• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

15 Years Ago today, WWE brought out WCW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soltype

Easily one of the biggest wasted opportunities in any medium.They had years of legitimate material and heat, and it was all used poorly.

One of, if not the biggest blown opportunities the wrestling world has had and it lead to over a decade of decline for the industry we have only recently have seen a minor bounce back from

Remember when the made DDP a creepy stalker character for some reason?

adj_noun

One of, if not the biggest blown opposites the wrestling world has had and it lead to over a decade of decline for the industry.

Remember when the made DDP a creepy stalker character for some reason?

My main memory is the APA chasing WCW guys in circles around the ring.

One of the worst things to ever happen to the wrestling industry.

Even with all of the bad stuff that happened during its final two years, WCW is still sorely missed to this day.

I agree. Wrestling was a lot better when WCW and WWF (at the time) were competing neck and neck and were at the top of their game.

Doomed to fail. The biggest WCW star WWF brought over was Booker T. (No offense to Book of course.)

No Goldberg, No Sting, No Big Poppa Pump, No Hall and Nash, No Savage, no La Parka, Ultimo Dragon, nobody interesting. Buff Bagwell? Fuck outta here.

Why would they sign someone who was retired at the time.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I kept watching for a while but knew what would result of this.

I do remember switching between both channels when it happened

I used to watch the first hour of Raw, then switch it over to Nitro... This was the end for me when dealing with wrestling. After this there was no real competition...

ElRenoRaven

Thanks for bumming me out OP. That was a sad sad night. I really wonder what would have happened had AOL never bought Time Warner. Would WCW still be around? Would they be dead anyway?

Man Those years WCW & ECW died really hurt a lot. . RIP ECW & WCW. Still miss both of you to this day.

flux1

That was one of the worst days for myself as a wrestling fan. I thought for sure I was never going to see most of my WCW favorites again, topped off with it being main evented by the same two guys that made me a fan to begin with at Clash of the Champions 1 (Flair vs Sting.)

If it wasn't for other feds like New Japan, TNA, ROH and Lucha Underground, I'd have given up long ago on the business as a whole.

mreddie

Thanks for bumming me out OP. That was a sad sad night. I really wonder what would have happened had AOL never bought Time Warner. Would WCW still be around? Would they be dead anyway?

Man Those years WCW & ECW died really hurt a lot. . RIP ECW & WCW. Still miss both of you to this day.

Depends, Bischoff had people trying to save it, had not been for the merger, they might have pulled it off, TNA/WCW could have been the same entity.

ElTopo

Banned
A lot of posts pointing out that competition between the brands was good. I was about to say the same. Anyone remember that movie Ready To Rumble with David Arquette? Being a WWF kid and watching that flick confused the shit out of me. I only recognized Randy Savage.

ElRenoRaven

A lot of posts pointing out that competition between the brands was good. I was about to say the same. Anyone remember that movie Ready To Rumble with David Arquette? Being a WWF kid and watching that flick confused the shit out of me. I only recognized Randy Savage.

I know I'll get a ton of flack but I actually really liked it. It was corny like those old Hulk Hogan movies but it was a fun goofy little movie. Not to mention it had the Nitro Girls. Fyre was so damn hot.

Bubba T

There was...
220px-Wwfwcwecwinvasion.jpg

Even with the lack of star power on the Alliance side, I feel the angle truly took a turn towards the shitter once they revealed Stephanie McMahon to be the "owner" of ECW, turning it to a Mcmahon family circlejerk.

I remember watching RAW that night and ECW was causing havoc between WWF and WCW alike. Paul Heyman and the ECW guys were in the ring and had a commanding, outlaw like presence. Then.....they reveal Steph and the angle lost a ton of appeal (to me, and I'm sure to others too). After that, it all became another McMahon ego-stroking.

mreddie

Even with the lack of star power on the Alliance side, I feel the angle truly took a turn towards the shitter once they revealed Stephanie McMahon to be the "owner" of ECW, turning it to a Mcmahon family circlejerk.

I remember watching RAW that night and ECW was causing havoc between WWF and WCW alike. Paul Heyman and the ECW guys were in the ring and had a commanding, outlaw like presence. Then.....they reveal Steph and the angle lost a ton of appeal (to me, and I'm sure to others too). After that, it all became another McMahon ego-stroking.

Rumor was Steph just added herself to the angle since she was head of creative. She literally took Heyman's spot.

ElTopo

Banned
I know I'll get a ton of flack but I actually really liked it. It was corny like those old Hulk Hogan movies but it was a fun goofy little movie. Not to mention it had the Nitro Girls. Fyre was so damn hot.

I like that one bit where the fans find their wrestling idol's wife and bring up his autobiography. That was about it. I guess it's better than Mr Nanny.

Bubba T

Rumor was Steph just added herself to the angle since she was head of creative. She literally took Heyman's spot.

It wouldn't surprise me. Stephanie McMahon is the blandest character of them all (including Linda McMahon). She has no quality besides being a McMahon family member. Such a one sided character.

It wouldn't surprise me. Stephanie McMahon is the blandest character of them all (including Linda McMahon). She has no quality besides being a McMahon family member. Such a one sided character.

She is the classic shitty owner / booker that writes herself into stuff because she thinks its fun. She is the Dixie Carter / WCW era Vince Russo of the McMahon's.

Say what you want about Vince but at least when he puts himself into the middle of something he has a goal in mind and isnt afraid of putting himself in a compromised position on the show if it gets someone over.

God I am sick of this shit, I bet you haven't even watched the show. It is 100x better than WWE has been for months. Even wrestling journalists like Meltzer that have traditionally shit on TNA have said it's the best weekly wrestling show on TV. Stop circlejerking.

Did...did I get transported back to 2009-ish?

Like others said, it was the beginning of the end.
The big headliners in WCW didn't sign on until much later.
There was also too much wrestling on TV to keep track of.
At this time, I was a full time WWE fan and thought this was going to hurt them in the long run.
I don't think I lasted a year after this.
To this date, I only watch some 5-10 minutes of their PPVs.
I currently find myself addicted to Lucha Underground tho.

DJKhaled

Did...did I get transported back to 2009-ish?

What? TNA was legit shit back then, there is no doubting it, but the only people that hate TNA these days are people that haven't watched the last 6 months. It is legitimately good. Some episodes are great even. Can't say that about Raw or NXT.

On the night it was incredible, but it turned out to be the worst thing that happened to the business.

We should all fervently hope that wwf's attempted purchase of ROH fails.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Crazy to think two of the biggest feds going out of business and the biggest PPV of all-time all happened in the same week.

I don't fault or blame Vince or WWE for buying WCW... It was a brilliant purchase at the time, shutting out your #1 rival when they completely ruined their product. But I really wish Vince and crew hadn't ruined the invasion angle.. One of the biggest missed opportunities ever.

Though they didn't get much top talent right away, but had they really booked that initial group right, then I'd imagine more stars would have joined WWE more quickly. They were all booked so poorly that there was very little incentive for any big name WCW star to come to WWE.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
On the night it was incredible, but it turned out to be the worst thing that happened to the business.

We should all fervently hope that wwf's attempted purchase of ROH fails.

I hope WWE does not shut ROH down if they actually buy them.

I just wish Sinclair would spend some money and increase ROH's production value. The quality of wrestling is already there.

I don't fault or blame Vince or WWE for buying WCW... It was a brilliant purchase at the time, shutting out your #1 rival when they completely ruined their product. But I really wish Vince and crew hadn't ruined the invasion angle.. One of the biggest missed opportunities ever.

Though they didn't get much top talent right away, but had they really booked that initial group right, then I'd imagine more stars would have joined WWE more quickly. They were all booked so poorly that there was very little incentive for any big name WCW star to come to WWE.

Some of the big stars in WCW were still getting paid from their previous contracts even after WCW went out of business.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I always thought the invasion angle was a wasted opportunity, but in an interview recently someone pointed out that WWE didn't have the wcw stars they needed to make it even remotely successful anyways. They did the best they could with what they had, which was mostly garbage c tier wcw wrestlers. Because anyone worth a damn was sitting at home collecting paychecks for doing nothing.

I do think it could have been interesting to do an angle where the available wcw stars come in initially, get treated like crap, humiliated and mocked and shit on endlessly. Have it just get worse and worse for months on end until the big names were ready to join. Then have Hogan, Nash, hall, flair, Goldberg, ddp, Steiner and whomever else come in all at once and kind of rally the existing wcw stars that had been getting shit on all this time to rebel and go to war with the wwe locker room. Have them try to take over and finally fight back after all that humiliation.

But eh whatever, that era was garbage until the aggression era anyway.

somedevil

The problem at the time was that TNT kicked them off the channel.

So if Vince had not bought them then whoever bought it would also have to find another cable channel to put the show not owned by Turner/AOL.

Plus looking how eric bischoff ran TNA to the ground would he have gotten WCW anywhere back to form if he purchased it and put it on a new channel?

One of the worst things to ever happen to the wrestling industry.

Even with all of the bad stuff that happened during its final two years, WCW is still sorely missed to this day.

Damn fucking right.

The day Shane showed up on Nitro was the moment I really lost a lot of my passion for wrasslin.

Zimbardo

loved it at the time. at that point, WCW was junk and WWF was miles better. was excited to see what could be done with all the new possibilities.

too bad things went downhill from there.

The Day Wrestling Died.

Stopped watching not long after. Never really got back into it, probably seen less than 5 PPVs in the last 15 years, and less than 10 TV shows.

Hydrus

Was this when the whole "Alliance" crap happened? Because that's what killed all interest in WWF for me. Haven't watched a show since.

The problem at the time was that TNT kicked them off the channel.

So if Vince had not bought them then whoever bought it would also have to find another cable channel to put the show not owned by Turner/AOL.

Plus looking how eric bischoff ran TNA to the ground would he have gotten WCW anywhere back to form if he purchased it and put it on a new channel?
I highly doubt it. What Bischoff tried to do the whole Monday Night Wars thing again, but with a smaller company with almost the same players too.

Some of the big stars in WCW were still getting paid from their previous contracts even after WCW went out of business.

Yeah, but had, say, Lance Storm come in (a guy who was booked really well in ECW, had tons of in ring talent) and made an impact then I think more of the older WCW stars who were collecting on their contracts and not working would have seen the opportunity there to make more money in the long term and be willing to redo their deals to get back in the limelight.

WWE/F was gonna try to have WCW as a separate brand but UPN/TNN weren't up for it because WCW was a poisoned well. They tried out a few house shows but it stunk. Also not helping matters was that Vince was already burning millions with the XFL instead of buying out contracts.

While WWE suffered by not having the big stars, I think it's probably good that their enormous contracts weren't bought up by Vince. Those contracts are a (the?) major contributing factor to why WCW went out of business. And it wasn't just the money in the contracts, but all of the creative control clauses.

Heroman

Banned
I always thought the invasion angle was a wasted opportunity, but in an interview recently someone pointed out that WWE didn't have the wcw stars they needed to make it even remotely successful anyways. They did the best they could with what they had, which was mostly garbage c tier wcw wrestlers. Because anyone worth a damn was sitting at home collecting paychecks for doing nothing.

I do think it could have been interesting to do an angle where the available wcw stars come in initially, get treated like crap, humiliated and mocked and shit on endlessly. Have it just get worse and worse for months on end until the big names were ready to join. Then have Hogan, Nash, hall, flair, Goldberg, ddp, Steiner and whomever else come in all at once and kind of rally the existing wcw stars that had been getting shit on all this time to rebel and go to war with the wwe locker room. Have them try to take over and finally fight back after all that humiliation.

But eh whatever, that era was garbage until the aggression era anyway.
They could have gotten the top guys, they choose not. Vince wanted to show that his guy were better than Ted guys?

NYR

Worst thing to happen the industry ever. Killed any competition and made a lazy, arrogant monopoly that is nothing more than a corporate machine regurgating past-their-prime wrestlers and no new talent that is equivalent to the true stars of the 80s and 90s.
I was going to post in this thread, realized it was old, and then saw I already posted last year. My thoughts remain, WWE is in a lot of trouble, awful product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom