• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS Hardware Info (Conference At 10 PST/1 EST Today)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxrunner

Celine said:
The "Nintendo never leaks" meme refers to the fact that Nintendo leaks usually won't come out one week or more before an event like happen so often for other companies.
When you had to do with other partners and media you can't keep a secret.

what five leaked games are we talking about?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Even though it's probably just speculation the date and price sound pretty solid to me. I'll be shocked if it doesn't make the end of the year in Japan, and early 2011 sounds plausible for the European market.

200 Euros also seems on the money, even if its 50 Euros more than the DSlite/DSi launch prices.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
joshwaan said:
Specs sound ok nothing fantastic or anything.

I was expecting at least 256MB Ram since it's cheap and 5GB flash and dual 450MHZ ARM CPU.

But this is a rumor we will know for sure 2 days can't wait :)
Yes, 256MB should be cheap by now, but is it Nintendo cheap, if you know what I mean?!?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Socreges said:
You're confusing things a bit. If we're going to say that a post that's been repeated is worth less, that's something different. I'd ask you who it's worth less to and why I would give a shit. Again, I just wanted to place my own objection to a quote observed in the OP. It was a relationship between my post and the OP, nothing more. In short, it depends on how you value a post. If it's based on what novelty it contributes to a thread, then I'd agree that my post was worth less. But that's not how I see it. I'm here to express my own thoughts with respect to the OP. I'd rather people not criticize me for not having read the 65 pages in-between.
I'm not confusing anything. Your post was worth less because it was flawed and its flaw has been discussed many times over. After a while, people get tired of going through the same (flawed) argument over and over again. I also said it's not your fault and it's hard to blame someone for not reading through such a long thread, but I guess you didn't notice or else we wouldn't be having this discussion (or at least I hope so).

Socreges said:
Obviously I've addressed this above, but since this point is slightly different I'll add (repeat): I disagree that the quote has been explained in such a way as to have it be true. Either it was poorly phrased or an exaggeration. "What he meant to say" is all well and good (and speculative), but allow me to still take issue with it.
What's speculative when the media we have proves "what he meant to say"? You're right when you say Kid Icarus looked like shit, but you're intentionally ignoring other screenshots and videos that do not, and that run on the same hardware.
So, questioning the machine's capabilities because of Kid Icarus being silly can be said without resorting to any speculation.

Portugeezer

abstract alien said:
One of the things I've been wondering about has to do with the comment capcom(?) made about motion blur. Maybe special effects in general, but Ill just use the motion blur example to ask.

Them saying that it doesn't look good in 3D and would be reserved for 2D made me wonder...are they talking about actually having effects that can be scaled according to the 3D slider? Is it really feasible to do something like that, where the less intensive you set the 3D, the more apparent the motion blur works?
I don't think so. I think they are comparing between full 3D and full 2D.

However I don't see why motion blur wouldn't work, I can imagine why the current system they use wouldn't, but I am sure other developers who will try to push the 3DS will find a way of using motion blur in 3D.

Portugeezer

Vic said:
Yes, 256MB should be cheap by now, but is it Nintendo cheap, if you know what I mean?!?
It's not just about the specs for me, it's what I have seen that has been impressive, and now if these specs are true it looks like the 3DS will be very affordable.

I admit a bit of me would like to see higher specs, so we shall see, but when seeing what was accomplished last gen with worse/similar specs there is nothing to worry about (3DS's resolution in total displays even less pixels. 800x240 = 190 000+ pixels, GCN was 640x480 = 300 000+ pixels).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
MisterHero said:
Am I crazy if I like how Kid Icarus looks and and animates? :(

Not at all. The animations look pretty wonderful and the draw distance is massive. Kid Icarus is being very, very specifically designed for 3D display. Soaring over landscapes with a true sense of depth and scale is going to be mind blowing. That scene with the screen being bathed in tons of red lasers fired from distant cannons? Yeah. That is going to rock.

But I do think the character art is pretty ugly :p.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
joshwaan said:

I was expecting at least 256MB Ram since it's cheap and 5GB flash and dual 450MHZ ARM CPU.

Out of curiosity, where are you pulling these figures out of?
Comparisons with iPhone and iPod Touch specs?

EuropeOG said:
It's not just about the specs for me, but when seeing what was accomplished last gen with worse/similar specs there is nothing to worry about (3DS's resolution in total displays even less pixels. 800x240 = 190 000+ pixels, GCN was 640x480 = 300 000+ pixels).
You forgot the lower screen. It's 268 800 total pixels. Still less than the GCN's 307 200 though.

Resident Evil looks really awesome partly because its screens and trailers have 2xAA, which Capcom has said is disabled in 3D mode due to the extra strain on the processor.

Kid Icarus doesn't have any AA because Nintendo is being honest about how it will look in 3D.

GCX

Kid Icarus had a lot of rough edges in the E3 trailer but that's to be expected from a new game that's only been development for little over an year.

It needs some time.

Portugeezer

Jocchan said:
Out of curiosity, where are you pulling these figures out of?
Comparisons with iPhone and iPod Touch specs?

You forgot the lower screen. It's 268 800 total pixels. Still less than the GCN's 307 200 though.
I am focussing on which will be displaying the full graphics.

Lower screen will probably be used very little for graphics, maybe some menu, items, inventory, etc. Not really taking power away from the top screen.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
UncleSporky said:
Resident Evil looks really awesome partly because its screens and trailers have 2xAA, which Capcom has said is disabled in 3D mode due to the extra strain on the processor.
I don't remember reading this anywhere.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
GCX said:
I don't really see Mario Kart or Layton being ready for launch.

I actually don't see why they wouldn't be.

Luigiv

EuropeOG said:

Lower screen will probably be used very little for graphics, maybe some menu, items, inventory, etc. Not really taking power away from the top screen.
It's still going to take up frame buffer and pixel fill, so you can't really discount it.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
EuropeOG said:

Yes, with the touchscreen not being 3D I can see most games not using it much... but, in general, you never know how the developers might want to use it.

Luigiv said:
It's still going to take up frame buffer and pixel fill, so you can't really discount it.
With 4 MB VRAM it should be far from being an issue.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
cw_sasuke said:
Sunday issue of the german newspaper BILD says its launchin Nov 11th in Japan. And Q1 next year in europe with Mario Kart, Zelda OoT, Layton. as launch games. Pricepoint 200€..... hmm...
November 11 is Thursday. It won't happen.

Portugeezer

Luigiv said:
Oh right, I'm don't know much about these things, just the basics (I don't even know what you mean by frame buffer...)

Vic said:
I am pretty sure it was on Capcom's site where they explained the effects such as HDR, motion blur, bump mapping, etc. 3D didn't have 2xAA on Capcom's MT Framework engine.

Empty

I'd say Mario Kart is a good call for a launch title, it should be made by EAD group 1 who haven't released a game since MKWii back in early 2008, giving them ample time to make it and Nintendogs and Cats, and given the size of the franchise these days it'd be the perfect way to generate excitement around the launch with a popular title, and great portable game, that the entire demographic aimed at by the system can enjoy.

Vic said:

It was in the pile of info when they talked about their MT framework.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-resi-3ds-tech-blog-entry

Also intriguing is that Capcom is planning to support the 2D mode of the 3DS hardware with additional graphical features you won't find when stereo 3D is engaged. Both motion blur and anti-aliasing are in place when the depth slider on the 3DS is set to the minimum. In 2D mode, running at a 400x240 resolution, far more in the way GPU resources are available to make these effects possible.

wsippel

Banned
joshwaan said:

Even RAM consumes power. Less RAM means lower power consumption. It's also worth noting that you need less memory if you have faster mass storage, and Nintendo uses a very memory efficient GPU (procedural textures, polygon subdivision). And we don't even know what kind of RAM the 3DS uses - if it isn't standard LPDDR, it's not necessarily cheap. Gamecube and Wii both use custom built, rather expensive PSRAM for example.

EatChildren

Empty said:
I'd say Mario Kart is a good call for a launch title, it should be made by EAD group 1 who haven't released a game since MKWii back in early 2008, giving them ample time to make it and Nintendogs and Cats, and given the size of the franchise these days it'd be the perfect way to generate excitement around the launch with a popular title, and great portable game, that the entire demographic aimed at by the system can enjoy.

Out of everything announced from Nintendo so far Nintendogs + Cats and Mario Kart 3DS are easily the best choices for launch, if just for how much money they will pull.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Honestly, I was hoping for Mario Kart not to be a launch title. The screenshots they showed at E3 looked very early.

XPE

Mario kart will not make the launch, i think it will be the 1st big game for the 1st full Christmas season that the 3DS is on sale. (2011)

The 3DS will sell its self, Nintendo will use that to their advantage and try to launch or re-launch some franchises like KI or starfox

DonMigs85

szaromir said:
Weren't most of Gamecube's games interlaced?
Au contraire, most supported progressive scan but the usual rendering resolution was 640 x 448. It was PS2 that was mostly interlaced.
And how Polyphony pulled off 1080i in GT4, I'll never know.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
So US media are apparently not invited... but I'm hearing EU media were told...

Will we see portable games with graphic options? That you can choose between playing in 3D with some effects turned off, or not in 3D but with some effects like motion blur turned on?

EatChildren

GasProblem said:
Will we see portable games with graphic options? That you can choose between playing in 3D with some effects turned off, or not in 3D but with some effects like motion blur turned on?

Capcom seem to think so, but the 3D is controlled by the slider not by any options menu.

VOOK said:
So US media are apparently not invited... but I'm hearing EU media were told...

Where di you hear this? As in, EU media were told to come, or just told about the event?

VOOK

EatChildren said:
Where di you hear this? As in, EU media were told to come, or just told about the event?

Someone who has told me stuff before and doesn't bullshit. Told to come is what I was told.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
frankie_baby said:
Ooh so perhaps Japan and eu this year then

They need the 3ds this year in europe - + the price drop for ds/xl happened here 2-3 months before the one in us i think.

cw_sasuke said:
They need the 3ds this year in europe - + the price drop for ds/xl happened here 2-3 months before the one in us i think.
I've been thinking this for ages, especially seeing how saturated with dss The uk is and the piracy/sales drop off thing

KAL2006

Banned
cw_sasuke said:
Sunday issue of the german newspaper BILD says its launchin Nov 11th in Japan. And Q1 next year in europe with Mario Kart, Zelda OoT, Layton. as launch games. Pricepoint 200€..... hmm...

If 200 Euros price is true, that is a good price point, isn't that around £170 which is £10 less than the Wii when it launched in the UK. £170 is still too much for me, but if it comes with a game I would bite.

Metal B

cw_sasuke said:

Its the BILD newspaper, not a great source you want to use.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
200 Euros is around $270. That's way too high if they go for that price point in America.

Koren

DonMigs85 said:
And how Polyphony pulled off 1080i in GT4, I'll never know.
It's not real 1080i, in fact. The game is rendered at 960x540 (which is more than 640x480, but not in an entire different league), then pixels are doubled on each horizontal lines, giving a 1920x540 resolution (ergo 1080i)

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Plinko said:
200 Euros is around $270. That's way too high if they go for that price point in America.
Nintendo will probably go for a € = $ route, with $199 in America and €199 in Europe.
And probably £169-179 in the UK.

VOOK

I reckon here in Australia, the 3DS will be the same price as the XL is now. We're one price drop behind in Australia so the XL drops to the DSi price, the DSi to drop again.

Works for me.

Koren

EatChildren said:
Capcom seem to think so, but the 3D is controlled by the slider not by any options menu.
I'm prett sure developpers can read the slider value. Adding 2xAA is simply doing a post-processing in the stereoscopic image (a [0.5 0.5] filter) if both PoV are the same and the GPU actually render things cleverly.

Celine

cw_sasuke said:
DarthVaderNoooooo.jpg

It's believable though.

KAL2006

Banned
I find it hard to believe both Nintendogs and Mario Kart will be launch titles. Both of those games are some of DS's best ever selling games on the handheld, it would be strange to launch 2 of the best selling franchises at launch, it would be a better idea to save one of the games for a sales boost for another time of the 3DS's life.

wrowa

Plinko said:
Wii's launch price in the US: 250$
Wii's launch price in Europe: 250€

We are used to that kind of rip-off, we aren't even complaining anymore.

Sapiens

MisterHero said:
Am I crazy if I like how Kid Icarus looks and and animates? :(

4zypau.gif

This is the best Avatar I've ever seen.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
KAL2006 said:
I find it hard to believe both Nintendogs and Mario Kart will be launch titles. Both of those games are some of DS's best ever selling games on the handheld, it would be strange to launch 2 of the best selling franchises at launch, it would be a better idea to save one of the games for a sales boost for another time of the 3DS's life.

I dont know if this is really needed with those kind of games - if they are ready nintendo will ship them, since the games will keep on selling for the next 5 years. You also have to remeber that tha last versions of those games cam out 4-5 years ago on the DS. If those 3DS games can use the new networkfeatures like Tag mode, Nintendo will put out those heavy hitters as fast as possible to make sure that users know about those functions and use them.

MK 3DS, AC 3DS and Nintendogs will probably out in the first couple months. 3DS should sell out regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom