• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Media Event - 1080p AppleTV, 4G/LTE 2048x1536 iPad, same price, Mar 16th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please stop with your Apple trolling, or at least don't troll using blatant lies. It's a retina display. Retina is determined by distance held from the screen not pure PPI.

Retina isn't even a real thing. Anything can be called Retina.

Again, I'm not trolling, and at the very least I'm consistent in my view of what a Retina Display is, or in the case of the iPad 3 isn't. It's not nice being called a liar when you say in the next breath that you don't believe Retina is 'even a real thing.' That's just poor class on your part.

You've positioned yourself such that you make even less sense than Apple's stance that a sub 300 PPI display is considered a Retina class device. Bravo on that!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
61808104v9_350x350_Back.jpg

smallP1030869.jpg

kehs

Banned
Again, I'm not trolling, and at the very least I'm consistent in my view of what a Retina Display is, or in the case of the iPad 3 isn't. It's not nice being called a liar when you say in the next breath that you don't believe Retina is 'even a real thing.' That's just poor class on your part.

You've positioned yourself such that you make even less sense than Apple's stance that a sub 300 PPI display is considered a Retina class device. Bravo on that!

How do you feel about pentile at 300+ppi.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef

Who gives a flying fuck? buy it or leave it or sue Apple ffs.

MercuryLS

Banned

Apple will call the iPad 3 display a retina display because iPad's are held further away from the face meaning that a lower DPI is acceptable for the whole "can't make out pixels thing". That's what the whole Retina Display marketing term is about, it's not about some arbitrary DPI value. It's about being high res enough to not be able to make out individual pixels, this means that you have to take into account the DPI AND the distance the device will be used at. With the iPad you will be using it at a farther distance from the face than the iPhone, therefore the DPI does NOT have to be as high in order for the pixels to be indistinguishable.

This is pretty fucking crystal clear to everyone in this thread but you.

Zeth

Apple will call the iPad 3 display a retina display because iPad's are held further away from the face meaning that a lower DPI is acceptable for the whole "can't make out pixels thing". That's what the whole Retina Display marketing term is about, it's not about some arbitrary DPI value. It's about being high res enough to not be able to make out individual pixels, this means that you have to take into account the DPI AND the distance the device will be used at. With the iPad you will be using it at a farther distance from the face than the iPhone, therefore the DPI does NOT have to be as high in order for the pixels to be indistinguishable.

This is pretty fucking crystal clear to everyone in this thread but you.

By that logic, the iPad 2 has a retina display if you hold far enough from your face.

pretty sure he said that a few pages back

I really don't know why apple hasn't gotten off their lazy asses and just made a resolution free display already. they have a bunch of money sitting around so why not use it already. isn't that what am i paying these insane price premiums for?

Are you going to continue to shit up this thread until the reveal, then continue to do so after that? Who exactly are you trying to convince? You've shown yourself to be utterly ignorant and clueless of the basic reasons as to why the 'Retina' resolution is what it is. What you're doing now is 100% trolling, because everyone has heard you and nobody cares.

Unreal that taking the pixel count of 4 current iPads and compressing them into 1 is deemed unsatisfactory for you. It will be significantly above and beyond anything else on the market, not sure what the hell else you could ask for.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I really don't know why apple hasn't gotten off their lazy asses and just made a resolution free display already. they have a bunch of money sitting around so why not use it already. isn't that what am i paying these insane price premiums for?

No, you pay it for the copious amount of pussy/cock/whatever tickles your fancy when owning an apple device.

MercuryLS

Banned
By that logic, the iPad 2 has a retina display if you hold far enough from your face.

pretty sure he said that a few pages back

Lets say the iPad 1/2 is used at 1-2 feet from your face, the pixels would still be distinguishable.

DJ88

I just can't fathom how people like Refrigerator exist. Like I truly can't wrap my mind around the idea of someone being so challenged at understanding simple facts, common sense, and logic. How do people like Refrigerator live in this world? If it was clearly a lame troll attempt, I could make sense of it, but he really means it. It's kind of sad.

