• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Several Nascar owners say they wouldn’t tolerate national anthem protests at races

jbug617

Banned
Several NASCAR team owners said Sunday they would not condone racers protesting during the national anthem, amid protests by sports players at football and baseball games.

There were no protests reported during “The Star-Spangled Banner" at the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series in New Hampshire, according to The Associated Press.

Former NASCAR champion Richard Petty told the AP that any member of his team would be fired if they chose to protest the national anthem. Petty now owns Richard Petty Motorsports.

“Anybody that don’t stand up for the anthem oughta be out of the country. Period. What got ’em where they’re at? The United States,” Petty said in comments reported by The AP.

Richard Childress, a former drive who owns Richard Childress Racing, said any protests from his team members would “get you a ride on a Greyhound bus.”

“Anybody that works for me should respect the country we live in. So many people gave their lives for it. This is America,” Childress reportedly said.

The comments from the NASCAR owners come as NFL players took part in protests at games across the country after Trump slammed players who take a knee, rather than stand, during the national anthem.

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/35...nt-tolerate-national-anthem-protests-at-races

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
If a NASCAR sporting a Stars and Stripes paint job crashes during a race and catches on fire does that count as flag burning?

Madness

Water is wet. What is crazy to me is, this whole Trump comment stuff made NFL even more watched so that somehow the original BoycottNFL stopped but more players took knees and even Rober Kraft called out Trump and mamy owners said players have the right to take a knee. Really did a 180 with more players taking knees and Trump voters vowing to boycott.

BriGuy

Ironic how the people who purportedly love this country the most are the ones who respect its guiding principles the least.

SArcher

Banned
giphy.gif

NASCAR ratings and attendance are so bad right now that they're certainly fearful of losing any more of them by not taking a stance against protests

NASCAR Cup Series racing from Chicagoland, the first race of the playoffs (nee Chase For the Cup), had a 1.4 rating and 2.3 million viewers on NBCSN Sunday — down 13% in ratings and 14% in viewership from last year (1.6, 2.7M) and down 26% and 28% respectively from 2015 (1.9, 3.2M).

Excluding rainouts, Martin Truex Jr.‘s win ranks as the lowest rated and least-watched Cup Series race at Chicagoland (dates back to 2001) and the lowest rated and least-watched playoff race at any track (dates back to 2004).

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2017/09/nascar-ratings-2017-chicagoland-lowest-ever-playoff-race/

It’s a sport that prides itself on having fan access like no other can provide, yet the number of fans willing to show up and tune in is slipping.

It’s no secret the numbers aren’t what they used to be. NASCAR stopped giving attendance estimates in 2012, but at many races, empty seats can be found in abundance.

In the last 13 years NASCAR has gone through a series of changes in the hopes of drawing more viewers. In 2004, a playoff format was introduced to make the end of season more competitive. Prior to the change a driver could race well to start the season and then coast through the remainder of the races, leaving fans little to get excited about. Since then, more updates have taken place, some minor and some major, all in the name of viewership.

https://www.si.com/racing/2017/07/07/kurt-busch-clint-bowyer-nascar

legacyzero

Banned
It's NASCAR. We all know their target demo.

I'd argue though- Aren't drivers in full garb, and strapped into their cars during the Anthem? Kinda hard to protest when you're strapped in and have very little room for movement.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
I've been to 1 NASCAR race in my life and it was enough to make me never want to do it again. It was like 4 hours of sheer fucking boredom while I stared into the sun for most of the fucking day surrounded by "America's best". Just all around one of the worst fucking experiences of my life.

This just makes it a million times easier for me to say I'll never give NASCAR a single penny or a single minute of my time.

I'm confused as to why they felt the need to make such statements, I don't think there's a soul in America that expected NASCAR folks to do anything lol

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
The vinn diagram for NASCAR fans and Trump voters is as close to a perfect circle as it could be so this isn't shocking.

Totally cool having confederate flags all over their sport though.

norm9

Meanwhile, audience guzzling beer and eating nachos in yhe stands. This antiprotest shit strictly for brownie points and is as useful as thoughts and prayers.

Hopefully the m&m car's owner isnt a bigot.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
NASCAR is a trash series with trash fans. It is a damn shame it overtook IndyCar as the nation's most popular motorsport.

I used to think the same thing till I ended up stationed down south while in the military. Apparently many southerners eat it up. Prior to being stationed in the south I never knew a single person that ever watched it or interested in it.

Like I posted above, fan support for NASCAR is dropping steadily. The biggest issue is actually exactly what you mentioned. Its target audience is extremely narrow. They fucked up and refused to try to expand outside of that box even though I know at least Dale Earnhardt Jr. had actively encouraged them to do so.

How about you stop playing your national anthem at any sports event? Do that during international matches. What is even the use when you play against teams from your own country.

Chris R

lol at NASCAR being even a tenth of the importance of football for americans

their audience is all trumpites anyway

I'm watching NASCAR right now and I'm not a trumpite.

Thanks for painting us with a broad brush.

NASCAR will eventually get headed in the right direction, but it was a good ol boy sport until pretty recently. I'd love to see a driver protest though, and watch the owner not follow through with their weak ass threats.

Derwind

“Anybody that don’t stand up for the anthem oughta be out of the country. Period. What got ’em where they’re at? The United States,” Petty said in comments reported by The AP.

Is this guy advocating for anti-blasphemy laws? Like where do you think Americans be sent if they don't stand up for the national anthem?

Also fitting last name.

Top Bottom