• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NXT Takeover: Chicago |OT| We Are Awesome! We Are Awesome!

fhqwhgads

vmssg_SyV2o--2fa0f45a37cc77296bbb09a613403e72.jpg

When: May 20th, 8PM Eastern, 5PM Pacific
Where: Allstate Arena, Chicago Illinois
Watch: WWE Network only

Who needs Nakamura or Joe when you have a card as good looking as this? For one brief night, forget everything about the MIA Universal Champion and Braun being injured for some NXT action.

20170421_NXTtakeover_CHICAGO_TEMP_roodeitami--fa2f6116e77e386ccfc8a7be11b17997.jpg

NXT Championship Match: Bobby Roode Vs Hideo Itami
Let's all pray that Itami doesn't get injured again, also pray he doesn't botch the GTS or else the crowd is gonna eat him alive.

20170503_NXTtakeover_CHICAGO_TEMP_womenstriple--fa711a261f96e88247c7f5215213ba8c.jpg

NXT Women's Championship Match: Asuka Vs Ruby Riot Vs Nikki Cross
The Asuka division has been pretty strong lately, but there's always a chance of an upset tonight. Smackdown could really use with Asuka dropping the belt and coming on over.

20170516_NXTtakeover_CHICAGO_tagteam--ff1d616f9359d111ca63662cbff79b36.jpg

NXT Tag Team Championship Match: Authors of Pain Vs #DIY
Injury or not, angle or rumour, we all know this match is going to be one hell of a ride regardless. It's amazing how the tag division is somehow thriving with so few teams.

20170506_NXTtakeover_CHICAGO_TEMP_TylerBate_PeterDunne--04a8ab05a80ec12b2efc47ee0c50ba60.jpg

WWE United Kingdom Championship Match: Tyler Bate Vs Pete Dunne
Another rematch! If the UK special wasn't enough to satisfy your need for British wrestling, this'll surely help you there.

20170516_NXTtakeover_CHICAGO_TEMP_StrongYoung--b65c2296361150f141a09132056823d6.jpg

Roderick Strong Vs Eric Young
Every card needs a filler match. Not to say it'll be bad, I just really wanna see Sanity go Evolution and snap up all the belts already.

Razorskin

----- ------
BOBBY ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Easily the most important match in Hideo Itami/KENTA's U.S. career. He hasn't had a Takeover match in over 2 years and this is only his 3rd overall Takeover match. He and Roderick Strong had an excellent match about 2 weeks ago, so it's clear he can still put on a hell of a performance.

If his match with Roode tonight falls flat, this might be the end of the Hideo Itami experiment. Of course another injury would end the experiment as well, but let's not talk about that.

abundant

Easily the most important match in Hideo Itami/KENTA's U.S. career. He hasn't had a Takeover match in over 2 years and this is only his 3rd overall Takeover match. He and Roderick Strong had an excellent match about 2 weeks ago, so it's clear he can still put on a hell of a performance.

If his match with Roode tonight falls flat, this might be the end of the Hideo Itami experiment. Of course another injury would end the experiment as well, but let's not talk about that.

Yeah it's really unfortunate of what's become of his NXT run. He should be on the main roster by now, but 2 untimely injuries have basically killed all momentum he had when he came to the WWE.

Ithil

In Chicago? LOL.

It's a catch between the fact that they're in Punk's town, but it's an NXT show and the fans know the GTS is really Itami's move. They've been hostile towards any attempt by a crowd to chant Punk for the GTS since he got there.

CM Punk chants happen in WWE to voice annoyance if the crowd hates something - or if a McMahon is in the ring as that is target of such annoyance. It is basically shorthand for "please give us something better, we still like you but want something a bit better than you are giving us now"

Takeover seems safe from such chants, even if this is a tad lower tier than most shows in the past. Backlash (with Orton and Jinder) is the exact situation for a crowd the rebel.

I dont want Asuka to lose the belt now they have Io Shirai and Kairi Hojo available to make appearances. Takeover Brooklyn III would be amazing if it just has a triple threat with those three.

Also, I know she apparently can't do it anymore, but look at this amazing elbow...

76cb51e4b82827dcdbeb466f27c12d8e06d69d77_hq.gif

I dont want Asuka to lose the belt now they have Io Shirai and Kairi Hojo available to make appearances. Takeover Brooklyn III would be amazing if it just has a triple threat with those three.

Also, I know she apparently can't do it anymore, but look at this amazing elbow...

So much better than Bayley's.

I think it's been said the women's tournament which they will be apart of is being set for after Brooklyn.

Zach

So much worse than Bayley's.

It looks like a PS1 wrestling game animation and I love it.

I hope she gets to keep it because screw Bayley.

I'm 90% sure this is gonna be Itami's last match in NXT.

Because he is gonna get called up or because he is going to blow out his shoulder again?

somedevil

Lot of people on twitter expecting Adam Cole in the crowd spot. Get ready to be let down by them showing Michael Bennett instead.

edit: Someone tried a beach ball as well but someone caught and deflated it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't think Adam Cole can show up. I think he's on a TV based non compete from ROH still.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I hope Dunne wins. He's an amazing heel.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'm not a Fozzy fan, but this new track that's sponsored on this card gets in my head whenever I hear it. Pretty catchy.

Asuka needs to drop that belt but...the SD! women are doing a divas match from 2011.

I dunno.

Asuka needs to be called up while still holding the belt. She vacates it the undefeated monster champion, carries that heat forward to the main roster, and the upcoming woman's tournament is now for the vacant belt.

Boom.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I'm not a Fozzy fan, but this new track that's sponsored on this card gets in my head whenever I hear it. Pretty catchy.

yeah I like it a lot. So much so that I decided to check their other stuff...

...which I regreted >_>

somedevil

What I find funny is that Paul Ellering works for NXT but WWE has not signed his daughter yet. Though when she did jobber matches they called her Rachel Evers which is a rib on Lance Storm cause thats his last name and he trained her.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
What I find funny is that Paul Ellering works for NXT but WWE has not signed his daughter yet. Though when she did jobber matches they called her Rachel Evers which is a rib on Lance Storm cause thats his last name and he trained her.
I'm pretty sure they have credited her as Rachael Ellering before (she's done a few random jobber matches). Names don't mean anything until you're assigned a character.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'm pretty sure they have credited her as Rachael Ellering before (she's done a few random jobber matches). Names don't mean anything until you're assigned a character.

Yup Jobber names are just random nonsense, though sometimes they are ribbing something, like Trip Bradshaw.

Top Bottom