe motorsport) and you can sort of see why some people end up racing drivers and others dont.

Makes sense. NASCAR is also that way in certain aspects. Sponsors and money rule the sport. Top quality drivers are getting pushed out in favor of drivers with higher paying sponsors. Racing in general seems to be that way now. I watch all of the major series(F1, Nascar, INDYCAR etc) and see that in all of them.

Racing in general is in a decline in popularity so sponsors and guaranteed money seem to be the importance now.

Makes sense. NASCAR is also that way in certain aspects. Sponsors and money rule the sport. Top quality drivers are getting pushed out in favor of drivers with higher paying sponsors. Racing in general seems to be that way now. I watch all of the major series(F1, Nascar, INDYCAR etc) and see that in all of them.

Racing in general is in a decline in popularity so sponsors and guaranteed money seem to be the importance now.

I just wanted to say props for keeping/putting up with some of the thread responses. Can't say I know much of NASCAR or racing in general but it's interesting to hear about the goings on and especially of the notion of desired perception changes within it, however muted it may be.

Good on Dale Jr. too.

Branson

I just wanted to say props for keeping/putting up with some of the thread responses. Can't say I know much of NASCAR or racing in general but it's interesting to hear about the goings on and especially of the notion of desired perception changes within it, however muted it may be.

Good on Dale Jr. too.

It’s certainly frustrating to see a sport and series I love personally be completely miscalculated sometimes. As with any sport things change over the years. It still has a southern fan base but it’s also moved to other markets through the country. Fans are terrible in any sport I’ve seen, be it elitist F1 fans to racist nascar fans to annoying NFL fans and stuff.

As I’ve gotten older my tastes as a motor sports fan has changed and grown and made me appreciate all forms. Same with my dad who is conservative in nature watches and keeps up with F1 with me too.

But anyway. The point is I hate seeing blanket statements on sports that certainly isn’t necessarily true anymore. NASCAR has added road courses and tries to make the race better as the cars are way too aero dependent. Like 2018 F1 cars are this year.

I just wish Racing was more popular everywhere like it used to be. I don’t want politics in sports. This whole thing has been annoying. Especially as the old guys still in NASCAR has that “Grandpa grew up in a different time” approach to issues to this about them.

Top Bottom