• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Several Nascar owners say they wouldn’t tolerate national anthem protests at races

Realistically if any big drivers (I'd love to name one for a specific example but I care so little about nascar I don't even want to google it) decided to kneel for the anthem these guys probably wouldn't do shit.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
The only reason NASCAR became popular in the first place, was because IndyCar completely shit the bed and ate itself in 1995.

Branson

What about stock cars?

Also, wasn't NASCAR the fast growing sport in the country? What happened?
Possibility that he might be in the Cup series next year but not set in stone yet.

Also don’t paint the entire fan base as people who support trump. Me and my GF enjoy and watch the sport every week but hate Trump.

NASCAR, where they routinely disrespect the flag by having these cars

Q7DSmuW.jpg

And where they also disrespect the flag by selling these shirts

btaUoM1.jpg

The only reason NASCAR became popular in the first place, was because IndyCar completely shit the bed and ate itself in 1995.
Yeeeeep. Then Sr ran off all those championship runs and looked to be unbeatable

Now there are no name racers left other than Jr and Johnson and they're at the end. So, I can't imagine the sport living much longer as is.

Dishwalla

Banned

Also it had several big stars, Dale Earnhardt, Darrell Waltrip, Rusty Wallace, Bill Elliott, Jeff Gordon, that won races in dramatic fashions in the 80s and 90s. It was entertaining for a while, think the spirit kind of died with Dale Sr.

Lkr

Is this guy advocating for anti-blasphemy laws? Like where do you think Americans be sent if they don't stand up for the national anthem?

Also fitting last name.

they would find themselves on a greyhound bus, per the article. and being put on a greyhound bus is a pretty miserable experience

No. Which is why I find it so strange you put your anthem before pretty much any event. Over here in Holland it is for international games and... I think before our kings yearly speech.
It's a marketing tool. In the mid-90's but especially after 9/11, the military realized they could pay the sporting leagues to market themselves and get recruitment numbers up. It didn't used to be this way. The anthem on TV broadcasts used to be skipped over.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
NASCAR desperately trying to keep their name in the news because of plummeting ratings and ticket revenue.

Derwind

they would find themselves on a greyhound bus, per the article. and being put on a greyhound bus is a pretty miserable experience

The quote i was refering to was advocating for people to be ejected out of the country because they didn't stand for the anthem.

NASCAR ratings and attendance are so bad right now that they're certainly fearful of losing any more of them by not taking a stance against protests

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2017/09/nascar-ratings-2017-chicagoland-lowest-ever-playoff-race/

https://www.si.com/racing/2017/07/07/kurt-busch-clint-bowyer-nascar

Watching auto racing has never been an American thing. Nascar was quite a fad for awhile there but most people have realized how boring it is to watch other people racing cars and moved on after a brief interest. There's a reason why no one in America watches Formula 1 or rally racing either even though those are considerably more interesting than Nascar.

Dishwalla

Banned
There's a level of irony having the American flag painted on a Toyota Camry while they cry out about being "All American" and other jingoistic shit.

I mean Toyota Camrys are proudly made in America. More American than the Ford Fusions or the Chevy SS's that are used right now.

Also it had several big stars, Dale Earnhardt, Darrell Waltrip, Rusty Wallace, Bill Elliott, Jeff Gordon, that won races in dramatic fashions in the 80s and 90s. It was entertaining for a while, think the spirit kind of died with Dale Sr.

It's funny I'm not even a fan of NASCAR and I recognize most of those names. I guess that's living in Texas for Ya'll.

Velcro Fly

The America propaganda machine is second to none.

Hilarious that a bunch of old rich white dudes still trying to tell people what to do and how to do it. The world has changed you fucks. It belongs to everyone.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Sports industry is owned by old white rich racist people. Def not a surprise

The America propaganda machine is second to none.

Hilarious that a bunch of old rich white dudes still trying to tell people what to do and how to do it. The world has changed you fucks. It belongs to everyone.

this is part of the systemic racism machine called institutionalized racism.

Do they even sing the anthem at NASCAR races? Man, what I wouldn't do to see one racer take the knee.

They sing, but the drivers are in their cars when it happens, so none of them could take a knee even if they wanted to. It would basically have to be someone in the pit crew, and those people are generally pretty replaceable anyway.

Also, this goes beyond knowing their audience. They are their audience. Richard Childress and Richard Petty are just as much "good 'ol boys" as the people watching these races.

Dishwalla

Banned
They sing, but the drivers are in their cars when it happens, so none of them could take a knee even if they wanted to. It would basically have to be someone in the pit crew, and those people are generally pretty replaceable anyway.

No they aren't, the drivers stand in front of their cars for the anthem. They had a funny shot of Brad Keselowski today singing along to it even.

JettDash

That redneck idiot pretends he loves American but he actually hates it.

He wants to throw the constitution in the garbage so he can punish fellow Americans by stripping them of their citizenship and throwing them out of the country for the "crime" of not standing up when he thinks they should.

I mean Toyota Camrys are proudly made in America. More American than the Ford Fusions or the Chevy SS's that are used right now.

I mean Toyota is still a Japanese company and the XV70 (XV50, etc) were all still designed and created in Japan by non-Americans. But if simply being built in the US makes it an "American" product then I guess?

entremet

What happened? Wasn't it the fastest growing sport in the world?
Hard to pinpoint exactly, but ticket sales and ratings have fallen of the cliff since it’s peak.

Some say the playoff format and lack of dynamic new talent has hurt it.

I was a Mark Martin fan back in the day.

pablito

Not shocked at all. But getting THIS bothered over national anthem protests still continues to be weird as fuck.

Is there even a single black driver?

Yes, Bubba Wallace. In fact, rumor has been Petty is hiring him as the driver of the #43 next season.

There's also a Mexican driver (Daniel Suarez) who races for Joe Gibbs and won the Xfinity Series title last year, and Petty's previous driver, Aric Almirola, is Cuban-American.

But this is a series where fans want Toyota banned because they are a "non-American" manufacturer, despite them building Camrys and Tundras at their Kentucky plant.

NASCAR is dying for two reasons: it can't find a way to appeal to other sports fans, and it isn't Southern enough for its old fanbase.

Branson

It’s hard being a fan of nascar for me personally. I love racing and it’s the main one I watch, as I watch most of the major ones like F1, INDYCAR, etc. and I’m in America so it’s easier for me to stay up to date with nascar.

I get wrapped up into the “Redneck Trump” crowd yet no one I watch it with supports trump, they don’t only turn left if you know even a small amount about it, I think nascar went to like 3-4 road courses the last couple of months.

I find F1 races just as boring as nascar races too but love both. I just hate that nascar has this stigma and negative connotations about it. They don’t only turn left. Not everyone supports trump and a lot of people within the sport want diversity.

It would be like me asking if only black people watch and play football. I’m not that ignorant.

I hate that these owners are like this though. I wish they would try to help grow the sport rather than taking a stupid political stand on anything. Get politics out of fucking racing.

Top Bottom