• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Several Nascar owners say they wouldn’t tolerate national anthem protests at races

*flies flag of traitors next to the flag of the country they tried to destroy*

"You're the one being disrespectful!"

Not to mention NASCAR was literally started by a bunch a fucking criminals. The organization was founded by bootleggers after prohibition because they liked being chased by police. Fuck NASCAR.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
"America is what got you to where you are today" is not the shit I want to hear from 'bootstrap' conservatives.

Fucking troglodytes have turned patriotism in to a religion too. Creepy as shit. I need to get the fuck out of the Bible belt.

These mother fuckers would be Tweeting about "You BETTER show RESPECT for my KING" back in 1775. Garbage people.

GodofWine

NASCAR is the second most profitable sport in the US behind the NFL.

Assuming that is accurate, its probably based on a large TV contract signed when NASCAR was 'cool' to the mass market.

Now that ratings are low, and seats are empty, and its not even on the main NBC / FOX channels, when this contract is over, they'll probably see less revenue (Im guessing).

Fox Mulder

Dude, is there a single black person in all of NASCAR racing?

I'm seriously curious.

Yes. There's only one in f1 too.

Assuming that is accurate, its probably based on a large TV contract signed when NASCAR was 'cool' to the mass market.

Now that ratings are low, and seats are empty, and its not even on the main NBC / FOX channels, when this contract is over, they'll probably see less revenue (Im guessing).

Nascar already took a huge hit going from Sprint to Monster Energy as the title sponsor. It's like $40 million a year less.

Sulik2

RIch white guys are racist and/or out of touch with the struggles of average people and African-Americans. I'm shocked, shocked!

I love NASCAR as a sport, but absolutely hate the image it carries. I wish it could be more globalized or at least inclusive, because it is so fun to watch.

Dale is helping, so I thank him. Fuck Richard.

giphy.gif
Is this the newest episode? I don't remember seeing it.

Proud of Dale Jr. on this one. Those Petty comments are shameful. I expected nothing less from the NASCAR community as whole though. Ignorant rednecks are their largest demographic by far.

It’s hard being a fan of nascar for me personally. I love racing and it’s the main one I watch, as I watch most of the major ones like F1, INDYCAR, etc. and I’m in America so it’s easier for me to stay up to date with nascar.

I get wrapped up into the “Redneck Trump” crowd yet no one I watch it with supports trump, they don’t only turn left if you know even a small amount about it, I think nascar went to like 3-4 road courses the last couple of months.

I find F1 races just as boring as nascar races too but love both. I just hate that nascar has this stigma and negative connotations about it. They don’t only turn left. Not everyone supports trump and a lot of people within the sport want diversity.

It would be like me asking if only black people watch and play football. I’m not that ignorant.

I hate that these owners are like this though. I wish they would try to help grow the sport rather than taking a stupid political stand on anything. Get politics out of fucking racing.

I've been asked this frequently by white people through my life soo.....yeah.

"You good in basketball??"

"Do you play football??"

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I mean Toyota is still a Japanese company and the XV70 (XV50, etc) were all still designed and created in Japan by non-Americans. But if simply being built in the US makes it an "American" product then I guess?

Toyota has design centers in the US. And I live near one of Nissan's.

Keasar

Never understood Nascar. Of all motor races it is the most boring looking of all kinds (drive in an oval, make only left turns, do this now for 500 laps). Glad I don't need to give it a chance now.

Is this the newest episode? I don't remember seeing it.

Nah, it's from season 14 in 2010.

C.Mongler

Let's see, there's been what? Four black Nascar drivers in the sport's entire history? Maybe some other PoC I'm mis-remembering too, but not surprising to hear this from the head of the sport made by and for ignorant white-folks.

There's plenty of dumb motherfuckers waving/wearing confederate flags at these races during the anthem too, but it's funny how that's not considered an issue.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Bubba Wallace can't get any sponsors, and therefore a ride, despite clearly being a better driver than most of the dreck in the back of the field. I wonder why. :thinkingemoji

WhatNXt

Yet more idiots that equate 'patriotism' to basic, servile deference - to a flag - and to authority - and to a fucking piece of music.

I'm sure some will argue the definition is up to each and every person, but bollocks to that. True patriotism is doing what's right for your country. Standing up to tyranny, to injustice, standing up for the rights of people to wage peaceful protest and exercise their freedom of speech.

We need more serving military and vets to tell these fucksticks to shut the fuck up. Ideologically backwards motherfuckers.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Nascar is the most boring motorsport event I've ever tried to watch. How come Americans never got into rallying or F1? Way the hell more exciting.

Camwi

And yet NASCAR Jesus is openly supportive of these protests.

Hopefully Dale Jr. takes a televised knee, and the commentators don't shit all over him afterwards. It would at least throw a monkey wrench into the discussion amongst NASCAR fans, where the vast majority are sipping that Trump Hatorade.

Massive respect to him. That's almost Dixie Chicks level standing up for what's right against your POS fanbase.

Branson

Never understood Nascar. Of all motor races it is the most boring looking of all kinds (drive in an oval, make only left turns, do this now for 500 laps). Glad I don't need to give it a chance now.

Nah, it's from season 14 in 2010.

Ah yes, "racing" on a left-turn oval. How can it possibly get better than this?

First of all, NASCAR goes to multiple road courses a year and have since the 50s. The whole “Only Turning left” thing hasn’t been relevant for 50 years. Most of the time they are some of the best road course racing in most series and fans have been clamoring for more. Think like V8 Supercar type of excitement. They are even adding a new road course into their playoffs next year.

Second of all. This whole thread looks like it thought that nascar itself said that. This would be like the owners of the chiefs coming out and saying they would fire anyone on their team.

These guys are owners of a team in the sport, not nascar themselves. Doesn’t make it right though. They don’t speak for the whole sport as Dale Jr showed.

But nascar even has a diversity program. They’ve tried to expand their fan base. With more drivers from around the world.

You guys are all over being open and judgment free and all of this and don’t even know anything about the sport you’re criticizing. There are far more left leaning nascar fans than you realize. Look at the Reddit community If you want proof.

Sephzilla

And yet NASCAR Jesus is openly supportive of these protests.

Hopefully Dale Jr. takes a televised knee, and the commentators don't shit all over him afterwards. It would at least throw a monkey wrench into the discussion amongst NASCAR fans, where the vast majority are sipping that Trump Hatorade.

Good for Dale Jr

I mean, is anyone truly surprised?

Where I grew up, NASCAR is not much farther down the list from football in terms of importance. I'm not even remotely surprised. I generally don't really care about sports too much and NASCAR is probably the worst because it's by far the most boring.

They know their main demo. I kinda wanna see the entire set of the drivers get out of their cars and take a knee next race though just to see what the fuck would happen. I don't believe for a second that most of the people threatening to boycott the NFL will actually go through with it. People like this talk a big game but when it comes down to it I love seeing what they actually do when the situation comes around.

First of all, NASCAR goes to multiple road courses a year and have since the 50s. The whole “Only Turning left” thing hasn’t been relevant for 50 years. Most of the time they are some of the best road course racing in most series and fans have been clamoring for more. Think like V8 Supercar type of excitement. They are even adding a new road course into their playoffs next year.

Second of all. This whole thread looks like it thought that nascar itself said that. This would be like the owners of the chiefs coming out and saying they would fire anyone on their team.

These guys are owners of a team in the sport, not nascar themselves. Doesn’t make it right though. They don’t speak for the whole sport as Dale Jr showed.

But nascar even has a diversity program. They’ve tried to expand their fan base. With more drivers from around the world.

You guys are all over being open and judgment free and all of this and don’t even know anything about the sport you’re criticizing. There are far more left leaning nascar fans than you realize. Look at the Reddit community If you want proof.

I just want you to know that Trump thanked all of nascar for backing him up. The entire sport has now been labeled as backing Trump with no real pushback from the organization.

Branson

Is there a single non-white driver in Nascar? Also why does Nascar exist in the same world that has F1?!!!
Read the fucking thread Jesus Christ. I feel like like the only person that watches all of the major motor sports that’s trying to explain things here and no one is even paying attention.
I just want you to know that Trump thanked all of nascar for backing him up. The entire sport has now been labeled as backing Trump with no real pushback from the organization.
Like a lot of people in here, he thinks that a couple of old conservative team owners speak for the whole sport when that’s not even true. He’s not known for being rational or needing to know a lot of facts before tweeting whatever.

Mohonky

Yes. There's only one in f1 too.

Yeh, but he's making up for it by being the best (possibly biased comment as a Hamilton fan)

There's not a lot of black drivers in any racing series though despite the fact that at any one point there's always Asian, South American and Arab drivers competing in motorsports in various forms.

Nascar is the most boring motorsport event I've ever tried to watch. How come Americans never got into rallying or F1? Way the hell more exciting.

America has a thing with sports like that though, most big sports in the US are either exclusively played / run in the US or are so small in other nations they aren't really worth talking about.

Yes, and because different people like different things.

Read the fucking thread Jesus Christ. I feel like like the only person that watches all of the major motor sports that's trying to explain things here and no one is even paying attention.

Could you count the non-white drivers on one hand? Because I do want to see them fire someone and then try to claim that this has nothing to do with race.

Sorry, but Nascar seems really weird to me. It's not necessarily the racing itself, but the whole culture around it is just crazy. What's so "macho" about driving in a circle? If the culture of Nascar was closer to what F1 is I would be a lot more understanding of the sport.

Branson

Could you count the non-white drivers on one hand? Because I do want to see them fire someone and then try to claim that this has nothing to do with race.

Sorry, but Nascar seems really weird to me. It's not necessarily the racing itself, but the whole culture around it is just crazy. What's so "macho" about driving in a circle? If the culture of Nascar was closer to what F1 is I would be a lot more understanding of the sport.
Doesn’t F1 only have one black driver? Unless there are some in the lower series I don’t know about.

They aren’t exactly bursting the race bubble either.

And there’s only one black driver in nascar too. And I’d say 90% of the fan base wants to see him succeed too. And he also drove for Petty this year, one of the guys that said the remarks about being fired for kneeling.

Dishwalla

Banned
We get it, ya'll have a stigma against Nascar, good for you.

No one is denying the organization or the culture has problems, but I don't know why we have to go over the same things again and again.

Doesn't F1 only have one black driver? Unless there are some in the lower series I don't know about.

They aren't exactly bursting the race bubble either.

And there's only one black driver in nascar too. And I'd say 90% of the fan base wants to see him succeed too. And he also drove for Petty this year, one of the guys that said the remarks about being fired for kneeling.

That's not the point I was making. F1 might have race issue too. The point was about US president's remarks and their impact on the right of specific race to protest. Nascar culture seems to be part of the issue we are having.

Also "90% of the fan base wants to see him succeed too" sounds kind of condescending, but I don't know much about the driver or about the Nascar so that might be just me seeing something that isn't there...

Branson

That's not the point I was making. F1 might have race issue too. The point was about US president's remarks and their impact on the right of specific race to protest. Nascar culture seems to be part of the issue we are having.

Also "90% of the fan base wants to see him succeed too" sounds kind of condescending, but I don't know much about the driver or about the Nascar so that might be just me seeing something that isn't there...

Just because he’s a good guy that deserves a top ride was the point I was making. He’s done well every ride he’s had and the only truck race he ran this year in the series he won.

I wasn’t meaning it in a condescending way. Not everyone likes Lewis Hamilton so I’d never say 100% of that fan base wants someone to win the whole time.

Anyway. This is off topic.

First of all, NASCAR goes to multiple road courses a year and have since the 50s. The whole ”Only Turning left" thing hasn't been relevant for 50 years. Most of the time they are some of the best road course racing in most series and fans have been clamoring for more. Think like V8 Supercar type of excitement. They are even adding a new road course into their playoffs next year.

These guys are owners of a team in the sport, not nascar themselves. Doesn't make it right though. They don't speak for the whole sport as Dale Jr showed.

But nascar even has a diversity program. They've tried to expand their fan base. With more drivers from around the world.

You guys are all over being open and judgment free and all of this and don't even know anything about the sport you're criticizing. There are far more left leaning nascar fans than you realize. Look at the Reddit community If you want proof.

NASCAR fucked up by instituting the Car of Tomorrow. While safer the thing just couldn't hook up with other cars well giving whoever had clean air (up front) a huge advantage. It ruined plate racing so much that you couldn't even drive in packs and you this weird duo racing thing for 2 years. This was at the height of NASCAR appeal and it just sent people away in droves.

Even with the new car they have now you still can't really pass so it's all about track position, pit strategy, and tires, rather than pure skill. Its also now so damn expensive that small teams (if this country actually cared about motorsports, what Truex is doing this year with such a small team is insane and should matter more) that being competitive is nearly impossible unless you are one of the big guys.

I could go on and on but nobody really cares about NASCAR and this racist, small-minded statement by Petty et al doesn't help.

basik

On a right wing forum I spy on they are saying nascars ratings are down and some of them stopped watching because.... nascar banned the confederate flag.

Top Bottom