• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NXT Takeover: San Antonio |OT| Glorious Rumble

Status
Not open for further replies.
8IaMc34.png

Coming to you live from the Freeman Colosseum in San Antonio, Texas, the road to NXT Takeover: Orlando - Homecoming (a name I've just made up) begins – NXT Takeover: San Antonio.

Watch on the WWE Network: Watch from tonight, Saturday, January 28, from 8pm EST/5pm PST/1am UK GMT/2am CET (look it up elsewhere if you're outside either of those timezones). If you're not a sub already, you can watch your first month on the Network - including Takeover and Royal Rumble - for free! Plus, if you're a lapsed sub who's been gone for a while, check your emails: you may have an offer where if you resub, you can get three months free. That includes Elimination Chamber (Smackdown), FastLane (Raw), the 2017 WWE Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony, NXT Takeover Orlando and Wrestlemania 33! All for the mighty low price of...

adnxa2j.gif

-----

Last NXT Takeover - NXT Takeover: Toronto

006_NXT_11192016rf_0349--f6f01c72524c3ca2e969eaf0e2eb06ab.jpg

Bobby Roode def Tye Dillinger

011_NXT_11192016rf_0618--609c834f764fa678e3d4927fd1e45933.jpg

Authors of Pain (Rezar and Akam, w Paul Ellering) def TM61 (Shane Thorne and Nick Miller) to win the Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic Tournament

023_NXT_11192016jg_0921--d88e2779f7800122d6465bdfe43bddc5.jpg

#DIY (Johnny Gargano and Tomasso Ciampa) def The Revival (Dash Wilder and Scott Dawson) in a Two Out of Three Falls match to become NXT Tag Team Champions

032_NXT_11192016jg_1679--c90b49a0dfb9e221488099f5d36a27de.jpg

Asuka def Mickie James to retain the NXT Women's Championship

037_NXT_11192016jg_2327--d04bd098c7998fbac40dd993783ee0b7.jpg

Samoa Joe def Shinsuke Nakamura to become NXT Champion (and first 2x NXT champ)
-----

With that recap, here's what's on tap for San Antonio

8l6pie4.png

Andrade ‘Cien' Almas vs Roderick Strong

After making up half of the Fatal 4 Way that determined the number one contender for the NXT Championship at Takeover at the end of last year, Almas and Strong will face off against one another after Almas challenged Strong. Then Almas attacked Strong on this week's NXT. And that's kinda been the build.

GCPyiIZ.png

Tye Dillinger vs Eric Young

The Perfect 10 has been on somewhat of a massive slump. Losing in his homecoming at NXT Takeover Toronto to Bobby Roode and then again at a NXT taping to Samoa Joe soon after, capped off by coming up short in the Fatal 4 Way number one contender's match last year. Sanity leader Eric Young offered him a way into the group, saying he'd get everything he want with the group. Dillinger turned them down and after being attacked by the group, including its newest member Killain Dain (fka as Big Damo/Nikki Cross's NXT new best frieeeeeend), Young and Dillinger will face off in what could well be Dillinger's last chance to prove himself in NXT and to prove he belongs there. If not, what next for the Perfect 10?

There's a very good chance Dillinger's going to be in the Royal Rumble tomorrow. Take a guess which number

WClPmFk.png

#DIY (Johnny Gargano and Tommaso Ciampa) vs the Authors of Pain (Rezar and Akam, w Paul Ellering) for the NXT Tag Team Championship

#DIY had three of the best matches of last year: one between each other in the Cruiserweight Classic last Summer and two actual Match of the Year candidates at two consecutive Takeovers against The Revival, the latter at NXT Takeover Toronto, a Two Out of Three Falls match, actually chosen by WWE.com as its 2016 MOTY. And it was through that match the pair finally became NXT Tag Team Champions.

However, a serious obstacle stands in their way: the Authors of Pain. Since debuting at NXT Takeover: The End last June, under Paul Ellering's wings, the group has laid a path of destruction across the NXT Tag Division, their biggest success to date being the second-ever winners of the Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic Tournament at NXT Takeover Toronto against TM61.

Now, AoP looks to complete its journey to the top of NXT's tag summit by defeating #DIY and claim the Tag Titles at Takeover.

5N4MHBp.png

Asuka vs Nikki Cross vs Billie Kay vs Peyton Royce in a Fatal 4 Way for the NXT Women's Championship

Since debuting in late 2015, Asuka has remained undefeated. She has overcome – and at times, destroyed – those who've faced her: Dana Brooke, Emma, Bayley (twice), Nia Jax, Mickie James. NXT Takeover Dallas was where she was crowned NXT Women's Champion, defeating Bayley for it and then again four months later at NXT Takeover Brooklyn at the rematch, inbetween a Nia Jax match at Takeover: The End. Since then, she's had an iron grip on the belt and taking down everyone in the women's division. Seemingly, there was no stopping her.

That might change.

Asuka's arrogance and her ego in asking for a Fatal 4 Way, which came after Billie Kay and Peyton Royce, and then subsequently by Nikki Cross, attacked her, may be her eventual downfall. She has a 25 percent chance of retaining her title and a 75 percent chance of losing, doubly when you consider the Australian Fatales of Kay and Royce. But the money match down the line would surely be Asuka and Cross one-on-one. Don't be too shocked if Cross gains the title here, but Asuka isn't the one pinned so they can set up a match for NXT Takeover Orlando in April.

Either way, this should be a pretty darn amazing match and is, in this OP's opinion, the most anticipated match of the night.

LkzZk8g.png

Shinsuke Nakamura vs Bobby Roode for the NXT Championship

The King of Strong Style regained the NXT Championship from Samoa Joe at an NXT house show in Osaka, Japan that was filmed for NXT TV. The subsequent rematch, and the feud burner, saw Nakamura retain against Joe in Melbourne, Australia in a cage match, again filmed for NXT TV.

Now that Samoa Joe is in the rear-view, and is (hopefully) gonna enter the Royal Rumble tomorrow, all eyes now turn to the Glorious One. When Nakamura debuted at NXT Takeover Dallas after a five-star match against Sami Zayn, sitting at ringside was the man he'd face nine months later in San Antonio for the NXT Championship – something Roode was keen to point out to Nakamura after he was presented with his ticket stub for Dallas.

WWE is billing it as a big money fight and the biggest match in NXT. While that is supremely hyperbole at this point, this should still be nothing short of fantastic. Dare I say... glorious?
-----
Pre show:

Hour-long pre-show across every platform you think of and on the WWE Network – Presented by Charley Caruso, with Corey Graves and Nigel McGuinness (!!!). Starts at 7pm EST/4pm PST/12am UK GMT/1am CET.

And that's your pre-Royal Rumble appitizer! See you back here later!

bigkrev

I'll catch the main event later if I hear it's good, and maybe the Almas-Strong match as well. No real interest in this show otherwise. I don't know who any of the challengers in that women's match are!

Mahonay

Banned
I'll probably excited for this more than most people on WrassleGAF. TakeOvers are still always fun to watch, even if compelling storylines have dropped off significantly. Crowd is pretty much always super hype during these. These shows still have a great atmosphere.

GeeTeeCee

I love NXT, but it really feels like most of these feuds/matches only began a week or so ago, and the premise behind a few of them is thin as hell.

I'm sure the event itself will still be great.

Kurita

I don't watch NXT weekly but TakeOvers are always fun shows, so I'm in.

I can't get over Roderick Strong tho. Dude is the definition of generic name and look.

Although I'm sure the show will be good, this is the first Takeover I have no interest in watching.

To be honest, the first Takeover I wasn't interested in watching - at least live - was Toronto.

Turns out it was the best Takeover that wasn't Dallas of last year. Point is don't be sleeping on a Takeover, even if the build hasn't been as good as it should be.

Cosmozone

If you think about it, the card is actually not bad at all. A lot of competent wrestlers on it. The only thing that hurts a lot is the lack of build to most of the matches. I wouldn't mind some comedy spots in the main event, e.g. mocking the body language of each other. For the women's match, a heel turn is still looming. And the tag team match, although being the weakest on paper, can have at least some fun power spots.

Cosmozone

Wait I haven't followed NXT since NXT Toronto, but looking at the hype video for this match everybody looks like a heel except Asuka (who is always in between face and heel tbh)
I'd say they need a heel to face Ember Moon next Takeover. Also I feel Asuka leaned more to the heel side in the recent months. But yeah, I often was expecting a turn which never came. The outcome of the match is still somewhat unpredictable.

It's a shame TM-61 vs. Revival was cancelled due to Thorne's injury. It would have been a great sendoff for the Revival and a great push for TM-61

Yep. Would have been a really great match.
Dunno about that, tm61 are bland as fuck and I could easily see the crowd shitting on it. The revival have benefited match wise from having over as fuck faces going against them and the crowd getting very into the matches.

Mahonay

Banned
Dunno about that, tm61 are bland as fuck and I could easily see the crowd shitting on it. The revival have benefited match wise from having over as fuck faces going against them and the crowd getting very into the matches.
That's just a tad hyperbolic.

It would be a technically exciting match with the working ability of all 4 guys.

But yes there's pretty much nothing whatsoever there story wise. Not suggesting at all it would be anywhere close to the Revival matches.

I don't think the card looks as weak as people have been saying but I haven't watched a single NXT episode since Toronto. Raw and Smackdown take up so much of my time and are a hell of a lot better than they were a year ago.

I'll try and watch the show but I couldn't easily miss it and I wouldn't be bothered. Nakamura needs to move up to the main roster quick time to freshen up the product.

Ithil

They're bland, but they're strong wrestlers. The action in the match would have been excellent, there was no way the crowd would have shit on it.

How many matches in Takeover history have had a hostile crowd?

They're bland, but they're strong wrestlers. The action in the match would have been excellent, there was no way the crowd would have shit on it.

How many matches in Takeover history have had a hostile crowd?
Hasn't every takeover being held in smark central (either in a heavy smark city or at a Mania), is San Antonio one of those towns/gonna have enough people flying in? Even if so it's just one of those matches I could've seen people singing nakamuras theme throughout or some shit cos no one gives a fuck about tm61. Same as a few matches on the card to be fair.

ShadyK54

The Roode and Nakamura entrances will make buying tickets for this Takeover completely worth it, even if the card isn't exactly all that hot. Should be fun either way, though.

Ithil

Hasn't every takeover being held in smark central (either in a heavy smark city or at a Mania), is San Antonio one of those towns/gonna have enough people flying in? Even if so it's just one of those matches I could've seen people singing nakamuras theme throughout or some shit cos no one gives a fuck about tm61. Same as a few matches on the card to be fair.

It's attached to the Rumble, the only other PPV besides WM that people travel for. It's going to be hardcore crowd.

Again, TM61 are bland characters, but good wrestlers. Their match with the AoP did not get shit on last Takeover, having a match with NXT's best tag team wasn't going to be either.

It's attached to the Rumble, the only other PPV besides WM that people travel for. It's going to be hardcore crowd.

Again, TM61 are bland characters, but good wrestlers. Their match with the AoP did not get shit on last Takeover, having a match with NXT's best tag team wasn't going to be either.
Ok, sorry Paul.

I'm glad that the Revival are gone, but man the roster looks much weaker than last year. It's obvious that they're just biding time with Nak, but he doesn't really have anybody else in NXT who would be an interesting opponent.

El-Suave

I wish they held these combo NXT events on Friday - staying up super late two days in a row is really hard for us Europeans.

Can't wait for the "Hey guys, you know there's violin in his theme" Nakamura entrance. I hope they allow Nakamura to be the spectacle for once and not the violin player(s). His last Takeover entrance was so damn corny.

I hope there's a surprise angle

I really like Cien Andrade and feel he can be a great top heel but they arent giving him a decent program. He should have Drifter's heat and they actually give him a good angle to work the crowds

They also need to be utilizing main event talent on NXT. Cesaro was amazing in NXT. I think they can bring in guys like Sheamus or even Ziggler

Mahonay

Banned
Can't wait for the "Hey guys, you know there's violin in his theme" Nakamura entrance. I hope they allow Nakamura to be the spectacle for once and not the violin player(s). His last Takeover entrance was so damn corny.
I have to imagine they learned their lesson from last time. Almost everyone thought that was corny as fuck. Just let Nak do his thing.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like

Nakamura has been low key learning violin for the last year and he is going to play himself out tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom