• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NXT TakeOver: The End [OT] My Only Friend, The End...

Status
Not open for further replies.
7golPMu.png

t1465430400z1.png

On June 8 from Full Sail University in Winter Park, FL, NXT - which arguably out Wrestlemania-ed Wrestlemania in Dallas - promises to make history once again with their latest NXT TakeOver special. Fittingly titled "The End", it promises to be the conclusion to one of the most bitter feuds in NXT history, and will perhaps see the end of an era for WWE's developmental juggernaut, live, exclusively on the WWE Network.

x9UUE0i.jpg

Andrade "Cien" Almas vs. Tye Dillinger

Known as "The Perfect 10", Tye Dillinger has gained a cult following due to his wrestling skill and belief in his abilities, which has grown into an almost fanatical devotion for the digits 1 and 0, in that order. Looking for an opportunity to prove himself, Dillinger reached out to NXT General Manager William Regal on Twitter for a match at TakeOver: The End, to which Regal was happy to oblige, as Dillinger will be the first opponent for NXT's newest star, Andrade "Cien" Almas.

Formerly a massive draw for CMLL in Mexico as the masked luchador La Sombra, Almas won numerous championships and headlined numerous huge events, and is a co-founder of the famed Los Ingobernables stable, of which New Japan's current IWGP Heavyweight champion, Tetsuya Naito, is a member. Almas was unmasked late last year, and signed with WWE as their latest international acquisition. While little is known about how Almas will be presented in NXT, he promises to prove his nickname and show why 100 is greater than even the Perfect 10.

5jEh3K2.jpg

Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Austin Aries

While there were many reasons NXT took the spotlight away from the WWE's signature event this past April, most of the buzz was pointed squarely at the epic debut match of Shinsuke Nakamura, as "The King of Strong Style" and Sami Zayn, in their first-ever meeting, had an instant classic of a match that was arguably the best of the weekend, and showed to the world what fans of New Japan had known for years - that Nakamura is one of the best wrestlers in the world. However, all of the attention did not sit well with another man who made his televised debut that evening, namely "The Greatest Man that Ever Lived."

Austin Aries, a world-traveled star of TNA and Ring of Honor, defeated Baron Corbin in Dallas, a victory that was quickly overshadowed by Nakamura and Zayn's epic encounter. Things would continue to grow dicey between the two men in a tag team match against Blake and Murphy, where Nakamura refused to tag in Aries and took the win for his team. A week later, William Regal saw the opportunity in front of him, and signed a battle between "A Double" and "Swagsuke" for TakeOver: The End, a match that will be their first against one another. And with both men's accolades outside of WWE very well-known, we could be in for another match of the year candidate when these two do battle in this epic dream match.

NXT Tag Team Championship

X99Y5xR.jpg

American Alpha (Chad Gable and Jason Jordan) (c) vs. The Revival (Dash Wilder and Scott Dawson)

Despite being generic to the point where fans can't tell them apart, Dash Wilder and Scott Dawson are one of the most feared teams in NXT history, with a nearly six month reign as NXT Tag Team champions. That reign, however, came to an end at TakeOver: Dallas, as they faced one of the most physically gifted teams in NXT history, former amateur wrestling standouts Chad Gable and Jason Jordan, collectively known as American Alpha.

Now, The Revival, known for their old school brawling and underhanded tactics reminiscent of teams gone by, have invoked their rematch clause and are prepared for an epic rematch of their classic encounter with Gable and Jordan. Will American Alpha's pure wrestling skill allow them to retain their titles? Or will it be a true revival at TakeOver: The End, as Dash and Dawson get back what they believe is rightfully theirs?

NXT Women's Championship

I2MFrlp.jpg

Asuka (c) vs. Nia Jax

Since her debut late last year, Asuka has proven to be one of the most dominant newcomers, male or female, in the history of NXT. And at TakeOver: Dallas, she rode that momentum to an epic victory over the beloved NXT Women's champion Bayley, as she made her pass out in the dreaded Asuka Lock to win the title and keep her undefeated streak intact. While a rematch with Bayley was expected for this event, a
worked
knee injury at the hands of the powerful Nia Jax has kept her out of this event, an opportunity Jax took advantage of as she won a triple threat match with Alexa Bliss and Carmella to become #1 contender and get a title opportunity at TakeOver: The End.

