• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kentucky mayor: 2 Confederate statues to come down after Charlottesville

AoM

Yes they should be destroyed. You are wanting to preserve monuments of tratiors to our country. In a lot of cases those shitbags even fled the country. There is no reason they should have ever been honored with a statue.

Their purpose is to show what ex-Confederates (and others after) did to propagate the Lost Cause. One my professors gives Lost Cause tours in Cville (though those may end now).

This statue of Nathan Bedford Forrest (KKK founder) is visible from the main interstate that runs through Nashville

Not only is it horrible that we have a monument to this fucker, the thing is hideous

vMpVsW4.png

Wait what Nathan Bedford Forrest got a fucking statue?

The most virulently racist and bigoted man the war produced?

The man who's entire regiment he funded with his own wealth to "snuff out the rights of the negroes, as they are our only laboring class"?

What the FUCK. How did I not know this...

Slayven

Dude, what are you talking about? You said I was basically supporting racism because I feel that the shit belongs in a museum instead of being blown up.

Your argument hinged on Germany being worse off because they deny their history, which is totally wrong.

They still putting Nazis on trail

Sunster

The man who's entire regiment he funded with his own wealth to "snuff out the rights of the negroes, as they are our only laboring class"?

I went to Robert E. Lee High School and our football rival was Nathan Bedford Forrest High.... That's the south for you.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
I went to Robert E. Lee High School and our football rival was Nathan Bedford Forrest High.... That's the south for you.

How did they teach the Civil War there?

Were the slaves happy and the war itself about Northern Aggression?

The monument is on private land and the guy who owns it doesn't want to take it down, even though he claims he's "not a racist"

The city tried to put up something to block its view from the road at least, but the state wouldn't let them

the South sucks

Was just looking up the the one in Baytown, did they rename it? The district website redirects to a different name.

Most of them were renamed in the last decade, I know the one in San An was. Folks on my facebook were making a big to do about it when it happened.

Edit: I guess fucking not given a tertiary google search shows I'm wrong. Shit must have been one of the others.

Slayven

Okay, so me being wrong, means I basically support racism how exactly?

This symbols were used as the rallying point that lead to the deaths today. There is no value in their preservation. Especially when america is racist as fuck. We have history books, we don't need physical reminders, especially since there is no shortage of them and most of them was erected against the civil rights movement as a "take that niggers".

Most of them were renamed in the last decade, I know the one in San An was. Folks on my facebook were making a big to do about it when it happened.

Still have Lee College that is for sure, shits even on Lee Drive.

This symbols were used as the rallying point that lead to the deaths today. There is no value in their preservation. Especially when america is racist as fuck. We have history books, we don't need physical reminders, especially since there is no shortage of them and most of them was erected against the civil rights movement as a "take that niggers"

Cool, and see we can disagree there without you saying I'm implicitly supporting racism because I disagree. I mean hell, how am I supposed to engage after that? Yah, it made me want to bounce because it didn't feel like we were going to get anywhere if that was your immediate takeaway.

I immediately don't like the idea of simply blowing up heinous shit in our past. It isn't going to make it go away, why not try to attempt to reclaim it and use it as an educational tool?

LycanXIII

This statue of Nathan Bedford Forrest is visible from the main interstate that runs through Nashville

Not only is it horrible that we have a monument to this fucker, the thing is hideous

vMpVsW4.png

http://www.tennessean.com/story/new...villes-request-block-forrest-statue/30412745/
The state of Tennessee has denied the request of Nashville’s Metro Council to plant trees and vegetation to block the view of a controversial Nathan Bedford Forrest statue on Interstate 65.

The Metro Council approved a resolution earlier this month that asks the Tennessee Department of Transportation “take the necessary action” to plant vegetation to block the view of the private owned statue that stands along the interstate.

But TDOT commissioner John Schroer informed the council on Monday morning that it does not plant vegetation on its property for the sole purpose of blocking items on nearby private land.

---

At issue is a 25-foot fiberglass Forrest statue, designed by the late sculptor and attorney Jack Kershaw, erected on private land in 1998 near Crieve Hall. Kershaw was among a series of attorneys hired by James Earl Ray after being convicted of the assassination of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. in 1968

---

The statue has been a source of controversy in Nashville and occasional vandalism ever since it was erected in 1998. The statue, surrounded by Confederate battle flags, sits on a 3.5-acre property owned by Bill Dorris, a Nashville businessman. The state had cleared vegetation in 1998 in order to make the Forrest statue visible from the interstate. Former state Sen. Douglas Henry, D-Nashville, led those efforts.

---

Dorris said he had some 100-foot flag poles ready to go if the state had gone forward with blocking the sight of the statue. Asked for his response to the state's decision, he said that he does wish there was a "calming-wall" to limit noise coming from the highway. He said planting vegetation to block his statue, however, would have set a bad precedent.

It was built less than 20 years ago on private property, the state cut down trees so it could be seen, and now won't replant them...

Sunster

Man I grew up in the south and ain't see no Nathan Bedford Forrest shit.

I figured they'd at least keep that shit to Mississippi.

North Florida is very very deep south racist.

How did they teach the Civil War there?

Were the slaves happy and the war itself about Northern Aggression?

My school was roughly 70% black and many of the teachers were black so there was no fuckery in that dept I think. This is all in Jacksonville, FL btw

Canadian here just a question, WHY THE FUCK ARE THESE STILL UP IN THE FIRST PLACE!!???

Over the last hundred or so years, our country has made a number of decisions that have led to the Lost Cause narrative of the Old South to take root. For example, the FBI was created and staffed almost exclusively with Southern law enforcement as a compromise to allow the Bureau to be set up as independently as it was. This led to the chief body who should've investigated federal hate crimes during Jim Crow being staffed by people who supported such laws.

There's a whole lot of this stuff. Partially because of racist sabotage (Grant's reputation as president is tarred to hell and back for largely nothing, as we're now learning), and partially because people capitulated to Southern demands in a misguided effort to keep the peace.

To answer your question directly, the statues and such are one of those capitulations. The South wanted the Confederates buried and remembered as veterans, not traitors, and so we gave them that. This was a big mistake. The correct measure would've been something akin to the Nuremberg Trials where we should've hanged the top military brass of the CSA on the National Mall and branded their efforts as entirely un-American.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I've yet to hear a good argument for why people proudly displaying Confederate flags shouldn't be hanged for treason.

Man I grew up in the south and ain't see no Nathan Bedford Forrest shit.

I figured they'd at least keep that shit to Mississippi.

You ain't been to Memphis. And yeah, there's a ton of it here in MS as well. I teach at Ole Miss and we've got several of them; one of them refers to the Civil War as a "Just and Holy Cause" on it. There's a plaque there now (just added like months ago) that "contextualizes" it, but I think that's a load of shit. Someone should back a truck up to it with a wench and pull them all down.

LycanXIII

More info:
The Urban County Council will be asked to vote to support a petition to the Kentucky Military Heritage Commission to move the statues to Veterans Park. The commission must approve the removal of the statues. The city has been warned the commission would not green light moving the statues unless it found a new home for Hunt Morgan and Breckinridge.

Veterans Park off of Tates Creek Road is owned by the city.

Vice Mayor Steve Kay said late Saturday he has not spoken to all council members but said he expected the 15-member council to support the petition.

”I think this is a good solution and the right thing to do," Kay said. ”I think moving the statues to Veterans Park will allow the city to still honor history. But we will also be able to add additional signage to give the statues the appropriate context and explain how they came to be and what was going on in Lexington at that time."

http://www.kentucky.com/news/local/counties/fayette-county/article166934037.html

The plan is to move it to a public park, but include additional information with them.

I've yet to hear a good argument for why people proudly displaying Confederate flags shouldn't be hanged for treason.

Cause you don't hang people for displaying a flag? Hang the people who fought the rebellion, you bet. Hang the racist asshat flying the damn thing down I-45, nah, I honestly wish they would just tattoo the shit on their forehead so I can easily write them off.

I'm glad they're not getting destroyed. History should never be destroyed, regardless of how fucked up it is. I hope they're relocated to a museum so everyone can see how we can all change from what once was
Still is,
sadly.

stankface.jpg

Yep, 100% shit response then.

”I think this is a good solution and the right thing to do," Kay said. ”I think moving the statues to Veterans Park will allow the city to still honor history. But we will also be able to add additional signage to give the statues the appropriate context and explain how they came to be and what was going on in Lexington at that time."

No, that isn't a good solution. It keeps them in open public view, where they do not belong at all. Put the crap in a museum somewhere, slap a charge on it and donate all proceeds to a charity.

Riptwo

Melt them down, recast them as urinal troughs, and add a plaque inscribed with "The Endless March of the Pissclowns."
Edit: I have no idea what material these are made out of, which may be one of a few potential issues with this plan.

Sianos

smash the statue so it is unrecognizable, then leave the rubble up as a monument to the failure of the traitorous confederate states with plaques detailing their crimes

there, history hasn't been erased

AoM

No, that isn't a good solution. It keeps them in open public view, where they do not belong at all. Put the crap in a museum somewhere, slap a charge on it and donate all proceeds to a charity.

I posted a discussion with a Civil War historian in another thread, but his point was that keeping them in open view and adding additional signage allows more people to learn about the Lost Cause (vs. the number of people who go to museums). Moving it from the lawn of a former courthouse is definitely a step, though I do agree that putting them in a museum is inevitable.

cdyhybrid

Your final post finally uses ASAP, which is what was missing before. All your previous posts implied they weren't doing shit, but adding the time modifier finally makes sense. Thank you for finally adding that. If that was there before there would not be any confusion to this before.

I was fairly certain it was implied.

Plus, if they actually felt it needed to come down ASAP, it would've been down already. If you can push up the date, you (by definition) did not put the highest priority on its removal originally.

Top Bottom