• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Several Nascar owners say they wouldn’t tolerate national anthem protests at races

I remember the NASCAR weekends when I had an internship at Talledega. Confederate flags as far as the eye could see, no minorities, and having underage girls participate in wet t-shirt contests for Girls Gone Wild shoots. Not exactly a group I care to listen to.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Nobody outside of that demographic gives a fuck about their boring sport anyway.

Branson

I remember the NASCAR weekends when I had an internship at Talledega. Confederate flags as far as the eye could see, no minorities, and having underage girls participate in wet t-shirt contests for Girls Gone Wild shoots. Not exactly a group I care to listen to.
That’s prime nascar country man lol. That doesn’t surprise me. I bet it’s different at the California races on the west coast. Also when I went to the Kansas race a couple of years ago there were quite a few different minority’s and didn’t really see a lot if any confederate flags.

Madness

What happened? Wasn't it the fastest growing sport in the world?

If you listen to Nascar fans it became too commercialized for mass appeal. They loved the danger, the unregulated nature of it, etc. They feel it is too corporate. Brand identity between cars gone, safety regulations meant to save lives makes it boring for them.

Jackpot

Banned
nascar-confederate-flags.jpg

*flies flag of traitors next to the flag of the country they tried to destroy*

"You're the one being disrespectful!"

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Thanks for wrapping us all up into one demographic. I guess I support trump because I like racing of all types.

Sorry that you're one of like four people in that market that doesn't fit the profile of this thread. Generalization is bad, I agree, but come on dude. NASCAR as an organization panders to a very specific crowd that also makes up probably 98% of their fanbase.

Dishwalla

Banned
It's hard being a fan of nascar for me personally. I love racing and it's the main one I watch, as I watch most of the major ones like F1, INDYCAR, etc. and I'm in America so it's easier for me to stay up to date with nascar.

I get wrapped up into the ”Redneck Trump" crowd yet no one I watch it with supports trump, they don't only turn left if you know even a small amount about it, I think nascar went to like 3-4 road courses the last couple of months.

I find F1 races just as boring as nascar races too but love both. I just hate that nascar has this stigma and negative connotations about it. They don't only turn left. Not everyone supports trump and a lot of people within the sport want diversity.

It would be like me asking if only black people watch and play football. I'm not that ignorant.

I hate that these owners are like this though. I wish they would try to help grow the sport rather than taking a stupid political stand on anything. Get politics out of fucking racing.

My biggest problem with NASCAR is it's no longer fun to watch(insert haha was it ever fun to watch joke here). They have imposed too many changes and made it insanely confusing, still don't fully understand the Chase. Also most weeks it seems like the winners or other well performing cars fail some minor thing in the post race inspections which results in wins being negated and fines imposed, and it gets tiring. Its really hard to watch and follow anymore.

Then you add into the mix these statements today, and I have to wonder why I continue.

Velcro Fly

You have all sorts of commissioners of leagues and owners of teams coming out in solidarity with their players.

Then you have team owners for NASCAR, who obviously know the target demographic, doing this.

What will end up happening eventually is owners who are complete assholes about this may have car sponsors pulling their dollars out.

Branson

Let me guess, they are all under Petty
Only Wallace might be next year.
My biggest problem with NASCAR is it's no longer fun to watch(insert haha was it ever fun to watch joke here). They have imposed too many changes and made it insanely confusing, still don't fully understand the Chase. Also most weeks it seems like the winners or other well performing cars fail some minor thing in the post race inspections which results in wins being negated and fines imposed, and it gets tiring. Its really hard to watch and follow anymore.

Then you add into the mix these statements today, and I have to wonder why I continue.

I really enjoy the playoff format and stages as it has produced some good racing over the last couple of years but I get why there’s a lot that don’t like it. My GF who got into racing recently actually prefers it over something like F1 where you can win the championship 3 races out. Keeps her interested until the last race.

She also likes the personalities of the sport so it’s interesting to compare the old fan(me) who can accept change and a super new fan that likes it how it is now and thinks ending the championship 4 races out would be boring.

DrSlek

Yet another reason to watch the many, many more exciting racing sports like F1, Touring Cars, Le Mans, and Rallying. Watching people turn left for 4 hours is pretty fucking boring anyway.

Slayven

Hard to pinpoint exactly, but ticket sales and ratings have fallen of the cliff since it’s peak.

Some say the playoff format and lack of dynamic new talent has hurt it.

I was a Mark Martin fan back in the day.

If you listen to Nascar fans it became too commercialized for mass appeal. They loved the danger, the unregulated nature of it, etc. They feel it is too corporate. Brand identity between cars gone, safety regulations meant to save lives makes it boring for them.

The falloff must have been hella quick, cause i swore every other article was about how it was taking over just a few years ago. I must admit i would laugh if it fell below e-sports and soccer in ratings and popularity.

Branson

Yet another reason to watch the many, many more exciting racing sports like F1, Touring Cars, Le Mans, and Rallying. Watching people turn left for 4 hours is pretty fucking boring anyway.

Yeah, because Nascar on road courses arent some of the best races of the year for the series, and modern fans aren't pushing for more roadcourses. Last couple of months theyve been to, Watkins Glen, Road America, Mid Ohio in the 3 main NASCAR series and all of those races were pretty good.

F1 can be fucking boring as hell too. Sometimes racing is just like that. You cant tell me the last couple of years have been "great" to watch Mercedes single file ride around leading 50 seconds ahead. There are good moments sprinkled in like any series.

So what do you do when in an F1 race, Lewis Hamilton, who has a 5 second lead on second for 40 laps, takes a left turn? Do you want to change the channel? Is turning left forbidden in motorsports?

I know I hate it personally, it reminds me of all of the Rednecks in the south everytime I have to take a left turn in my car at a stoplight. I generally only want to turn right in my car. /s

Szu

They're catering to a demographic who probably thinks the last verse in the national anthem is "Racers, start your engines!"

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Get into F1 if you want to support racing.
Just watch IndyCar, it has a bit of NASCAR, a bit of F1 and you don't have to wake up at 6 in the morning to catch races. Plus, it has a very diverse field of drivers. It's not "boring" like some would say about F1 and there's none of the bullshit gimmicks that NASCAR has.

Pryce

Just watch IndyCar, it has a bit of NASCAR, a bit of F1 and you don't have to wake up at 6 in the morning to catch races. Plus, it has a very diverse field of drivers. It's not "boring" like some would say about F1 and there's none of the bullshit gimmicks that NASCAR has.

I'm going to get hate for this but IndyCar is not very good. F1 is much better on the road courses, and NASCAR is better on the ovals. The INDY 500 is all you need.

I watched NASCAR every week in the late 90's and early to mid 2000's. It had some great names back then. Gordon, Martin, Elliott, Dale Sr., Wallace, Stewart....shit was fucking good back then.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Fake News to a degree.

Richard Petty isn't the actual main owner.

Most of the real owners said either they don't care or even if they do they aren't gonna fire guys over it.

http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/20805201/no-national-anthem-protests-made-prior-nascar-race

However, when reached by ESPN, Andy Murstein, the majority owner of Richard Petty Motorsports, said he would not fire an employee who protests.

"I would sit down with them and say it's the wrong thing to do that, and many people, including myself, view it as an affront to our great country," Murstein told ESPN in a text message. "If there is disenchantment towards the president or a few bad law enforcement officers, don't have it cross over to all that is still good and right about our country."

lush

"If there is disenchantment towards the president or a few bad law enforcement officers, don't have it cross over to all that is still good and right about our country."

"I'm a privileged asshole with zero empathy or desire to understand others."

Terrible verbiage. They’re not “protesting the national anthem.” They’re protesting racism and police abuse of power, during the national anthem.

And yet NASCAR Jesus is openly supportive of these protests.

Hopefully Dale Jr. takes a televised knee, and the commentators don't shit all over him afterwards. It would at least throw a monkey wrench into the discussion amongst NASCAR fans, where the vast majority are sipping that Trump Hatorade.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Good on Dale for stepping up here.

Top Bottom