• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Makeapp application removes makeup and has a giant backlash from some women

Basketball

Did you guys hear about this?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/makeapp-ai-based-editor/id1236717369?mt=8

The app is similar to those that make you hotter, ages, adds a smile or even changes your race.

But I heard about this app on the interwebs and some people are going nuts. The App removes the makeup from a photographed face. App is called sexist, problematic etc too sum up the many articles/stories/twitter. A big knock many of these people have against the app is that the creator is a man. The app also adds makeup but the removal is causing all the ruckus.

What do you guys think?

Is this app offensive/sexist/problematic etc ?

examples
DOohw1yXUAAHmYY.jpg

DOplwryW4AEt9QD.jpg

This app is amazing, I put my wife through it and she looks the same, as she doesn't really wear that much make up. Seems to be pretty accurate.

I also find it funny that feminist types are calling it sexist and misogynistic.. All about female empowerment unless there's an app that takes off make up, surely they have better things to focus on?

tib

Neo Member
Do we know how accurate this app is?
It's a neural network. Which means it guesses based on known patterns. It's not 100% right. I saw some images floating around where people used before and after photos of models. They took the after photo and used the app to compare it with the before photo. Shockingly most models actually looked better on the makeapp picture. The reason was that many had acne or little scars which was hidden by the makeup.

To keep it short: yes, it's pretty accurate, which is the reason why a lot of women want this thing to get removed. So don't be suprised if it disapears from the app store soon.

llien

Using which definition of "sexism" would this app be sexist?
Which negative stereotypes does it push for and whom does it discriminate against?

Saturnman

Banned
Using the app to remove makeup on photos where there is no makeup on to begin with gives funky results. It's like making anyone 20 years older and sicker looking

To be fair, this still leaves you with exactly the same skin - it just changes everything to more neutral colours. It doesn't restore slim blemishes or mixed complexions or roseynes... what they're actually trying to hide ;P So why are they complaining?

PJV3

I'm not bothered by it, but I'm not exactly impressed with it either. I guess I don't really see the point in stripping paint off wood either.

Naked Trump is something I can live without.

WaterAstro

I think it's a sexist ideal that women should be wearing makeup. I tell all my female friends to be confident without makeup.

D

Deleted member 713885

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's a sexist ideal that women should be wearing makeup. I tell all my female friends to be confident without makeup.

I'm guessing you ingest a lot of Soy also?

Yoir females friends give fuck all what you think. Chicks wear makeup and look good for each other.

Aside from that, we are animals at heart. Everyone wants to peacock.

Dunki

I have seen people blaming this also on Russians or how some wishing to physically assault the maker of this app.

Or just stuff liek this from verified accounts

I'm still not over this women-without-makeup app thing, though. How you hate women so much that you've never knowingly seen barefaced and up close? How you hate women so much that you think you deserve to see a woman's bare face who don't know you like that, without her consent?

https://twitter.com/bmluse/status/930573842493341696

I mean what?

Dunki

Shoe0nHead did a pretty good video about it just now. It even has a statement of the developer who also in contact with some organisations to actually identify missing people who were victims human trafficking since they often disguise these people via make up.

But oh boy some of these upset comments are also eyeopening^^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=36&v=N6Vso14TuwI

If you have 8 minutes to spend its pretty great^^

Ecto311

So women who wear makeup are cheating huh

How is it not? Sometimes it is so subtle and brings out certain aspects of their looks that are not really there. Then in the morning it's a huge difference once they clean it off. I always prefer no make up at all. Unless it's halloween then ok fuck that shit up. Same as padded or stuffed bras. It's like me getting fake abs with paint or a potato in my pants.

nemoral

Banned
App is called sexist, problematic etc too sum up the many articles/stories/twitter. A big knock many of these people have against the app is that the creator is a man. The app also adds makeup but the removal is causing all the ruckus.

I think we only have your word that anyone cares about this, since you couldn't be bothered to link any examples of the "outrage" you're talking about.

Chille

How is it not? Sometimes it is so subtle and brings out certain aspects of their looks that are not really there. Then in the morning it's a huge difference once they clean it off. I always prefer no make up at all. Unless it's halloween then ok fuck that shit up. Same as padded or stuffed bras. It's like me getting fake abs with paint or a potato in my pants.

I have a sudden urge to shove a potato in my pants just to see how people react, now is it one potato or two? would a cucumber work better?

Mahadev

Oh God, clickbait media and the idiots who consume them found another pointless controversy to whine about, didn't they?

Also Trump looks like an old lady.

nemoral

Banned
gamergate girls? lol but sure if you believe this? She does not even care about games^^

Dude, she did multiple videos in favor of, was poster girl for #notyourshield, was a member of Honey Badgers, etc. She's an alt-right twit.

So far as I can tell, no one actually cares about this other than shitty drama sites and places like HuffPo who live to generate outrage articles.

But you do you and get real worked up about it, then go break a Keurig, and cry about the War on Christmas while you shout "snowflake" at people.

Dunki

Dude, she did multiple videos in favor of, was poster girl for #notyourshield, was a member of Honey Badgers, etc. She's an alt-right twit.

So far as I can tell, no one actually cares about this other than shitty drama sites and places like HuffPo who live to generate outrage articles.

But you do you and get real worked up about it, then go break a Keurig, and cry about the War on Christmas while you shout "snowflake" at people.

sure alt right I bet you never watched any of her videos.

And most of these comments in the video which litterally wish death to the maker are based on the new york mag artcile.

Also I already mentioned the war on christmas shit. These are extreme sides. War an christmas is as stupid as meanspreading etc. but you do you. And instead of watching a video which has a very solid argumentation and even features a statement of the developer you rather just want to play the she is alt right so i dont care what she is saying card.

nemoral

Banned
And instead of watching a video which has a very solid argumentation and even features a statement of the developer you rather just want to play the she is alt right so i dont care what she is saying card.

I watched her moronic videos during gamergate, which is why I knew you were full of shit. And no, I don't care what some alt-right twit has to say.

Ecto311

I have a sudden urge to shove a potato in my pants just to see how people react, now is it one potato or two? would a cucumber work better?

One and in the front if it wasn't obvious. In the back has way different results.

Top Bottom