• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NXT Takeover: Brooklyn III |OT| The Eclipse Comes Early

Last night was when I bought into the hype on Black. That was probably my second favorite match on the card after Asuka vs Moon.

Great card top to bottom, with a nice variety of match styles (without needing to resort to gimmicks!!!) and everything delivered. I haven't been watching NXT to know how well the build up to the card was, but that was a great two and a half hours of pro wrestling.

The selling last night seemed espescially good all through the card. Might sound like a weird comment, but seeing that GIF of Asuka selling the eclipse reminded me. Loads of really good selling last night.

This took me forever... I was going to use Game of Thrones but this was easier and still how I felt.

yZZfOQl.gif

On one hand I was just about getting over the heartbreak, on the other hand that's perfect.

Things would probably be more consistent without Vince's uhhh eccentricities.

Wow I spelled that right without the assistance of spell check.

This took me forever... I was going to use Game of Thrones but this was easier and still how I felt.

yZZfOQl.gif
My reaction was a reverse of his reaction

daemissary

I'll admit I'm not familiar with Adam Cole but my immediate fear is that this will lead to an era where the heel is constantly more over than the faces - and that is never a good thing. You saw it at yesterday's main event or even at the women's match. Thank god we had Nakamura for a year to restore things to normal but they now need faces that are super popular and that can be taken seriously. They need to clearly establish Black as a face now and tone down the mystery angle and move Gargano up the ladder quickly.

Wrestling is way more fun when both the heel and the face are over. Hearing dueling positive chants for both of the competitors like we heard in Roode/McIntyre and Asuka/Ember is so much better than hearing "Let's go Cena/Cena sucks" over and over and over.

NXT also does this thing where they listen to the crowd reactions and actually turn people like Andrade.

It's just so much better than the main roster in every way that it's mind blowing that it's even the same company.

sora87

I wasn't too hyped on this Takeover compared to some of the recent ones but holy shit was that a great show. Black/Itami beat the shit out of each other! The tag title match had no right being as fun as it was (i went into it not giving much of a shit) and the opening match was top tier stuff, Gargano is just so fun to watch. Asuka and Ember had a much better match this time around too, really enjoyed seeing Asuka pushed to her limit. Roode/Drew was a slow burn like all Roode's matches but it got better and better. They got me with the fake outro credits again too ha. The more stables the better :p

Summerslam gonna look like a shitshow after that no doubt. Trips is just such a better booker it's crazy.

Drop the belt by literally handing it to the winner of the MYC maybe. The streak is too big to waste down at NXT, she's definitely coming up undefeated.

I think the issue with breaking the streak on the main roster is that the main roster womens booking is even worse than it is on NXT right now so chances are that it's wasted on there too. Then you need to consider that NXT doesn't mean much to a lot of the WWE audience.

I think if Charlotte kept her RAW booking she's be the one legit challenger, but she's been pushed aside on Smackdown in favour of Naomi, Natty, Lana, Carmella and Tamina.

I'll admit I'm not familiar with Adam Cole but my immediate fear is that this will lead to an era where the heel is constantly more over than the faces - and that is never a good thing. You saw it at yesterday's main event or even at the women's match. Thank god we had Nakamura for a year to restore things to normal but they now need faces that are super popular and that can be taken seriously. They need to clearly establish Black as a face now and tone down the mystery angle and move Gargano up the ladder quickly.

Umm we've been in that era for a long time.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I think the issue with breaking the streak on the main roster is that the main roster womens booking is even worse than it is on NXT right now so chances are that it's wasted on there too. Then you need to consider that NXT doesn't mean much to a lot of the WWE audience.

I think if Charlotte kept her RAW booking she's be the one legit challenger, but she's been pushed aside on Smackdown in favour of Naomi, Natty, Lana, Carmella and Tamina.

I don't disagree at all actually, the end of Asuka's streak is almost guaranteed to be a disappointment. That being said, it's just nuts to think she loses in NXT at this point. After she retained clean as a whistle over the 2nd most dominant woman on that roster, it's not even a possibility.

I don't disagree at all actually, the end of Asuka's streak is almost guaranteed to be a disappointment. That being said, it's just nuts to think she loses in NXT at this point. After she retained clean as a whistle over the 2nd most dominant woman on that roster, it's not even a possibility.

My thinking is, it'd be whoever wins the Mae Young classic IF someone looks strong enough coming off of that to be worthy of the rub.

gun_haver

All streaks end in disappointment.

Gargano/Almas - 2.5
AoP/Sanity - 3
Black/Itami - 3.75
Asuka/Ember - 4.25
Bobby/Drew - 3.5

Pretty middling Takeover overall and easily the worst of the Brooklyn shows, but exceeded my low expectations. I'm real glad the Roode era is over. I like Bobby but he belongs on the main roster where he'd be a comfortable mid-carder instead of dragging the top of the card down. Been real sporadic watching the weeklies the last couple months but I'm pretty excited about the direction of NXT between now and the next PPV.

Your ratings of the first and last match suggest insanity. Are you okay?

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Gonna be great when Asuka loses to a random Alexa Bliss match in 4 months.

This main event is a bore. Women should've main evented.

Read this once you've finished it:

Men had to main event because of the Adam Cole ending, that's what they wanted ending the show. I thought it was a very good match, but I found it hard to get into because the hot program is roode/strong, and drew hasn't really gotten over on nxt

Asuka match was better (and in fact the best match on the show imo, just ahead of Black/Itami.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Meltzer said it was top 3 women's matches in WWE history.

kiguel182

Read this once you've finished it:

Men had to main event because of the Adam Cole ending, that's what they wanted ending the show. I thought it was a very good match, but I found it hard to get into because the hot program is roode/strong, and drew hasn't really gotten over on nxt

Asuka match was better (and in fact the best match on the show imo, just ahead of Black/Itami.

Yeah, I get now why it had to main event. Still couldn't get into it.

I would rate Black vs Itami ahead but maybe I wasn't expecting it to be as good and it made more of an impact for it. Asuka vs Moon was really good.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm not trying to be effusive about the show but it was awesome.

Angry Grimace

I'm seriously questioning why HHH doesn't have the book.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Takeover was great. I thought it was a lot more enjoyable than last year honestly. Most fun I had watching a card from start to finish this year.

night814

The Black/Itami and Asuka/Moon matches were great as expected. Glad SaNitY got the tag belts, I can't stand the AoP. Great takeover as usual.

kiguel182

I just prefer the WWE's style of production, so when they put on a show that good, I'm likely to like it more than most anything else.

Like I would sooner recommend this as a whole show to someone than Dominion. But I would sooner tell someone to watch Dominion's top three (Okada/Omega, Tanahashi/Naito, and Takahashi/Kushida) than this show. So it's a weird balance.

Ultimately I can see why that would make me crazy, but I can't change how I feel. lol

The fact that NXT is short and lean make it a much better package than 5 hours extravaganzas. Even if every match was Okada/Omega 5 hours is just a lot. Too much.

Of course those top three matches alone are better than everything here but if we are avaluating an entire show then yeah, I agree.

Sheroking

"Has the book" is a hilarious smark thing to say about WWE.

There is no "book". There hasn't been a book in WWE for 25 years. There's Vince at the top, Stephanie underneath him, senior producers like Michael Hayes, and a large team of writers.

Like you said before, someone in the back is really smart and knows what (s)he is doing, if that's indeed Trips then I cannot wait for Vince to die

What a gross, shitty thing to say.

As Hunter himself as said many times, NXT is not Raw/Smackdown. It's got a very linear demographic ("smart" to the business adult men), doesn't have all the sponsorship and merch stuff hanging over it and gets to be it's own thing.

It's not like WWE shows would start being booked exactly like NXT.

Top Bottom