Now, Asuka faces her toughest test yet as she faces the mighty Amazonian-like Jax, whose sheer power and strength makes her among the most feared NXT competitors regardless of gender. And if Asuka wants to keep both her title reign and unblemished record intact, she will have to have the fight of her life.

NXT Championship - Steel Cage Match

XaXZzIG.jpg

Samoa Joe (c) vs. Finn Bálor

Since winning the NXT championship nearly one year ago, Finn Bálor was seemingly unstoppable, readily defending his title against all comers and proving his worth as one of the best wrestlers in the world. However, he would soon come to meet his greatest challenge after Samoa Joe, who teamed with Bálor to win the 2015 Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic, turned on his partner and challenged him at NXT TakeOver: London, falling short in his attempt to win the championship. The two would meet again in another epic encounter at TakeOver: Dallas, where Bálor would again be victorious in a battle marred by a cut Joe suffered which caused numerous interruptions to stop the bleeding. It seemed like their rivalry had come to an end - that is, until a seemingly nondescript NXT house show in Lowell, Massachusetts, where Joe would end Bálor's record-setting 292 day-long NXT championship reign in front of a shocked crowd.

Now, in order to bring a concise conclusion to one of NXT's greatest rivalries, NXT GM William Regal has ordered the first-ever steel cage match in NXT history between these two men, where there will be no one to stop the bleeding, no way to interfere with the action, and most importantly, no rules. And while Joe feels that Bálor will have no way to win when he is locked inside of a cage with a monster, Joe forgets that he himself will be locked in a cage with the Demon. And no matter who walks out of TakeOver with the championship, it will truly be The End.

Balor vs Joe in a cage match? Sounds good to me.

Lucha had a cage match recently with Mundo vs. Cage that was insane. Chairshots to the face and people flying off the top of the cage. It was everything that used be good about the WWE before they went PG.

Couleurs

Nakamura/Aries is going to be awesome. Hopefully AA/Revival will be as good as their match from WM weekend.

Ithil

Seems like the definition of a filler Takeover to tide over til the more major one in Brooklyn, but even that should be a superb night of entertainment.

RBH

Aries has been pretty ho-hum so far in NXT, so it will be interesting to see if he steps up to the plate tomorrow.

abundant

This event really felt like it crept up fast. Super excited though.

I think the reason why that is, is because the first four weeks after Takeover Dallas was all filler. So we only got 5 weeks of buildup for this Takeover, which is shorter than usual.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Only interested in Sombra's debut. Nakamura being wasted on Aries. It's not 2006 anymore.

I wouldn't mind seeing Finn killed off live by Joe, but I doubt that'll happen

Ithil

This event really felt like it crept up fast. Super excited though.

Is this even that arguable? Takeover Dallas was easily better.

I have had indigestion more enjoyable than WM32, all 47 hours of it, so it is not saying a lot, to be fair.

Brinbe

These events haven't disappointed yet. Hope AA/The Revival somehow top their last encounter. Also, let them fully unleash monster Joe from a decade ago.

JustinBB7

Are these normally on weekdays? I watched the last one but that was on saturday before mania.

Hype for (as scott steiner would say it) Smoe Joe/Asuka/Aries/Nakamura

Ithil

Are these normally on weekdays? I watched the last one but that was on saturday before mania.

All of them except for Takeover Brooklyn and Dallas were on weekdays, instead of the regular NXT episode. Those two were attached to WWE PPVs, hence why they were part of the weekend instead.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Not particularly excited for this card outside of AA/Revival and Joe/Balor. I'm sure at worst the show will just be very good instead of amazing.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Unless they're not at Full Sail, they are typically on regular NXT days.

somedevil

Look forward towards the show and Triple H did give an update about Itami:

Triple H is currently conducting an NXT Takeover media call, and during the call Triple H provided an update on Hideo Itami’s status and noted that he wants Itami at 100% before he returns to an NXT ring. Triple H added that Itami has suffered some rehab setbacks with scar tissue and mobility issues, and he continues to recover from surgery.

So he is close to coming back.

Jax has done dark matches with Asuka since 'mania, I hear they sucked. I hope this one will be better.

The other matches should all be great.

I really need to catch up on nxt, has nakamura had much screen time since all the filler?

A few matches and a couple of short but effective promos.

In fact his promos are even better because of not only his natural charisma, but the fact that his english isn't that great, so the writers make sure they're short and to the point, rather then having him waffle aimlessly like a lot of wwf promos these days.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I really need to catch up on nxt, has nakamura had much screen time since all the filler?

As much as anyone that isn't Joe/Balor.

Jax has done dark matches with Asuka since 'mania, I hear they sucked. I hope this one will be better.

The other matches should all be great.

A few matches and a couple of short but effective promos.

In fact his promos are even better because of not only his natural charisma, but the fact that his english isn't that great, so the writers make sure they're short and to the point, rather then having him waffle aimlessly like a lot of wwf promos these days.

Unless his English somehow got worse hanging around people speaking English all day, his bad English is a work. He certainly isn't a completely fluent speaker but he can totally speak English well enough to cut a better promo than the ones he's doing where he acts like he can say maybe one sentence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgM801-dfzs

bigkrev

Joe and Balor are both going to be main roster guys in less than a month, so I'm really curious what the angle they do in the main event will be.

Angry Grimace

Joe and Balor are both going to be main roster guys in less than a month, so I'm really curious what the angle they do in the main event will be.

Club is gonna show up outside the cage.

Balor's losing and will join The Club at MITB costing Cena. Joe will probably continue as champion until TakeOver Brooklyn where he'll lose the title to Nakamura. Wouldn't be surprised if we then close out the year with TakeOver: Tokyo from Korakuen (as has been rumored) which will feature Nakamura vs. Itami for the title.

bigkrev

Club is gonna show up outside the cage.

I think they want to save the surprise of Balor being in the Club for a main roster show than an NXT special. If NXT had a Money in the Bank or similar McGuffin, it would make sense to use it here, but without that, this cage match is either going to end in either a no contest due to a new faction debuting (which, being that this is the first cage match in the promotions history, would kill the gimmick forever), or Joe pinning Balor and then having him get beaten down by a new character.

It feels like Joe is needed on the main roster more than Balor is right now with the lack of heels and the coming split, but putting the belt back on Balor only to have him loose it in 6 weeks hurts the title. It's a really weird situation right now.

I think they want to save the surprise of Balor being in the Club for a main roster show than an NXT special. If NXT had a Money in the Bank or similar McGuffin, it would make sense to use it here, but without that, this cage match is either going to end in either a no contest due to a new faction debuting (which, being that this is the first cage match in the promotions history, would kill the gimmick forever), or Joe pinning Balor and then having him get beaten down by a new character.

It feels like Joe is needed on the main roster more than Balor is right now with the lack of heels and the coming split, but putting the belt back on Balor only to have him loose it in 6 weeks hurts the title. It's a really weird situation right now.

It feels like almost a certainty that Balor will be a heel on the main roster and a member of The Club. The problem is that if you move Joe up, you then have zero heels that can take his place as top heel in NXT, except maybe Aries? This is why moving Corbin and Crews up so early was a mistake, even if Vince is super high on them (and Dana Brooke)

Kurita

Nakamura will kick some charisma into Aries. This dude is incredibly bland.

Asuka will destroy Nia Boring Jax.

Joe vs Finn will be great stuff.

AA to retain.

Angry Grimace

I don't think Finn and Joe are still on the NXT roster after this show. I wouldn't even be surprised if Joe straight up vacates the NXT title to head to the main roster (Paige did this with the Women's NXT title).

I also don't think Finn is going to join the Ammo Club. I'm guessing he's going to fight against them, not with them. They already did that angle with Styles and had him do a heel turn (which, despite Styles' popularity, was the right call).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom