• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable Heroes Screenshot Blowout (XBLA, Gauntlet meets Mario Party spinoff)

ektoll

It's unexpected... but, reading the preview from the guardian, it's seems fun (I like the "black cloud" idea). Can't blame Lionhead for trying something fresh!

watership

I just want to be absolutely clear here. Everyone is shitting on this because of the art/design right? Not gameplay, animation, entertainment value?

bede-x

Hmm.. strongest line up? What other exclusives are coming out?

Between Kinect, retail and XBLA they actually seem to have quite a big line up. Haven't got a full list for Microsoft Studios published games in 2012, but I think the amount would surprise a lot of people. So much potentially good stuff on XBLA.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Definitely not what I was after, but chances are that it'll still be better than Fable 3.

nasos_333

I think a lot of GAFers have lost all connection with actual gaming and seem to enjoy emo whining a lot more.. All previews seem very positive, I love it when devs like Lionhead go back to core gameplay.

Indeed, both Heroes and Journey seem to try for new gameplay, after the mediocre combat system in Fable 3

I would definatly want to see Journey creation/spell system in Fable 4 for example, would make the boring one button combat a lot more interesting

Heroes seems very good too gameplay wise, i was negative at first glance, but after the video and hands on i think i will buy this game, love the boss battles option too

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Here's some gameplay I recorded over the weekend. I set the vids to 'Public' after the embargo lifted this morning.

http://youtu.be/wMfY5mtdjm0?hd=1

http://youtu.be/XlK5DfzcHaY?hd=1

Thanks for the vids, guys. I keep finding this game looking much better in coherent gameplay, rather than flashy, unfocused trailers.

It's nice to look at this game as more of a follow-up to Gauntlet series, rather than Castle Crashers, or more combo-oriented brawlers like Street of Rage or Battle Circuit. I can see this game being fun in that Gauntlet Legends style.

The mini-games seem like a great counter to the traditional "this is too repeatitive!" complaint. It allows them to keep the combat engine straight-forward, without trying to make things "fresh" by bogging it down with a bunch of over-complex fillers.

Having said that, the extra they did add in seems to be fun stuff. Big head modes, shrinking or giant characters, disguising as one of your enemies, and even moral choices. It seems to hit on all that Fable holds dear, but in a whimsical way (that is thankfully more in depth than "teehee, fart jokes!")

Looks like one of the freshest things from Lionhead in a good while, well worth giving a chance.

Thanks for the vids, guys. I keep finding this game looking much better in coherent gameplay, rather than flashy, unfocused trailers.

It's nice to look at this game as more of a follow-up to Gauntlet series, rather than Castle Crashers, or more combo-oriented brawlers like Street of Rage or Battle Circuit. I can see this game being fun in that Gauntlet Legends style.

The mini-games seem like a great counter to the traditional "this is too repeatitive!" complaint. It allows them to keep the combat engine straight-forward, without trying to make things "fresh" by bogging it down with a bunch of over-complex fillers.

Having said that, the extra they did add in seems to be fun stuff. Big head modes, shrinking or giant characters, disguising as one of your enemies, and even moral choices. It seems to hit on all that Fable holds dear, but in a whimsical way (that is thankfully more in depth than "teehee, fart jokes!")

Looks like one of the freshest things from Lionhead in a good while, well worth giving a chance.

I agree, this looks great! I don't get where all the hate is coming from. Gives me high hopes for The Journey and possibly Fable IV if that ever happens.

That said, I would like to see Lionhead exploring a new franchise.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
I know people are disappointed that this isn't a new Fable(and after three I hope they make changes) but honestly I think it looks really fun.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Might as well post my review roundup from the XBLA thread:

6/10 - Eurogamer
5.5/10 - RipTen
3.5/10 - Destructoid
6/10 - EDGE
3/5 - Digital Spy
3.5/5 - Pocketlint
8/10 - CraveOnline <- Maybe they're the only ones that "get" it?

MeGreencastle, tinfoilhatman, think we're in for an interesting XBLA Wednesday demo session! I do like how the 8/10 reviewer mentioned they had more fun with this game than any of the Lego games, haha. Looking forward to getting some personal hands-on time with the game.

Might as well post my review roundup from the XBLA thread:

6/10 - Eurogamer
5.5/10 - RipTen
3.5/10 - Destructoid
6/10 - EDGE
3/5 - Digital Spy
3.5/5 - Pocketlint
8/10 - CraveOnline <- Maybe they're the only ones that "get" it?

MeGreencastle, tinfoilhatman, think we're in for an interesting XBLA Wednesday demo session! I do like how the 8/10 reviewer mentioned they had more fun with this game than any of the Lego games, haha. Looking forward to getting some personal hands-on time with the game.

Disappointing reviews. However, I'll be trying it for myself to see if I like it. Honestly don't have enough of these types of games on my Xbox. Wait and see, I suppose, but it still looks like a lot of fun to me. I'm thinking people are just butt-hurt that it bears the Fable name and isn't Fable.

Didn't realize it was coming out so soon, I thought this was supposed to be a supplemental game for Fable: The Journey.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I love how nearly everyone here hates it.

Yet the trailer made me think about getting a 360 again. I really like the style.
Well this is awkward.

I legit bought a 360 to play this. It is coming in today. The idea of a beat'em with online and Mario Party with online...together...has me excited.

...what is wrong with me?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Well this is awkward.

I legit bought a 360 to play this. It is coming in today. The idea of a beat'em with online and Mario Party with online...together...has me excited.

...what is wrong with me?

Naaa, just because many others might not like it... doesn't mean you won't! Legitimately, I think this game will be very appealing to those who see it as you do, maybe one of the only games of it's type to exist.

I've never been a fan of 3D brawlers in general (unless they were made by Sega!), and I burnt out on Fable 2 so much I got tired of listening to all the samey accents, and seeing all the samey people... yet I still have some hype for this game. Unless the underlying controls and game system is bad, I can see this game having it's fans, and being a good game to play for gaming families, or anyone who just likes FUN in their games, and isn't too insanely critical.

Shanlei91

Naaa, just because many others might not like it... doesn't mean you won't! Legitimately, I think this game will be very appealing to those who see it as you do, maybe one of the only games of it's type to exist.

I've never been a fan of 3D brawlers in general (unless they were made by Sega!), and I burnt out on Fable 2 so much I got tired of listening to all the samey accents, and seeing all the samey people... yet I still have some hype for this game. Unless the underlying controls and game system is bad, I can see this game having it's fans, and being a good game to play for gaming families, or anyone who just likes FUN in their games, and isn't too insanely critical.
I know all about being burnt out on Fable 2. Pretty sure that was the game that made me sell my Xbox originally. But this does look like a title that is genuinely unique and being part of a large franchise will have the polish that most unique games lack. (especially in regards to online)

Nothing. But buy Trials and Fez asap!
Haha Fez did catch my eye as I was looking up "XBLA to buy". Is there a newer version of Trials out or can I just get the physical Trials/Limbo/Splosion Man combo disc?

Daeda

Since the NDA seems to have been lifted:

I've been playing it over the weekend. Cant really say its a good game. The movement is really awkward, more so because of the camera, and the challenge level is very low. The game is closer to an old beat-em-up than to a dungeon crawler, being focussed on walking through a straight path, but in that case you'd expect more than mashing the attack button and perhaps an evasion move every once in a while.

Half way through, it does not impress me yet, though Im hoping it will open up in the second half. Also, might be more fun when playing with friends instead of AI.

Style is charming though.

"If you hate your kids : Make them play Fable Heroes"

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-fable-heroes/17-5928/

KuGsj.gif

UraMallas

I bought this game because I like the art and I like the Fable games. I hope I don't completely hate myself by the end of tonight. Reviews have been - surprisingly - brutal.

aku:jiki

Looking for impressions. The demo didn't wow me in any way.
Really weak game with a combat system with a massive 3 - yes, three! - attacks and dull level design that is exclusively left-to-right... But it's still kinda fun. I think it's fun because it's just so damn easy. Stomping on enemies that can't do anything to hurt you is always fun to me, even if it's mindless and stupid.

I have to say, whoever is the lead designer is one of the worst in the business. The actual programming and the small things the rest of his team did are good to fantastic, but pretty much all of his overarching design choices are fucking terrible. Combat feels pretty good despite the simplicity, it's not very glitchy and the graphics are nice...but the board game idea is one of the worst I've ever seen in 25 years of gaming.

To clarify: you level up your character by rolling dice and moving around a board, which is fun the first five times. Not quite so much when you only have two things left to unlock to make your guy a badass and you need to replay levels 30 times in a row to land on the right board tile so you can buy the upgrade. You can only access the board game after beating a level. Oh, and if you want to complete the game and get all the gold medals, you have to play a board game before every single level, and you need to land on two specific tiles before each attempt. Meaning you get to "play" the board game (it's not an actual game because it has no rules, you just roll dice and move) 20 times before each level you attempt gold on. Like I said; one of the worst ideas in the history of gaming.

Shanlei91

I kinda like the game. It's certainly charming, is easy (although not as ridiculously easy as Fable 2 was), and is fun to play with three other people. Wish the game didn't look sub-HD, on par with the Xbox Dashboard when you press the center button.

The dice roll mini-game to purchase ability upgrades is a concept that would work wonderfully if abilities purchased didn't save to your character. (i.e. if this was like Mario Party and characters started off with 0 coin at the beginning of each game they play) But because of the long-term RPG nature of it, the system is more annoying than Mass Effect 3's booster pack purchase for weapon unlocks.

Top Bottom