• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Media Event - 1080p AppleTV, 4G/LTE 2048x1536 iPad, same price, Mar 16th

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
Wait a minute...did you just post a serious comment in an Apple thread or is this stealth trolling that I can't pick up on?

That's actually a valid point, my friend! WHAT IS THIS?!?!

........As long as the final output is 301 PPI to meet retina specs.

=P

Again, you're viewing the industry through the mirrored end of one-sided glass.

iOS did not have good notifications until recently. In fact, the way it managed communication with apps was abysmal, just as it currently is with per-app privacy and access settings.

Still, adoption was phenomenal, not because the user experience wasn't improved by these features, but because Apple's offering was still really strong despite lacking them. It continues to be very strong of course, but to say that users "don't care" is different from the reality, which is that they aren't compelled enough by competitors to use a different product. That is for a variety of reasons, including superficial factors like marketing, buzz, and brand loyalty, but also because Apple is doing a good job on most fronts.

RIM rested on its laurels for half a decade, and Apple has only been the market leader for a fraction of that time. I would say that there is no need to insist they are only making correct decisions, and only someone without a fully-developed opinion would do that. Don't be that guy.

Anyway, I don't want to spam the thread with OT discussion. I hope I've made my stance clear and reasonable!

Ok, your latest post is reasonable. We'll hug and make-up. When you remake a mobile OS from the ground up, yeah, not all bullet points and features will be there from day one. iOS was severely lacking in this department, and have made massive improvements since release. Apple's philosophy is focused on a few new features at a time, and implementing them in well accessible, thought out and useable ways, holistically throughout their different hardware, which will survive the test of time. Nothing is done in a vacuum. We see the same thing with windows phone, which was extremely barren when it came out, and is slowly adding basic features that are available on Android and iOS. They also rightly realizes that usability trumps all, and checkmarks can be filled over time. I'm certainly not suggesting Apple is the only one making correct decisions. However, it's clear their general philosophy has proven to be correct one, from a software, hardware, and ecosystem perspective, and the entire industry has fallen over themselves trying to emulate that success (Google, Microsoft, RIM, Palm, all OEMs) often by adjusting course and rebooting themselves. The point I'm making is that clearly the general public is not as concerned with bullet points like notifications, etc than people arguing over the internet would lead you to believe.

Ok should get some work done now.

Jasoco

Banned
Remember, Refrigerator. If you leave now, they all win.

Actually, some things are being moved over to vector images. The mouse cursor and link finger, for example, are now vectors in Lion.
Not the same thing. The Vectrex used light beams to draw lines. There were no pixels in the CRT tube.
The vector cursors in Lion are still being translated into pixel coordinates for drawing on our Mac screens.
It's a technology that can't really be replicated 100% properly now. The market moved to pixels and can't really go back. (For instance, while on the Vectrex you tell a light beam to move from point A to point B really fast to draw a line, on our pixel-based displays we need to draw that line one pixel at a time taking into account edge smoothing and thickness. In the end we're still drawing pixels.) The best we can do is make those pixels so small that we can't make out their edges even if we put our eyes directly on the screen. At that point we will have displays that are independent of resolution and we won't need to care about pixels ever again. Except when we're playing an old video game for retro shits and giggles. But then it would just be one pixel being magnified hundreds of times to be visible on the screen. But I digress..

Last year I bought my iPad 2. When it was unveiled, Steve gave an order date. That day I went to the local MacOutfitters and they gave me (And everyone else) a ticket with a number on it. They had tickets for every iPad they were receiving. (You could pick a color, but it wasn't guaranteed to be yours if your number was too high and they already got bought) On the day they arrived, we just went back to the store with our tickets, got in line by number and bought our iPad right then and there. Day 1 purchase. No waiting a few weeks after launch. It was nice. I hope they do the same thing this year. I predict unveiling on the 7th, order date on the 9th and buy in store (Or delivery) on the 16th.

Also, it'll be interesting to watch Tim Cook reveal it. I will be comparing his technique to last years SteveNote reveal of the iPad 2. How many CookNotes have there been so far? I remember the iPhone 4S. And I assume the education books reveal that I haven't watched yet.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Please apple. Release a game controller/remote for the new ATV3 and let there be a App store on it.

It would be killer.

Mostly sucker bets but the 128GB one is tempting. There's absolutely nothing stopping Apple from doing it. It's just a matter of whether they want to sell that SKU.

What's stopping them from selling a 128gb model is that no one is begging for it, it's not as if the 64gb models of the iPad and iPad 2 were the most popular SKUs sold

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
What's stopping them from selling a 128gb model is that no one is begging for it, it's not as if the 64gb models of the iPad and iPad 2 were the most popular SKUs sold

But if that new fancy camera is amazing at capturing 1080p footage. A large memory would be quite beneficial.

Jasoco

Banned
In a perfect world, the 32GB model would the absolute minimum. But I have a nagging fear that they'll keep that damned 16GB option. It's like the 64GB low-end MacBook Air. Why? That's barely enough for anything. 128 should have been the minimum. But I guess it all depends on Flash prices. Funny, with all the stock Apple has in Flash storage I am still surprised prices of SSD and Flash are still so high.

MercuryLS

Banned
Please apple. Release a game controller/remote for the new ATV3 and let there be a App store on it.

It would be killer.

A simple SNES/NES-type controller would be awesome...if Apple doesn't do it, I at least hope that Apple opens up the ATV3 so that there's an app store and they allow 3rd party bluetooth controllers to interface with the apps.

Cheebo

Banned
If you guys want more space get a GoFlex iPad external hard drive. To my knowledge it's the only external hard drive made for the iPad, it has 500 GB.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I think "what's stopping" Apple from selling a 128GB iPad 3 is the pricing model. The current 64GB iPad 2 costs $700, and that is just the Wifi one. A 128GB iPad Wifi would essentially cost $800, that's really getting up there in price for a tablet and, while there may be a niche group who would spend that to get one, overall I don't think sales would be great on an $800 tablet.

Not to mention that would mean 4 iPad 3 SKUs.

What would be nice is if they added a 128GB one and dropped off the 16GB, yet dropped each model down a price bracket. E.g. the iPad 3 32GB is now at the $500 level instead of $600 and so on.

If you guys want more space get a GoFlex iPad external hard drive. To my knowledge it's the only external hard drive made for the iPad, it has 500 GB.

I'd rather just have more space built in.

I stream all my video content to the iPad. Honestly 16GB is more than enough for me.

I stream a large amount of my media to my iPad as well but I don't want to deal with streaming HD movies, especially not on the go.

cyberheater

A simple SNES/NES-type controller would be awesome...if Apple doesn't do it, I at least hope that Apple opens up the ATV3 so that there's an app store and they allow 3rd party bluetooth controllers to interface with the apps.

It would be awesome. I'd buy one straight away.

Remember though that Apple doesn't want you to store everything on your device. They want to encourage you to save everything to iCloud and in doing so prompt you to invest in more storage space. Making a 120 gig iPad would be counter to that objective.

64 gb is plenty anyway. I have tons of stuff on mine from movies to huge volumes of comics and I'm nowhere close to filling it up.

mrkgoo

Out of curiosity, what does a 16-bit or 8-bit game with obvious pixels look like at 1:1 on a retina device where pixels are indiscernible?

MercuryLS

Banned
I think "what's stopping" Apple from selling a 128GB iPad 3 is the pricing model. The current 64GB iPad 2 costs $700, and that is just the Wifi one. A 128GB iPad Wifi would essentially cost $800, that's really getting up there in price for a tablet and, while there may be a niche group who would spend that to get one, overall I don't think sales would be great on an $800 tablet.

Not to mention that would mean 4 iPad 3 SKUs.

What would be nice is if they added a 128GB one and dropped off the 16GB, yet dropped each model down a price bracket. E.g. the iPad 3 32GB is now at the $500 level instead of $600 and so on.

My best bet is that the 16gb remains, the 64gb takes over for the 32gb and the 128gb takes over for the 64gb. 32gb disappears.

MercuryLS

Banned
It would be awesome. I'd buy one straight away.

The only way this happens is if Apple back peddles from their "ATV is streaming only" and build in some decent flash storage into the thing. There needs to be some local storage to really support an App store on the device.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I still don't understand how Apple gets away with charging $100 for 16-32GB of flash memory. I got a16gb ipad2 because I couldn't justify paying $100 for 16GB of space. It hasn't been an issue for me at all.

Zeth

32 with cell radio has been the sweet spot for me, though I often have to curate my game selection and constantly use iCloud. There's a small chance I might drop the cell connectivity in favor of the 64gb, tough decision.

cyberheater

No. The 32 GB will stay...as the lowest tier. 32, 64, 128 will be the new tiers.

They're going to have a 1Tb version but only available to Gaf gold members.

Tobor

I think storage bumps are predicated by sales. I wouldn't be surprised if they have an exact chart that determines what percentage of sales the high and low end units need to be at before a bump is warranted.

cyberheater

iPod touch is 8gb, 32gb, 64gb. They could have dropped the 8gb but didn't.

8Gb is a good entry level for a lot of folks. My niece just got a 8Gb iPod Touch and it's 8Gb but still has the lovely retina display etc... It's a wonderful bit of kit for the money.

cyberheater

I think storage bumps are predicated by sales. I wouldn't be surprised if they have an exact chart that determines what percentage of sales the high and low end units need to be at before a bump is warranted.

Same with App pricing.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
8Gb is a good entry level for a lot of folks. My niece just got a 8Gb iPod Touch and it's 8Gb but still has the lovely retina display etc... It's a wonderful bit of kit for the money.
Original 4th gen Touch was a great, great deal (even when comparing to devices outside of apple). Bought one day 1 and it was probably the best purchase in a long while

Ephemeris

Original 4th gen Touch was a great, great deal (even when comparing to devices outside of apple). Bought one day 1 and it was probably the best purchase in a long while

Still a great buy. I've preached android phone + ipod touch combo from day one

Not sure why I feel kind of guilty..

When I met the lady buying my ATV2, she kept going on and on about how all the stores were sold out and how popular it must be, and thanking me profusely. Part of me wanting to tell her the truth, that they were sold out because Apple has stopped supplies because they are likely to be replaced very soon. The other part knew that she might go back on the sale if I said that, so I just kept my mouth shut.

mrkgoo

When I met the lady buying my ATV2, she kept going on and on about how all the stores were sold out and how popular it must be, and thanking me profusely. Part of me wanting to tell her the truth, that they were sold out because Apple has stopped supplies because they are likely to be replaced very soon. The other part knew that she might go back on the sale if I said that, so I just kept my mouth shut.

While you know that's it not selling out due to popularity, you don't really know what is coming, to be honest. Apple could release something 'worse' in a way that you want the earlier model anyway. Noone knows for sure.

Cheebo

Banned

After selling two iPads shortly before the next launch my feeling is if the person buying it wanted to they could find out whatever they were buying was about to be upgraded within a minute with a quick google search. Their own fault for not being informed when making a purchase.

Zeth

Unfortunately making successful Craigslist transactions (especially with Apple devices) often relies on exploiting buyers' ignorance on upcoming product releases. Might not feel great, but ultimately it's their responsibility to inform themselves before making a purchase.

Raistlin

I am real, and while I do care, many of you seem to mistake the careful articulation of my position as either trolling or crazy. I never stated that everyone should be outraged that the iPad 3 won't have a Retina Display. I only expressed my own frustration and disappointment over it. There's no need for hyperbole or hysterics when it comes to electronics or the companies making them.

It is sad, though, that this is what Apple has come to. It's like they are slowly slipping back to the Gil Amelio days. Multiple iPad SKUs with different chips? Adding complexity to the product line?

I'm glad I sold my stock when I did.

Again, I'm not trolling, and at the very least I'm consistent in my view of what a Retina Display is, or in the case of the iPad 3 isn't. It's not nice being called a liar when you say in the next breath that you don't believe Retina is 'even a real thing.' That's just poor class on your part.

You've positioned yourself such that you make even less sense than Apple's stance that a sub 300 PPI display is considered a Retina class device. Bravo on that!

Except that the 'careful articulation of your position' was and continues to be FACTUALLY WRONG regarding what 'retina display' actually means.

And since it's been explained to you NUMEROUS TIMES ... yet you continue to double-down on said fallacious position ... your activities are the very definition of trolling.

Except that the 'careful articulation of your position' has and continues to be FACTUALLY WRONG regarding what 'retina display' actually means.

And since it's been explained to you NUMEROUS TIMES ... yet you continue to double-down on said fallacious position ... your activities are the very definition of trolling.

Oh and I wouldn't bother with responses to him anymore, he won't read your post but he'll continue to spout the same lines over and over again.

Raistlin

Oh and I wouldn't bother with responses to him anymore, he won't read your post but he'll continue to spout the same lines over and over again.
It's really getting sad. If it wasn't so one-note ... and was actually somewhat clever like Copernicus ... it wouldn't be so painful to read.

I honestly don't understand why he hasn't been banned, especially as a junior engaging in such activities. Part of me actually wants to run through the math for him in long form ... but the other part of me realizes he'll just ignore it and continue trolling like you said.

:\

Cheebo

Banned
Except that the 'careful articulation of your position' was and continues to be FACTUALLY WRONG regarding what 'retina display' actually means.

The first quote of his shows how he is intentionally trolling. instead of saying something "some people think its retina" or whatever he says "it doesn't bother people that iPad 3 isn't retina". As if his opinion is fact and indisputable. Not even acknowlding the fact that is considered retina by some (actually the entire apple fan community other than himself). Outright ignoring what others say to get their goat.

Cheebo

Banned
Not even by some ... by everyone that actually understands Apple's actual definition of retina display.
He keeps saying basically "well I guess it just doesn't bother you that it isn't retina" instead of the fact we and well everyone else think it is retina and ignoring any instance where he is shown he is wrong on a factual basis. It's blatant obvious baiting.

Tobor

Don't forget, he compared Tim Cook to Gil Amelio. That's high level Apple trolling. Lol.

We haven't seen a villain this dangerous in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom