• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable Heroes Screenshot Blowout (XBLA, Gauntlet meets Mario Party spinoff)

The art-style is probably the biggest turn-off for me at the moment. It looks like it could be a 360 launch era XBLA game.

The rest isn't particularly exciting, either.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I love how nearly everyone here hates it.

Yet the trailer made me think about getting a 360 again. I really like the style.

Gaspode_T

Looks for family/kid audiences, like I said if I didn't know it was Fable I would have thought it was a Costume Quest sequel or something. Fable Sexual Education Edition or Milo The Creepy Kid That Knows Where You Are will have to wait for another day.

Raide

Oh wow hahaha. What are they doing at Lionhead? They just don't give a fuck anymore.

Wait, do you think that everyone in Lionhead is making an XBLA game? Really?

This is just a massive stop-gap while they work on Fable 4 720 Edition. BELIEVE!

The art-style is probably the biggest turn-off for me at the moment. It looks like it could be a 360 launch era XBLA game.

The rest isn't particularly exciting, either.

Agreed, the art is so off-putting. They might as well have thrown in XBLA avatars or Miis in place of their "characters."

Gorki247

Agreed, the art is so off-putting. They might as well have thrown in XBLA avatars or Miis in place of their "characters."

Except avatars (or Mii's??) wouldn't fit with the concept; their characters do (you know, with them being the actual hero dolls from the Fable series).

Tucah

you speak so well
Probably should have been a new franchise instead of a Fable game but I actually think this looks pretty cool. Hell, I'm a lot more interested in this than The Journey or even a Fable 4.

This is what happens when England attempts cute.

The turtle and cow in black and white... That was the cutest things ever and I dare you to say otherwise.
LLShC.gif

alphaNoid

Banned
I showed this to my wife and she asked if I would buy it so we can play together. I would say this game has marginal appeal.

Dabanton

EG really likes it

Some quotes posted below.

It's rare to be surprised by anything these days. Microsoft's Spring Showcase in San Francisco promised a day of feigning astonishment as Playground's Forza was finally unveiled, and a skinny overview of what to expect from the next Halo was given (spoiler: it's got guns in it, and maybe a space marine or two).

The look of shock when presented with Fable Heroes, a four player beat 'em-up that presents a knit-work Albion by way of Castle Crashers, was genuine - as were the expressions of delight after playing what's shaping up to be an utterly charming off-shoot for Lionhead's fantasy series.

Fable Heroes is the product of one of Lionhead's creative days, an annual in-house meeting where the team throws around ideas. "The things that usually come out of it are a new piece of technology or a toolset," says Ted Timmins, formerly a quest designer on Fable 3 and now promoted to lead designer of Fable Heroes. "This is the first time that a videogame has come out of it, and it's great - it puts that extra bit of pressure on us because we won't get this opportunity again, and we want other people to have this opportunity."

It's a score attack at heart, and one that comes alive with a series of nasty little quirks and twists that turn a simple button-basher into a frantic quest for gold. Chests are littered across levels, offering either a handful of gold or - more entertainingly - a power-up.

Beneath the soft exterior and family friendly warmth is a game that's quick to get its teeth into players of all ages and abilities. It's telling that, in a showcase that sees what is arguably Microsoft's strongest ever line-up fronted by Halo 4, it's a small and unexpected XBLA game that leaves everyone wild-eyed with excitement. Fable Heroes is a surprise, and an utterly charming one at that.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-05-fable-heroes-preview-little-big-fable

If I can earn better gear to lord it up over other players, I think I might be down for it.

Art was definitely a little off- putting at first, but I can see myself growing to like it.

I'm always willing to give a new dungeon crawler variation a try, even if it seems to be incorporating mario party- like elements.

I think a lot of GAFers have lost all connection with actual gaming and seem to enjoy emo whining a lot more.. All previews seem very positive, I love it when devs like Lionhead go back to core gameplay.

scitek

Is it wrong that I wish Double Fine would make something like this in the Costume Quest universe sans Kinect?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
pr
Publisher: Microsoft Studios

Developer: Lionhead Studios

Format: Xbox LIVE Arcade on Xbox 360

ESRB Rating: Pending

Product

Overview: “Fable Heroes” is an action-packed, hack-and-slash adventure built for Xbox LIVE Arcade. It delivers a fresh spin on the “Fable” franchise with a unique art style and gameplay that takes playful competition to the next level, with four-player multiplayer time trials and leaderboards on Xbox LIVE.* Whether on the couch or using Xbox LIVE co-op, players work together to defeat enemies while also competing with one another to collect gold coins and level up.

Features: “Fable Heroes” includes the following features:

Challenge friends and foes. Pick your favorite hero and join forces with up to four of your friends to defeat your enemies. At the same time, compete with your friends to collect gold coins, which will level up your character and unlock items in “Fable: The Journey” when it launches later this year.**

Explore a reimagined Albion. “Fable Heroes” was developed by Lionhead employees who have been fans of the franchise from day one. It includes regions, enemies and characters that fans of the “Fable” franchise will recognize, but with a unique art style that offers a fresh take on the world of Albion.

Level up. Unlock features such as finishing moves, flourishes and power ups that will make your hero an unstoppable force.

Play again and again. As you progress through the game, you will unlock increasingly difficult levels and minigames that will challenge you to gain new powers, beat your previous score and climb the leaderboards. In addition, you can set the difficulty from the start, offering a challenge for experts and novices alike.

I think a lot of GAFers have lost all connection with actual gaming and seem to enjoy emo whining a lot more.. All previews seem very positive, I love it when devs like Lionhead go back to core gameplay.

I was just about to say that everyone likes it except for GAF. So much bitterness and cynicism...

I was just about to say that everyone likes it except for GAF. So much bitterness and cynicism...

I'm disappointed it's not a 'proper' fable title, but the footage does look good and the previews are mostly positive, so based on that, my interest is somewhat piqued.

Having said that, I would love for LH to work on a proper Fable downloadable title, something similar to Fable 1 in terms of quality, gameplay, openness, etc. Alan Wake has upped the bar in terms of what I now expect from titles on the service.

pakkit

Banned
I didn't really like it.

Visual noise - It seems to have taken on the Costume Quest style, but in a few of those screens it was very hard to discern front from background.

Visual Design - Not my cup of tea, personally. The environments look like Fable, but the characters look like some Jack in the Box abomination. Consistency, ala Little Big Planet or even Gauntlet, goes a long way.

Low Camera Angles - Some of those fights really could have used isometric views or at least higher angles, as they were just a jumbled mess from the lower angle.

Minigames - Fable has been dealing with its split personality of moralism and game innovation versus it's super easy difficulty and kiddy interactions for a while now. This game is obviously more catered to the young crowd, which is fine, but personally I'd like to see a split project that maybe focuses on refining the more ambitious aspects of Lionhead games.

*PS It looks like mindless fun, I haven't played it, the visual sharpness could stand on a HD television

overcast

Eurogamer said:
Beneath the soft exterior and family friendly warmth is a game that's quick to get its teeth into players of all ages and abilities. It's telling that, in a showcase that sees what is arguably Microsoft's strongest ever line-up fronted by Halo 4, it's a small and unexpected XBLA game that leaves everyone wild-eyed with excitement. Fable Heroes is a surprise, and an utterly charming one at that.
Hmm.. strongest line up? What other exclusives are coming out?

Lingitiz

Hmm.. strongest line up? What other exclusives are coming out?

Halo 4
Forza Horizon
Fable: The Journey (lol)
Star Wars: Kinect (lol)
Ryse

And a shitload of arcade games. Also I read some interview where they talked about debuting a new IP this year but I could be wrong.

Top Bottom