• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

15 Years Ago today, WWE brought out WCW

Status
Not open for further replies.

mreddie

I know the deal was earlier but...

CAyo_qvUUAA6ZS4.jpg
Last Nitro Intro
RAW Intro with Vince axing Jeff Jarrett

Did you watch the simlucast? Reaction to the buyout?

How has the business changed since then?

I know the RAW side is on the WWE Network, dunno about the Last Nitro other than the matches uploaded to YT.

OSW Reviews gives a good recap to both shows that night.
Final Nitro
Simlucast RAW

RBH

One of the worst things to ever happen to the wrestling industry.

Even with all of the bad stuff that happened during its final two years, WCW is still sorely missed to this day.

Craziest thing I remember in wrestling (not counting deaths). Also was the beginning of the end for me, I didn't make it to the next WrestleMania, and didn't start watching again until 2012.

I remember being in a computer lab in my school and overhearing people hyped about the big name matchups like Sting that were coming. I felt bad for them that they didn't understand they only were buying a name and the cheapest guys they could resign.

That was a crazy Raw. Too bad they didn't capitalize. I wasn't a fan of the whole invasion thing.

Also wasn't WCW in the shitter and super cheap at the time? Can't imagine why people would still be sore over Vince buying it.
Plus, TNA is for all intents and purposes what WCW would be if it were still around - a total piece of shit.

Cipherr

I remember kids that were wrestling fans talking about it. But they werent dreading it. Everyone was just talking about crossovers and how "Insert WWF wrestler" was gonna finally fight "Insert WCW wrestler".

From what I later heard, very little of that actually happened.

mreddie

I remember kids that were wrestling fans talking about it. But they werent dreading it. Everyone was just talking about crossovers and how "Insert WWF wrestler" was gonna finally fight "Insert WCW wrestler".

There was...
220px-Wwfwcwecwinvasion.jpg

TaterTots

Banned
This is when wrestling went downhill for me. The competitive spirit was lost. It was a missed opportunity. I even preferred WCW at one point.

I recently watched RAW's around where the whole "Invasion/Alliance" storyline kick into high gear. Shane is fighting the Undertaker for some reason...

...Wrestlemania 32 is truly a slow build of 15 years.

Doomed to fail. The biggest WCW star WWF brought over was Booker T. (No offense to Book of course.)

No Goldberg, No Sting, No Big Poppa Pump, No Hall and Nash, No Savage, no La Parka, Ultimo Dragon, nobody interesting. Buff Bagwell? Fuck outta here.

Jonbo298

I remember watching the simulcast. It felt unreal at the time that it was happening. Looking back, it was inevitable. WCW forced then WWF to innovate more and I feel the Attitude era was a result of WCW's competitiveness. Unfortunately, If I remember correctly, ratings were falling and it was going to either be bought out or go bankrupt.

mreddie

Doomed to fail. The biggest WCW star WWF brought over was Booker T. (No offense to Book of course.)

No Goldberg, No Sting, No Big Poppa Pump, No Hall and Nash, No Savage, no La Parka, Ultimo Dragon, nobody interesting. Buff Bagwell? Fuck outta here.

Majority of them stuck though their contracts.
Savage was already fired.
2002-2003 was when you really felt WCW/WWF was being a thing.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
It should be "15 years ago WCW finally died". The WWF just got dibs on the corpse.

That said, I'd go as far as saying that the Invasion angle is probably the biggest failure in the history of modern entertainment. If it were a movie it would have been a $200m blockbuster that made $25m at the box office. For many reasons, but mainly due to one man's hubris. It should have been so much more.

Striker

Making DDP a stalker was ultra stupid. He is a guy who was mega over in WCW and they chopped his balls off and had him get beat up by a non-wrestler woman.

mreddie

That's the shitty part. All of those guys ended up back in WWF, just not during the Invasion Angle. They should have saved it.

WWE/F was gonna try to have WCW as a separate brand but UPN/TNN weren't up for it because WCW was a poisoned well. They tried out a few house shows but it stunk. Also not helping matters was that Vince was already burning millions with the XFL instead of buying out contracts.

WWE/F was gonna try to have WCW as a separate brand but UPN/TNN weren't up for it because WCW was a poisoned well. They tried out a few house shows but it stunk. Also not helping matters was that Vince was already burning millions with the XFL instead of buying out contracts.

Of course it stunk - they had almost no one decent, and who they DID have was doomed to be buried by the WWF fanbase who by then had been conditioned to hate WCW. Not to mention the WCW style was completely different from WWF (WWF had a bigger ring, stiffer canvas and ropes and were doing far less rest spots in their matches than WCW at the time) which screwed up everyone's timing.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Imagine if WCW had buried Hall and Nash when they came in, just to stick it to Vince instead of running with them and making millions of dollars.

The Invasion in a nutshell.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
How surreal must it have been for Shane to be in the middle of Nitro, though?

We need a "I expected everything and I got nothing".gif

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
WCW kept WWF hungry. This buyout cemented the companies trajectory into the ground. Now at 2016 look where we are.

Ashhong

lmao, the Buff Bagwell diss made this post. I remember playing that guy in the N64 games though.

RBH

That was a crazy Raw. Too bad they didn't capitalize. I wasn't a fan of the whole invasion thing.

Also wasn't WCW in the shitter and super cheap at the time? Can't imagine why people would still be sore over Vince buying it.
Plus, TNA is for all intents and purposes what WCW would be if it were still around - a total piece of shit.
Because it represented the last real competition that the WWE has and will encounter for the foreseeable future. That competition kept Vince on his toes and made the weekly Raw show better, even during the dying days of WCW because WCW still had the backing of Turner behind them, which was still a real benefit at the time. But now? It'll be a miracle before a company like Turner gets behind a wrestling company, and that's to the detriment of wrestling fans.

And WCW in its last few months from November-January was actually pretty solid.

NYR

Worst thing to happen the industry ever. Killed any competition and made a lazy, arrogant monopoly that is nothing more than a corporate machine regurgating past-their-prime wrestlers and no new talent that is equivalent to the true stars of the 80s and 90s.

Tansut

They probably had to film Vinny Mac from the waist up in the Nitro intro to keep hidden his throbbing erection.

Yeah, I remember the talent differential being crazy lopsided. They literally had to give the WCW team Stone Cold.

WWE has gone downhill ever since, but if WCW had been able to buy WWE in, say, 1997, I'm not sure either company would still be around.

I think the WCW management would have screwed it up worse than Vince did.

Ridley327

Whatever happened to Goldberg?

He more or less retired after leaving the WWE, though I did read that he did make a couple of in-ring appearances recently for LoW. His split the rest of his time between acting, TV show hosting and commentating for various MMA promotions.

DJKhaled

God I am sick of this shit, I bet you haven't even watched the show. It is 100x better than WWE has been for months. Even wrestling journalists like Meltzer that have traditionally shit on TNA have said it's the best weekly wrestling show on TV. Stop circlejerking.

adj_noun

I was so happy. I hated WCW back then. If they had a grave to dance on, I would have.

Now I miss the competition. #monkeyspaw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom