• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS Hardware Info (Conference At 10 PST/1 EST Today)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackano

Someone need to retrieve the GAF topic about Iwata's keynote back to september 2005 when he revealed the wiimote and the nunchuk. The reactions wasn't exactly positives but this is the same kind of event.

Beth Cyra

Jackano said:
Someone need to retrieve the GAF topic about Iwata's keynote back to september 2005 when he revealed the wiimote and the nunchuk. The reactions wasn't exactly positives but this is the same kind of event.

What? I could of sworn that the Wii Remote actually debuted at TGS when Iwata gave a Keynote and showed it off.

wrowa

Jackano said:
It's not the same event. The Wiimote was unveiled during Iwata's TGS keynote, this upcoming event is the fall conference Nintendo has pretty much every year by now.

joshwaan said:
Specs sound ok nothing fantastic or anything.

I was expecting at least 256MB Ram since it's cheap and 5GB flash and dual 450MHZ ARM CPU.

But this is a rumor we will know for sure 2 days can't wait :)
At LEAST 256MB RAM? What the hell is the 3DS supposed to do with so much RAM? It would be a complete waste of money. Dual 450MHz CPU? Sure that would work, if you want 3 hours worth of battery life.

EDIT: 200€ sounds great.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
QuiteWhittle said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27843
I find this thread just as funny. This guy was, in the long run, fairly accurate in his predictions but he was still insulted and trolled by the majority of GAF who all thought the PSP would sell much more than the DS. Just shows how unpredictable this Generation was.

Memles' post #4: "DS will NOT be the successor to the GBA and will NOT sell as many units as the GBA/GBASP have. That is very simply a fact."

jman2050

Maybe I missed speculation in this direction, but perhaps the missing 512 MB in the 3DS's available storage is because the space is going to be used for a "pack-in" game of sorts? Something like Wii Sports except integrated into every sold device?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Stumpokapow said:
Memles' post #4: "DS will NOT be the successor to the GBA and will NOT sell as many units as the GBA/GBASP have. That is very simply a fact."
Soo good :lol

Dreamwriter said:
Because people will pay that much at launch, enough people that the system will be sold out for months.

Gouging early adopters is an insanely naive strategy, though. You have to be prepared to drop your price within less than a year (otherwise your sales lag after you burn through your early adopters) and you wind up making your system look weak (by dropping the price early) and pissing off those same early adopters who you so visibly and unrepentantly gouged.

Nintendo's stated (and enacted) strategy is to pick a price that is profitable for them and which they can avoid dropping for as long as possible -- the extra cash from not price-dropping later more than makes up for the money "left on the table" from the early adopters -- and then, if their system is successful enough, steadily raising the price with new extra-special editions like the DSi. Overpricing the system at launch to gouge early adopters is the antithesis of this (significantly better) strategy, which is why assuming Nintendo will do so makes no sense.

Neo C. said:
Has anyone predicted a 3DS for 16'900 Yen or less? Or do you guys still hope for 1 USD = 100 yen?

The LL is ¥18,000 now, so we'd be theorizing a ¥20,000 3DS, definitely.

I raised one potential exception to my "the 3DS will be $200" theory before -- it could be more if they pack it in with a game, a la the Wii -- and I'm going to add another now: given currency exchange rates, I could easily believe a scenario where the 3DS launches at ¥20,000 in Japan, €200 in Europe -- and $250 in the US.

Father_Brain said:
It would be incredibly bizarre for EU media to be invited but not US media, unless 3DS is launching this year in Europe and Japan but not the US... which would actually be even more bizarre.

The US is both the DS' strongest territory (it's sank a lot in Japan and fell off a cliff in the EU) and therefore can most effectively anchor one more holiday season here, and the US has by far the shittiest currency situation for Japan's purposes (so if they have the capacity to launch in two territories upfront, the US is the most cost-effective one to leave out.)

ksamedi

SonyCowboy said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27843:

Put the PSP next to the DS in the eyes of a customer and you can bury the DS the next day. The DS started very well, but so did the Dreamcast.

The DS, IMHO, was a knee jerk reaction to the PSP and is sloppy all the way down the board. The launch titles between the two systems are night and day. The DS couldn't even sell 1-1 software to hardware.

The PSP is over a generation ahead in terms of technology and is going to wipe the floor with the DS.

I completely respect Nintendo as a software company, but as far as hardware is concerned, they are a sheep lost in the woods, and Sony is coming home to grandma's house (how's that for mixed literary allusions? )

The DS will sell decently for 6-12 months, but it's so far behind the PSP, customers are going to jump ship.

:lol

To be fair its easy to make fun of old posts. I remember myself also thinking along these lines :)

Jenga

Banned
all I knew back then was that the ds and the wii was gonna kick ass and it did

i'd like to fist bump myself through time

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
kamikaze said:
thursday launch? wikipedia says DS, DSL, and GBA SP launched on a thursday so i guess it's not impossible.
Nintendo has abandoned Thursday releases for big hardware/software launches since 2006.

snesfreak

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
georgelaugh2.gif

charlequin said:
The US is both the DS' strongest territory (it's sank a lot in Japan and fell off a cliff in the EU) and therefore can most effectively anchor one more holiday season here, and the US has by far the shittiest currency situation for Japan's purposes (so if they have the capacity to launch in two territories upfront, the US is the most cost-effective one to leave out.)

I'm not saying that there's no conceivable reason why 3DS might launch in Europe before the US, just noting it would be almost unprecedented for Europe not to get the short end of the stick with a hardware launch.

FoneBone

Another ancient-thread favorite:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=549100&postcount=90
drohne said:
i enjoy the argument that "nintendo knows the handheld market!!!" history won't get you a thing in the marketplace; judge nintendo and sony by their most recent products. psp is a brilliantly engineered, eminently marketable handheld at a cutthroat price. it gives gamers what they so plainly want rather than telling them what they should want. ds is an oddball contraption conceptualized by an old coot rather than the designers who won nintendo their fame. the hardware's a generation behind, and it's hardly any cheaper. it uses the same chip as the fucking n-gage, which ea's john riticello rightly recognized as a dog the moment he touched it. nintendo obviously do not know the handheld market. not anymore.

and it's astonishing that people think nintendo can shrug the ds off and introduce another portable shortly thereafter, with no negative impact to their brand or credibility, simply because the ds isn't called "game boy." you might look to the example of sega. that's who nintendo looks increasingly like. a very cash-rich sega with better ip.

Father_Brain said:
I'm not saying that there's no conceivable reason why 3DS might launch in Europe before the US, just noting it would be almost unprecedented for Europe not to get the short end of the stick with a hardware launch.

Oh, yeah, I agree entirely, but... <dylan>The times..... they are a-chaaaaaangin'...</dylan>

FoneBone said:

What I like about that post is that with the exception of the broadest editorializing ("Nintendo don't know the handheld market, not anymore", "Nintendo is the new Sega") that post is a pretty accurate description of the PSP and the DS but still comes to entirely the wrong conclusion.

FoneBone

Actually, the other thing that's surprising about those 2004 DS/PSP threads is how many people actually bought the "third pillar" nonsense, and believed Nintendo was actively developing a GBA2 alongside the DS.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Koren said:
It's not real 1080i, in fact. The game is rendered at 960x540 (which is more than 640x480, but not in an entire different league), then pixels are doubled on each horizontal lines, giving a 1920x540 resolution (ergo 1080i)
GT4 renders 640x540 for 1080i.

Cru Jones

FoneBone said:
Actually, the other thing that's surprising about those 2004 DS/PSP threads is how many people actually bought the "third pillar" nonsense, and believed Nintendo was actively developing a GBA2 alongside the DS.
I still believe they were. You are crazy if you thought Nintendo didn't have a back up plan in case this radical idea didn't catch on

FoneBone said:

It made sense provided you started from the assumption that Nintendo "knew" PSP would win based its superior specs, and that DS was so obviously inferior to PSP that it couldn't be anything other than a stopgap.

GCX

FoneBone said:
The third pillar talk provided Nintendo a possible plan B if DS would've failed.

Luigiv

QuiteWhittle said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27843
I find this thread just as funny. This guy was, in the long run, fairly accurate in his predictions but he was still insulted and trolled by the majority of GAF who all thought the PSP would sell much more than the DS. Just shows how unpredictable this Generation was.
Duckroll said:
Ok here's my entire take on this issue. This is the opinion I've had before the DS was even released, and after the PSP is released I stand by it all the more.

In the short run (let's say within the entire year of 2005) the DS is king. In terms of sales there is no doubt at all and in terms of actual real support from developers and titles released instead of simply being announced there is also no doubt. Nintendo fans will flock to the DS just as they have flocked to the GBC and the GBA. Will these fans be impressed? That's another story entirely, but for a short term analysis that doesn't really matter. The gimmick of the touch screen will be effective in luring in the crowds simply due to the appeal of how you "play" the games and the DS will be the new "toy" in the market. And I mean toy in every sense of the word, it's fun, it's gimmicky, it's kiddie.

What about the PSP? The PSP isn't a short-term gimmick device out to lure the kiddies, it's a solid multimedia device that is geared towards the "in" crowd. Tech-geeks, young adults, PS2 owners. It'll take awhile for the masses to adapt to the PSP and understand that there's actually a new competitor in the handheld GAMES market, but there's no doubt that the great graphics and various multimedia functions the PSP offers -will- attract the mainstream. It will attract those who have a PS2, and it will attract those who want a cool new portable device.

What will happen in the long term? As long as the PSP survives the initial period it needs to draw the masses (say about 6 months) without turning into a complete flop or killing Sony financially, Nintendo will have a serious problem. The problem will not be that the PSP is selling MORE than the DS, the problem will be that they have designed themselves into a corner. In a year or say 2 years, there'll be a very complete PSP and DS library of games. But by then, the DS will look like complete and utter shit compared to the PSP once both systems have reached their peak and developers have gotten the hang of getting the most out of the systems.

Now with the GBA or the GBC, Nintendo always had the advantage of being 100% backwards compartible and instantly have a library of tons of solid games for any new handheld launch. They won't have the same luxury with the next one, because it will NOT be compartible with DS games. I'm certain of this, why? Because of the two-screen/touch-screen gimmick in the DS. Gimmicks only work once, the next system isn't going to be a dual-screen/touch-screen system unless Nintendo is stupid. Instead to truly compete with the PSP or the PSP2, Nintendo will need a killer handheld which surpasses the PSP in technology. But Nintendo will be starting from square one, and this time Sony will have the upper hand with a large PSP library which will also most likely be compartible with the PSP2 if they decide to release a new system.

This means that anything made during the Nintendo DS period will be rendered completely irrelevent. Nintendo cannot use any of the experience or software in this entire period in a future war. Anything made on the DS can only be played on the DS and because of the huge technological gap between the DS and the PSP, I just don't think the DS is going to be around or on the top of Nintendo's agenda for very long. That's pretty much a big waste isn't it? Sony has entered the market with the PSP with a very clear exit strategy. Their gameplan might not have been all that clear, but what is clear is that they know that when the time comes for the PSP to move on to the PSP2, none of the PSP's library or the PSP's functionalities will be lost in the next generation. Nintendo on the other hand has a very clear gameplan with the DS on how to capture the market from launch but no real plan that I can see for staying in the market for long or even exiting gracefully.

So to sum it up, I think that in 2005, the DS will be king in terms of sales and in terms of actual quality software released. But in the long run, 2006 and beyond, unless something changes right now, Sony will win by default simply by outlasting and outsurviving Nintendo's aggressive "now" strategy.
Oh Duckroll, so close and yet so far.
Please don't ban me.

Celine

AmICoolYet said:
Right, in the sense that he was completely wrong on all accounts.
Well, DS eradicated the GameBoy brand and it will end up selling twice as much as the GBA :D

EDIT:
Damn you, Chris.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom