• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter interview: Nintendo here to stay, PS4 won't be $599; PS4 cheaper than Nextbox

The next Xbox will NOT be more expensive than the PS4. Could it be the same price? Possibly. But it won't be more expensive. I have two predictions that I've been floating around for two months:

1) The Kinect pack in won't raise the price of the next Xbox, but it did cause Microsoft to gimp the hardware.

AND

2) Microsoft will raise the price of Live yet again.

Kinect is an albatross for them either way because a console is built upon the backs of diehards and loyalists.

BadAss2961

The next Xbox will NOT be more expensive than the PS4. Could it be the same price? Possibly. But it won't be more expensive. I have two predictions that I've been floating around for two months:

1) The Kinect pack in won't raise the price of the next Xbox, but it did cause Microsoft to gimp the hardware.

AND

2) Microsoft will raise the price of Live yet again.

Kinect is an albatross for them either way because a console is built upon the backs of diehards and loyalists.
What is it at now? I mean, damn... How much higher could it possibly go?

Amir0x

Banned
Does the initial price bother you that much? Also just going by RAM price trends, this shouldn't be the hold-up of the pricing of the system long term.

Does it bother me? In a way, sure. The longer a system takes to get adopted, the longer it takes to become successful (if at all), and the less meaningful support the system gets.

I think it is important we have multiple extremely strong competitors in the industry, since competition is generally better for consumers.

Alpende

You wait and see. You can quote me on it. They'll raise the price and justify it by saying, "Look at all of the apps we have. Such a premium selection justifies a premium admission fee!"

Look at all these apps that aren't available anywhere else but America.

iceatcs

You wait and see. You can quote me on it. They'll raise the price and justify it by saying, "Look at all of the apps we have. Such a premium selection justifies a premium admission fee!"
I could somehow agreed with you because I have heard all of 360 apps was mostly made by MS not Netflix etc. PS3 apps are basically HTML5 app, so it cost more and take time to make app on 360's OS.

This is wrong. Nintendo holds in US dollars, not in Yen - the reduction in 304 is mostly exchange related losses + some small operating losses

The 2012 annual report is based on a highly appreciated Yen value

Under 78 yen/dollar --- 946 billion yen = ~12.3 billion USD

But their total cash is higher than the 946 billion yen you list according to the 2012 annual report

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2012/annual1203e.pdf - see page 22

Page 26 of this link lists 958 billion yen in cash and short-term securities. However, this is from a period 9 months earlier than their most recent earnings release, which shows a modest drop from the year end report.

As of March 31, 2011, there were 82 yen to a dollar. As of Nintendo's most recent financial report, there were 86 yen to a dollar. This is not exchange rate losses. They were heavily investing in next gen in two markets. Of course, using that logic, there is an argument that the bleeding is largely done.

Top Bottom