Are you going to continue to shit up this thread until the reveal, then continue to do so after that? Who exactly are you trying to convince? You've shown yourself to be utterly ignorant and clueless of the basic reasons as to why the 'Retina' resolution is what it is. What you're doing now is 100% trolling, because everyone has heard you and nobody cares.
I'd rather not have these meta conversations and insults thrown my way because that is shitting up this thread, not my stance that the purported screen isn't a Retina class device. I'm not trying to convince anyone. I keep explaining myself, questions and accusations are levied, and I answer the least inflammatory ones the best I can. I readily admit I have high expectations, but they were expectations set forth by Jobs and the previous iPhones.

And going by the hostility from you and others, it's obvious that more than a few of you care. Aggressively so.

I'd rather not have these meta conversations and insults thrown my way because that is shitting up this thread, not my stance that the purported screen isn't a Retina class device. I'm not trying to convince anyone. I keep explaining myself, questions and accusations are levied, and I answer the least inflammatory ones the best I can. I readily admit I have high expectations, but they were expectations set forth by Jobs and the previous iPhones.

And going by the hostility from you and others, it's obvious that more than a few of you care. Aggressively so.

How many times do people have to mention that the expectations set by the previous iPhone and Jobs himself are being met by the retina display in the iPad 3? It's like you are actively ignoring everything everyone has said in here. Does the new screen have a lower pixel density than the iPhone 4? Yes. Can it still be considered a retina display given Apples standards for the term that they created? Yes.

Why am I responding to this?

Cheebo

Banned
Jeez guys let the guy share his opinion (however misguided it might be). No need to be so hostile.

That's the problem. It's the only opinion he shares. He brings it up in every single post he makes here. "Oh yes that feature will be nice. TOO BAD ITS NOT RETINA AS WELL!". He throws it into every post regardless of what the topic at hand he is replying to is in the thread. It's blatant trolling.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I just can't fathom how people like Refrigerator exist. Like I truly can't wrap my mind around the idea of someone being so challenged at understanding simple facts, common sense, and logic. How do people like Refrigerator live in this world? If it was clearly a lame troll attempt, I could make sense of it, but he really means it. It's kind of sad.

umW6h.jpg

That's the problem. It's the only opinion he shares. He brings it up in every single post he makes here. "Oh yes that feature will be nice. TOO BAD ITS NOT RETINA AS WELL!". He throws it into every post regardless of what the topic at hand he is replying to is in the thread. It's blatant trolling.
Well let him. If it's trolling it's only working cause you guys jump on it like it even matters.

Utako

Banned
Vapid animosity? I call them how I see them, especially when you have the hubris to suggest that an insanely successful company is 'doing it wrong' because it isn't making the device YOU want it to make, even when noone else shares your wants.

Your PC analogy is completely irrelevant. People were never falling over themselves with excitement to buy PCs. It was the 'default' choice so to speak. If you haven't noticed, the majority of non-techies (ie. most of the earths population) actually hate their PCs, and hate computers in generally. This has been my experience dealing with hundreds of average people. Also, your NEXT comparison is ridiculous. You're comparing people that came in that were pushing to change things and move things forward (SJ and NExt), as an analogy what you want to happen, which is move BACKWARDS and start implementing outdated paradigms that failed on mobile devices. Yeah, I can just see the revolution now. Apple will be blown out of the water by a company introducing a phone with such revolutionary features like filesystems, side-loading, a ton of physical buttons, etc. You're not pushing for anything new. You want the old, that's already failed.

Your RIM analogy is also useless. Whats the point of randomly comparing tech companies? Anyone who has followed Apple and RIM for awhile realizes how fundamentally different both companies are, and just because Apple is on top now it doesn't make a comparison to RIM appropriate. RIM sat on its ass for 10+ years basically releasing the same phone. They got cofortable in their position. They also got their success from the enterprise market, which they then leveraged to enter the consumer market. Apple is going the opposite way, starting from a much larger market and using that leverage to make massive inroads into the enterprise. Corporations are switching to iPhones from BB everyday. Apparently, they also don't care about the things you mentioned. RIM became passive. There's nothing in Apple's history that suggests that they would let something like this happen anytime soon, and they've consistently shown themselves to be pro-active rather than re-active and continually looking at the big picture. Yeah SJ is gone, but I think the DNA will remain there for a long time to come. Besides mindless analogies, I have no idea what point you're trying to make. The market has proven you wrong. Nothing more needs to be said.

Again, you're viewing the industry through the mirrored end of one-sided glass.

iOS did not have good notifications until recently. In fact, the way it managed communication with apps was abysmal, just as it currently is with per-app privacy and access settings.

Still, adoption was phenomenal, not because the user experience wasn't improved by these features, but because Apple's offering was still really strong despite lacking them. It continues to be very strong of course, but to say that users "don't care" is different from the reality, which is that they aren't compelled enough by competitors to use a different product. That is for a variety of reasons, including superficial factors like marketing, buzz, and brand loyalty, but also because Apple is doing a good job on most fronts.

RIM rested on its laurels for half a decade, and Apple has only been the market leader for a fraction of that time. I would say that there is no need to insist they are only making correct decisions, and only someone without a fully-developed opinion would do that. Don't be that guy.

Anyway, I don't want to spam the thread with OT discussion. I hope I've made my stance clear and reasonable!

But I haven't been the rude one in this entire conversation. Everyone else is fine to sit behind their keyboards and throw personal insults around at me for critiquing how Apple has handled this. I express my view, a lot seem to disagree and they turn it personal and become belligerent towards me.

Many people here seem to take their technology and gadgets a little too personally.

But I haven't been the rude one in this entire conversation. Everyone else is fine to sit behind their keyboards and throw personal insults around at me for critiquing how Apple has handled this. I express my view, a lot seem to disagree and they turn it personal and become belligerent towards me.

I find the way you seem to ignore almost every post to be rather rude.

Many people here seem to take their technology and gadgets a little too personally.

I find the way you seem to ignore almost every post to be rather rude.

I post when I can between work and home, and there will be hours when I'm gone in between. I also try not to respond to posts that are filled with invective. On most other points I've made my responses quite clear if you want to go back and search. I'm not about to spend my time dredging up every thing I've written thus far.

My banker gave me a call to say "don't even think about it buddy".

And I don't even have a banker.

That's how much I can't afford this iPad 3 that I plan on buying.

JackEtc

Summer, Apple won't upgrade any of their Mac line till after they get Ivy Bridge which Intel will have ready in June.

Damn, all I'm really looking forward to is a Macbook Pro refresh. I still need my laptop for college starting August. Hopefully they'll release right in June too so it won't be too late for me.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I stood in line at Best Buy for iPad 1&2. Always turned out to be easier at Apple Store (there were 4 Apple Stores in NYC though). First time their shipment didn't get there yet and they handed out 20 or so IOUs. The second time it sold out in 20 minutes.

If I'm gonna wait in line, it'll definitely be at the Grand Central location. I've noticed it's not as crowded as the other stores, and I'd rather wait on line indoors.

kehs

Banned
Apple should go back to vector graphics for unlimited pixels

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1409/1408259038_0cd407e008.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I've actually been championing for a move into vector based UIs. It'll help unload the asset weight, and with the excess power these chips have, elements can be created on the fly.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
AppleTV2 is going upstairs and the AppleTV3 will be the new hotness on the main system.

What...with it's Hexacore processor and 4GB of RAM and 4K resolution support and app store integration and 3D holographic GUI...

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I've actually been championing for a move into vector based UIs. It'll help unload the asset weight, and with the excess power these chips have, elements can be created on the fly.

Wait a minute...did you just post a serious comment in an Apple thread or is this stealth trolling that I can't pick up on?

That's actually a valid point, my friend! WHAT IS THIS?!?!

Appletv should just become a ultra low cost gateway to the app store. You put in bluetooth support and you have a hundred dollar computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom