• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NXT TakeOver: Toronto |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brinbe

Just getting back from the show. Caught it with fellow GAFer Krae_man. Don't know how it came across on TV but that was a great fucking show.

Toronto crowd always delivers and they weren't too obnoxious like some indie crowds. Just super into good-ass wrasslin'.

Going to Survivor Series and Raw these next few days and I don't know how they come close to topping this show.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I thought it was an excellent show with a super awesome tag champions match.

Just got back. Everything was great except for that abomination of a gimmick match that was the Dusty Rhodes classic finale. I am guessing that she was designed by Mattel and WWE agreed to use it. That stupid crane setup wasn't even connected to the cage.

I got home and put on takeover. Just finished the The Revival match. THAT FUCKING MATCH, HOLY SHIT REVIVAL HAS BEEN MONEY SINCE THEY'VE ARRIVED. God damn when he slid on the floor to stop Gargano from tagging, milking the crowd heat, the heel tactics, holding each other's hand at the end. DIY is good as well. Jesus I cannot say enough good things about this match. Wow. Top guy stuff indeed.

Jerm411

New rule....there should be a Revival/DIY match on every Takeover show from here on out. Holy shit what a match....

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Can't wait for the Revival to hit Raw so they can start with the dick and fart jokes and getting pumpkins smashed over their heads.

Pray they're sent to Smackdown. They've been fantastic over the last year or so and I dread Vince and his stooge agents screwing with their work.

Weird they put the tag matches back to back but there wasn't anything that could really be put between them since you want a hot opener and the other matches deserved their placement. Mickie definitely gave Asuka's best TV match as I thought it could potentially be despite the weirdly rushed finish. I'm expecting a rematch though with Asuka winning again and in the meantime I really, really hope they start doing more to build up Ember Moon over the next four or so months. Guess they're setting up Nakamura beating Joe in Japan to get the title back next month?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
That DIY/Revival match is legit one of the best tag team matches I can remember seeing, ever. That shit was phenomenal. Perfect across the board.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
That DIY/Revival match is legit one of the best tag team matches I can remember seeing, ever. That shit was phenomenal. Perfect across the board.

Revival won't rest until Meltzer relents and names them team of the year.

Now that Joe got his title back, I wonder what is the next plan for him. Personally I wish he go up to the main roster with the title to feud with AJ Styles but that would be too good to be true.

LiQuid!

In my dreams Joe pulled a Naito, threw the belt in the damn trash as a final FU to Regal and then peaced out from the company cause it's beneath him. Then he'd run in tonight to kick Brock in the nuts putting Oldberg over and setting up the Mania match we all want to see.

The Revival are not going to stand out on the main roster. They won't get the kind of matches that make them stand out. They've worked good matches with DIY where they can make the audience go nuts with false finishes, but who is going to buy that with, say, Bray Wyatt and Luke Harper? It wasn't very believable with American Alpha, either.

They've got good psychology, but physically they're behind the eight ball on the main roster. It's going to be rough. They should just cut some fucking weight and tear it up on 205Live.

I dunno, how are American Alpha and The Vaudevillains doing?
One of those is boring, the other woefully underused.
American Alpha are a cheap knockoff Team Angle to the point where everyone says they should legit be the backup of a returning Kurt Angle.

TWGTT were never really that great as a team back in the day in that they were used poorly to rubber stamp the main event run of a performer that was injured more often than not.

That AA have fallen to the point where nobody can come up with a legitimate gimmick for them that isn't a blatant repeat of one from over ten years ago speaks volumes about their ability to deliver as character performers.

If you think that's a good thing then I beg to disagree.

The Revival are by and far the superior team of the two. I want nothing more than Revival to go to Raw and literally destroy the New Day and hold on to the tag team titles until Mania before losing them to #DIY (who should lose them to AOP).

Ithil

One of those is boring, the other woefully underused.
American Alpha are a cheap knockoff Team Angle to the point where everyone says they should legit be the backup of a returning Kurt Angle.

TWGTT were never really that great as a team back in the day in that they were used poorly to rubber stamp the main event run of a performer that was injured more often than not.

That AA have fallen to the point where nobody can come up with a legitimate gimmick for them that isn't a blatant repeat of one from over ten years ago speaks volumes about their ability to deliver as character performers.

If you think that's a good thing then I beg to disagree.

The Revival are by and far the superior team of the two. I want nothing more than Revival to go to Raw and literally destroy the New Day and hold on to the tag team titles until Mania before losing them to #DIY (who should lose them to AOP).

Alpha are way better than Team Angle ever were.

Mahonay

Banned
Copy and paste of my comments in the wrasslin' OT about my feelings on TakeOver;

Watched TakeOver late last night. DIY vs The Revival was absolutely fucking incredible. How those guys could remember that many complex spots, and execute on all of them, is beyond me. God damn. That goes right in my list for MOTY contenders.

Great opening match too. Both Roode and Tye had a larger than life feel in the ring, and they had the crowd eating from their palms. I really hope they give Tye a legit shot on the main roster, there's star presence there with him. Nothing needs to be said about Roode, dude is an absolute legend. I loved how over the 10 chant was the entire night. I hope that helps Tye get an actual push.

I'll add my 2 cents here as well about the other matches -

- TM61 vs The Authors of Pain. The whole hanging Paul Ellering in a cage over the ring was a great callback to an absolutely ridiculous gimmick from the Attitude Era, back when Commissioner Slaughter was putting Chyna in a steel cage. I thought TM61 definitely showed what they were capable of, that somersault by Thorne off the crane structure was pretty insane. And I'm continually impressed with the kind of spots huge dudes like Razar and Akam are able to do. I do see a ton of potential in them, and I think WWE is making the right decision in getting behind them. It's too bad about the finish of the match, that seemed like it was botched. I would have liked to see it go longer than it did.

- Asuka vs Mickie James exceeded my expectations. Mickie can absolutely still go at her age, and Asuka seemed to take pretty good care of her in the ring, even with one or two rough spots. Didn't really buy Asuka struggling to beat Mickie, but they put on a very decent match.

- Joe vs Nakamura was great. I liked how aggressive Nak looked, made a lot of sense for the story. Almost plays off as Joe getting into his head to the point Nakamura got overly angry and put off his game. I love the idea of building Joe up as a monster, very glad he won, and they protected Nak by putting in the low blow there so it's not technically a clean victory. Even using the stair slam spot, that Joe had taken him out with previously in the build up to this match. Awesome story telling, and good but not incredible wrestling.

LiQuid!

Even tho the crowd chanting Nakamura's theme song is starting to wear a little thin it was pretty neat how they did it to try and will some power into him during that late rest hold. That match eclipsed the hell out of their Brooklyn match in every way. I really loved it. Really curious this gets booked moving forward.

RBH

brotapnfsp6.gif

akileese

I feel like Joe/Nakamura just don't have a lot of chemistry in the WWE style. I wasn't high on their first match or the rematch. Just something about the pacing of it at all that doesn't seem to work for me. It doesn't help that the last two shows they've been matched against an amazing DIY/Revival match but there's just something about it.

It's really upsetting because when Nakamura came to WWE it was one of the matches I really wanted to see most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom