• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable Heroes Screenshot Blowout (XBLA, Gauntlet meets Mario Party spinoff)

I get a lot of enjoyment out of some of the mature aspects of fable, and i just dont want them to throw out the drinking, sex, prostitutes, condoms and cheating on a wife because they're focusing on family friendly stuff. These are the sim aspects i love in the game, i just dont want the baby out with the bath water i guess.

Both this and The Journey are spin-offs, I don't think the tone will change that much in the main games.

The proper games continuously sell well and Fable 2 was received amazingly well critically, and even Fable 3 was considered good if not matching up to Fable 2. But people here make it out to be this bottom barrel franchise. They get more upset with Peter's words than anything the franchise or game actually puts out.

I really enjoyed Fable 1, mostly enjoyed Fable 2, and came away with a sour taste from Fable 3.

I assumed the vitriol Fable 3 got was unwarranted, as the hate that Fable 2 got was mostly unjustified, but no, Fable 3 was not considered good by most people and turned a lot of the people off from the franchise, as well as being filled with really bizarre design choices.

It seems like the Fable franchise is heading off into a different direction than its 'more RPG-like zelda' roots. Sales will determine whether that is a good thing or not, I guess, as critical acclaim is definitely of the opinion it is on a downward spiral currently.

Alx

I'm not really fond of the character designs (there are many puppet characters out there that look better, Sackboy, Voodoo Vince, Gunstringer...), but I'll reserve my judgment until we see it in motion. Usually all the charm is (or isn't) in the way those characters move.

The lack of kinect support is surprising considering the genre, but at least it will spare us some complaining here... ;)

An RPG mixed with a party game? Could be amazing. Haters gonna hate, but at least Molyneux and chums are actually trying something different, even if MS makes them slap the Fable logo on the box.

It seems like the Fable franchise is heading off into a different direction than its 'more RPG-like zelda' roots. Sales will determine whether that is a good thing or not, I guess, as critical acclaim is definitely of the opinion it is on a downward spiral currently.

I think that's a bit too harsh. Fable III was a misstep, but I wouldn't use the phrase "downward spiral" on account of just one game. If the next mainline game is not better received, then sure.

Nibel

They don't seem to know what to do with the franchise anymore.

Hilarious, really. And sad since I loved the first Fable and played through it for like 4 times. Still, hilarious, really.

Hilarious, really. And sad since I loved the first Fable and played through it for like 4 times. Still, hilarious, really.

I think it seems pretty obvious what they want to do. Right now they're developing Fable 4 for the next console, and in the meantime they are doing a Kinect focused Fable game, so they can get the Fable IP out to Kinect owners.

And to drive more revenue and increase awareness for XBLA, they are tying in a XBLA hack & slash to the Kinect game, in an effort to make more people aware of XBLA and the ability to purchase games on there.

To me it seems calculated and typical of Fable, since this is not the first time they are tying a XBLA game to a retail game. This time the XBLA project just seems more substantial then before.

nasos_333

It is just a XBLA spin off, like Fable Golf was for WP7

Journey seems amazing and of course Fable 4 on xbox 720 will be amazing too

Now, if instead of Fable 4, they make Fable Heroes 2 for xbox 720, i will start to worry :)

I think it seems pretty obvious what they want to do. Right now they're developing Fable 4 for the next console, and in the meantime they are doing a Kinect focused Fable game, so they can get the Fable IP out to Kinect owners.

And to drive more revenue and increase awareness for XBLA, they are tying in a XBLA hack & slash to the Kinect game, in an effort to make more people aware of XBLA and the ability to purchase games on there.

To me it seems calculated and typical of Fable, since this is not the first time they are tying a XBLA game to a retail game. This time the XBLA project just seems more substantial then before.

They are expanding the market, that has been MS policy for years now

Fable 1 going to PC

Fable 2 exclusive

Fable 3 going to PC

Fable Golf on Phone

Fable Mini game on Live before the game arrived

Fable Heroes is in the same startegy, expand the market to everyone that has not yet bought into Fable franshise

Journey is their link to Kinect

Fable 4 for xbox 720 will be their next major game, which is made by Fable 3 team as they have confirmed

I would expect the Heroes game to be on WP7 too at some point and offer cross play

Has been same with Halo, Gears, Alan Wake

Some of those go to PC to expand the market that will buy an xbox for the next exclusive on xbox sequel

Their only mistake is making a big deal of this game, than Fable Journey

I mean a 6 days timer should count down to something really huge, so people dont get disspointed

derFeef

So.. it's like gauntlet? What is it?

edit: jesus christ the kneejerk reactions... come on folks, just because it's Fable?

Kafel

Banned
After the intial shock I must say it looks good and it could well be a game I want to play.

It's what matters to me.

I mean a 6 days timer should count down to something really huge, so people dont get disspointed

They said from the outset that it was counting down to a new website reveal, together with a little surprise. I don't get the impression that they're making a bigger deal of Heroes than of The Journey, it's just that this one is newly revealed so it's normal that it gets more exposure initially.

acm2000

actually looks really nice, will give the demo a shot, not overly keen on hack n slash games tho, so it will have to do something unique to draw me in.

nasos_333

They said from the outset that it was counting down to a new website reveal, together with a little surprise. I don't get the impression that they're making a bigger deal of Heroes than of The Journey, it's just that this one is newly revealed so it's normal that it gets more exposure initially.

They never said little surprise though, so we could assume anything

Of course deep inside i wanted to be Fable 4 reveal, but that would make no sense since Fable 4 is coming to xbox 720 and could not be announced before 720 is even revealed :)

verbatimo

tumblr_ltu3t8SYmp1qfjjglo1_400.gif

It is just a XBLA spin off, like Fable Golf was for WP7

Journey seems amazing and of course Fable 4 on xbox 720 will be amazing too

Now, if instead of Fable 4, they make Fable Heroes 2 for xbox 720, i will start to worry :)

They are expanding the market, that has been MS policy for years now

Fable 1 going to PC

Fable 2 exclusive

Fable 3 going to PC

Fable Golf on Phone

Fable Mini game on Live before the game arrived

Fable Heroes is in the same startegy, expand the market to everyone that has not yet bought into Fable franshise

Journey is their link to Kinect

Fable 4 for xbox 720 will be their next major game, which is made by Fable 3 team as they have confirmed

I would expect the Heroes game to be on WP7 too at some point and offer cross play

Has been same with Halo, Gears, Alan Wake

Some of those go to PC to expand the market that will buy an xbox for the next exclusive on xbox sequel

Their only mistake is making a big deal of this game, than Fable Journey

OH GOD, WHO LET LABWARRIOR/THESEEKER JOIN NEOGAF?!?!?!?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
what did you expect? its gaf. cant wait to see more of this, sounds fun.

A stupid generalization that doesn't mean anything confronting valid arguments and opinions against how this game looks?

Good one.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
valid arguments huh?

Yeah. Every screen looks like a mess, and it's hard to figure out what's goin on in each of them. That's one of the valid arguments that can be found throughout this thread.

But, you're right, I guess we're all cynics, so negative opinions don't count. Only your praise is valid.

S1kkZ

Yeah. Every screen looks like a mess, and it's hard to figure out what's goin on in each of them. That's one of the valid arguments that can be found throughout this thread.

But, you're right, I guess we're all cynics, so negative opinions don't count. Only your praise is valid.

praise? because i want to see more of this? oh boy...

Log4Girlz

Looks oddly compelling. I only really played the second (and completed it), it never even got close to fulfilling any of its potential...may as well try something totally different.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
I think it's kinda cute, hahahah :D

If only that tied in with something from Fable itself art-wise - like, say, there were toys that looked like that in Albion.
Or maybe it is there and no one noticed #inception

Either way, I'm curious to see this in action.

Salz01

I'm sure somebody out there will like this, but that somebody ain't me. Saw the trailer, character designs are epic shit...

Scanna

c'mon guys, let's not be too harsh...it's going to cost around 10 bucks and it may end up to be fun too...it's not "the next big thing"

Dear god. Even putting aside the weirdness of this direction for the IP, I literally can't tell what's happening in those screenshots without staring for a while.

Maybe it will look better in motion? :|

EDIT: Well, marginally better...

EDIT 2: The gameplay looks fine. Simple but solid hack-and-slash stuff. But the overall balance of all the onscreen elements seems totally off for some reason I can't articulate. It looks slapped together and amateurish (visually) in a lot of the areas in that trailer.

Why are the backgrounds so damn BRIGHT? It distracts from everything happening in the foreground.

megalowho

So what's up with Lionhead? Are they just too insecure to do anything but expand the Fable brand at this point, or is that all Microsoft's doing?

Regardless of how this turns out, I'm gonna miss the classic Molyneux stereotype of an unreasonable visionary. Don't think it really applies anymore.

bengraven

I want to go back to 2002-2004 when I was super hyped about Fable coming out and allllll the promises of this huge, ever-evolving RPG world that I could get lost in forever...

...so that I can't be as heartbroken as I am today about this franchise.

Top Bottom